Feb 3

After Floor Plan: The New First Floor

I seemed to have washed away some confusion by posting the new second floor last week. To make voting a breeze from here on out (well, sort of), here’s the revised first floor to get you ready for People’s Choice Round Three — kitchen features.

Blog Cabin 2014 After Floor PlanFIRST FLOOR >> AFTER

Compare the original floor plan to what’s to come. What big changes do you immediately notice?

• The living room is moved and expanded.
  • Hello, foyer!
  • The home will have a laundry room (where the dining room used to be)(!!!!).
  • The front porch is now the office/bonus area.
  • The kitchen is getting moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views.
  • Plus, there’s secluded family room right off the foyer.
  • There will be two bathrooms downstairs, a Jack and Jill bathroom between the two bedrooms and a powder room underneath the stairs.

Some things that are staying the same, sort of:

• There will still be two bedrooms on the main level.
  • The sunroom is staying in the same spot, at the right rear of the home.

Note: All specifications and designs are subject to change without notice.

Update 2/4/14: Revised Floor Plan

Our design team updated the floor plan to make a few things a little clearer for you all. First, although the dining room will not be its own separate room per se, it will be in between the living room and kitchen, denoted as #6 on the revised floor plan (above). Second, #2 on the floor plan is a Jack and Jill bathroom shared between the main floor’s two bedrooms (#1 and #4). Lastly, the kitchen (#3) is actually being moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views. The front of the house will feature the bedrooms, laundry room (#5), foyer (#8) and family room (#10).

• Posted at 4:04 pm on February 2, 2014

1. Dylan, I had a thought about your wonderful plans for the 1st floor. Would it be possible to incorporate the half bath into the laundry room to not have to run the extra plumbing? Maybe the door could be relocated to the foyer area? I know we are always second guessing you, but I thought this might actually be an easier layout and not have the bathroom "out in the open" so to speak. I know it will be beautiful whatever you decide will work!

stlmom1 on February 3, 2014 at 11:11 pm
    • I think you may have something there. I like the stack washer-dryer saves room. I did it in my home and took out the big double sink for a smaller. It was to make things to code. The fuse box was behind the washer and not aloud anymore. No where else to but them either. Less bending too. That would give more room and more privacy for people. Square off that corner.

Denise_D._ on February 3, 2014 at 11:51 pm
    • I have to admit I wonder why they didn't but it on the laundry, beside it; ? a lot of wall to move, just thought it was small.

Denise_D._ on February 3, 2014 at 11:58 pm
  2. Love it!!!
    I agree with grammagirl that a door between the Living room and sun porch would open things up and make a shorter route from the kitchen.
    Even better (Big Wish) skoot everything over to allow room for a door directly from living room to the family room by the powder room.

Gail on February 3, 2014 at 11:17 pm
    • There is already a double door shown between the living room and sunroom. To put a door between the family room and living room would eliminate their separation allowing for noise infiltration from one to the next. The way it is now, adults and kids can be separated…which is a good thing! The door from the family room to the sunroom others have proposed would be a much better idea because that would still allow isolation by closing the doors between the living room and sunroom.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 2:02 am
    • My suggestion was a door from the family room to the sun porch, not to the living room. That way there would be a traffic flow possible in a circle around the stairs and allow entertaining space to include living room, family room and sun porch.

grammagail on February 4, 2014 at 10:19 am
    • As much I Agee and thought of it. I think the wall is going to have entertainment on that wall.

