Feb 12

Blog Cabin 2013 Winners Swing by HGTV Headquarters

A note from Kayla: I’d like to introduce you to managing editor Virginia Moon who will be your guide on all things DIY Network Blog Cabin 2014. If you’ve found yourself flipping through the (beautiful!) home improvement photo galleries on HGTVRemodels.com and lost in projects on DIY Network’s Made + Remade blog, then you’re likely already familiar with Virginia’s top-notch writing and editing. Please join me in welcoming Virginia to the blog!

blog cabin 2013 winners

Hi all -

I’m excited to be on board as your new guide for all things Blog Cabin! I recently had the pleasure of meeting the winners of Blog Cabin 2013 as they passed through town a few weeks ago. Mari Cabrera-Hickerson, along with her husband Ken, son Alex, and dog Kokaei came by the HGTV headquarters to pick up the keys to their new home in North Carolina!

The family’s cross-country road trip started in Culver City, Calif., they stopped in Albuquerque, NM to visit family, and  pulled into Knoxville, Tenn. on a snowy Tuesday morning. They were going to hit the road to Atlantic, NC after picking up their keys, but plans changed when they were snowed in for the night. The next morning the Blog Cabin winners packed up and headed out, making it safely to their new home.

I was able to catch up with the family during the visit about their plans for the house.  While Mari loves everything about the home, she says “I plan on adding pictures of my grandchildren to personalize it.” The couple would also like to build a garage with a loft  for the grand kids.

Aside from minor changes, Mari wants to celebrate with a family reunion this summer. What a perfect way to share her big win!

Thanks again, Mari, for stopping by. We wish you and your family many wonderful memories in your new home!

Read More About the Blog Cabin 2013 Winner >>

• Posted at 9:20 pm on February 2, 2014

1. Yes Vergina it was snowing in PA again today. My wife and I desided to pack away all her snowmen for the year. ( I have just had it with all this snow. Groundhog or no groundhog the snowmen had to go). Some went quietly but other went kicking and screaming into their boxes and totes. By the time they were all put away it stopped snowing. Maybe we were on to something. Wish you all well.<3

Jay Michajluk on February 15, 2014 at 1:55 pm
    • If it starts snowing again, you may want to check and see if you left one out. LOL :)

Eugenia27 on February 15, 2014 at 5:11 pm
    • I did do a walk though the house and did find one along the back side of our dry sink. Through a shopping bag over him and took him to be with the others. (he did go quietly).

Jay Michajluk on February 15, 2014 at 9:33 pm
    • LOL tht is funny. Too much snow is not funny but I'd rather have that still than too much heat!

minitoni on February 16, 2014 at 8:32 pm
  2. Wow Must have been a world wind, How EXCITING>>>>> I sure do miss that place! How much snow did you get?LOL

COOLSMILEY on February 15, 2014 at 1:57 pm
    • It is more of how long it has lasted on the ground. With snow every 3 to 4 days it has kept the ground covered. We have 18 to 24 around our yard with more where it has drifted. Had to go out yesturday and uncover the vents for heat and water. We have had snow on the ground every day from just after Thanksgiving until today. There are some parts of the yard that only have about 6" but I can not get to them. Will keep you posted if the lack of snowmen helps the temp go up. The towns around here have use up most of their salt for the year. It is hard to get more and it cost so much money. There goes our taxes.

Jay Michajluk on February 15, 2014 at 2:11 pm
    • R U IN THE OUTTER BANKS? Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

COOLSMILEY on February 15, 2014 at 2:22 pm
    • South central PA 70 miles due north of DC.

Jay Michajluk on February 15, 2014 at 4:54 pm
    • Oh , I thought the snow u were referring to was in NC?

COOLSMILEY on February 15, 2014 at 5:38 pm
    • Jay, sweetie, I cannot imagine your weather. We've had bizarre weather here in Texas for a few years now. But nothing compares to what you and others are going through. I sure wish there was some way for you to capture your snow and send it to Sochi!
      Nothing, weather-wise, makes any sense this year.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 15, 2014 at 9:36 pm
    • Tomight we are trying to watch Sochi on NBC. The US and RUS hockey game. Great win for the US. The cable keeps going out. The wind is blowing so hard. The snow that we got this morning is just blowing every where. Hard to keep the roads dry. Went out to eat for supper and the snow was blown over the roads around us making black ice. I have a 2014 GMC Arcadia Denali and it completely takes over if traction is disrupted. It freaks you out at first but is a good thing to keep you on the road.

Jay Michajluk on February 15, 2014 at 9:52 pm
    • Oh yes, another great win for the US hockey team. In O/T no less. Once again we are teaching Russia not to 'puck' with the USA. (I had a T-shirt saying so from back in '78!)
      I know about black ice, I had to drive on it every night for weeks at a time back when I was a rookie in '75 thru '77. I got so used to being on slick roads (mostly blacktop) that occasionally I would hit my breaks to see if the roads were still slick. You couldn't tell if the road was iced over or not by looking at it.
      We are warm here now, really warm, unusually warm, too warm. Don't know where this is all going.
      Go USA!!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 15, 2014 at 10:37 pm
  3. Happy that Mari and family made it safely to their new Blog Cabin home! Welcome to Virginia!

