Jan 31

After Floor Plan: The New Second Floor

Blog Cabin 2014: After Floor Plan

I know you all have been going back and forth on the blog about what our former widow’s walk will become in the renovation. To build and design manager Dylan Eastman, the space seemed destined for a master suite getaway.

You’ll notice that when you first come upstairs, you walk right into an open space. This is what you’re voting on right now until Tuesday. Do you want it to be a social bonus room or a private sanctuary/reading room? Within that room, we have plans for a beverage area — an evening bar to whip up spiked concoctions, or a coffee and tea bar that’s perfect for use day or night. What about the seating? Would built-in window seats suit the space best, or comfy lounge chairs?

Through the doorway you’re in the master bedroom. To your right there’s a spacious closet, of which you can choose which organizational plan you like best. Imagine looking up. Do you want the master bedroom to have a trimmed, flat ceiling or vaulted exposed trusses? Straight ahead into the bathroom, you can choose the style of the space, the light fixtures and the shower floor tile.

If I could live in this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin, I don’t think I’d ever leave the upstairs area. I mean, there’s even going to be a beverage area. Coffee, tea, wine, views of Lake Hamilton, books — I’m good for days.

What do you think of the second floor design? Talk to me.

Note: All specifications and designs are subject to change without notice.

• Posted at 11:45 am on January 1, 2014

1. Appreciate it for the A really fantastic details, In the event you need to get more details similar to this ensure that you go to the web site americanmobilityandscooters.com.

Max on February 22, 2014 at 6:57 am
  2. I love the new floor plan!! I believe I will need more closet space in that master suite. We can take some from the reading area.

Janice on February 24, 2014 at 6:54 pm
    • I really would prefer to have a walk-in closet in the area surrounding the stairs. It just seems like a big waste of space and it will be an area that is under utilized. I would have blow out the wall behind the existing closet and made a large walk-in, allow for a small two chair reading nook rather than wasting some much space on fad elements like a coffee station or a bar. I remember the days when your home was nothing if you didn't have a cigar humidor in the kitchen or den, I'm glad that fad element went the way of the DoDo Bird.

gaymac on February 25, 2014 at 1:18 pm
  3. I would really prefer a large walk-in closet in the area surrounding the stairs. I would blow out the wall behind the existing closet and create a large walk-in. I would allow enough space for two nice chairs and a table creating a reading nook. The fad design elements, a coffee station or bar, are just that, fad elements. Closet space and storage in a small home are much more important than what will be a large underutilized area.

gaymac on February 25, 2014 at 1:38 pm
  4. I like that we can choose an organizational plan for the closet, but as shown when you are voting, it seems that it would be great for one person only. It might end up bigger than what is shown on the screen, not sure. More storage and more closets are always welcomed by me.

debstur128 on February 25, 2014 at 3:02 pm
  5. I think the cam idea is great, the house looks so well constructed. I don't think you could have a house so well put together, with so many people's input, plus all the professionals working on it … how could it get any better tha that. Then, all the little surprises, like the pink flamingos, love them. The media room is turning out perfectly, in my opinion. I like the practicality of all the choices. Looks like there is a house next door, which I had never seen before, and it's also a nice looking house. This team is truly doing a great job. I'm enjoying the experience of going through some of the process of remodeling this home with everyone.

debstur128 on March 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm
  6. I'm just glad there 3 bed rooms the 2 much better

Karla on March 11, 2014 at 6:46 pm
  7. Is there going to be a chance to vote on the upstairs floor plan, they did allow blog votes on floor plans in previous Blog Cabins. I really don't think the space upstairs is being utilized well. I would like to see a choice for a large walk-in closet with organizer, and less reading area put to the vote. The master bedroom retreat as is has only one small folding door closet and that just isn't very functional in my opinion.

gaymac on March 17, 2014 at 1:15 pm
  8. I forgot to mention that, besides having MULTIPLE MIRRORS for a "360-degree view," it sure would be wonderful to have a SKYLIGHT in the middle of the master bathroom, too!

Susan Holliday on March 31, 2014 at 12:11 pm
    • The more light, the better, which they've maximized on. Do Skylights leak after a while? I don't know, I've never had one.

debstur128 on April 2, 2014 at 2:34 pm
  9. Great view of the lake.

CSW on April 8, 2014 at 12:56 pm