Denise_D._ on February 5, 2014 at 9:10 am
  3. Hi Kayla,
    Thanks for sharing the floor plan for the down stairs. Loving it! Have to say I was a little thrown by the master being up stairs, but now can see how it would work well. So exciting to see everything unfold!!
    FYI: Round 2 choices were MUCH harder…Everything is so lovely. I got a little greedy…
    Don't hate me if I want built in benches AND comfy chairs
    And coffee in the morning AND a glass of wine in the evening in my private retreat, Thank you very much :-)

Gail on February 3, 2014 at 11:37 pm
  4. Thanks for the plans before the next rounds of voting. This is a tremendous help. I'm hoping that the kitchen and living room are facing the lake. Where will the seating be for dining, in the expanded living room? I'm hoping the shared (Jack & Jill) bathroom will have two sinks- that is a MUST HAVE for a shared wash room. Other than those minor things, it's getting clearer and I am loving it. I can't wait to see that sun room and I love the idea of an office. And I'm hoping that there will be an automatic entry way for pets (please make it large enough for a 75 pound doggy :) )

AndreaMP on February 3, 2014 at 11:43 pm
  5. Any thoughts as to why the LAKE SIDE walls for rooms 4 and 5 were not extended to be even with rooms 1, 2, and 7?

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 11:47 pm
    • Oops, I posted a similar question… should have read yours first. :) I was thinking similarly but I believe Lake side is where that wall of windows is on the kitchen, expanded living room and sunroom side of the home.
      Anyhoo, I think perhaps there will be a front porch outside #s 4&5, but I would prefer them even with the rest.

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 12:06 am
    • Maybe that will be for a veranda.

webwoman on February 4, 2014 at 1:45 am
    • Rooms 1 and 2 are new construction addition as is the kitchen. Room 7 was the original dining room and will be restored to its original size before bumpout was removed for moving the house. Rooms 4 and 5 retain original outside wall; moving them outward would be a big expense and would create a very unattractive slab sided house. Finally, the rooms you mention are all on the road side of the house; the lake is to the bottom of the illustration.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 1:48 am
    • Opps! Yes, ROAD SIDE, not LAKE SIDE. Sorry for the confusion.

MAOW on February 4, 2014 at 4:26 am
    • It may be that they need a load bearing wall to support the second floor.

Jay Michajluk on February 4, 2014 at 10:35 pm
  6. I'm so ready for round three- kitchen features.. I took the bait and clicked on the hyperlink that's not loaded yet. LoL :D

AndreaMP on February 3, 2014 at 11:49 pm
  7. And I'm curious to see where the outdoor shower/washroom will be incorporated, along with the in-ground pool, patio, outdoor kitchen, etc. :D :D :D

AndreaMP on February 3, 2014 at 11:53 pm
    • Do you think there will be a pool? I wasn't sure there would be a budget for one.

Lia_M on February 4, 2014 at 1:18 am
    • Pool? Never hurts to ask!

RLDorf on February 4, 2014 at 1:33 am
    • …Riding ring, zipline, putting green, batting cage, tennis court, stable and of course, the motorcourse. Must keep up with the neighbors.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 1:54 am
    • I was dreaming out loud. :D

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 10:13 am
  8. Will there be a front porch in front of rooms #4 & #5? Looks like something is missing or else why not bump it out to enlarge those rooms?

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 12:01 am
    • Expect to see a portico of some sort added outside the foyer entrance to shield it from the elements. Any significant deck or patio belongs on the other side, facing the lake.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 1:51 am
    • Right.. sounds great, Ralebird. :D

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 10:14 am
    • Most likely the style of the home or for landscaping.

cucumberHOH on February 4, 2014 at 4:43 pm
  9. What a great floor plan. i love that the living room, kitchen and sunroom all face the lake.

joyfulj9 on February 4, 2014 at 1:02 am
  10. Thanks for sharing the new plans for the 1st floor, they look like a great new design for today's living style. I love all the window for the kitchen and living room, facing the lake. I can't wait to see the patio designs, and how the parking area by the kitchen is handled. I agree with all the bloggers that have posted about french doors on the sun room, that seems like a great design change. Can you sneak a hint and tell us if the old ironing board will have a clever reuse in the first floor?

Lia_M on February 4, 2014 at 1:17 am
    • I doubt very strongly that there will be a parking area anywhere near the kitchen, that may not even be permitted by environmental considerations for runoff. Expect to see a parking area close to the foyer entrance possibly connected by driveway to the area by the existing shed.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 1:22 am