Feb 3

After Floor Plan: The New First Floor

I seemed to have washed away some confusion by posting the new second floor last week. To make voting a breeze from here on out (well, sort of), here’s the revised first floor to get you ready for People’s Choice Round Three — kitchen features.

Blog Cabin 2014 After Floor PlanFIRST FLOOR >> AFTER

Compare the original floor plan to what’s to come. What big changes do you immediately notice?

• The living room is moved and expanded.
  • Hello, foyer!
  • The home will have a laundry room (where the dining room used to be)(!!!!).
  • The front porch is now the office/bonus area.
  • The kitchen is getting moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views.
  • Plus, there’s secluded family room right off the foyer.
  • There will be two bathrooms downstairs, a Jack and Jill bathroom between the two bedrooms and a powder room underneath the stairs.

Some things that are staying the same, sort of:

• There will still be two bedrooms on the main level.
  • The sunroom is staying in the same spot, at the right rear of the home.

Note: All specifications and designs are subject to change without notice.

Update 2/4/14: Revised Floor Plan

Our design team updated the floor plan to make a few things a little clearer for you all. First, although the dining room will not be its own separate room per se, it will be in between the living room and kitchen, denoted as #6 on the revised floor plan (above). Second, #2 on the floor plan is a Jack and Jill bathroom shared between the main floor’s two bedrooms (#1 and #4). Lastly, the kitchen (#3) is actually being moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views. The front of the house will feature the bedrooms, laundry room (#5), foyer (#8) and family room (#10).

• Posted at 4:04 pm on February 2, 2014

1. I would design it differently, like access from the outside to the kitchen. In this plan you have to carry groceries across the house to the kitchen. Dislike straight staircases, maybe angle the last four steps, would like to see a larger master bedroom on the main level. Two bedrooms upstairs with one used as a media-multipurpose room.

Sam on February 3, 2014 at 8:50 pm
  2. Where do I begin to tell the story of how I'd build this house for me?

At the beginning I suppose, for even though today was one of those days I'd like to take a vacation from "retirement," the tale must be told.

So I'll start off with the easy fluff and work my way towards the tough stuff. (Some may have already been touched upon, some hinted at, others yet to be discussed.)

1. Bedroom #1 — Gain closet space in the bedroom by moving the inner side closet wall to the right and repositioning the bedroom's entry door to face directly down the hall.

2. If not already in the plan, add bi-fold doors to the inset hall space opposite the J&J bathtub for extra storage.

3. Space/clearance permitting, open the J&J Bathroom wall to reposition the commode into the currently designated Bedroom (#4) closet, closing the wall off into Bedroom #4. This adds necessary space to a tight bathroom. As previously suggested, pocket doors would also free up more space to this bathroom.

4. Move the Bedroom (#4) right wall into current room #5 space to pick up a full-width closet. Now — your choice — remove reduced closet space in room #5, or leave in smaller closet if desired.

5. I'm just not feeling room #5 as a Laundry area. Right off the living area doesn't feel right to me. Is this a West Coast quirk? The answer: Repurpose the space into the Bonus Room/Office. For a little extra square footage, push out the angled entry wall of Room #5 by extending the common wall between the foyer and room #5, keeping it angled with a single glass French door.

6. In line with the posted comments to open the Family Room up into the Sunroom (and the views) definitely go for a pair of French doors to finish the room to perfection. Wall off the current entry into room #10, with an entry door off the Sunroom and there you have the ideal location (or to me, much more so) for the Laundry Room — away from the central social areas of the home.

7. As bloggers have noted already, please open the Foyer's interior wall into the Living Room to add a real punch of charm, openess and, need I say, glorious water views. The left (indented) wall of the Foyer can then become a great closet/storage space, if again not already planned.

8. Now for the tough stuff: the Powder Room opening directly to the Living Room is, um, awkward to me, especially with the current door swing. If it's possible, reverse the stairs so they begin to head upstairs from the Living area, then move the Powder Room back towards the Entry Foyer. The upper stairs could be finessed with a landing if necessary to provide the space for a required turn into the second floor Master Bedroom Retreat.

9. Final option: Keep everything more or less as is, with minor tweaks. You might continue to hear some grumblings, but in the end, this Blog Cabin will be another sensational heartbreaker.

10. Last but not least, keep smiling! We simply love being armchair architects and personalizing each room from top to bottom. Thankfully, the People's Choice vote helps to channel some of that creative energy. ^_^

DBCoop on February 3, 2014 at 8:53 pm
    • I also thought the laundry room was in an odd location and should be where the bonus room/office is. Great idea changing door from family room to sunroom to solve better location of laundry room. I also like an entrance to a bathroom to be more private, but we may be asking for too much!

LAUDGIRL on February 3, 2014 at 9:50 pm
    • To me, the current LAUNDRY location is fine.

It is near the 1st FLOOR BEDROOMS and BATH which is were most of the dirty clothes/towels will be returned to after they are clean. The current location may also allow for a LAUNDRY CHUTE from the MASTER BEDROOM.

