Feb 4

People’s Choice Round Three: Vote for Kitchen Features

Blog Cabin 2014 People's Choice Vote

It’s time for round three of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving to the main level of the home. For the next two weeks, you’ll be selecting features for the kitchen. From the island top material and cabinet colors to the refrigerator and accent features, you’ll have a variety of ways to help design this year’s kitchen.

Keep in mind though, your flooring pick from round one will greatly affect the cabinet choice you pick in this round. In round one, you chose the tiger strand bamboo flooring, so choose the cabinetry color that will best coordinate with that design.

Have fun, and be sure to share your picks with the group.

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 10:53 am on February 2, 2014

1,067 Comments

1. Thank you Kayla for giving us the floor plans yesterday ! Also for reminding us of our choice for the floor. I am enjoying picking my choices for the kitchen. So far I am 3 & 3, but whatever are the winners, I would be happy to call this my home ! I agree that the color the walls are painted will enhance the cabinets and floor. Just go back to some of the previous Blog Cabins and enjoy the beautiful homes. I prefer a gas stove and the side by side refrigerator as I have those and enjoy using both. Will love whatever wins. We are in for more snow and ice tonight. Dreams of Florida look better all the time. Keep warm and my very best to all. Nan ;) <3 ;) <3

Nan on February 4, 2014 at 7:41 pm
    • Nan,

3 and 3 is pretty good. I am … 0 and 6. Seriously, but like you I'd be happy with whatever wins.

MAOW on February 4, 2014 at 9:23 pm
    • I guess you have to be, huh? hehe

Mom2Ceci on February 5, 2014 at 10:41 pm
  2. How exciting to see a design choice I just blogged about this morning up for a People's Choice vote this evening when I got home from work! That's what I call excellent customer service DIY—-LOL
    If there is a custom built shelf held up by corbels somewhere in this kitchen, I might just lose my mind ;)

Calling all ladies, how do you feel about mixing metals….when you accessorize with jewelry do you mix silver with gold? I'm a mixer, but I know many a purist. The appliances will most likely be stainless steel, perhaps the faucet and sink? Would the copper on the island bother you mixed with stainless steel finishes, or warm your heart?? I'm fine with a metal mix, cool tone against warm as long as they are not right together. Do others have an opinion? So is the question to mix metals and their tones, or keep them all the same?? If you don't like a metal mix you might want to vote butcher block?

Mel on February 4, 2014 at 8:10 pm
    • Mel, I'm a mixer. Most of my jewelry is silver & gold so I can go with one or the other with an accessory.
      Same goes for my kitchen. I have copper, stainless and my 40 + year old Desco Ware (reddish colored) pots/pans all hanging together on a wall. (Never over a stove!!!)
      Love it!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 4, 2014 at 10:13 pm
    • WCG, I'm a mixer too, but on a small scale. I know mixing cool stainless steel with warm copper might drive some folks nuts.
      For metal finishes some like to mix gold and brass with copper to keep everything warm—some like to mix stainless steel with chrome, bronze and silver to keep everything cool.
      This is probably a very personal preference, if a person likes contrasting tones of metal like stainless steel and copper mixed together. Different metal finishes on door knobs, hinges and things like that I barely notice. I was surprised when I came to the blog and no one had brought this up.

Mel on February 4, 2014 at 10:52 pm
    • Yes, me too. Although all my door levers are the same color throughout, my kitchen & baths all have their own personality. My kitchen is quite the mish-mash!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 5, 2014 at 11:15 pm
    • WCG we have three doors in our sunroom addition, two have bronze hinges and knobs, the third which was custom built with side lites has gold hinges and handle. I'm not going to say me and my husband didn't miss a design detail, by mixing our metal finishes, because that is exactly what happened….but it works, or at least it does for us!

