Feb 4

People’s Choice Round Three: Vote for Kitchen Features

Blog Cabin 2014 People's Choice Vote

It’s time for round three of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving to the main level of the home. For the next two weeks, you’ll be selecting features for the kitchen. From the island top material and cabinet colors to the refrigerator and accent features, you’ll have a variety of ways to help design this year’s kitchen.

Keep in mind though, your flooring pick from round one will greatly affect the cabinet choice you pick in this round. In round one, you chose the tiger strand bamboo flooring, so choose the cabinetry color that will best coordinate with that design.

Have fun, and be sure to share your picks with the group.

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 10:53 am on February 2, 2014

1,067 Comments

1. I saw an episode of "Buying and Selling" the other day in which Drew and Jonathan removed the pot rack from the couple's kitchen first thing! : )

Nancy on February 13, 2014 at 9:30 pm
  2. Workers on sit this morning. The starting of the foundation walls has begun. At 10 AM the first sign of the wall can be seen above ground level.

Jay Michajluk on February 14, 2014 at 11:13 am
  3. They removed the dumpster and it is nice to see the workers laying the foundation. There are lots of people working there today. That water is absolutely gorgeous, beautiful blue color and it is nice to see the sun reflecting on it and it is getting warmer in sunny Florida!

Slps60 on February 14, 2014 at 11:31 am
    • The dumpster has been moved to the other end of the house where the yellow crane is. Looks like they are removing a lot of stuff from inside the building. Wonder why a lot of it is in bags. Was it that the trash from the old site was put inside the house so all of it would be taken away at the same time/ I do like watching the foundation being put up. Time has gotten away from me this morning I must get going. Will check in this afternoon

Jay Michajluk on February 14, 2014 at 11:54 am
    • It's probably in bags to prevent site pollution. Old insulation, paint etc. has a lot of toxic dust hence the bags for safe disposal. Also, it was windy (10 – 18 mph wind) so lighter material like old ceiling tiles would blow around if not bagged. ^_^

Clive on February 14, 2014 at 12:00 pm
    • Makes sense.

Jay Michajluk on February 14, 2014 at 12:21 pm
    • It's one of the things I like about jobs managed by Dylan. He ensures the sites are kept clean and there's as little mess and environmental damage as possible.

Sadly, many contractors don't adhere to that concept. They don't remove all waste, and seem happy to leave debris like nails around to be 'found' later or buried a few inches under a flower bed. The construction equivalent of sweeping the dust under the rug. :)

Clive on February 14, 2014 at 12:45 pm
    • So right on both accounts. Lets hear it for Dylan. Hip-hip horay! Hip hip horay!! hope it is right. But you know what I mean anyway.:);)

bogartandbacall on February 14, 2014 at 2:09 pm
    • Jay, I did notice the dumpster had been moved to the other side, but thanks for pointing it out anyway!

Slps60 on February 14, 2014 at 5:43 pm
  4. Come on folks let's vote for the Free-Standing Electric Convection Range. It's larger and convection is the way to go. Besides, I don't want to have to swap out the other range when I win. ;)

Keva on February 14, 2014 at 12:23 pm
    • You know we have been hearing a lot about making the convection range the choice and very little about the double oven, but the votes do not reflect that. Do you think the supplier will swap it out if the person that receives the house did not want the double oven? With this block of voting it looks like the votes were cast in stone from the very first day. There seems to have been no movement in the way bloggers have been voting. In the past after some days of blogging you would see some movement in the choices that were made early on.

Jay Michajlluk on February 14, 2014 at 2:23 pm
    • I, too, am surprised that the vote hasn't changed. But plenty of people have thought that the majority of voters do not read this blog. Too bad really. Such a great resource for information about our choices!

stlmom1 on February 14, 2014 at 5:55 pm
    • I tried!

COOLSMILEY on February 15, 2014 at 2:40 pm
  5. Just checked the camera again. When I looked closer to the finished wall I did see little metal strips between the blocks. Most of the time this is done to help hold a facing of brick to the foundation block wall. So we may see some brick after all.

