Jan 31

After Floor Plan: The New Second Floor

Blog Cabin 2014: After Floor Plan

I know you all have been going back and forth on the blog about what our former widow’s walk will become in the renovation. To build and design manager Dylan Eastman, the space seemed destined for a master suite getaway.

You’ll notice that when you first come upstairs, you walk right into an open space. This is what you’re voting on right now until Tuesday. Do you want it to be a social bonus room or a private sanctuary/reading room? Within that room, we have plans for a beverage area — an evening bar to whip up spiked concoctions, or a coffee and tea bar that’s perfect for use day or night. What about the seating? Would built-in window seats suit the space best, or comfy lounge chairs?

Through the doorway you’re in the master bedroom. To your right there’s a spacious closet, of which you can choose which organizational plan you like best. Imagine looking up. Do you want the master bedroom to have a trimmed, flat ceiling or vaulted exposed trusses? Straight ahead into the bathroom, you can choose the style of the space, the light fixtures and the shower floor tile.

If I could live in this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin, I don’t think I’d ever leave the upstairs area. I mean, there’s even going to be a beverage area. Coffee, tea, wine, views of Lake Hamilton, books — I’m good for days.

What do you think of the second floor design? Talk to me.

Note: All specifications and designs are subject to change without notice.

• Posted at 11:45 am on January 1, 2014

1. MBR: I'm hoping for a king size bed between the two windows in the MBR. Then a contemporary upholstered bench at the end of the bed so I can sit down and toss my shoes underneath. With this plan I'd like to be able to walk to all the bedroom windows. Definately an upholstered headboard with removable slipcover to wash. Translucent closet doors.
    Sitting Room: I don't see any space for my beloved window seats. I'd therefore like a love seat and two chairs as well as an ottoman to share with my spouse. Or would consider two large chairs with a shared ottoman. Prefer upholstery in sunbrella fabrics. I still like http://www.room&board.com outdoor collection for chairs. There's easliy room for a sunbrella upholstered dog bed / cushion too. i keep looking at sunbrella fabrics as I think this beach retreat is the perfect application for this versatile fabric.

ChicagoBirder on January 31, 2014 at 3:39 pm
  2. Wow! An entire space just for reading. I have never seen such a terrific use of space! Will there be bookshelves too?

Summer on January 31, 2014 at 4:15 pm
    • I think bookshelves are to be built along the back wall.

RLDorf on January 31, 2014 at 5:06 pm
  3. When do we get to see the first floor?

Summer on January 31, 2014 at 4:16 pm
    • All in due time , my pretty!!

COOLSMILEY on January 31, 2014 at 4:31 pm
    • Hopefully before we need to vote for first floor options!

RLDorf on January 31, 2014 at 5:01 pm
  4. I gave a reply early on that the stairs should be move to one end and to take down the stair wall on the first floor to make more room. I bet there is a lot more room now. Like that some of us think the same and the use of space wisely even if the house is small.

Denise_D._ on January 31, 2014 at 4:19 pm
  5. Off topic. Do we interact with cabin cam ? I thought it was just a live video stream??

COOLSMILEY on January 31, 2014 at 4:30 pm
    • Yes we do. You can zoom in and out, rotate left & right , etc. it is easier on a computer than a mobile/tablet device. There is also a panorama option when accessing via computer. As I recall, the panorama doesn't appear when I'm on my iPad.

RLDorf on January 31, 2014 at 5:04 pm
    • TY

COOLSMILEY on January 31, 2014 at 5:07 pm
    • You may make a post does't mean it will show up where you think. So many blogging. So remember it could happen to you. Learn to hold such comments.

Denise_D._ on February 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm
  6. Seems like nice sized rooms!!

COOLSMILEY on January 31, 2014 at 4:32 pm
  7. Kayla, I am with you! I could spend days in a master retreat. The party's can happen on the first floor and when exhausted I go to the peace and quiet. The floor plan is great. Thank you!

grammagail on January 31, 2014 at 4:37 pm
  8. I like the chair so I can look out with out cracking my neck. It is easy to bring up a bottle of wine and you can always add a wine cooler later or just a vine bucket.

Denise_D._ on January 31, 2014 at 4:54 pm
    • Yes, but the smell of coffee can be overwhelming and disruptive to someone else sleeping and the pretty crystal/glass of barware and bottles is much prettier, especially at night with light shinning on them. In the end, I will be happy with either!

LAUDGIRL on January 31, 2014 at 8:10 pm
    • To me a generic "Wet Bar" (Base (Cabinet for appliances and Mini-Refrigerator), Counter (Small Sink and Serving Area), and a few Open Shelves) would be used more than a Coffee/Tea or Bar Area. I don't know why the two options given were so specific.

MAOW on January 31, 2014 at 8:17 pm
    • I was thinking the same thing. Theres always going to be someone that either doesn't drink, doesn't do caffeine, or doesn't do a combination of the two. I like the generic wet bar.

amiller729 on January 31, 2014 at 8:34 pm
    • …or someone like me who needs cocktails and coffee. How can I be limited to only one? LOL.

MAOW on February 1, 2014 at 12:11 am
    • That's you sounds like you don't drink coffee.

Denise_D._ on February 1, 2014 at 9:09 am
    • That depends if you let them sleep with u some sleep in different rooms because of snorting and kicking leg issues. Also when I was in a hotel room I made coffee every morning and no one even woke up. So you just need to know what works for you,

Denise_D._ on February 1, 2014 at 9:05 am
    • I do hope that they do not over do it with the coffee bar. Just what is needed. If I may – a Keurig coffee maker not only makes coffee and tea. It also makes Chai, warm apple cider and hot water – go figure. The best to you each day and good to the last drop. I would put one in the kitchen also.

Jay Michajluk on February 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm
    • It really should stick to coffee & tea. The Keurig chai is simply awful.o.0 I'm hoping it will be a generic style of coffee bar / wet bar with a small sink and fridge so it serves multi purposes. It will be interesting to see what evolves here. :p

Clive on February 1, 2014 at 9:18 pm
    • I agree with you, personally the smell of coffee would be disruptive while trying to sleep.

RitaANewYorker on February 1, 2014 at 11:02 pm
    • Rita, Ahh, get out! I'm not a coffee drinker, but I love the smell of coffee in the morning. Besides, my sense of smell doesn't work so good first thing. The smell of bacon frying, on the other hand . . .
      There is a door between the rooms, so no worries.
      I hope the coffee bar has a little fridge with it. I love my dr peppers in the morning.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 1, 2014 at 11:43 pm
  9. I hope that the window where the tub ( oval tub I hope) is high or has electric blinds.

Denise_D._ on January 31, 2014 at 4:57 pm
  10. The second floor design is terrific!

Lester3 on January 31, 2014 at 5:08 pm