Feb 4

People’s Choice Round Three: Vote for Kitchen Features

Blog Cabin 2014 People's Choice Vote

It’s time for round three of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving to the main level of the home. For the next two weeks, you’ll be selecting features for the kitchen. From the island top material and cabinet colors to the refrigerator and accent features, you’ll have a variety of ways to help design this year’s kitchen.

Keep in mind though, your flooring pick from round one will greatly affect the cabinet choice you pick in this round. In round one, you chose the tiger strand bamboo flooring, so choose the cabinetry color that will best coordinate with that design.

Have fun, and be sure to share your picks with the group.

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 10:53 am on February 2, 2014

1,067 Comments

1. Does copper belong in the kitchen?
    I looked it up on the internet and found this blog
    PAfarmhouse writes: Had copper installed at my reno by an awesome carpenter and a roofer. They look great, hardened foods can be taken off with a little water soak and a teflon scraping blade (made for pots and pans). Any etching or discoloration patinas over in a day or so, matching the rest of the countertop.

My problem is: over the past 2 months the substrate countertop must have dried out and shrunk in the dry winter weather. The overlying metal has formed bulges in spots down the length of the counter, even popping off the heavy duty construction adhesive holding it down.

Love cabin on February 4, 2014 at 11:39 am
    • What good information, I knew some of this, but did not like the uneven surfaces to but some things on. Stone wear, you would have to but protection under so as not to scratch or for some not to tip. Have kids or grand kids spills? Also think have a pan holder over a island bad, to see everyone, tacky, if people are to set there, rather have it by the cook top for it's easier. A lot of maintenance if you ask me, I notice some of you don't like a lot from the last voting.

Denise_D._ on February 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm
    • Copper, zinc, stainless are all perfectly acceptable and widely used counter top materials, they just need proper underlayment and installation. I wouldn't judge a material on one person's problem.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 2:39 pm
    • All have different waring and stainless would be better than copper. Besides Copper is in short supply and need not be waisted on a counter that will stain and scratch easier than stainless, it's a softer metal

Denise_D._ on February 4, 2014 at 5:42 pm
    • I also had in a home with a big cooper exalts vent. When I moved it was all dirty, discolored and gross, I clean it and put a special metal polish on it that kept it nice, with a polishing about every 6 months to get the dust off. But it doesn't have the wear a island top might. took couple cleaning days also. But at that time, I was a supervisor for a cleaning co. And knew what and where to get it, not the every day over the counter stuff.

Denise_D._ on February 4, 2014 at 6:17 pm
    • great information…

twoTERRIERs on February 4, 2014 at 5:56 pm
    • I think you need to contact whoever did it for you and have them look it over. There may have been something done wrong in the installation. Good luck.

Geri on February 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm
  2. I love these choices! Copper tops and cherry cabinets with the wine bottle chandelier, oh my! Once again I couldn't get the link for the ovens to work, but I think it's on my end. Convection looks good, but what's underneath? Drawer or warmer? I really like the idea of cooking two things at different temps, but could always cook one at a time if the other is kept warm. Can someone let me know?

stlmom1 on February 4, 2014 at 11:42 am
    • The link is working for me. The convection oven has a storage drawer beneath-no warming drawer.:(

SID on February 4, 2014 at 1:08 pm
    • That is a downer…..just got the link to work so I am looking forward to investigating these ovens!

stlmom1 on February 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm
    • We have a similar double oven and love it. Though we use the top much more than the bottom, for family gatherings, the ability to have different things baking at different temps is a real time-saver.

RLDorf on February 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm
    • As I mentioned in another post, I have a KitchenAid (not promoting the brand! : ) convection oven with a bottom warming drawer. It's great for keeping plates and serveware warm, as well as food! I do love the convection option – food cooks faster, more evenly and stays moister.

Nancy on February 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm
  3. Now we're cookin! I just don't know what recipe we're following. For starters, in order to sort out this mix with the Tiger Strand Bamboo Flooring that was chosen and our current choice of Cherry or Maple Cabinets, I think it's time to call in Betty Crocker and the Kitchen Cousins. They'll know what to do.

