Feb 4

People’s Choice Round Three: Vote for Kitchen Features

Blog Cabin 2014 People's Choice Vote

It’s time for round three of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving to the main level of the home. For the next two weeks, you’ll be selecting features for the kitchen. From the island top material and cabinet colors to the refrigerator and accent features, you’ll have a variety of ways to help design this year’s kitchen.

Keep in mind though, your flooring pick from round one will greatly affect the cabinet choice you pick in this round. In round one, you chose the tiger strand bamboo flooring, so choose the cabinetry color that will best coordinate with that design.

Have fun, and be sure to share your picks with the group.

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 10:53 am on February 2, 2014

1,067 Comments

1. Kitchen fun this morning! Love the choice except the stoves both of which have us reaching over steaming pots to the controls. Also, the high humidity in Florida would make me think copper rather than butcher block. the wooden surface would be subject to mold in the seams unless it was urethaned heavily. The copper seems to fit the time period of the house better.

grammagail on February 4, 2014 at 1:08 pm
    • More well made points, Gail!

SID on February 4, 2014 at 3:10 pm
    • Yes Ma'am !! Here in Good Old Fla. mold is a big problem !! We call it mildew !!

gremol on February 5, 2014 at 4:25 am
    • Mold is the worst. Now let me ask, even with A/C running nearly 365 days a year, plus regular cleaning, mold would still find it's way onto the butcher's block?

Mom2Ceci on February 5, 2014 at 11:02 pm
    • butcher block counter tops show stains too quickly, and if you use the butcher block for food cutting, they are hard to clean.

AlainaMacGaren on February 12, 2014 at 5:37 pm
    • Not true. Simply wash down with 2% white vinegar once a day and there will be no mold or stains. This is a kitchen island countertop not a cutting board and the rest of the kitchen will probably be granite or quartz top. This is simply an accent piece. :)

AnniesOwn on February 12, 2014 at 6:08 pm
  2. I have experience with both od thes exact GE stoves. Wife got the first one (double) thinking I would like it, I didn't say anything untill thanksgiving when I had to cut the turkey in half to cook it. Well black friday I had my convection oven. If you've baked using convection, you will never go back to advection cooking even for one loaf of bread. My daughter loves the one I gave her, just her and hubby.

540sam on February 4, 2014 at 1:14 pm
    • 540sam,

Thanks for sharing. I was originally leaning to the double oven but based on the comments from yourself and others I have changed my opinion.

MAOW on February 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm
    • that was the same story here

Jay Michajluk on February 4, 2014 at 8:15 pm
    • Sam I'm in this line too. My mother insisted when I bought my home to pick a convection oven. Boy it's true mothers do know best.
      I would never cook with another type of oven. A convection fan holds the temperature you set it at, unlike an oven with heating elements which hits the temp you set it at, and from then on cuts on and off trying to maintain a constant temp, but just can't.
      A consistent and constantly maintained temp produces the best and evenly baked foods you will ever eat, and because the temperature stays consistent your food cooks in a lot less time. I never have to turn a pan of cookies or a cake because one side is cooking faster than the other. Looks like if I win the BC I will be bringing my oven.

Mel on February 4, 2014 at 8:28 pm
    • I don't have one but when I looked at the two it was a no brainer that the convection was larger and I've heard they are wonderful for baking.

renovation_nut on February 6, 2014 at 8:30 pm
    • I love my convection oven too!

Chips&Salsa53 on February 7, 2014 at 6:49 pm
    • We have a double convection oven, both top and bottom are 3.5 cf. (total of 7 cf). My wife told me that we can get a 20 lb. turkey in either oven. Based on that, the 4.4 cf lower oven thould be able to handle most people's needs.

RLDorf on February 9, 2014 at 8:21 pm
    • Our usual holiday birds are 23-25 lbs, none would fit in this particular model oven, much less a wild turkey in the 18-20 lb range, which have a much taller breast bone. Even with one oven vs two the much more efficient convection oven cuts cooking time so much that your meals are done faster. At this point, from the voting, it seems to make little difference what I think.