Sha on February 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm
    • Thank you Sha!

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 5:14 pm
  4. L@@K @ my Crisp, Clean Sleek IOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((0))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    100n HUGS for ALL!!

COOLSMILEY on February 15, 2014 at 5:42 pm
    • Congrats Cool on your cool, crisp 100!! Blog on my friend, blog on!! :p

jchristie24 on February 15, 2014 at 9:03 pm
    • COOL, I love your post for hitting 100!

ChicagoBirder on February 19, 2014 at 5:50 pm
    • Smiling Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

COOLSMILEY on February 19, 2014 at 6:50 pm
  5. I think this is actually my 4th blogging house
    1) SMART
    2) DREAM
    3) BLOG
    4) SMART
    5) URBAN
    6)BLOG Hmm, maybe 6 or 7?? Wow, Im not usually that consistent!

COOLSMILEY on February 15, 2014 at 5:46 pm
    • Hi, your no. 5 needs modification for no. 5….it's definitely RURAL! LOL :)

djslay on February 17, 2014 at 6:27 pm
  6. It's so wonderful that Mari could actually keep her Blog Cabin !! Many, many years of a happy life there !!

gremol on February 16, 2014 at 1:30 pm
    • Many thanks Gremol! :)

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 5:17 pm
  7. So? Who's Dave?

Ralebird on February 16, 2014 at 4:53 pm
    • Someone who's 50 today. :)

DannyF on February 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm
  8. Great that you are taking over here Virginia but will miss you Kayla, thanks for all your hard work, and welcome to more for you Virginia! We will miss you Kayla and I'll be sure to visit the HGTVdesigns blog to see your work in progress.
    And to Mari (and Ken and Alex) Congratulations! I'm so glad you were able to make the move and keep the Blog Cabin 2013! It is wonderful to see a winner move in, and all the way across the country too! I hope you love Virginia and the beach there at your new home. I bet the dog will love it! I'm glad you made it safely and weren't too delayed by our recent snow mania! Thanks for that news, it was nice to see that post, albeit a couple of days late! Welcome Virginia!

minitoni on February 16, 2014 at 8:28 pm
    • And I'm glad to see you over here in the Blog Cabin blog.

Eugenia27 on February 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm
    • HA! I was just going to say the same thing! Welcome back, minitoni!

TwoCorgis on February 18, 2014 at 1:55 pm
    • Thanks Eugenia! I'm glad to be back!Sent from my iPad

minitoni on February 19, 2014 at 1:57 pm
      We do love the Down East NC area and the ocean….and our dog thinks he's in heaven…lol.
      Mari.

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 5:29 pm
    • I bet with that beach the dog is happy! And how about the boy? You can contact me if you wish through the blog site at the bottom of my id profile. I'm so very glad you like it there. You'll love the more colorful season changes than where you came from. And that was a long trip cross country! Have a great time in your new home! Sent from my iPad

minitoni on February 19, 2014 at 2:00 pm
    • Hello Minitoni,We all love it here. My husband's grown son Alex (28) accompanied us but he is not usually around us; when we got married (3 yrs ago) both his boys were grown and on their own but my youngest son was living at home and going to college. I can't wait for my own children and grandchildren to come and visit with us as we have been a tight knit single parent home for over 25 years. I talk to my children every day and see my grandkids a couple of times a week and sometimes more often. I will miss being this close to them but there are some advantages in having a place by t he beach and am hoping they will spend the summers with me.Mari.

Macusina on February 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm
    • Great! I'm sure you'll get to see your grandkids and children in the summer! They will love it there. Sounds like a great plan. I will hope with you that BC will be “the” vacation destination for your family all year round!Sent from my iPad

minitoni on February 19, 2014 at 4:04 pm
  9. She's last year's winner, but she just now gets the keys to the BC house she won last year? Why does it take so long?

AlainaMacGaren on February 17, 2014 at 3:08 am
    • Tax maybe.

Sally on February 17, 2014 at 9:08 am
    • I am sure it's all the paper work that has to be done and all that legal stuff the lawyers have to take care of too. That's how long it took the one that won the house here in Maine too.

home_girl on February 17, 2014 at 1:12 pm
    • Maybe it's because she had to prepare to move all the way across the country too? She probably had a home to sell in California and again all that paperwork, taxes, title transfer etc.

minitoni on February 17, 2014 at 5:30 pm
    • All of the above…also, it's only been a little over 3 months, not a year…

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 5:20 pm
  10. BEAUTIFUL day here in Central Florida!!! I'm in Tampa area – about 1hr from Winter Haven – The crew is going to enjoy the cool air this morning, but temps will be getting up to 79 by late afternoon! Luckily they have those gorgeous shade trees to take their breaks under – not to mention the water view! :)

CreativeGraf on February 17, 2014 at 9:30 am