Jan 30

Get Details Before + During the Move

As you know from Sunday’s exclamatory blog post, this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin has uprooted from its 90-year-old spot in Dundee, Fla. to its brand-new lakeside lot in Winter Haven just eight miles down the road. I promised you I would share more updates and details about the move. Well, here they are!

Moving Blog Cabin 2014

First, dive into our pre-move photo gallery featuring notes from build and design manager Dylan Eastman. He shares details and challenges that went into getting our home ready for its cross-county journey and renovation.

SEE THE PHOTOS: PREPARING FOR THE MOVE >>

Then, flip through our move slideshow as the home rolls through Dundee to Winter Haven. Of course, we hit a few snags along the way, including scraping the edge off a power pole. Get all the details and drama, step-by-step.

SEE THE PHOTOS: MOVING THE HOME TO WINTER HAVEN >>

Welcome to your new waterfront spot, Blog Cabin!

• Posted at 1:22 pm on January 1, 2014

1. Awesome. pictures, thanks for sharing!

Daffie on January 31, 2014 at 7:18 am
  2. Good news everyone, despite the bad weather Mari and Ken have made it to the BC. YEAAAAAAAA!:D

540sam on January 31, 2014 at 7:33 am
    • Thanks for the update 540 Sam, are they moving in or just visiting. Is this Mari and Kens first visit to the house other than when they drove by? I still miss that home, it was so cozy. I have been thinking about the home lately with this cold weather and I hated the fact nobody was living there ie frozen pipes etc. I am sure they had the water off and pipes drained but I still was concerned. I wonder if we will see pictures of their visit. I am anxious to hear. Please keep us informed if you hear any thing, again thank you ????

Straybird on January 31, 2014 at 9:59 am
    • Moving in. Im sure Mari will give us many updates after they get a little setteled in.

540sam on February 1, 2014 at 5:21 am
    • So glad they made it at last. Wishing them all the very best in their new home and the next chapter in their lives. :)

Clive on January 31, 2014 at 10:50 am
  3. My aunt lives just down the street from the new site. Great site by the way. My 13 year old son and I were visiting from Atlanta when the new house arrived on Lake Hamilton. Our visit included a time of me sharing with my son the choices he would be facing as a teenager. During our time we went to a soup kitchen to feed the homeless in downtown Winter Haven to show that it's difficult to make bad choices we you are doing good. On the road by the blog cabin there is a bike sign which says, "Share the Road." Maybe this house could have a "Share the Life" theme where it is not a place simply to enjoy a new lifestyle, but to share a new lifestyle.

Scott on January 31, 2014 at 8:23 am
  4. This morning at 6:30 C time, there was a white cat taking a good long at the BC. Hope other animals and the cat don't get into places that are unsafe. I have seen them get into walls, mom cats have their kits, then the kits get Ito walls or air ducts grow to big then have to be cut out.

Denise on January 31, 2014 at 8:42 am
    • Denise,

Maybe the White Cat was looking for the 2 Blacks Cats missing from the BC.

MAOW on January 31, 2014 at 9:47 am
    • MAOW,

LOL……that was my first thought, too!

stlmom1 on January 31, 2014 at 11:48 am
    • Cute ! Enjoyed the chuckle.

Nan on February 1, 2014 at 1:37 pm
  5. Kayla or Dylan, what type of tree was newly planted before the house move? Orange, magnolia or another flowing tree. Oak would be nice too.

Denise_D._ on January 31, 2014 at 9:02 am
    • Looks like a magnolia tree just like the ones we planted when we were there. Takes time but great trees, shape and flowers! :-)

LRN on January 31, 2014 at 9:53 am
  6. Just checked the Camera.

Workers on sight at 10:22 EST in case anyone wants to watch. They placed a latter near the old Front Porch.

MAOW on January 31, 2014 at 11:24 am
  7. Sitting inside avoiding this winter mess they are calling maximus, wishing I was in Winter Haven right now!

suzturr on January 31, 2014 at 6:29 pm
  8. Thanks for sharing the photos and the info about the move. I'm glad the house and everyone made it safely. It's great that you try to save so many parts of the old bungalow and reuse them!! What furniture did you move with the house? Was that a teaser for us? DId the cat decoration move inside the house or in someones vehicle, it would make a great weathervane! The green on the basement door was beautifully weathered, I hope it's made into furniture or decor. I love the way the house is setting on the lot, great for views and greeting visitors.
    Lots of hard work!

Lia_M on January 31, 2014 at 10:09 pm
  9. Love the show! Just saw it today… Thanks for the your expertise in handling the tools to cut out framing. They didn't t teach any of this in design school!

8433 on February 1, 2014 at 12:22 pm
  10. The move looked easy. Using the old grid for something? window?wallhanging? same use? Said he wanted to incorporate but couldn't use the old stairs from the basement.Surprised not going to use for deck/porch or something else. Guess you can't use everything.Termites? Next home has to be in a termite free county/State!

cucumberHOH on February 1, 2014 at 8:33 pm