540sam on February 10, 2014 at 4:26 am
    • That's a big bird. I can't imagine any double oven that could handle that. As for the voting, I've noticed that the percentage spread of the votes rarely change much after the first day…people don't seem to change their votes once they've made their initial choices. Also, the vote totals compared to the number of blog comments show that very few voters participate in the blog. So…no matter how effective an argument you may make, less than 1% of the voters are likely to read it.

RLDorf on February 10, 2014 at 10:12 am
    • RLDorf the double oven we are voting on isn't convection. Which is too bad.

vicki_in_Utah on February 10, 2014 at 9:52 am
    • I noticed that…I can't imagine why they didn't include convection in both choices.

RLDorf on February 10, 2014 at 10:14 am
    • Me either RLDorf.

vicki_in_Utah on February 10, 2014 at 10:48 am
  3. LOVIN' on the one-of-a-kind kitchen chandelier. …dramatic looking AND adding more light onto a work surface seems a no-brainer to me. Hung high enough — as a light fixture would be — it would not be in the way, either. Hanging pots, however, only get in the way and they have to be kept looking pretty, so they can't be used regularly. …a waist, to my way of thinking.
    About the cabinets: the vote is for the stain color, NOT for the wood species. We're not being told the wood species. From what I can discern by the pictures, however, looking at grain and finish, the species will be maple. The choices (by my impression), then, are: a.) natural maple on maple wood or b.) natural-cherry stain color on maple wood. I will always choose a natural cherry look (it is a medium tone, it's NOT dark. …lovely.

Aunt Sal on February 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm
    • Aunt Sal,

When voting there is a link for the Cherry cabinets which provides additional details from the manufacturer. See below. Hope this helps.

Findley & Myers Montauk Cherry

Refreshingly natural. American Cherry is a beautiful hardwood usually reserved for fine furniture. Findley & Myers has designed these American Cherry hardwood shaker-style cabinets that will give your new kitchen a graceful and distinguished look.

•Real, solid American Cherry hardwood doors, frames, drawer fronts
      •No particle board
      •No melamine
      •Soft Closing Drawers
      •Shaker-style doors
      •UV scratch resistant coating
      •Finished interiors
      •European door hinges and hardware

MAOW on February 4, 2014 at 1:33 pm
    • Thanks MAOW. I did not know there was a link that described the choice in detail. I will look for it. If the choice is between cheery wood species (natural cherry color) and maple wood species (natural maple color), all the better reason to choose the "cherry" (for me, anyway). Anyway, I appreciate the info.

AuntSal13 on February 4, 2014 at 2:46 pm
    • Cherry is the creme de la creme! Gotta have it!

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 2:53 pm
    • Look at bothy hen desiderata, most co. Have a lot of the same type

Denise on February 4, 2014 at 6:24 pm
    • Look at both, decide for your self. Most have a lot of same things. I should stop using this ipad. Tired of rewriting and triple checking.

Denise_D._ on February 5, 2014 at 8:50 am
    • But if the copper top gets picked it will look too dark with the cherry. I liked the cherry first myself, but either the top vote has to change for the butcher block for it to look right or it should be the maple.

jnkvan on February 7, 2014 at 1:37 pm
  4. Thanks for the third round of things to vote on.

dreamn_again on February 4, 2014 at 1:39 pm
  5. Got my votes in! xD
    Though I love the look of the Copper top Island, those things are a pain to maintain. You cant buff a scratch out of it like you can the butcher block top. Though I do thing the Copper Top looks nicer. For upkeep reasons I picket the Butcher Block Top.