Mel on February 6, 2014 at 5:30 am
    • The fridge product page states the french fridge comes in Smoky color only. How pretty against the copper island.

webwoman on February 5, 2014 at 7:09 pm
    • Webwoman sounds like you're a mixer too, and looking forward to seeing the contrast :p

Mel on February 6, 2014 at 5:31 am
    • I believe the name of the color is Slate. I also noticed that the ovens come in this color too so they will match! :D

jchristie24 on February 6, 2014 at 1:59 pm
    • Mel, mixing metals bothers me not one bit. IMO no different than mixing period details (such as Craftsman era woodwork with modern appliances) in a kitchen or bath.:D

SID on February 5, 2014 at 7:33 pm
    • SID when I saw the potential for mixed metal finishes in the kitchen, I thought it brave….
      I have to say if you are going to mix 'em there is no more appropriate home style than the Arts & Crafts one. You know like you, Ruffy and probably many others I wanna see beautiful woodwork detailing and custom art projects that are reminiscent of the Arts & Crafts period. This kitchen is gonna be 'de bomb <3

Mel on February 6, 2014 at 5:38 am
    • So right Mel, and I'm positively delighted over most of the voter decisions. Of course they're giving us a pretty incredible 'wish list' this season to select from! I've so lost my heart to this years cabin! <3xD

SID on February 6, 2014 at 1:33 pm
    • Mel, I also am a mixer! I do wear my gold and silver jewelry together and even have some that are made with both. No matter how the kitchen voting turns out I think DIY and Alison Victoria will accessorize with the right elements to make it a very warm and classy cabin kitchen! <3

jchristie24 on February 5, 2014 at 8:09 pm
    • I have a vision for this kitchen already that is hard for me to shake…of course there are probably limitless design options, but I have my own picked out–LOL
      Yes Jchristie, Alison will cook up a beautiful kitchen, and the layout tells us Dylan loves and cares about Cooks!
      This might be the best BC kitchen ever, I certainly see the potential

Mel on February 6, 2014 at 5:47 am
    • I think you are right Mel! I simply cannot wait to see the kitchen when it is done! My heart is being tugged in by this cabin and I so wish it were to be mine in the end! <3 < 3

jchristie24 on February 6, 2014 at 2:03 pm
    • I like mixing metals too, but not Stainless and copper. More like antique bronze and copper. The mix in the kitchen island slide before the one you posted is awesome if you imagine the copper on the island top.

grammagail on February 6, 2014 at 9:53 am
    • Mix away! The beauty of the mix is that they all work well with the warmth and texture of wood. It will give Alison Victoria plenty of ideas I'm sure! This kitchen is going to be a stunner!

stlmom1 on February 6, 2014 at 10:38 am
    • Hi Mel, I say mix it up.There are so many choices I think it can all work. Lately I have noticed the rubbed bronze. Wow, another direction. Just have to wait til we get more info down the road a bit. Besides I'm ready to win it and I know I'm gonna love it. Goodness I already do!!Who knows, maybe we'll get a copper sink! haha lol<3<3:D

Sheri McNamara on February 6, 2014 at 9:56 pm
  3. For the large number of folks grousing about a shortage of storage, how come there are so many votes for drawers in the bench seating? With a lift top, one gets all of the available cubic inches of space; drawers require giving up several cubic inches for the drawer box, the slides and the overall clearance inside the bench. If you want increased storage, vote for the lift top.

The pot rack might be a good idea for some, but in my house, "mama" does not want to see pots, pans or cooking utensils hanging out, getting dusty.

I don't see enough Cherry kitchens anymore. I see a lot of Maple; and just one of these wood species might become boring in too large a space. I'd like to see a two tone kitchen with these two species, done in a simple, Shaker style.

The island counter top? One word: Copper.

I have made the mistake of owning a side-by-side fridge; the french door style offers the opportunity to get a party tray inside for the hour or two before the party starts, not so in the SxS.

DGustaf on February 4, 2014 at 8:34 pm
  4. The cherry cabinets will look amazing in the kitchen just wondering what color or material the countertops will be. Hope if would be something light with a slight texture. Then we have the recycled bottle chandelier which is a work of art. Who wouldn't want this unique designer piece glowing over their copper top island. I would love it. Just think of the sunlight shining in the windows and on to that chandelier. Bringing the breakfast booth back brings the family together. The storage in the booth is a nice place to store items that aren't used often. I would go for the lifted lid that way a large roasting pan or other large pans can stored without taking up precious cabinet space from everyday items. It would still be nice to have a few stools at the island so that family and friend could have a front row seat and join in. The appliances are beautiful and stainless steel gives a nice clean line. I would choose the French door models for the refrigerator it saves on a lot of bending and the pull out door is a plus. I've always wanted a double oven. Seems like you always need two different temps when u are cooking a big meal or why heat up a large over when u are cooking for two.