DBCoop on February 4, 2014 at 11:49 am
    • once again you are right on top of things DB. We all have soooo much to say and DIY gives us the choices. Aren't we the lucky ones, for many reasons. Have a great day everyone, Nan ;) ;) <3 <3

Nan on February 4, 2014 at 5:18 pm
  4. Storage space looks to be a premium in this house so the flip top benches are a must. Drawers waste about 50% of the space and the handles are prone to getting broken off when kids use them to climb up.

Sally on February 4, 2014 at 11:53 am
    • You are so right Sally, with so much more storage space I would think the flip top bench would be the easy leader. You would also always have to pull the table out to get to the drawers to slide them open. I'm sorry to see it's such a tight race between the two.:'(

SID on February 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm
    • Would have to move the table too to get at some of the storage.

Denise on February 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm
    • Yes, flip top benches can hold more stuff but they're not safe for small kids who can get trapped inside them. I couldn't vote for them for that safety reason alone.

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 3:08 pm
    • How can kids get 'trapped' inside a flip top bench? There are no locks or clasps. That's just silly.

Durfee on February 4, 2014 at 3:59 pm
    • No's locks, means they can't get trap. Also I your are worry about it anyway you can drill small air holes. Also if they take your things out to get in you know where they are.

Denise_D._ on February 4, 2014 at 4:10 pm
    • same way they get trapped in toy boxes. look it up.

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 4:53 pm
    • Oh please. Try having several kids. They will get into everything but we can minimize the damage. Not voting for a seat storage is absurd thinking kids would get trapped. Get real. How about putting locks on them for the parents who have several boys…keeping them under control!! Just kidding but you get the idea. One child parents are usually overly safety conscientious versus multiple child parents. Old fashioned chests had poor design locks/latches enabling them to be accidentally locked. Not so today and that is a owners decision to adapt their home and environment to child safety extremes. Relax and enjoy the home you might win, then adapt the home for even more safety latches and pillows at the bottom of the stairs. You will be surprised how many people are in the ED from falling down stairs as ADULTS, not even counting the elderly! They will fall outside walking to school and get hit twice by lightning before being trapped in a built-in seating storage in the breakfast area. I had the safety latches on kitchen and bathroom cabinets when my kids were small but taught them right and wrong AND as common sense, put the chemicals out of reach in another cabinet high up accessible. Sorry, done with my soap box.

kmh on February 5, 2014 at 4:24 pm
    • Wow, I never thought bringing up a safety concern would cause negative blogging replies.

AndreaMP on February 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm
    • kmh I agree with you.If there are concerns with small children getting caught up in flip top benches, teach small kids to keep out of kitchen! That's pretty simple and it works. If they are small enough to get in the cabinets, use cabinet locks. There are so many answers to that. When I was growing up there were certain things you didn't do or else. Kids need boundaries. Remember adults are the bosses kids are not. Simple.If so many things scare someone , play the voting game ,but not the play to win voting! KMH you are right, and I too am now off my soap-box. Remember voting people, Dylan has had lots of experience with house renewal , he knows what he is doing.Good day all. Please don't think any of this was against you kmh I totally agree with you. I do get carried away sometimes.<3xD XXOO

Sheri McNamara on February 6, 2014 at 2:25 pm
    • No not at all. I see so many fears and apprehensions people have and convey that fear onward without a second thought. One example might be a parent does not swim so the fears of the water or whatever happened goes to the child and they do not swim also. Get swimming lessons by a professional or another family member. Teach more skills. Its hard and I do understand, but to what point. However some who love the drawers and not the open bins are entitled to their opinions and voting. Democracy right. But to say stupid stuff like its dangerous or getting kids trapped is almost like me saying you cannot build a home near the lake or next to a horse farm because of the dangers. I do not ,as mentioned by you too, think Dylan or the team would ever build a home or furnishings that were not safe.