Agree/Disagree???

asandmancan on February 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm
    • asandmancan, I agree! The copper top would pair best with the cherry cabinetry but with all those groves and possibility of the finish discoloring, I couldn't go with it. I had to choose the butcher block, it's more timeless and yes, you can buff out a stain and scratches..and treat with an oil.. saw that on The Rehab Addict. :D

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 2:52 pm
    • I LOVE the LOOK of copper. My concern is the metal. The dimples don't help either. Seriously….someone used DIMPLED floor tiles on our counter (desperately needing to be replaced). Very difficult to clean. Can't imagine how this would work with copper.

Maybe the look of copper could be around the edge of the beautiful chandelier. I mean…no muss or fuss up there. And….we DO like the look of copper.

Trish on February 4, 2014 at 3:18 pm
    • I think a wall piece would be better, I and may daughter have made things in copper, craft, and I have a piece in 1 room. Doesn't seem to change color as much when away from cooking and water areas.

Denise_.D._ on February 4, 2014 at 6:32 pm
    • How does one clean copper? Is it safe for food? With all the pits and grooves, would it be difficult to keep sanitary? Copper can give off a metal taste. I like it better than butcherblock, but how is it for long term?

webwoman on February 4, 2014 at 5:37 pm
    • Some tablets seen done on DIY kit impossible Mark B. shows he brushed on a finish. Don't know how long that lasts. But you could wash with mild soap. Some have put glass over it.

Denise_D._ on February 4, 2014 at 6:36 pm
    • Tales, ipad change.

Denise_D_ on February 5, 2014 at 8:44 am
    • Tables, I'll get it yet.

Denise_D._ on February 5, 2014 at 8:45 am
    • I need keys on a keyboard. Call me "old school." :)

Mom2Ceci on February 5, 2014 at 10:52 pm
    • t have a keyboard from logitech that also acts as a magnetic cover so it shuts down the ipad to sleep it is bluetooth with long battery life and works very well! They are available all over and I wouldn't be without it!

minitoni on February 6, 2014 at 1:19 am
    • Copper gets wiped just like formica, corian or granite. It inhibits the growth of bacteria and doesn't need to have pits or grooves at all; we don't know what type of finish they have planned if copper wins the poll. I have never put unwrapped or unpeeled food directly on any counter surface – why would a metallic taste be imparted?

Ralebird on February 5, 2014 at 12:02 am
    • I would hope the copper would be well sealed and we could keep it that way. So that would be nice IF it were sealed and kept clean. I think the dimpled/hammered surface finish would work well, or a circular brushed finish that would leave most marks undistinguishable. from the surface. I think it would be pretty but if the dark cabinets win the butcher block would look better and the light cabinets would look better with the copper IMO. I have granite and always use cutting boards or pastry boards so I have nothing directly on the surface of the counter that is food so that doesn't bother me. And as above upkeep can be simple. But it is simple for the butcher block too. Decisions. wow. too hard

minitoni on February 6, 2014 at 1:23 am
    • I always use coasters under any cup or glass but there is always that guest that doesn't. I love the look of the copper but I'm not sure how practical it is.

Eugenia27 on February 6, 2014 at 4:36 pm
    • So does stainless

Denise on February 6, 2014 at 10:45 am
    • I think the copper top and cherry will look too dark together….if the copper is going to be the choice, I hope the maple gets chosen myself.

jnkvan on February 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm
    • Have to agree….after my wife informed me that, though the copper looks cool, the butcher block is much more practical. So….of course my votes have changed to the butcher block.

RLDorf on February 5, 2014 at 9:59 am
    • I've had a hammered copper wet bar sink for about 6 years now. I came with a dark aged looking finish and requires no maintenance except soap and water clean up. Very easy and still looks as fresh as the day we bought it. I'm most definitely voting for the copper top island! Hope this helps.

SID on February 6, 2014 at 1:27 pm
    • Yeah, but everyone is voting for the darker cabinets….the two together will look too dark!

jnkvan on February 7, 2014 at 1:30 pm
    • Not necessarily,jnkvan. We don't know what the actual counter tops for the cherry cabinets will be as well as the backsplash. We do know that the paint scheme for the cabin is very light and neutral, so I am sure this kitchen will be plenty bright with just the right contrast! But keep voting, you might get your maple cabinets yet!

stlmom1 on February 7, 2014 at 1:53 pm
    • The KITCHEN will has plenty of windows to let lots of natural light in which will brighten things up as well.

