Feb 3

After Floor Plan: The New First Floor

I seemed to have washed away some confusion by posting the new second floor last week. To make voting a breeze from here on out (well, sort of), here’s the revised first floor to get you ready for People’s Choice Round Three — kitchen features.

Blog Cabin 2014 After Floor PlanFIRST FLOOR >> AFTER

Compare the original floor plan to what’s to come. What big changes do you immediately notice?

• The living room is moved and expanded.
  • Hello, foyer!
  • The home will have a laundry room (where the dining room used to be)(!!!!).
  • The front porch is now the office/bonus area.
  • The kitchen is getting moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views.
  • Plus, there’s secluded family room right off the foyer.
  • There will be two bathrooms downstairs, a Jack and Jill bathroom between the two bedrooms and a powder room underneath the stairs.

Some things that are staying the same, sort of:

• There will still be two bedrooms on the main level.
  • The sunroom is staying in the same spot, at the right rear of the home.

Note: All specifications and designs are subject to change without notice.

Update 2/4/14: Revised Floor Plan

Our design team updated the floor plan to make a few things a little clearer for you all. First, although the dining room will not be its own separate room per se, it will be in between the living room and kitchen, denoted as #6 on the revised floor plan (above). Second, #2 on the floor plan is a Jack and Jill bathroom shared between the main floor’s two bedrooms (#1 and #4). Lastly, the kitchen (#3) is actually being moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views. The front of the house will feature the bedrooms, laundry room (#5), foyer (#8) and family room (#10).

• Posted at 4:04 pm on February 2, 2014

1. I have a stairway in my front foyer. The newer homes have the stairways reversed. I like the fact that you don't have to go by the front door to get to the heart of the house , especially since the master bedroom is upstairs. Is there an intercom system in the house.

Marilyn K on February 26, 2014 at 9:11 pm
  2. It looks good, however I would much rather have the master bedroom on the first floor, and the kids/guest suites upstairs. I wouldn't be able to get any sleep if my children were downstairs and I wasn't. Other than that, it is great.

stc on March 1, 2014 at 6:00 pm
  3. I think that the master should be down stairs and the two bed rooms up stairs. Other than that I love the house and I from North Carolina. I like the family room open to the kichen,not closed. I like every thing else in the blog cabin. I would like to have a garage for the car and a shop

Robert Puffinburger on March 6, 2014 at 4:28 pm
  4. Hi Kayla, quick question, are there only two exits to the outdoors on the first floor?

filanddell on March 26, 2014 at 12:05 pm
  5. I really like that the entire top floor will be the master suite – bedroom with exposed trusses, spa-like bathroom, and reading room with coffee/tea bar. And look how everywhere there will be so much natural light! Downstairs is a much more livable floor plan with lots of flow-through. I really love that there will be a nice big kitchen – the heart of the house, with a center island more conducive to the family working together at mealtime. I would have preferred butcher block to copper for the center island, since it's beneath the pot rack, but it'll still be pretty. Actually, if I had my pick for appliances, I would have picked a gas oven and cooktop with a griddle in the middle for fixing pancakes when the grandbabies come to visit, but beggars can't be choosers. The jack and jill arrangement for the 2 downstairs guest rooms to share a bath will be perfect when the girls come to visit with their children (the room with the bigger closet for the grownups, and a fun bunk room for the kids). The family room will be cozy for just my husband, the dog(s) and me and still big enough for the whole extended family when they come visit. I`ve always wanted a room just for my sewing, craft and scrapbooking projects, and this little room off the family room is perfect – you can see company coming. I wish I could pick up this house and drop it near the waterfront in Beaufort, SC. It would be nice to have some fruit trees, and an herb and vegetable garden, with a nice deck and outdoor kitchen for cookouts with friends and family, and a small fishing boat to go fishing or dolphin watching on the weekends, and our own dock from which Don and I could watch sunrises and sunsets together in our declining years. Oh well *sigh* – the odds aren't good that we'll win this house, and even if we did, we probably couldn't afford to keep it due to insurance, upkeep and property taxes. It's so much fun to dream, though. Thanks for listening.

Katherine Neff on March 26, 2014 at 1:35 pm
  6. My husband and I took a day and went on Winter Haven tour…….found the cabin site……….beautiful beyond description (looking ahead to what will be), and probably love the fact that most of the trees seem to be still standing more than any other single feature.
    It's a dream house, open, airy, plenty of breathing room with wonderful windows to let in the Florida light.
    We drove halfway up the drive, but didn't push our luck and try to go farther into the site. What a fun way to spend the day and serendipitous to actually find the house!!!!!!!!!

Florida native on March 31, 2014 at 11:59 am
  7. Here's hoping there will be a porch on one end of the house or the other………/?????Florida days can catch a lot of breezes with those old-fashioned porches. Where is the garage? Detached? With breezeway leading to it? This whole place is wonderful, however.

Florida native on April 15, 2014 at 7:54 pm