Jay Michajluk on February 14, 2014 at 12:25 pm
    • Never doubted it. :)

Clive on February 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm
  6. Looks like the Dinning Room, Living Room and Sun Room walls are done. I do not believe that the footer for the Kitchen end of the house has been dug yet. I would guess because of all that has to be done getting stuff out of the house from that end they will wait until all that is removed before starting. Then again that is all new construction on that end and was not part of the original house. They may want to rest the original house on the blocks before starting the addition.

Jay Michajlluk on February 14, 2014 at 2:03 pm
    • I think you're right. This house is old and the floors may very well be uneven, especially after the move. It may be easier to get the floors in the new addition to align with the old if the house is on the new foundation before they build the foundation for the new section.

Ralebird on February 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm
    • Looking at the camera, I also think getting the movers' longitudinal beams out from underneath will be easier without the foundation for the addition in place because currently there is more distance from the property line on that end of the house. This house could be off the cribbing by the middle of next week.

Ralebird on February 14, 2014 at 3:29 pm
    • When I last checked, it looks like they removed some of the blocks that they set earlier. May be so they could remove the beams then fill in the wall after the beams were removed.

Jay Michajluk on February 14, 2014 at 11:15 pm
    • Do u know the acreage on this one?

COOLSMILEY on February 15, 2014 at 2:42 pm
    • 5.11 acres with 164 ft of lakefront and 999 ft from the road line to the lake..

DannyF on February 15, 2014 at 3:54 pm
    • Be still my heart, Nice!!

COOLSMILEY on February 15, 2014 at 5:50 pm
  7. Is there a schedule posted as to when we start voting on the living space selections?

Kat1551 on February 15, 2014 at 10:10 am
    • Look under 'Coming Attractions' above. ;)

AnniesOwn on February 15, 2014 at 10:36 am
    • DYI usually starts the next round of voting on Tuesdays.

MAOW on February 15, 2014 at 11:28 am
  8. Good Morning. I was looking through the original blog cabin photos taken this year and saw wonderful items that I hope are incorporated into the new home. The glass door knobs, the light fixtures or part of them, the breakfast nook table top, the brass bed. And don't forget all the wonderful door with the glass. Either for their actual intended use or as accent pieces with other new items. Thank you DIY you always keep me thinking what will be next.

Kat1551 on February 15, 2014 at 10:23 am
    • It looks like that some of that stuff has been removed from the house and placed on the ground just past the area where the new kitchen will be built. They put a plastic covering over something from the house.

Jay Michajluk on February 15, 2014 at 5:07 pm
  9. I LOVE the copper top on the island…You can wax it to give it durability…I also am in favor of the lighting feature as opposed to the pot rack..the pot rack is a utility item..the lighting is ART plus the light it gives for the work space, so I LOVE it too……agree that a pot rack will get in the way and not practical for use… The cherry cabinets will give the bamboo flooring a rich feeling and pull out the gold contrast…think the lighter cabinets will just swallow the pattern up of the flooring…cherry is warmer than the maple; makes it cozy…Personally I like GAS cooking so even though I chose the double door, my perfect stove has 6 burners and two ovens side by side…Think that the APPLIANCES should be copper to match the island top, though….and the pulls on the doors/drawers…or do the remaining counter tops in slate and have appliances in slate instead of stainless…copper pulls…AND a copper range hood…haven't gotten that far but glass on part of the upper cabinets would be cool….I saw that the drawers got more votes than the lifting seat storage in the nook…not sure what you'd PUT in drawers under seats…in a kitchen…

callmekatt on February 16, 2014 at 1:15 am
  10. My Husband and are praying that we win this Beautiful Blog Cabin in Winter Haven Florida, I am so ready to move to Winter Haven Fla., tired of the snowstorms up here in the North. Bones are hurting with all the shoveling. We vote ten times a day in the People's Choice Vote. May God grant us this Beautiful Cabin.
    THANK YOU DIY FOR THE OPPORTUNITY. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!

Maria Del Pilar on February 16, 2014 at 11:19 am