MAOW on February 7, 2014 at 1:56 pm
    • But at night??? ;)

AnniesOwn on February 7, 2014 at 2:00 pm
    • I usually spend the night in the FAMILY/LIVING/MEDIA room but if you spend your nights in the KITCHEN … Candles are always ROMANTIC. <3

MAOW on February 7, 2014 at 2:17 pm
    • I often cook after dark as we tend to eat about 7.00pm. Up here it's pitch dark by 4.30pm in the winter. Candle light isn't so good to cook dinner by unless your camping. ;)

AnniesOwn on February 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm
    • With all the light Day/Night the kitchen will have enough light so that even if they do dark cabinets and counter tops I think it will still have a nice contrast to the kitchen as a hole! B)
      Plus I have seen some kitchens with the darker look that was Amazing!!! xD

Frank Sandlin on February 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm
    • We don't know what type of finish the copper would have. It could the hammered and stained dark look like sinks people have mentioned or it could be bright polished copper like a new penny which is much lighter. It could even be patinized and have a greenish look but will no doubt be sealed or lacquered to stabilize whatever finish is on it.

Ralebird on February 7, 2014 at 4:40 pm
    • what about durability with the copper? I have kids scratches?

Danielle on February 12, 2014 at 4:06 pm
    • Agree!

HonestC on February 8, 2014 at 2:35 pm
    • To any one that may care. I am not using the header "anandmancan" any more.
      I am just using my name!!!! B)
      Frank Sandlin

Frank Sandlin = asandmancan

Frank Sandlin on February 8, 2014 at 3:26 pm
    • Thanks.

AnniesOwn on February 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm
    • totally…

s. hugdahl on February 8, 2014 at 8:18 pm
  6. More great choices! I prefer the light Maple finish over the kind of drab looking Cherry finish. I love a rich dark cherry, but this choice doesn't do it for me. Plus with the darkness of the tiger stripe flooring, it would be too much. I am not really in favor of either the pot hanger or the wine-glass light fixture – both seem to be dust and grease catchers but in the interest of making use of the space, I went for the pot holder. I have a lot of pots and they take up a lot of cupboard space. I like the flip up tops of the seats rather than the draw because you get to use all of the space and aren't limited to the drawer capacity. The copper top for the island sounds beautiful even if it is not as practical as the butcher block, either one would work for me. I've never had a double oven, but I know that would be better for me even if I did have to cut a turkey in half in order to get a monster bird in there I would at least still be able to cook other things at the same time at different temps.

Windsmurf on February 4, 2014 at 2:17 pm
  7. I went with the butcher block counter, cherry cabinets, French door fridge, and upcycled chandelier. My sister has a hammered copper apron sink and it shows a lot of discoloring now- her kitchen is only 2 years old. So for that reason, I would not choose the copper for counter tops. I know copper is more expensive and I love the look of it on an accent roof or other areas outside a hoome, but I'm not sold on it for countertops in a kitchen. And too, the butcher block just says "germs" to me, although it "looks" pretty. I think for longevity, the butcher block tops will serve better. The cherry cabinets never go out of style, so I had to pick those. My parents have had clean line cherry cabinets in their lake home, since 1959 and they are as nice today as they were new. And although I think convection ovens are the latest and fabulous, who can resist a double oven- especially at family meal gatherings? I've done the side by side fridge and would like to try the French doors now. Fun choices!!

