Feb 3

After Floor Plan: The New First Floor

I seemed to have washed away some confusion by posting the new second floor last week. To make voting a breeze from here on out (well, sort of), here’s the revised first floor to get you ready for People’s Choice Round Three — kitchen features.

Blog Cabin 2014 After Floor PlanFIRST FLOOR >> AFTER

Compare the original floor plan to what’s to come. What big changes do you immediately notice?

• The living room is moved and expanded.
  • Hello, foyer!
  • The home will have a laundry room (where the dining room used to be)(!!!!).
  • The front porch is now the office/bonus area.
  • The kitchen is getting moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views.
  • Plus, there’s secluded family room right off the foyer.
  • There will be two bathrooms downstairs, a Jack and Jill bathroom between the two bedrooms and a powder room underneath the stairs.

Some things that are staying the same, sort of:

• There will still be two bedrooms on the main level.
  • The sunroom is staying in the same spot, at the right rear of the home.

Note: All specifications and designs are subject to change without notice.

Update 2/4/14: Revised Floor Plan

Our design team updated the floor plan to make a few things a little clearer for you all. First, although the dining room will not be its own separate room per se, it will be in between the living room and kitchen, denoted as #6 on the revised floor plan (above). Second, #2 on the floor plan is a Jack and Jill bathroom shared between the main floor’s two bedrooms (#1 and #4). Lastly, the kitchen (#3) is actually being moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views. The front of the house will feature the bedrooms, laundry room (#5), foyer (#8) and family room (#10).

• Posted at 4:04 pm on February 2, 2014

1. Love it! Thanks for sharing the new plans with us. would not change a thing.

Noreen on February 3, 2014 at 4:56 pm
  2. Identifying the front and rear of the house continues to be a problem this year as it was last year. Even Kayla has mixed them up here, describing the kitchen as in the front of the house and the sunroom as in the rear – can't be both! I live in a coastal area and while the waterside becomes the "front" for purposes of setbacks and allowable uses, people here still refer to the road side as the front and the water side as the back. That keeps the front door from being in the back!

I think I'll stick with road side and water side here.

Ralebird on February 3, 2014 at 4:58 pm
    • I do the same as you. We live on a lake and refer to the front as the side facing the road as does everyone around here. Last year it seemed the convention was to call the waterside the front. So for no confusion it's 'lake'side' and 'road side' for me too.;)

Clive on February 3, 2014 at 5:24 pm
    • At my family's cottage, we always refer to the lake side as the "front" of the cottage. (Lake front)
      And because of the long driveway leading up to the cottage, unseen from the road, we call that side "the back." Now with this Blog Cabin, "lake side" and "road side" works for me. :)

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 12:25 am
    • I always thought that the front of the house was what ever part of the house was facing the road where the mailman could see the numbers on the house, if you were on a corner lot it would be what side chosen you would want to be front and use that street not the other side for street. DID I EXPLAIN THAT RIGHT? oh there is no dinning room now? What is it? That sound nice but I still would want the laundry room and bathroom switched.

Charlotte on March 4, 2014 at 8:39 pm
  3. Thank you Kayla, I love the new first floor layout. Especially love all the windows at lakeside and the open floor plan in the main living areas! The two bedrooms with the full shared bath are great, and I love that there is also a separate family room, but have to agree with others that have asked for french doors from the family room to the sunroom. Without doors to the sunroom there is no FR lake view and the flow between living areas of the house and family room/office is a bit awkward. Also must agree with other bloggers that a wider entry doorway between the foyer and family room would create a grander entry to that beautiful open Great Room space. I hope Dylan doesn't want to strangle any of us for all our enthusiastic suggestions!:o:p:D

SID on February 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm
    • One more suggestion. Shorten the hallway and move the bedroom 1 doorway to strait across. That would allow a slightly larger closet in that room. More closet and less hallway always a good trade off!;)

SID on February 3, 2014 at 5:22 pm
    • I like the idea of making the BR 1 CLOSET a little bigger. You could also turn that little space into a LINEN CLOSET in the HALL.

On the subject of CLOSETS. I would move the CLOSET in the LAUNDRY to the wall it shares w/BR 2. I would make the CLOSEST the entire length of the wall. Since there is no BASEMENT you are going to need as much CLOSET space as possible.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 5:28 pm
    • Ditto, but why is the tub in the common bath area where a double sink usually is? Is there not enough space to put the tub and toilet in the 'back' area?
      I know Dylan is working within the constraints of the original footprint of the home, but that bath seems just a little odd.

Wind Chime Girl on February 4, 2014 at 2:18 am
    • SID, I agree on your hallway suggestion. Looks like a little 'dead' space right there that could be more closet space.

Wind Chime Girl on February 4, 2014 at 2:19 am
    • Dylan, will the windows facing lakeside be longer windows? That would make the view more expansive, and people could see out better when seated, rather than being eye level with the window sills.

webwoman on February 3, 2014 at 8:55 pm
    • I ditto your sentiments and praise for the outstanding features in the new floor plan!!! I also agree with the French doors for the sunroom for aesthetic reasons bur also functional. The sunroom could then be used for sleepovers or additional guests. Finally, the entry doorway changes suggested appeal to me.
      However, I would be thrilled to win this dream cabin without any changes!!!

