Feb 4

People’s Choice Round Three: Vote for Kitchen Features

Blog Cabin 2014 People's Choice Vote

It’s time for round three of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving to the main level of the home. For the next two weeks, you’ll be selecting features for the kitchen. From the island top material and cabinet colors to the refrigerator and accent features, you’ll have a variety of ways to help design this year’s kitchen.

Keep in mind though, your flooring pick from round one will greatly affect the cabinet choice you pick in this round. In round one, you chose the tiger strand bamboo flooring, so choose the cabinetry color that will best coordinate with that design.

Have fun, and be sure to share your picks with the group.

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 10:53 am on February 2, 2014

1,067 Comments

1. Well i've changed my mind a few times. As i really wanted white cabnets lol i went with maple for awhile and gave into cherry hoping they are very clean so no dust gets in the fancy cuts. I use mostly convection but went with double ovens as i have 2 tablerop confection ovens here in fla. Saves heating up when baking and making air overwork. The rest dosn't really mater because all is nice. I can see us there enjoying everything and hoping lt is a 3 bedroom as my momlives with us and will enjoy her own space. She has never lived in a new house but this will be better.

edee on February 16, 2014 at 12:00 pm
  2. Voting for the best kitchen is base on what the people like at the kitchen.

Grout Cleaning on February 17, 2014 at 7:10 am
  3. Just checked the cabin cam again. It looks like the crew is reinforcing the floor beams prior to lowering the home onto the blocks.

Jay Michajluk on February 17, 2014 at 12:21 pm
    • They did the same last year.

AnniesOwn on February 17, 2014 at 1:40 pm
    • Pouring concrete too….not sure where. They may be filling the blocks where the rebar/anchoring bolts come up? They did that on my brother's foundation in South Carolina.

RLDorf on February 17, 2014 at 1:50 pm
    • After the concrete is filled into the blocks and cured they may add a 2×8 wood plate to the top of the wall. This will add strength to the wall top and act as a cushion when lowering the house. Even when the wall is dry it would not take much to kick out a block or crush one.

Jay Michajluk on February 17, 2014 at 8:32 pm
  4. I lived in Winter Haven , Fl from1993 to 1998 and I loved it. I have many friends there and would love to retire there which has always been my plan. If I win the DIY cabin it would fit into the plan just great! I am a antique collector and I love the older homes. I hope they are going to keep as much of the original construction as possible.

I am confused though on how I am to enter to win.

Marcia Bock on February 17, 2014 at 3:24 pm
    • You can vote for the "People's Choice" items now (see tab above). Sweepstakes entry starts July 28th.

LAUDGIRL on February 17, 2014 at 4:10 pm
  5. I'm going for the butcher block counter and I like the cherry cabinets along with the upcycled chandelier. I really wouldn't choose the copper for counter tops because of the discoloration factor.

Sean Jackson on February 17, 2014 at 5:50 pm
    • Well Sean, I must apologize to you. I blogged you just a little bit. However I must have been bad???cause they are auditing it. Not sure what I said but last time it took about 24 hours until it was approved:x It was a nice little blog. Your name is in it so when it appears, watch for it. That was a bummer! Anyway when you see it I explained a few things that I think you would be interested in.The most important thing to remember, I am gonna win this one.xDxD<3<3 Its got my heart!! Have a great evening, we'll blog again sometime.<3^_^

Sheri McNamara on February 17, 2014 at 8:12 pm
    • Hi Sheri,
      I had entered just a one liner last night and the system would not post it until it was reviewed. There was nothing off color in it either. Oh by the way more snow to come tonight after a beautiful but cold day.:)

Jay Michajluk on February 17, 2014 at 8:39 pm
    • My goodness Jay, you still have a positive tone even after all that snow. It looks beautiful in pictures but you have to be ready for non-snow days. I am guessing snow is normal for you through March/April. I am sending you warm wishes . Best of wishes to you and your family.:D<3

Sheri McNamara on February 18, 2014 at 7:40 am
  6. Anyone else have problems with the camera today? I could only use the panorama.

Lana on February 17, 2014 at 8:16 pm
    • I was able to use it this morning around 9 am with no problem. Could not say if it worked in the afternoon.

Jay Michajluk on February 17, 2014 at 8:40 pm
    • From about mid-day it went offline. Its shut down now until tomorrow daybreak.

Sally on February 17, 2014 at 8:54 pm
  7. I live in NM and weather is usually great, been in 70-80's this past weekend, but Florida sure would be and amaing change and I have an uncle in Lakeland it would be awesome to move closer. Especially winning a brand new beautiful home. I know it will be great with the voiting so far. Cant wait for the next round of voting and to see the end product, can't wait. Ya'll have a great evening!!

lorie_N_NM on February 17, 2014 at 10:44 pm
  8. Well this was the first morning that I had a chance to view web cam at dawn. However all I get is the panoramic view. Ugh, Does anyone have live cam this morning? It is 7a.m. eastern time here.:$

Sheri McNamara on February 18, 2014 at 8:07 am
    • I have only had panoramic view since yesterday around noon.

Lana on February 18, 2014 at 8:09 am
    • Thank you Lana. I was beginning to believe it was me.;) I guess I'll just wait a while. Thanks again Lana, I appreciate your response.:)

Sheri McNamara on February 18, 2014 at 8:26 am
    • Has anyone else reported the camera isn't working via the 'report an issue with this camera' button? (the yellow exclamation at the top right of the screen) I'm still waiting for a reply.

AnniesOwn on February 18, 2014 at 10:37 am
    • Yes I did AnniesOwn, I cannot believe it's been down this long. I am waiting for a reply too.:S

Sheri McNamara on February 18, 2014 at 10:55 am
    • At least the panorama shot was taken when the sun was shining!

RLDorf on February 18, 2014 at 9:29 am
  9. Does this mean we are getting a copper sink?

Lana on February 18, 2014 at 8:11 am
    • I doubt it. This is just spam advertising hijacking the site. It happens.

Sally on February 19, 2014 at 1:23 am
  10. My radar started bleeping when I read this so I'll repeat what Lana said. Does this mean we get a copper sink. Oh my, I hope so. They are gorgeous and anti-microbial, so little chance for germs.Simple wipe down does the trick!!! Sorry, I bet the gears are turning now. LOL No I do not have inside info, just guessing.<3;)^_^. P.S. I still have no cabin cam=/ What's up? I sent msg. to cabin cam people, so I am just waiting….Does anyone have anything wonderful to talk about? I'm not feeling well and I thought cam pics would help. DIY channel just did 2011 B.C. so watching Matt B. was fun, now its Matt M. turn. Oh well , guess I will watch tv for a while. Good morning everyone.<3:D;)^_^

Sheri McNamara on February 18, 2014 at 9:19 am
    • The Living Spaces voting is up. Voted yet?

webwoman on February 18, 2014 at 10:39 am