As for the french door refrigerator. My vote is for the side by side. Several models do have the ice dispenser bulky and taking too much room. Just go to another model or manufacturer. They are there for your choosing. I like the shelving and organizational options rather than open bulk storage. Even these models come with slider shelving but one box gets the slider caught every time, especially when I am in a rush cooking. I will value any new refrigerator along as its quiet!

kmh on February 8, 2014 at 3:00 pm
    • You could always add a safety lock to them, as with any cabinet.

HonestC on February 8, 2014 at 2:43 pm
    • Young children will always find places to play and hide. I see the biggest danger here is an occasional bump on the head and a few pinched fingers. I have built a many toy box. The hardware is the type approved for child safety and will not let the set go down unless you add enough pressure to make it go down. So lets hope the crew will use something like this. Now lets get out there and vote for the flip top seating and storage. You will get much more storage for the same amount of space.

Jay Michajluk on February 4, 2014 at 8:09 pm
    • And the 'thing' you are looking for in the Flip Top will be on the very bottom of the bench !

gremol on February 5, 2014 at 4:16 am
  5. Just copied and pasted images in power point to play around with colors. The light and dark striation in the flooring compliments both cabinet choices. I didn't like the butcher block with the light maple. The cherry with copper looks very rich and will be my choice, unless bloggers convince me otherwise.

LAUDGIRL on February 4, 2014 at 12:11 pm
    • Glad my instincts were right. I'm with you on those choices and the darkness of the cabinets can be lightened with wall and backsplash colors.

grammagail on February 4, 2014 at 2:25 pm
    • Hi grammagail, I agree with what you are saying. The problem is, unless I missed it, we don't know what color the wall and backsplash colors are. Hopefully that will happen in accordance with whatever this round of winnings will be. That makes good sense.<3xD I just love this stuff<3xD

Sheri McNamara on February 6, 2014 at 2:31 pm
    • I love the look of the copper counter top, but if you want it to remain looking that way, you will be very disappointed. As others have pointed out, it will stain with anything acidic spilled on it, and it will get dents and dings from pots and pans than cannot be rubbed out. If you want something that will last and hold up, and can be sanded to look like new, it's the butcher block. I wish they would have given the option of granite or slate. :)

HonestC on February 8, 2014 at 2:42 pm
  6. The kitchen appears large enough to handle the cherry wood; however, I DO agree with the maple being a light color and nice for the airy concept. Can't wait to see which gets chosen.

OK….here's my quandary about copper vs butcher block….If someone could answer this, I'll feel more confident in my choice. Everyone talks about how weather will AGE copper….won't this be the case with a copper countertop? What MUST be used to keep the copper looking good?

I think it was nice to see the flip seats in this dining area since the seating in the upstairs room had many upset. It's not the same, but I can see this being helpful to have ANYWHERE in a home.

Having a side by side fridge, I know how wonderful it would be to have a French door fridge style. It is nice to see how they have added the freezer & water dispenser to the door.

Trish on February 4, 2014 at 12:21 pm
    • Hi Trish. Perhaps I can reassure you about the copper counter. The example shown has a hammered surface. If they use flat sheet copper it will require more maintenance than a hammered surface ( just because a smooth surface will be more likely to show dents, scratches etc). However if they use HAMMERED copper (as shown in the photo) it would be perfect from the perspective of historic Craftsman period detail, and maintenance would be very simple as it is already aged and distressed. I am voting for the copper and hopping they use aged and hammered stock as shown, just because I have so much faith in the DIY crew to make their projects the very best that they can be. We have a gorgeous hammered copper sink in our own wet bar area, and it takes nothing but a quick swipe with a damp rag to keep it beautiful. Hope this helps.B):D

SID on February 4, 2014 at 1:29 pm
    • I wish I could take and post a picture of my sister's "hammered copper sink" that is only two years old so everyone could see how it actually wears. Granted I'm comparing a sink to a countertop, but still, her's is not an active household and they eat out a lot. Kitchen counters suffer a lot of abuse too and I just don't see that copper standing the test of time. :/ I think the copper would look stellar with the cherry cabinets, just not practical for the work space though.

