Feb 4

People’s Choice Round Three: Vote for Kitchen Features

Blog Cabin 2014 People's Choice Vote

It’s time for round three of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving to the main level of the home. For the next two weeks, you’ll be selecting features for the kitchen. From the island top material and cabinet colors to the refrigerator and accent features, you’ll have a variety of ways to help design this year’s kitchen.

Keep in mind though, your flooring pick from round one will greatly affect the cabinet choice you pick in this round. In round one, you chose the tiger strand bamboo flooring, so choose the cabinetry color that will best coordinate with that design.

Have fun, and be sure to share your picks with the group.

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 10:53 am on February 2, 2014

1,067 Comments

1. I have a question for our DIY team. I was reviewing the second floor drawing again today. I have a question about the outside wall construction. If the drawing is true to scale of a 36" door between MB and BR looks like the wall construction is 2×4's. I would assume that these walls will be insulated against the cold and heat. Would it be better to make the outside wall out of 2×6's to accommodate a higher R rating of insulation. Also what is being done to insulate the roof now that it looks like the rafters will be exposed. I grew up in a Cape Cod style home where my bedroom was on the second floor under a cathedral ceiling. It was very hot with only R3 rated insulation used. I am sure you all have this covered…was just wondering.

Jay Michajluk on February 7, 2014 at 7:35 pm
  2. Yoo Hoo Kayla…please let us know before or with the next voting round for "Living SpaceS" which rooms in the downstairs area we are voting on. There are so many potential Living Spaces on the first floor.
    Ex.. if we are given a molding choice would you make sure we know it's molding for the foyer vs. family room vs living room space? As voters it helps us make decisions on how we would best like a particular space finished.

Also bloggers every since I saw the floor plan with no door(s) planned from the Family Room into the Sunroom I've been wondering if DIY intends to build a clear stained glass wall along the wall these two rooms share. This would allow for the lakeside view from the front of the home to be enjoyed, and more light to enter this room. It would be a great architectural feature and perfect for an Arts & Crafts home too. This type of wall treatment would have little impact on furniture placement or lose any floor space to door(s). I know many of you have suggested door(s) between the Sunroom & Family Room, which is great for flow….I've just been trying to imagine why the decision for no door?
    I'm adding a link of a Mega Dens show where they built a small clear stained glass wall at the top of a stair landing. Perhaps that back wall in the Family Room will have something like this? You see the finished 1/2 stained glass wall near the end of the clip. I'm not saying this is better than a doorway!….but could the BC designers have something similar in mind for "our" Arts & Crafts Bungalow since no door is drawn in that space http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/one-groovy-famil

Mel on February 8, 2014 at 5:03 am
  3. I have been voting for the pot rack because I also thought it would be great to have one but now I am not sure after reading some of the comment from people that do have. It does appear that the pot rack is winning so I suppose I will just have to learn to live with it! ^_^

Slps60 on February 8, 2014 at 10:15 am
    • Or if you do win you can change it out, some have said if they win they would

Denise on February 8, 2014 at 10:33 am
    • Just take it down and donate to Goodwill. Then replace with a light fitting of your choice. Simple.^_^

Sally on February 8, 2014 at 10:47 am
    • I think I could manage somehow to live with whatever is chosen, bring it on folks! LOL ;) :p

SID on February 8, 2014 at 11:09 am
    • Sid, I agree, I think the most complaints were dusting and ugly pots hanging, I will be retired so I will have time to dust and my stainless steel pots I put in the dishwasher or clean them with barkeepers friend. I enjoy cooking so I think I would probably get used to using and enjoy the pot rack.

Slps60 on February 8, 2014 at 11:19 am
  4. Excited to see the kitchen come alive. I love the designs , colors of the rooms, you always amaze me. What a lucky person for someone to live there. Will be watching.

Becca4807 on February 8, 2014 at 10:52 am
  5. I see there has been some action at the cabin since I last checked in. Looks like t has cooled off a bit down there also. Everyone stay warm and enjoy your weekend. ^_^

amberPA on February 8, 2014 at 11:19 am
  6. The copper island top would be beautiful to look at, but is not practical at all for a kitchen that will be used for cooking. In time the butcher block top will only get more beautiful with use, but I do NOT think the copper will fare well with lots of cooking and baking on the surface. I suppose you could "baby" it and keep it pretty…but I USE my kitchen every day for making meals and sweet treats. I would never choose copper for a work surface.

While the double oven may offer more total cubic inches of baking space…I agree with another baker and wonder how anyone would bake a turkey in even the largest oven of the double oven. Convection ovens also make foods about 25% faster and cooked more evenly. (just sayin)

I disagree with another poster about the cabinet color. I think the lighter cabinets are just going to make the dark highly contrasted flooring stand out even more. I think the cherry(darker) cabinet color will help tone down the flooring a bit.

Also a word on the bench seating…the flip top will be easier to access without moving anything (table or chairs) out of the way to access drawers. They will also give you more storage than small drawers will.