I would consider moving the one LAUNDRY wall into the FOYER and then split the room to allow for a 3rd FULL BATH or larger 2nd BEDROOM.

Just my 2 cents.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 10:04 pm
    • I would normally agree based on proximity to bed/bath rooms, but since it opens into the living area, it seems it will be a bit of an eye sore. I would probably keep the door closed, but an office/bonus room's door could be left open.

LAUDGIRL on February 3, 2014 at 10:46 pm
    • LAUDGIRL,

Maybe some clever blogger will come up with a suggestion that would avoid having the LAUNDRY ROOM and POWDER ROOM doors opening into the living area.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 11:01 pm
    • I'm OK with the laundry next to the bedrooms, especially if that bedroom next to the laundry room is used for guests. Hope that adjoining bedroom wall is sound proofed. The shared bath really needs to have two sinks. Really.

AndreaMP on February 3, 2014 at 11:56 pm
    • Agree to both! Two sinks if possible and I like the laundry room locoation as drawn.

Lia_M on February 4, 2014 at 1:06 am
    • Coop,

Because Florida has a climate that can be intensely humid, I like that they haven't drawn the alcove at the side of the foyer as a closet; wet or damp clothing hung there will have a chance to dry, unlike what might happen in the closed space of a closet. IMHO

Don

DGustaf on February 3, 2014 at 10:29 pm
  3. I guess I am confused. •The kitchen is getting moved to the front of the home. •The sunroom is staying in the same spot, at the right rear of the home. Looking at the new drawing they are on the same side of the home.
    Which is it? Does the foyer face the road? Would that be called the front of the house?

Jay Michajluk on February 3, 2014 at 8:57 pm
    • That seems to be the most confusing subject of late. I believe, if I got it right, the roadside is actually the front. The lakeside tends to be, in my opinion, the more scenic side which is why it had confused me. So roadside is the front, same side as the front door. Hope that helps Jay. Good day to you.:)

Sheri McNamara on February 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm
    • I see that they made a drawing change – seems to be much clearer now…. tnx Sheri

Jay Michajluk on February 4, 2014 at 10:27 pm
    • I grew up on a lake in NJ and the front of the houses were always considered the lakeside. When I moved away from the family home I found that in other areas it was not considered so. To this day I have trouble thinking of anything but the lakeside as the front of the house… :)

DeCe on February 11, 2014 at 7:22 pm
  4. I like the first floor layout. Looks like the 2nd and 3rd Bedroom will have bigger Closets then the Master Bedroom will! Will the Bonus/Office room have a Foldout Bed or some kind of backup Guest Room?
    Just a thought that would make a good use of space that way!!! ;)

asandmancan on February 3, 2014 at 8:57 pm
  5. Dylan your floor plans are great. Kayla thank you so much for getting the floor plans to us so fast. I cannot wait until tomorrow to start on the kitchen votes!! Since this is probably my favorite room in my house I cannot wait to see what Dylan has in store for us.I hope it will be light and bright like a cottage or cabin (waterside) should be.This is the beginning of the whole first floor and lots of fun!! I love this home already and it has only just begun.:D<3 I want to win this home. Since I already live in Florida I won't have much to pack, lol. I fell in love with 2013 BC and thought there could not be anything better… I was wrong, this is an A Plus. Good evening and pleasant dreams to all.<3

Sheri McNamara on February 3, 2014 at 9:30 pm
  6. While the kit is move the ? Is where are people going to eat. No dinning room if you have company. Not a lot of storage and 2nd bed room very small. I hope that they have one of those benches with storage or cubby to but shoes, and hooks for coats and umbrellas, because there is no coat closet. I was hoping there was a add on to the house other than the 2nd floor. Lots of windows a plus.

Denise_D._ on February 3, 2014 at 9:42 pm
  7. No dinning, room little closet in real sm. bedroom, not much storage. I hope the powder room is bigger than it looks under that stairs. Lots of windows. Hard to have too many people over. I was hoping a expand on the build. Oh well it is what it is.

Denise_D._ on February 3, 2014 at 9:50 pm
    • I like the room 9 window.

Denise_D._ on February 3, 2014 at 10:10 pm
    • I guess wronge now I looked at it closer it's the new fireplace.

Denise_D._ on February 3, 2014 at 10:18 pm
    • The new addition containing rooms 1,2,3 and half of 4 appears to be 20' x 28'. That, combined with the new space upstairs makes this a comfortable size.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 2:05 am
    • 2 bedrooms 1 is real small the bonus room too small for any thing but a crib.better look again. A br isn't one until it has a closet. It's marked office or perhaps art, or storage.

Denise_D._ on February 4, 2014 at 7:58 am
    • This is now a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house; each bedroom has a closet. The family room and office could easily be converted into a second master suite. Are you forgetting the upstairs? "Better look again."