Nina on February 15, 2014 at 12:51 pm
  4. This is WONDERFUL! Thank you Dylan and Kayla for this and I hope, like SID, that we don't cause you too many headaches in our excitement about this home! We appreciate what you have done and will do! Thank you again!

stlmom1 on February 3, 2014 at 5:50 pm
  5. What do you all think of this idea?

Make BATHROOM (2) exclusive to BEDROOM (1). BEDROOM (2) would also get an exclusive BATHROOM.

How? By moving the wall between the LAUNDRY and the FOYER towards the FOYER we get a slightly larger LAUNDRY space which can be split (LAUNDRY and 3rd BATHROOM).

This would allow all 3 of the BEDROOMS to have their own BATHROOM. Sound good?

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 6:00 pm
    • Hi MAOW ! Have also been thinking about this. Agree with moving BR 2 over toward laundry to increase bedroom size. No 3 rd Bathroom. Move laundry over toward foyer to the place where wall goes out. Laundry cabinets along bedroom wall. Others said open foyer to living room which would be good too. And the French doors between the family room and sunroom Is a great idea .Eliminate the hall wasted space back at bedroom 1 and rearrange both bed room doors. Extend bedroom 1closet. Do love the windows in the kitchen. We all have ideas but Dylan will make it beautiful for the fortunate winner. The entire Team always does a terrific job. Keep warm everyone. Snow here again. my best to all, Nan ;) <3 ;) <3

Nan on February 3, 2014 at 6:53 pm
    • Moving laundry room wall great idea. Bigger bedroom, not third bath.

Lana on February 3, 2014 at 9:22 pm
    • Nan and Lana,

After reviewing all of the posts on this thread there seems to be a lot of support for using space from the LAUNDRY for another purpose.

Personally, I prefer a 3rd FULL BATH (Big family and adding another FULL BATH helps to increase the property value). However, there certainly is a lot of support for extending the 2nd BEDROOM as well.

It will be fun to see if any adjustments are made to the 1ST FLOOR PLAN based on all of the great feedback provided by the bloggers.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 9:51 pm
    • I would say that at this stage of the game, plans have already been submitted for a building permit and only minor, nonstructural changes can easily be made. Since the move was at least a few weeks behind schedule and very little has been accomplished since the move time will not allow for further delays.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 2:28 am
    • This is true, Ralebird..

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 10:07 am
  6. Really love, all those windows in the kitchen! And, that it on the waterside is super bonus.

joanlife on February 3, 2014 at 6:09 pm
    • Perfect plan for the windows and the view.

Nina on February 15, 2014 at 12:53 pm
  7. SWEET TREAT, thanks

COOLSMILEY on February 3, 2014 at 6:12 pm
  8. When do we start? LOL

COOLSMILEY on February 3, 2014 at 6:14 pm
  9. Went to sit down to get camera ready for sunset and opened up to new blog. I was so pleasantly surprized. I generly read fast and then go thru it slowly. Both times oh so wonderful, keeps getting better and better. Thanks so much everyone and can"t wait tiltomorrow. Gone back to looking for sunset.xDxD

bogartandbacall on February 3, 2014 at 6:15 pm
  10. Love everything except that quest will have to travel trough a bedroom to a bathroom. Love the French door idea and opening up of the foyer to the view.

LAUDGIRL on February 3, 2014 at 6:31 pm
    • There is a powder room at the base of the stairwell.

webwoman on February 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm
    • Ah, I missed the powder room. Now I'm happy!

LAUDGIRL on February 3, 2014 at 7:36 pm
    • Under the stairs.

Denise on February 6, 2014 at 7:39 am
    • Good point. Any guest without one of the 3 BEDROOMS would need to enter through a BEDROOM when taking a bath/shower.

Hard to tell how much space is in the BATHROOM labeled as (2) but maybe it is possible to put the tub next to the window and place the sink/toilet where the tub currently is. If the space between the sink/toilet is wide enough a door could be added.

Just my 2 cent.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 6:38 pm
    • how about a shower stall in the laundry room for the extra shower?? Forget the outside shower and have a mud room/laundry room?

kmh on February 3, 2014 at 7:39 pm
    • Or just let the 3rd guest draw straws with the others for using their shower. ;-)

webwoman on February 3, 2014 at 8:26 pm
    • I guess there is no edit feature on this blog. I meant guest!

LAUDGIRL on February 3, 2014 at 8:00 pm
    • 2 or 3 days ago I made the same comment (No edit feature). A fellow blogger was kind enough to point out that if you register for the Intense Debate function (Which is free) you are allowed to edit your posts.

I registered earlier today and have already edited one post.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 8:33 pm
    • I will register now…thank you MAOW,

LAUDGIRL on February 3, 2014 at 8:40 pm
    • There is the power room under the stairs!

Jackie on February 5, 2014 at 6:36 pm