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 2:48 pm
    • Andrea I think what you are talking about with the copper is patina, natural aging. One thing to stop that is a mixture of dish detergent and water. Using a soft cloth just wipe it down then wipe dry with clean cloth( like tee shirting). Good as new. Another good point is copper is antimicrobial! That never hurts either. So if you just don't like copper that's one thing but if you aren't sure reading about it is interesting. Looks quite popular.Good evening to you.:) I do love that house.:D

Sheri McNamara on February 4, 2014 at 6:35 pm
    • I like the look of the copper with the cherry much better but I just don't know about copper countertops so I chose the wood. :/

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 11:36 pm
    • I voted for the butcher block, too, with the cherry cabinets. Now, looking at the two together I'm thinking the copper may be a better match. I think of copper as a bar finish and was worried about the patina with the humidity in FL. I have the same misgivings about the butcher block as you, though. Even though it looks nice it's so porous. Will probably change to the copper tomorrow.

elfie on February 4, 2014 at 9:40 pm
  8. On the benches, I went with the drawers simply because of safety issues with the closing tops on the other option. All I could think of with the option of the opening/closing tops was a small child or pet getting trapped inside and unable to get out. Now I'm feeling claustrophobic. Oy!:S Of course, one doesn't know "who" will win the home but one can never go wrong with safety. Safety first, vote drawers, please.

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 2:56 pm
    • How on earth can a child or pet get 'trapped' inside a flip top bench? They have no locks or clasps and the tops are not heavy. They have pneumatic guides too so they can't slam shut. They close very gently. You could hear the slightest sound if anything were inside.

Durfee on February 4, 2014 at 4:02 pm
    • In Fla . alot of children disappear.

cucumberHOH on February 4, 2014 at 4:28 pm
    • I'm very sorry if that is true but I'm certain it's not flip top benches that are the cause.

In humid climates chests and boxes used for storing linens and such usually have holes drilled in them also allow air to circulate to pervent mold and smells developing.

Durfee on February 4, 2014 at 4:48 pm
    • yeah, yeah, mock me about small kids getting trapped in flip top benches. Look it up. Suffocation is the primary reason why you don't see toy benches with lids that close tight anymore. Perhaps you don't have small kids or small grand kids or never have these little people in your home to be concerned about it.. that's understandable. Don't shoot the messenger.

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 5:00 pm
    • These lids close by gravity, there are no locks or catches. There are holes for ventilation to prevent mold. It's not possible to 'suffocate' children in these sort of bench seats whether they're in the kitchen, master suite, relaxation room or on the back deck full of yard toys.

I'm not mocking. I'm simply illustrating that you're statement holds no substantive supporting evidence.

BTW I have kids & grandkids. Several of each.

Durfee on February 4, 2014 at 5:21 pm
    • "Have fun, and be sure to share your picks with the group. "

AndreaMP on February 5, 2014 at 12:19 am
    • Andrea, This is a forum where everyone is encouraged to express their own opinions, and I've noticed that often you have good ideas. Different viewpoints are helpful, because someone else may think of something that we didn't even consider. You might not have meant to, but your comments are sometimes coming across as sarcastic. This blog is more fun when we treat each other like we treat our best friends. Please try not to hurt peoples feelings, that is why you are getting those thumbs down.

SID on February 6, 2014 at 1:47 pm
    • Nice job SID. Very well said.

stlmom1 on February 9, 2014 at 3:53 pm
    • These seats are built in such a way that there are pads that the lid closes on leaving a slit along all the open sides. The design in meant for a quiet closing but the add benefit is that little space between the box body and the lid. Once open the lid is designed to stay in the angle you put it. Yes a 3 year old would be able to open it climb in but would find it hard to close the lid on top of him. He would have to hold the edge to pull it down and then it would stop when his hand rested on the box itself. Leaving a nice gap to look out at the world until he just stans up and pushes the lid open agin. With 4 grand children I have seen this played out over and over again.. The only problem I have found is that I had to put all the toys back in the box.