Kat1551 on February 4, 2014 at 9:39 pm
  5. Hey all……Well onto a new week of voting! Woo-hoo! Loves the choices and I'm sure all would look great. However, I chose the light Maple cabinets because I thought (looking back to the floors) that the light wood would compliment the striping in the floor, but also keep the area light. The area for the kitchen is large, but I would still want to keep it as light as "beachy" as possible. I also think the richness of the copper (which I also voted for) would also just pop against the lighter cabinets. I have a copper sink in my bathroom and I love the look. I did choose the pot rack because I have had one before against a wall over the stove and loved it. However, I do have concerns it might block the views to outside since it will be over the island. I also choose the flip up benches instead of the drawers for the aspect of more storage. I currently have a SXS refrig and it is so hard to get items in there and just forget about a platter of any size. Also, the freezer side seems limited on what can fit in there (forget getting in a frozen pizza in the space). I've been itching for a French door refrig with a large freezer drawer on the bottom so this was a no brainer for me on the vote.LOL. Finally, I chose the double oven. I always have a problem with making different things for dinner that need different cooking temps. This would be great! Can't wait to see how the voting develops over the next 2 weeks! Everyone have fun!

paradise68 on February 4, 2014 at 10:17 pm
  6. Love the choices! I voted for what I thought would go beautifully with the flooring and each choice just fell together wonderfully! It looks like all y choices are all the top picks! I am so happy happy happy! It'll be gorgeous!

Terrific Tuesday All!^_^

amberPA on February 4, 2014 at 10:25 pm
  7. Just a little reminder for all the eager voters & bloggers out there.

Of the six categories in the vote for the kitchen area three – the GE appliances and the cabinets – will be exactly what we see in the option images.

The other three – island top material, Island accent feature & breakfast area storage option will not be the same, and may not even closely resemble what we're seeing in the images.

Just a thought when discussing the pros & cons of our choices. ;)

Clive on February 4, 2014 at 10:40 pm
    • Clive, how do you know all that for certain? History of BC?

Wind Chime Girl on February 5, 2014 at 11:19 pm
    • History. If they include the manufacturers website link (cookers, fridges, cabinets.) that's what you will get. It's also what the sponsors are offering. If there's no link it usually means that the actual item may not be exactly what is shown. The images are to help voters, some of whom may not fully understand the nature of the item they are voting on. That gives DIY flexibility with colors, shapes and size so they can more easily blend things properly. The pot rack may well not look exactly like the image. The chandelier image is taken from a “how to” project by Brian Flynn (DIY Décor Demon) from a while back, not Dylan’s 'secret' project. It may well look completely different, although we'll never know as the pot rack will win. :( The Island tops are stock shots from the 'Cabinets to go' website and another. The kitchen storage bench colors may not be as shown and they may not even be the same shape i.e. in a left corner. It's the same for the upstairs. The only thing that will be exactly as shown will be the closet. Some may be close and others completely different. It's the same every year. Voters choose styles or color palettes but DIY chooses the actual piece and color. :)

Sally on February 6, 2014 at 12:55 am
    • hum, thanks clive for the incite..the only wish i dont see is a gas grille ort stove top; however, that is probably fixable…

twoTERRIERs on February 6, 2014 at 1:00 am
  8. Nice choices!

I really like the direction of the voting so far as well.
    For example I love the copper counters and the cherry cabinets will look great with the flooring!

Only thing I'd change is the storage. I'm voting for the flip top storage. If it's anything like the pictures as far as placement it will be difficult to open some of the drawers. Have to move the chairs at least if not the table to get to them. The flip top allows for more storage space too.

MyLadyNight on February 4, 2014 at 10:53 pm
  9. Anyone interested in making the up-cycled wine bottle chandelier can check it out at :
    ;)

Clive on February 4, 2014 at 10:58 pm
    • Thanks. Great find. I wonder how many other choices are DIY "How to" projects from other years? :)

Sally on February 4, 2014 at 11:54 pm
    • That would suggest strongly that whatever Dylan's secret project was it wasn't this up-cycled bottle chandelier.

wilt on February 5, 2014 at 2:16 pm
    • I personally don't like the pot rack or wine bottle chandelier but I did vote on pot rack because I can take that down all by myself, the chandelier I can not. that thing belongs in a bar or over a pool table not in a kitchen. and the pot rack is something I'm going to have to clean all the time. I don't know who figures out what to vote on but I do hope the pot rack wins

Charlotte on February 5, 2014 at 5:20 pm
    • I guarantee that the up-cycled chandelier they would install will be nothing like the one in this 'how to do' DIY project from a few years back.