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 3:05 pm
    • Ditto

Denise on February 4, 2014 at 5:47 pm
    • Sandy, the voice of reason! TYVM
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 4, 2014 at 9:53 pm
    • Amen and well said SID.xD<3;)

Sheri McNamara on February 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm
  7. Butcher block is easy to clean and refinish if needed. Dinks, scratches, even burn marks can easily be sanded out. That's why it's so enduring in kitchens.

Copper stains easily with anything acidic (sauces, fruit juices, vinegar etc.), dents easily and scratches easily. It can't be refinished easily so deep scratches and dinks remain for ever. Polishing out stains is very time consuming and hard work.

I know which gets my vote. :)

DannyF on February 4, 2014 at 12:22 pm
    • Still like the copper. I've had butcher block and hated it.

grammagail on February 4, 2014 at 2:23 pm
    • I hear both sides. I don't care for the butcher block but thought it was the lesser of the two "evils" -if you could call them that. Sorry DIY!! My sister has that same patterned copper for her new apron sink and it is so discolored after only two years and shows a lot of wear. Yes, her's is a sink and think of all the abuse a sink gets, but counter tops get their share too. I had to nix the copper for that reason. I love it for exterior features on a home but it's not practical in the kitchen for a work surface. Sorry. :(

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 3:01 pm
    • Completely agree Gail, probably the worst thing about butcher block is that it is difficult to keep clean enough for food safety. Bacteria can get deep down into the wood grain. This is exactly why you are supposed to keep separate cutting boards for meats and vegetables, and it's safer to not even use wooden cutting boards. Sorry but I just can't see wooden kitchen counters as anything but a food poisoning risk.:'(

SID on February 4, 2014 at 3:08 pm
    • Wash it down with 2% white vinegar after use or daily and all will be OK. If it really were a germ magnet it wouldn't be allowed in top restaurant kitchens, and it is. :)

DannyF on February 4, 2014 at 3:10 pm
    • You are right about the vinegar, I use it on everything.

Wind Chime Girl on February 4, 2014 at 9:55 pm
    • Nowadays it's becoming less frequent in restaurant kitchens. Not because of problems with germs if it's well maintained but due to new FDA rules. They stipulate color coding for cutting boards. Boards must be coded green for vegetables, red for meat, yellow for poultry etc. It's easier to have a colored plastic cutting board thnt have to check which board is for what food. The rule is supposed to help eliminate error when people are working fast. Not sure what happens if the cook is color blind. ;) :D

Clive on February 6, 2014 at 3:01 pm
    • Hi SID, That makes good sense.. If copper wins, and I hope it does, someone can get butcherblock cuttingboard if they really are determined to have it. I just think there are safer choices for cutting boards. I guess that is why we make choices, but there are some really nice cutting boards out there that are not made of wood. Great day to all.xD<3;)

Sheri McNamara on February 6, 2014 at 2:40 pm
    • ask me about pull out wook areas under the counter!!! my kitchen is 60 years old [my design] and the only thing i''d add would be pull out surfaces over EVERY drawer.

s.hugdahl on February 8, 2014 at 8:12 pm
    • I'm for butcher block

Ann on February 9, 2014 at 2:06 pm
    • I totally agree with you DannyF. It's why I also chose butcher block. Had it for years and still love it, and it always looks fresh. To those who hate butcher block maybe you didn't know how to keep it up, which is much easier than copper. Copper is such a pain to maintain plus discolors to not so attractive appearance, nor as durable for the use it would get. It belongs on the bottom of my kettles which is still a pain in the arse to keep up. Work work work!

JackieOC on February 12, 2014 at 4:07 pm
  8. Part 2

I have seen the double ovens and have said, "want, want". However, I have read and heard people saying the size of the turkey is limited to the size of the oven with the double purpose ovens. So???? turkey dinner must be elsewhere? What a great excuse if you want out. :D

OK….I have always thought that the water systems of the house must be together. When I saw the location of the laundry room, I wondered aloud how does THIS work?

Trish on February 4, 2014 at 12:22 pm
    • Designers try to get all plumbing and drainage aligned vertically, i.e. bathroom under bathroom or kitchen under bathroom. This Dylan has done. I'll guess the small sink in the coffee area will be above the laundry room.