Jay Michajluk on February 4, 2014 at 8:58 pm
    • That was a nice and thoughtful response to the safety concern- and with a visual. :)

Mom2Ceci on February 5, 2014 at 10:31 pm
    • I'm sure they will install the hinges that are child safe and lock open so the top can't fall unless unlocked for safety. They don't want to hurt kids. They are very conscious of details. I'm sure they will be okay. I'm voting fo the lift up tops because the drawers will give much less storage and will be problematic with things falling behind them and difficult to access with the table there. But I respect your opinions and I understand your concerns. I think they will make them safe for kids so the tops don't fall closed.

minitoni on February 6, 2014 at 1:32 am
    • Well written!

Mom2Ceci on February 6, 2014 at 9:49 am
    • Thanks!Sent from my iPad

minitoni on February 6, 2014 at 7:49 pm
    • I'm going to keep bumping up everyone with a zero comment score. That makes me just sad. <3

minitoni on February 6, 2014 at 2:09 pm
    • When I think of blogging, I think of sharing thoughts, ideas, opinions on the subjects at hand. What sometimes happens with 1-dimensional written words is that intended meanings often get lost in translation. I'm more OK with thumbs up or down rather than a negative written response to another blogger's opinion(s) that one or more bloggers may not agree with. This should not be a place for personal attacks or judgments on another. My two cents.
      minitoni… I noticed too when one logs in using the posting software, each post automatically gets one thumbs up. When people log in as a guest, they don't get the auto thumbs up for each comment they make.

Mom2Ceci on February 6, 2014 at 4:49 pm
    • Well said. The other two blogs require you to be logged into id. And yes, I'd rather get a lesser rating than a personal attack. But posting that people should reply nicely to others if they disagree is what got me banned in the first place :-) There must be a lot of guest commenters on the blog Cabin blog right now because there are a lot of zeros and negative numbers. I'm going to keep changing what I can just 'cause. But you're right, there should never be personal attacks or judgements or shouting. There should be honest, kind discourse. Thanks for the reminder. And I didn't notice that about the blogger guest posters.Sent from my iPad

minitoni on February 6, 2014 at 7:56 pm
    • Hi Minitoni,
      I agree with you about attacks and negative thoughts. There are no wrong votes here, just personal likes.. I try to promote what I like and not pull down someone who likes something else. :-)

Jay Michajluk on February 8, 2014 at 8:55 pm
    • Again Well Said Jay. Thanks for reiterating the point here. Sent from my iPad

minitoni on February 9, 2014 at 2:20 pm
    • Was wondering what that was…..kept thinking I was hitting the wrong button or something. Thanks for answering my unasked question!

stlmom1 on February 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm
  9. Well, guys, hop in the DeLorean and lets take a spin over to Marty McFly's new lake house! Yep, we're going back to 1971 when I had a butcher block kitchen table and also had a bottle cutting kit to make groovy things like wine bottle pendant lights.

With those choices I'm sure the windows will be trimmed with "upcycled" bell bottoms and paisley! What were we thinking? What is the design team thinking?

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 2:56 pm
    • Looks like the butcher block top isn't winning anyway….copper has a strong lead. It is rare that the votes reverse….though it has happened.

RLDorf on February 4, 2014 at 3:03 pm
    • Ralebird,

Thanks for the ride in the DeLorean.

I was always told to keep what you have and every 20 years or so it would come back into fashion.

What was popular in the early 70's became popular again in the early 90's. What was popular in the early 90's is now popular again today. So for those who pick BUTCHER BLOCK you will be in style come the 2030's as well.

MAOW on February 4, 2014 at 3:16 pm
    • This house was built in the 1920's.

webwoman on February 5, 2014 at 2:59 am
    • Webwoman,

Maybe Ralegird can take the DeLoren for a spin back to the 1920's and give us all an update. The ride back to 1971 was fun so I am sure that the ride back to the 1920's will be great as well.

MAOW on February 5, 2014 at 11:14 am
  10. I could see cuts of copper being made as inlays on the sides of the kitchen island & the chandelier.

Trish on February 4, 2014 at 3:20 pm