If they don't give specific details of an item (like the ovens & fridges) then the pictures are just for illustration and they never use exactly what's in the picture.

Speaking from experience pot racks are a complete waste of time. However, they look good in photos and, as you say, can easily be removed. :)

Clive on February 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm
    • Just remember that if you want to replace the chandelier with another light fixture, the ceiling will already be wired. Not so with the pot rack.

LAUDGIRL on February 5, 2014 at 9:22 pm
    • I like the lg. glass bell type over a island give a lot of light, hard to fine lately. Haven't done my kit. Yet or bath, don't know if after my two surgeries if the Dr. will let me. Don't know how long a recover for the 1st. Surgery. I think if they use all clear wine bottle which come in wide sizes to would be interesting and give more light. It's earlier to soak the bottles in hot water then use goo be gone or a Solent to remove the sticky stuff. I use LED lights. Mine were just for Christmas mood. I have not been able to do more.

Denise_D._ on February 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm
  10. I voted one time and came here to sort it all out. Since I have no use for electric stoves, I needed to see what the recommendations are.
    My votes are for:
    1 – The copper counter top, don't want to see much bare wood in a humid environment. Copper can be kept clean and is a natural anti-bacterium (hence copper water pipes).
    2 – Pot Rack, I have so many pots & pans & etc., they don't all fit in the cabinets. I hang a mix of the lesser used ones on my wall pot rack. Beautiful.
    3 – Cherry cabinets. This is a home that requires the darker wood accents. It might help make up for the, 'ahem', floor selection as well. Although I would prefer red oak . . . oh well.
    4 – Flip-top seat storage allows for more storage. That's the point, right? Mine would be so stuffed full of stuff, no one of any size & means could squeeze their way into a square inch of it. The flip-top would be resting on their tops!
    5 – The French door style refrigerator with the lower freezer is a no-brainer for me, I've had both and I love mine to bits. There is so much more room in both sections than a side-by-side offers.
    6 – The electric range, this is what I needed help on. I don't know the + or – about a convection oven. I do know that 2 ovens make for smaller roasting/baking areas. Since a gas stove isn't an option. I'll go with the convection style since I've heard rave reviews about them in the past.
    Thanks for all y'alls thoughts on this, I think I'll stay with my original vote.
    WCG

I'm kind of surprised there's no tile, countertop, sink or faucet option this year. Really surprised. Maybe DIY gave up on us a little bit?

Wind Chime Girl on February 4, 2014 at 10:59 pm
    • And I want to point out that a 'free standing' stove/range usually means that it will be in the island.
      The controls will be on the front of the stovetop. And you won't want all that bacon grease, etc., splattering onto a butcher block counter, You'll want to be able to clean it up off of the copper counter. IMHO
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 4, 2014 at 11:41 pm
    • Does not mean it will be in the island. If you watch kit. Crashes a lot of the time it is on a wall. Free standing is removable. I don't think they would have the kind sticking up with the back showing. Also use a screen cover when your frying fatty foods it reduces 95% of the spraying.

Denise_D._ on February 5, 2014 at 8:39 am
    • …and never fry bacon naked.

AndreaMP on February 5, 2014 at 10:45 am
    • Hear, hear!!!

grammagail on February 5, 2014 at 10:59 am
    • no need to fry it at all now days , still tastes the same in microwave and NO mess

Charlotte on February 5, 2014 at 5:01 pm
    • I'm not a fan of microwave cooking for so many reasons. I do love to cook bacon in the oven, however: 350 degrees for 25 minutes on a broiler pan. It's hands-free, stove top-free, and it comes out perfectly crisp. A former co-worker (RIP) told me his dad was a chef in the Army and swore by cooking it that way.. I am grateful he shared the tip with me. Cheers! :D

Mom2Ceci on February 5, 2014 at 10:58 pm
    • I even have a special stone pan that I use only for oven bacon. This is the perfect way to cook bacon and leaves the stove top free to cook the rest of your meal! And no burns or mess!

stlmom1 on February 6, 2014 at 12:18 am
    • OH? Do tell where one would get that amazing stone pan. And where does the bacon grease go?