Ralebird on February 5, 2014 at 1:47 am
    • I was just talking of this floor, the office is the old front porch. Too small for a bedroom. Remember all this stuff on paper fit in this small house.

Denise_D._ on February 5, 2014 at 8:59 am
    • Denise, you mentioned no dining room but #5 is the dining room and is marked that way. I really like the way it is set up. It seems like there is plenty of storage especially for Florida home. We don't generally need the amount of clothing needed in the northern states. Also the metal shed can be made into several storage sections. As long as appropriate packaging material is used, there shouldn't be any problems. Don't forget, we have a long way to go yet and Dylan is not going to let anyone down. I can't wait to see more. All bloggers just remember, I'm all set to move into my new 2014 Blog Cabin . You all will find lots of storage in the smart home or even that fancy dream home. LOL Great day and lots of smiles to everyone!!!xD:D;)

Sheri McNamara on February 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm
    • OOPS I said it wrong. The dining room is designated #6. Can't count how many times I said it wrong before the blog. Oh well. I have been out in the fog too long. Smiles again to all!!!!xD

Sheri McNamara on February 5, 2014 at 5:36 pm
    • Your visitor will stay a 1 or 2 weeks, they will come with winter and summer, spring clothes. Plus if you want to travel N. you would need to have a place to store Yours. My parents live down the and had lg. closets for guess for this reason. They now move back to S.D. For their final resting place and my dad can hunt again and do his shooting club contests.

Denise_D._ on February 6, 2014 at 7:53 am
    • I don't con cider it a room, just a area. For company on holiday reunion I like formal dining room. Open ones get used as setting and you can't set up the table the way you would if it was formal. I think they did it for over flow of company. You can enter for years and never win. I wish people would stop saying their the winner or going to move in. It's corny.

Denise_D._ on February 6, 2014 at 8:25 am
    • We're only having fun!

LAUDGIRL on February 6, 2014 at 11:13 am
    • Sheri,

For what it is worth, I don't think the DINING ROOM was labeled as such when the original 1st FLOOR PLAN was released. On 2/4/14 Dylan released a statement saying, "First, although the dining room will not be its own separate room per se, it will be in between the living room and kitchen, denoted as #6 on the revised floor plan (above)".

MAOW on February 6, 2014 at 9:08 am
    • there seems to be plenty of room for guests. if needed, the family room (#10) could be made into sleeping space for unexpected overnight guests. the dining room and living room appears capable of holding a lot of people too.

AlainaMacGaren on February 8, 2014 at 12:38 am
    • How many guests will need bedrooms? I guess HTTV could build a motel instead of a home. Three bedrooms seems to me to be plenty to house, and entertain occasionally. And one or two tubs only. This is a personal home. One won't have a continual line of guests needing bedrooms nightly, not likely. I think more focus could go on your own living areas, and less changing the house around for multitudes of guests.

webwoman on February 9, 2014 at 2:49 pm
  8. Anyone good at determining room size and overall square footage – PLEASE SHARE!

This is my first year on the blogs. Have there ever been changes made based on blogger's ideas?

LAUDGIRL on February 3, 2014 at 10:01 pm
    • Several of the early BC's had significant changes made based on bloggers comments.

Some bloggers seem very good at estimating room sizes, not me I'm sorry to say. DIY hasn't posted room measurements since BC 2009.

AnniesOwn on February 4, 2014 at 1:33 am
    • A standard bath tub is five feet long; you can measure the tub in room 2 to make a ruler in five foot increments on a piece of paper to get a good estimate of any measurements in the house. If the tub in that bathroom is actually a six foot tub, all measurements would need to be increased by 20%. The scale is probably not the same in the upstairs layout.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 2:21 am
    • Welcome to the blog Laudgirl!! Most bloggers are very nice and very knowledgable, so you'll get great info. Make sure you check out cabin cam, it's awesome!!:D

Sheri McNamara on February 4, 2014 at 1:56 pm
    • Thank you Sheri. I'm having fun, but not getting as much done as I should be! I think I remember you stating you are from FL. From my blog name, I'm sure you can tell what neck of the woods I live in! Only a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive to BC. Can't wait to move in!

LAUDGIRL on February 5, 2014 at 11:08 am
  9. Dylan you could gain more in room 1 by either moving the closet on the bath wall and the door on the other wall, not un usual to get access by way of a closet for the tub, then have the entry on other wall or just move the wall closer to the doorway and make the closet bigger. In my home it's tight where 4 rooms meet one at a 45 angle into the little hallway. 2nd just move the closet wall closer to the door to get more storage.

Denise_D._ on February 3, 2014 at 10:07 pm
    • Sorry I meant the closet could go on sink or tub wall.

Denise_D._ on February 3, 2014 at 10:15 pm
  10. Looks good to me but I would agree with SID that a french door from the family room to the sunroom would be great; also, it would lend more space to a large family gathering.

NvbH on February 3, 2014 at 10:14 pm