Feb 3

After Floor Plan: The New First Floor

I seemed to have washed away some confusion by posting the new second floor last week. To make voting a breeze from here on out (well, sort of), here’s the revised first floor to get you ready for People’s Choice Round Three — kitchen features.

Blog Cabin 2014 After Floor PlanFIRST FLOOR >> AFTER

Compare the original floor plan to what’s to come. What big changes do you immediately notice?

• The living room is moved and expanded.
  • Hello, foyer!
  • The home will have a laundry room (where the dining room used to be)(!!!!).
  • The front porch is now the office/bonus area.
  • The kitchen is getting moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views.
  • Plus, there’s secluded family room right off the foyer.
  • There will be two bathrooms downstairs, a Jack and Jill bathroom between the two bedrooms and a powder room underneath the stairs.

Some things that are staying the same, sort of:

• There will still be two bedrooms on the main level.
  • The sunroom is staying in the same spot, at the right rear of the home.

Note: All specifications and designs are subject to change without notice.

Update 2/4/14: Revised Floor Plan

Our design team updated the floor plan to make a few things a little clearer for you all. First, although the dining room will not be its own separate room per se, it will be in between the living room and kitchen, denoted as #6 on the revised floor plan (above). Second, #2 on the floor plan is a Jack and Jill bathroom shared between the main floor’s two bedrooms (#1 and #4). Lastly, the kitchen (#3) is actually being moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views. The front of the house will feature the bedrooms, laundry room (#5), foyer (#8) and family room (#10).

• Posted at 4:04 pm on February 2, 2014

1. It's Wonderful! I am so happy you chose to keep the Sunroom!! and the office room is just great! I could see me living here! GREAT CHANGES!!!!

Sha on February 3, 2014 at 4:11 pm
    • Great use of the original plan while expanding, modernizing and adding much needed floor space. Great idea swapping sides inside. The use of the space under the new stair case for a powder room is genius, I love the NO SPACE WASTED thinking. Using the original front entry for a bonus office was another great use of the floor plan. You've done what I'd hoped for. Please say there'll be a full length covered porch on the lake side as well as a foyer porch.

MrMoogy on February 4, 2014 at 12:09 pm
    • why can't you have the bedroom with it's own bath and the other bedroom with it's own where the laundry room is as a attach bath with use also to everyone, and put laundry room under the stairs, I would surely like a full bath as to a huge laundry room it also won't be in dining room/ which is weird also embarrassing if stinky IN the DINNING ROOM. I just thought it would be better.
      I also can never find any where if there is a answer to anything I have said, it's not like you are going to do what I say just would like to hear from others on it. how do I find my post?

Charlotte on March 4, 2014 at 8:07 pm
    • I love the changes also. What better way to spend some time than in a sunroom or lovely office space. This project is where I would love to be!

Nina on February 15, 2014 at 12:41 pm
  2. Thank you Kayla! this is fantastic looking forward to the choices. My very best to you ,Nan<3<3<3<3

Nan on February 3, 2014 at 4:12 pm
  3. Well all I can say is, holy smokes, love it . Wonderfull job. Ya done good.:)

540sam on February 3, 2014 at 4:22 pm
    • Hi Sam, Great fun seeing the new location…I Have to tell you I'm in Clermont and we visited the Blog Cabin property yesterday. We were thrilled to see the cottage sitting on that beautiful piece of land…Took pictures and will share when I figure it out and when Mr. Eastman will allow it. They took down a lot of trees and had No tresspassing signs on the roadside fence..Sure wanted to walk the property but refrained myself..LOL Got to go…..Check back later when I go home… Have a good evening…Jennie

Jennie/Florida on February 3, 2014 at 6:56 pm
  4. The Bonus/Office Room is a great surprise. It will be tough to convince the DW that this room IS NOT for her sewing room. I am certain to lose this argument. Happy DW, happy DH.

A little surprised to see the narrow doorway leading into the LVING ROOM from the FOYER. I would reduce the size of the wall going into the Living Room. I would also move the wall the FOYER shares with the LAUDRY towards the stairs for a straight wall.

Glad to see 2 BR/s and the shared BATH. I would have had at least one of these BR/s on the LAKE VIEW side.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 4:24 pm
    • I would also add FRENCH DOORS between the FAMILY ROOM and the SUN ROOM. You can open the FRENCH DOORS and see the lake from the FAMILY ROOM.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 4:32 pm
    • Really like your french door between the family room and sunroom. That also would create an alternate route between the living room and family room.:D

SID on February 3, 2014 at 4:56 pm
    • That's the place to put that garage door on the track from the old garage. Leave it open most of the time and close it up when you want it dark for movie viewing!

Ralebird on February 3, 2014 at 5:05 pm
    • LOVE that idea.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 5:10 pm
    • That's a seriously Great idea Ralebird….and would be a great DIY project to see on one of the shows.

Mel on February 3, 2014 at 7:39 pm
    • Adding FRENCH DOORS between the FAMILY ROOM and the SUN ROOM would allow the door currently positioned between the BONUS/OFFICE ROOM and SUN ROOM to be removed.

Removing this door will allow for better placement of furniture. My preference would be for a DAY BED for my afternoon nap (Zzzzzz).

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 5:04 pm
    • MAOW, I'd put my daybed in the sun room! They may have plans for that wall is why there is no access to the sun room there. Maybe a movie/TV screen . . . But the family room does seem to have a kind of odd access at first glance.

Wind Chime Girl on February 4, 2014 at 2:00 am
    • Agreed. The DAY BED would be in the SUN ROOM (Where the doorway to the BONUS/OFFICE ROOM is currently shown). The doorway to the BONUS/OFFICE ROOM would be removed once a doorway between the FAMILY ROOM/SUN ROOM is added.

Sorry if that wan't clear before.

MAOW on February 4, 2014 at 4:14 am
    • It sure does, reflecting back on it.

Deborah Maness on February 14, 2014 at 3:33 pm
    • why are they putting an office in the family room when they are voting right now for an office or craft room? I would want the craft room as that way they have it set up you can put 2 computers in there and still have the other table as a sewing table/craft table. I really think that craft room would be great! plus you are still getting the small office area in the family room for a office or kids game/computer area. this house has so many things going for it if people would just think about all the stuff available. plus why is everyone voting on tan blinds when the couch is white, fireplace is grays?? Just asking? I can't believe we got drawers little space instead of open tops on benches.

Charlotte on March 4, 2014 at 8:21 pm
    • What makes you think the couch is white and the walls gray? That hasn't been disclosed at all, unless I missed it.

Ralebird on March 4, 2014 at 11:55 pm
    • because that is what the picture shows. … so are we voting on an unknown feature?

Charlotte on March 5, 2014 at 2:38 pm
    • not walls fireplace

Charlotte on March 5, 2014 at 2:39 pm
    • The pictures are only samples of something SIMILAR to what is being voted on. The specifics of the choices are only what is written out. In the case of the sofa, it describes the TYPE of sofa, but NOT the color, so you can vote for the regular sofa or the sectional but the designers can use any color they want. The same with the walls or fireplace. The fireplace probably will not look at all like the ones shown but WILL have either some stained wood or SOME copper on it.

Ralebird on March 6, 2014 at 2:31 am
    • I agree with your suggestions on the narrow doorway and also the lake view for one bedroom

Nina on February 15, 2014 at 12:43 pm
  5. Thank you Kayla! It looks wonderful! Glad to see the first floor sunroom is going to face the lake! It also looks like a bunch of windows in the kitchen too! Yippeee! So pretty to look out on the lake as you are doing the dishes!

Did anyone see the guys resting under the house today while the other guys is still digging? They must've been on break! Hehee! ^_^ I am sure it is to cool down a bit…it is 84 degrees there right now. Whew! B)

amberPA on February 3, 2014 at 4:27 pm
    • ooooops! Other guy is still digging…..excuse the mistakes, my thoughts run faster than my typing! ^_^

amberPA on February 3, 2014 at 4:29 pm
    • Amber this might be the best kitchen design ever in a BC!
      Dylan must LOVE cooks….he certainly kept them in mind when he came up with the kitchen location and that bank of windows. How nice to be cooking and to be able to watch your kids outside. Plus the kitchen and dining space will be perfect for easy access to the backyard deck or patio :p

Mel on February 3, 2014 at 7:46 pm
    • The kitchen really has to be the best space in the house. :D

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 12:09 am
    • On second thought, the sunroom and kitchen views are much more critical than the bedroom. Kayla, what you have done is remarkable. Now I just need to win this haven in Winter Haven!

Nina on February 15, 2014 at 12:46 pm
  6. Thank you Kayla! You have added more excitement to the day with this. Now we can start those visions in our heads. Great day at BC!

grammagail on February 3, 2014 at 4:29 pm
  7. Moving the kitchen to the front – genius. Something that's often requested for the Blog Cabins. :)

Keeping the sunroom a conditioned space will help on those very hot days.

Comments if it were my house – dreaming ^_^

Pocket doors from the two bedrooms into the Jack & Jill bathroom would save a lot of space.
    Opening the foyer more into the living room by eliminating or widening the doorway.
    Doors or windows in the wall dividing the sunroom and family room to keep the lake views if needed and access to the sunroom area. opens up that end more.
    Possible side entrance to the kitchen to save coming through the house with groceries etc.
    Bonus office is a nice space to have if another bedroom is needed.

However, I'll be very happy to take it just as it is.

Thanks Dylan & Kayla lots of optional configurations for the winner. :D

Clive on February 3, 2014 at 4:32 pm
    • Side entrance to kitchen would be nice.

Lana on February 3, 2014 at 9:19 pm
    • Completely agree.

Which the KITCHEN on the LAKE SIDE I would think that there would be a door which would allow for food to be easily moved to an OUTDOOR KITCHEN or OUTDOOR DINING AREA.

MAOW on February 3, 2014 at 9:42 pm
    • and a pet entrance on that side entrance door :D

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 12:10 am
    • I'm right there with you, on wanting pocket doors on the J&J bath, and an exterior door to the kitchen.

The bonus/office is a mighty small space (if the door to the room is 30', the space is about 6' x 6'; at 36', the room would be 7' x 7') not really suitable as a bedroom.

I agree that the foyer to living room entry should be opened up a bit.

I like the powder room under the stairs.

The foyer has a good space for hanging rain gear; and thankfully, they didn't build it as a closet.

DGustaf on February 3, 2014 at 10:08 pm
    • For saving space, pocket doors are great, but I never cared for their upkeep over time. They never seem to close smoothly nor lock properly after years of use. That said, I hope they use traditional doors for the Jack & Jill bath, plus there could be robe hooks or towel bars placed on them. :)

AndreaMP on February 4, 2014 at 12:16 am
    • If the bonus/office is that small, it might be best suited for a big walk-in closet, for off season clothes, sports stuff or storage. All that STUFF we have to find space for.

webwoman on February 4, 2014 at 2:31 am
    • Wish it was the laundry room with an outside entrance.

Lana on February 14, 2014 at 7:19 pm
    • Clive I agree with all your points and the pockets doors especially. I'm not crazy about the doors opening up in that little area. The doorway from the foyer to living looks especially small for some reason.
      And a kitchen door to the outside would be wonderful.

Wind Chime Girl on February 4, 2014 at 2:08 am
    • I was going to write similar comments but find I am just as happy to say DITTO to your comments.

Susan TImmons on February 5, 2014 at 10:45 am
    • I must say this is a much better layout as old house are not. To bad you couldn't shorten one of the kitchen walls to make it all open, just a thought. I am loving it! I still want it if I don't win the Dream home. At the same time I'm liking where this one is at better. :)

Charlotte on February 14, 2014 at 3:33 pm
  8. cont. This plan should make it easier for all of us. With the 2 bedrooms still on the 1st floor, the upstairs extra room could be just about anything. I could now accept the reading room ,or make it into an all purpose room , sort of like last years room. Extra quests could spend a night or so with a built-in or regular sofa bed. With the family room downstairs, I just am not sure now how I prefer upstairs room to be done. Can not wait to see the kitchen and living and family rooms. Not sure I personally would want the office room but know a lot will. I think the floor plan certainly makes much better sense than original. A dining room was not necessary so glad it was omitted. Happy to be here and enjoying all of this. Thanks again Kayla, for sharing with us. all my best to you and the team, Nan ;) <3 ;) <3

Nan on February 3, 2014 at 4:33 pm
    • Great thoughts Nan. I'm hoping for beautiful Arts and Crafts Bungalow finishes, built-ins and moldings in the kitchen and Living/Great room spaces. What a beauty this home is going to be <3

Mel on February 3, 2014 at 7:51 pm
  9. Looks good to me! A lot of it is pretty much as I expected and for those who insist on having a ground floor master, the new layout allows for easy conversion of the media room and office into a master suite, possibly with it opened to the sunroom for even more space. it would even have its own small deck where the old front porch was!

Ralebird on February 3, 2014 at 4:34 pm
    • Actually, the office IS the old front porch. I suppose you could put a small deck in the corner just above the office.

Ralebird on February 4, 2014 at 2:43 am
  10. One thing hits me right off and that is a door to the sunroom from the family room would be nice to open the layout and provide access in a circle around the stairway. It would shorten the walk from the kitchen to the family room and bonus room. It would also open the family room to the sunroom for entertaining.

grammagail on February 3, 2014 at 4:37 pm