Mom2Ceci on February 6, 2014 at 9:59 am
    • I got it from Pampered Chef (looks like a jelly roll pan). 375 degrees for about 30 min. Sometimes I can't even get it out of the pan before my kids (and husband) are eating it! Grease stays in the pan. Cleans with hot water and nylon scraper. I have had it for about 10 years so I don't know if it is still in stock. My rep moved so I haven't purchased anything in years.

stlmom1 on February 7, 2014 at 2:24 pm
    • stlmom1, Thanks and if I don't have any luck finding one w pampered chef, I'll ck ebay. And when you cook the bacon in this stone pan, is it sitting on a rack in the pan to get out of the grease? Sorry to comment so much about bacon. haha

Mom2Ceci on February 7, 2014 at 2:35 pm
    • No problem! I didn't believe it when she told us about this pan and even made her promise to take it back WHEN it didn't work! Anyway, the bacon sits right on the pan and it takes a little time to season….somewhat like a cast iron skillet. And if I can keep the fingers out of the kitchen, I will lay the bacon on a paper towel after cooking, just to get any leftover grease off of it. If your family is like mine, anything that bacon touches is instantly turned to gold!

stlmom1 on February 7, 2014 at 3:21 pm
    • Denise, thank you so much for your advise about using a splatter screen for frying bacon. It never occurred to me. . .

Wind Chime Girl on February 5, 2014 at 11:26 pm
    • Free standing means they're not built into the wall or an alcove, not that they go into an island. ^_^ These are designed to go against a wall in a gap between cabinets, hence 'free standing'.

Clive on February 5, 2014 at 5:41 pm
    • I said 'usually'. I have a free standing stove in my island. In fact, I've never personally known a non-free standing stove!

Wind Chime Girl on February 5, 2014 at 11:24 pm
    • Your island stove may be what is described as a 'slide in' rather than 'free standing'. If it has controls at the front rather than the raised panel at the back, no side panels, fits exactly into the space between cabinets (no gap) and is exactly the same height as the island top it's probably what is called a 'slide in' style. It's also technically 'free standing' but different and not a 'built in' which is different again. I only know about these options as we had all these choices when we built our house and it drove us nuts. o.0:D

Clive on February 6, 2014 at 1:10 am
    • Clive, you are 100% correct. Mine is a slide-in for the island. We had the same headaches in '09 finishing our house. No raised back, controls on the front, etc.
      I get on here at night dog tired and . . . well, you know.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 6, 2014 at 11:35 pm
    • Number 4 – I agree! I can see all those big items I only use once or twice a year going in there and there is much more storage area in the flip tops!

grammagail on February 5, 2014 at 11:01 am
    • Your so right…I voted for the drawers thinking easier to get to but not much space in them . I will be changing my votes as of tomorrow

Charlotte on February 5, 2014 at 5:03 pm
    • Charlotte, I cannot imagine getting down on the floor and pulling those drawers out. It makes my back hurt just thinking about it. And so much less space for storage with a drawer. That was my thinking on that vote.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 5, 2014 at 11:29 pm
    • #6 – According to husband who has had a convection oven, he liked it.

Am I correct in thinking a convection oven would take LESS time to cook than conventional? If so, this might be a good thing in a warm climate. Those of you with a convection oven, share your knowledge. Thanks.

Trish on February 5, 2014 at 3:22 pm
    • Correct. Less electricity; quicker cooking times; very even cooking all through the oven; food retains more moisture. They're greener, cleaner and quicker than conventional ovens. :)

Sally on February 5, 2014 at 10:08 pm
    • I can't understand why this is the least popular vote. I've heard great things about convection. Hmm.

Wind Chime Girl on February 5, 2014 at 11:32 pm
    • Probably because people see "two" ovens and think they're getting more? I'm voting for convection although it would be nice to simultaneously cook in two ovens- but how often is that necessary? I'm curious.. :S

Mom2Ceci on February 6, 2014 at 10:06 am
    • I'm still voting for the convection, for what it's worth. I tend to listen to those that know about such things. : )

Wind Chime Girl on February 6, 2014 at 11:40 pm
    • Well, that vote is losing badly!

Wind Chime Girl on February 5, 2014 at 11:30 pm
    • The one thing I didn't want with the copper top and cherry is how dark they will look together…if want copper it would look better with the lighter wood of maple. And the pot rack looks dirty unless your pots are brand new and never get used. Also agree about the convection because it is also easier to clean! :)

Kelly on February 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm