Feb 12

Blog Cabin 2013 Winners Swing by HGTV Headquarters

A note from Kayla: I’d like to introduce you to managing editor Virginia Moon who will be your guide on all things DIY Network Blog Cabin 2014. If you’ve found yourself flipping through the (beautiful!) home improvement photo galleries on HGTVRemodels.com and lost in projects on DIY Network’s Made + Remade blog, then you’re likely already familiar with Virginia’s top-notch writing and editing. Please join me in welcoming Virginia to the blog!

blog cabin 2013 winners

Hi all -

I’m excited to be on board as your new guide for all things Blog Cabin! I recently had the pleasure of meeting the winners of Blog Cabin 2013 as they passed through town a few weeks ago. Mari Cabrera-Hickerson, along with her husband Ken, son Alex, and dog Kokaei came by the HGTV headquarters to pick up the keys to their new home in North Carolina!

The family’s cross-country road trip started in Culver City, Calif., they stopped in Albuquerque, NM to visit family, and  pulled into Knoxville, Tenn. on a snowy Tuesday morning. They were going to hit the road to Atlantic, NC after picking up their keys, but plans changed when they were snowed in for the night. The next morning the Blog Cabin winners packed up and headed out, making it safely to their new home.

I was able to catch up with the family during the visit about their plans for the house.  While Mari loves everything about the home, she says “I plan on adding pictures of my grandchildren to personalize it.” The couple would also like to build a garage with a loft  for the grand kids.

Aside from minor changes, Mari wants to celebrate with a family reunion this summer. What a perfect way to share her big win!

Thanks again, Mari, for stopping by. We wish you and your family many wonderful memories in your new home!

Read More About the Blog Cabin 2013 Winner >>

• Posted at 9:20 pm on February 2, 2014

1. What an exciting trip and time of their lives. Once the place is "personalized" all they need to do is pour the ice tea and sit back and enjoy. Congrats one more time!

smokesmom on February 12, 2014 at 9:44 pm
    • awesome,cant wait to see who wins this year…love getting to vote!!!!!

ronale on February 17, 2014 at 10:56 pm
    • Getting it 'personalized' slowly but surely :)

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 4:31 pm
  2. Mari and Ken, Enjoy your beautiful new home. And don't worry this is probably the most snow you will see there in a long time. This has been an unusual winter. Soon you will be basking in the sun on your dock, fishing and watching the dolphins frolicking in the surf. Keep us posted on the local happenings once you get settled in! <3

Boo on February 12, 2014 at 9:46 pm
    • Thank you Boo I am glad we got to see snow there…it was beautiful!

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 4:32 pm
  3. Ok, this is my second shot at posting a comment, seems the first try didn't take, well that's OK 'cause I have more to say. First of all welcome Virginia to the Blog Cabin! And what an exciting trip for Mari and family, clear across country! Hope you're settled in and the storms haven't been too scary. It's a wonderful home and will really feel like home once those Grandkids photos are gracing the walls.

smokesmom on February 12, 2014 at 9:51 pm
    • It wasn't too bad really, nice to see some snow. Also, etting some of those pics up :)

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 4:33 pm
  4. I was just thinking about the Cabrera-Hickerson family earlier today. Thank you so much for the update on their trek east! Mari and Ken, I hope you will share some of your adventures with your blog family, and maybe a few more pictures?

TwoCorgis on February 12, 2014 at 10:28 pm
    • Thank you Two…hopefully will send some pics to the network soon.

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 4:33 pm
    • Spring will be such a joyous adventure in your new home. All will awaken fresh and new. Blessings to you both. PS did you wind the clock?

Straybird on February 22, 2014 at 10:58 am
    • One of the first things I did was to set and wind the clock…love to hear it chime…Mari <3

Macusina on February 23, 2014 at 3:21 am
    • ^_^

Clive on February 23, 2014 at 10:54 am
    • Bless you. ??

Straybird on February 23, 2014 at 10:54 pm
    • Love and blessings to you <3

Macusina on February 24, 2014 at 1:05 am
  5. Pleased to meet you, Virginia! So glad you had a chance to meet with the 2013 winners and share their adventure with us.

grammagail on February 12, 2014 at 10:54 pm
  6. What an exciting time, picking up those keys had to be just unbelievable. Enjoy your new home and welcome Virginia!

lorie_N_NM on February 12, 2014 at 11:24 pm
    • It was very exciting. Thank you! :)

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 4:40 pm
  7. Glad to hear The winners of 2013 BC will be living in it. Welcome on board Virginia.

vicki_in_Utah on February 12, 2014 at 11:56 pm
    • Thanks Vicki!

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 4:40 pm
  8. Welcome Virginia! I am excited to get to know you and sharing my Blog Cabin 2014 interests and and demands! Lol! Thanks for sharing the news about Mari and Ken finally making it to their dream home, the Blog Cabin 2013. I know they must be on cloud nine to finally be able to discover and explore their new home and also get a little touch of Mother Nature's winter wonderland of snow! I have seen some beautiful pictures of the Outer Banks with the white stuff covering most of the sandy beaches.

Thanks Kayla for your brief but fun presence here on BC 2014 blog. I know you will leave us in good hands with Virginia! Good luck to you with everything you do! Again, welcome Virginia and I look forward to getting to know you! Jill from Florida. <3

jchristie24 on February 13, 2014 at 3:05 am
    • It was fun to meet you all! You can still catch me over at HGTV.com! http://blog.hgtv.com/design/

Kayla@HGTV on February 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm
    • We really loved that you actually checked in with us and were a part of the blog. I know I will miss you. I'm sure Virginia will do a wonderful job, but still, I appreciated all you did here.

Eugenia27 on February 13, 2014 at 7:04 pm
    • Thanks Jill… :)

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 4:34 pm
  9. Such a delight to know they are going to keep and enjoy the Blog Cabin! It's definitely a place for family dreams and memories to be made.

Connie on February 13, 2014 at 9:57 am

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 4:41 pm
  10. It's been such an adventure with Blog Cabin 2013 and Mari Cabrera-Hickerson and her family's win of the amazing North Carolina coastal home.

Now we begin another exciting and epic journey with Winter Haven, Florida's Blog Cabin 2014 thanks to early help from Kayla and the signing on of another superbly capable bloggers' friend, Virginia Moon. I'm looking forward to great things ahead — from the DIY Blog Cabin crew, our online guide Virginia and of course fellow bloggers and DIYers everywhere who make being here and sharing the ride so entertaining.

I have a feeling that 2014 is going to be a very good year!

DBCoop on February 13, 2014 at 10:03 am
    • I'm counting on 2014 being a very good year. 2013 nearly wiped me out! I was excited to see the dumpster alongside the cabin yesterday. It looks like they're getting down to business! Hopefully, one of the bloggers is unknowingly enjoying watching the work being done on their very own home!

TwoCorgis on February 13, 2014 at 10:41 am