Just my two cents worth :)

Rebecca on February 8, 2014 at 11:35 am
    • Rebecca, Welcome back, I've missed you! I hope you've been well. We have another cabin build to share, with a great view even if there is no dock to meet on each morning. Do you think you will love this house as much as the 3013 BC? To quote you my friend – Much Love!<3<3<3

SID on February 8, 2014 at 2:02 pm
  7. Very nice!! Excited for the kitchen :D

JenniferAnn on February 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm
  8. I would like Josh T. To try and make another one of those tables, which he took a wide long piece of wood and cut it at angles to make one of the coolest dinning tables I have seen in a while. So much he liked it he kidded around about taking it to his home. I was going to write this last week, but was more focus on the kit. Writings.

Denise_D._ on February 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm
    • I agree Denis…I loved that dining table, but I thought I remembered Anitra and Grundy building it? My memory isn't exactly 100% reliable anymore!:'( That table was so clever that I'd hate to give credit to the wrong artisan. Oh well, the BC crew is all so talented!

SID on February 8, 2014 at 2:19 pm
    • No, this table was on House Crashers. I like last years, but this one the grains coming together at different angles, to make a elongated 6 sides. They have re runs on today watching now to see if they show it again. Then I could fine the show #. Josh and Grundy made the coffee table, it was cool too.

Denise_D._ on February 8, 2014 at 2:50 pm
    • Oh, I haven't seen that other one! Denise I'll have to try and find it, thanks!:D

SID on February 8, 2014 at 3:28 pm
    • Just looked again on host list Josh isn't on it, guess there goes that table chance. Must be doing something else.

Denise_D._ on February 9, 2014 at 11:19 am
    • Hi Denise, that table was made by Alison Victoria from kitchen crashers along with Chris Grundy and Doug Tolson. That is an awesome table!:D

Sheri McNamara on February 9, 2014 at 12:32 pm
    • Sheri I think you are right, it was Alison Victoria and Grundy who made last years BC dining table. That table was so perfect for a beach front cabin, it will be hard to top that one!:D

SID on February 9, 2014 at 1:09 pm
    • Better read all comments and discribtion correctly. I said on house chaser not blog cabin.

Denise_D._ on February 9, 2014 at 3:59 pm
    • I also comment to Sid and thought he finger things out but guess both of you a
      Only watch blog cabin. I can't believe Sid you said you would try and fine that show then agree with Sheri who didn't even try and read it all.

Denise_D._ on February 9, 2014 at 4:04 pm
    • Denise I am very sorry if I have some how offended you. If I now understand correctly we are talking about two different tables. I do watch house crashers, but apparently missed seeing the Crashers episode where they built the table you mention. This is the Blog Cabin site, so when you mentioned loving a dining room table I assumed you meant the beautiful table that was made for the BC last year. I had no intention of offending anyone. If I did then I apologize.

SID on February 9, 2014 at 5:46 pm
    • Thanks Sid, I would think people would want a longer table and a cool one at that. That is why I brought it up. The one that Allison made last year is cool but the would be a long piece of glass. And don't know if it would be her room, because it is mixed with the living room. A number of Hosts have put together long reclaim wood tables. I just remember that one as being very cool for a solid table.

Denise_D._ on February 10, 2014 at 8:36 am
    • Denise_D Josh Temple posted a coffee table on Instagram that was made of Porcelain Calcutta slab on the top with Wenge on the bottom. He mentioned he wanted to take this one home. Perhaps are you talking about this one on House Crashers??? o.0

jchristie24 on February 9, 2014 at 6:13 pm
    • The table was all wood and I think there is more than 1 that he wanted to take home, but this one I looked at body language and it looked like he really really wanted to, as he would say. I wouldn't dout that he was thinking of making another for his own. Flaming Maple would really make it even better, or some other wood with the wave in it's grain. I hope they would bring him back just for that type of table.

Denise_D._ on February 14, 2014 at 3:43 pm
  9. Yikes! The Live camera isn't working for me, all I get is that old Panoramic image!:@ Is the Live Camera down or could there be something they don't want us to see just yet? We know they can be naughty like that!;)

SID on February 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm
    • It's off line the maybe making room for equipment or something on that order.

Denise_D._ on February 8, 2014 at 2:52 pm
    • Maybe DIY are doing something they don't want us to see. The 'Panorama' is from several days back, not recent.

Have you tried contacting 'True look' to tell them it's not working?

Company Info

TrueLook HQ & Support
      102 W 3rd Street, Suite 725
      Winston-Salem, NC 27101
      Hours: M – F, 9AM – 5PM EST
      Toll Free: 866-811-2321

Sally on February 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm
    • Hi Sally, the live camera has been working fine for me until about an hour ago. I did contact TrueLook. Thank you for the TrueLook contact info, but to contact them quickly all you need to do is click on the button (the one with the yellow ! ) at the top right of the live camera window to report any camera issues. That button opens a little window where you can email the support team directly. I have reported issues to them before this way and they were really quick to fix the problem. Of course sometimes they just stop the camera briefly to sneak things past us that they don't want us to see just yet! ;) xD There's no way for us to know so I just use the "report camera issues" button in case they don't know.:D

SID on February 8, 2014 at 3:26 pm
    • Thanks SID. did know that but I just thought if people were unaware they can phone also. A lot of bloggers think the cam is owned by DIY. ;) Hope it gets back on track soon. Off to watch more Olympics. :D

Sally on February 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm
  10. I totally agree about the copper, it would be hard to maintain. Also in breakfast nook, pull out drawers would be a little inconvenient, as you would have to move table whenever you need to access inner ones.

Rita Jackson on February 8, 2014 at 2:25 pm