On the bottom floor, with just crawl space underneath there can be lateral plumbing and drainage. Drains are the more important factor. This is because the drains under the floor can be angled down without going into living space. They all have to converge into the main drain pipe. If there were drains all over the top floor the gap between first level ceiling and second level floor would need to be two to three feet at least to allow for the slope to the main drain. :)

Clive on February 4, 2014 at 12:36 pm
    • Never considered the coffee/tea station above the laundry room….

Trish on February 4, 2014 at 3:10 pm
    • We have a similar double oven and haven't had trouble getting a turkey in….just have to remove the top racks….and still have the other oven for other stuff.

RLDorf on February 4, 2014 at 1:15 pm
    • I just thought of another way we could prepare the turkey….no oven needed by cooking it outside.

Trish on February 4, 2014 at 3:12 pm
  9. As for the chandelier vs. pot rack….Even the chandelier would have to be dusted. Yes, I do clean light fixtures, not daily; but yes, they do get dusted. Doesn't everyone?

Being a short person though, I wouldn't want my pans UP where I can't reach them. And those are a daily used item.

Trish on February 4, 2014 at 12:28 pm
    • The good thing with a pot rack or big chandelier like these choices is they can be taken down or changed easily. They're not permanent in any way. ;)

Clive on February 4, 2014 at 12:39 pm
    • True….for aesthetics – go with the chandelier. More people could make these after seeing how it is created. Sounds like many of your viewers are looking for these "How to" videos.

Trish on February 4, 2014 at 3:14 pm
    • I'd rather have the chandelier as a talking piece than the pots and pans hanging down. lol

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 5:06 pm
    • I have a pot rack now in my kitchen and I can't imagine not having one. So easily accessible and I am not overly tall, about 5'4" . Just don't place the rack in the middle of the room unless over an island so people won;'t bonk their heads.

sjiowa on February 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm
    • I have a small pot rack and love it. It holds the six items I use most. The remaining pots and pans are on pull out shelves in base cabinets. Cooking is a breeze.

ChicagoBirder on February 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm
  10. Just looked at the specifications for appliances. Refrigerators: French Door $2899, 28.6 cu., Side-by-side $1699, 25.9 cu.; Ovens: Double $1399, 2.2 cu. upper, 4.4 cu. lower = 6.6 cu. total, Convection $1199, 5.5 cu., storage drawer, not warming drawer.

Hopefully they won't get mad at me for showing prices Just though it would help with decision. Never realized French Door frig so expensive!

LAUDGIRL on February 4, 2014 at 12:42 pm
    • The cu space may be there, but is it efficient. The side by side looks more efficient. Shelves adjust. Did you check out all the views?

Denise_D._ on February 4, 2014 at 1:26 pm
    • French Door is really efficient and easier to use. Ther's more space to get big things into the freezer. Side by side is more limited in how large an item can go inside. Also, when you open the upright freezer side all the cold air 'falls' out. Each time isn't much but it adds up to more energy to cool it over time = higher cost of running.

DannyF on February 4, 2014 at 1:58 pm
    • I just finally got rid of my side-by-side refrigerator and replaced it with a French door with freezer at the bottom. I love the French-door fridge. Side-by-side was horrible, the icemaker took up most of 1 shelf space in freezer and – the new french door has the icemaker in the door itself, thereby freeing up a lot of space. You could not pay me to ever have a side-by-side again. The French door – well worth the higher price.

Windsmurf on February 4, 2014 at 2:04 pm
    • Those are our plans, too. French door frig is in the future. The smaller freezer space is very inconvenient. People go out and buy larger freezers for other spaces when they discover this. (Rolls eyes on this side of the screen). Live and learn.

Trish on February 4, 2014 at 3:08 pm
    • The shelves on the French Door frige adjust too.

webwoman on February 4, 2014 at 6:10 pm
    • dont get double door u have to open both anyway…freezer under ref over much better use of space.

s.hugdahl on February 8, 2014 at 8:16 pm