Jan 30

Get Details Before + During the Move

As you know from Sunday’s exclamatory blog post, this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin has uprooted from its 90-year-old spot in Dundee, Fla. to its brand-new lakeside lot in Winter Haven just eight miles down the road. I promised you I would share more updates and details about the move. Well, here they are!

Moving Blog Cabin 2014

First, dive into our pre-move photo gallery featuring notes from build and design manager Dylan Eastman. He shares details and challenges that went into getting our home ready for its cross-county journey and renovation.

SEE THE PHOTOS: PREPARING FOR THE MOVE >>

Then, flip through our move slideshow as the home rolls through Dundee to Winter Haven. Of course, we hit a few snags along the way, including scraping the edge off a power pole. Get all the details and drama, step-by-step.

SEE THE PHOTOS: MOVING THE HOME TO WINTER HAVEN >>

Welcome to your new waterfront spot, Blog Cabin!

• Posted at 1:22 pm on January 1, 2014

1. Fantastic pictures! This is truly an amazing process and only amazing people could share this with us! Did anyone notice on pic# 34, Dylan's comment? I was assuming that the new door was in the dining room area. It's not, it's in the bathroom area. I am on the edge of my seat trying to imagine the floor plan for the remodeling! And the poor black cats! I hope they are just lost in the move and not stolen…..that would be sad. I am also glad that the old will be finding it's way back into the cabin in some way. I too have very fond memories of "warming" my feet and hind end on the grate in the winter!

stlmom1 on January 30, 2014 at 4:13 pm
    • Stlmom1,

I was just about to type a post about the same photo.

Photo 34 of 37 on the "Moving Prep Photo's" basically states that the Front Door will be where the "Small Casement Windows" are (Which is on the non-Chimney side of the house now facing the lake.

Photo 18 or 19 on the "Moving Photo's" basically states that the Front Door will be to the right of the Chimney on the side facing the street.

In I reading something wrong? Any clarification would help. I am on the edge of my seat trying to imagine the floor plan as well.

MAOW on January 30, 2014 at 4:22 pm
    • It depends on how the 'front' is defined. There was s similar discussion last year. Last year Dylan described the 'front' as the side facing the lake, not the side facing the road as is convention in many areas. Maybe he's using the same description here.

Clive on January 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm
    • Yes, could be the same situation here.

I guess we will have to wait till the Girl Scouts come to the BC to sell cookies to know which side truly has the Front Door. Those Girl Scouts always come to the Front Door.

MAOW on January 30, 2014 at 4:52 pm
    • Mint Chocolate Chip cookies please.

Jay Michajluk on January 30, 2014 at 9:31 pm
    • You're right MAOW. The door will be to the right of the chimney like in the elevation photos.

Kayla@HGTV on January 30, 2014 at 4:53 pm
    • Kayla,

Great. Thanks for the clarification.

MAOW on January 30, 2014 at 4:54 pm
    • Did they keep the chimney just for the bricks? The picture that was taken looking down in side the stack showed many years of wear.

Jay Michajluk on January 30, 2014 at 9:34 pm
    • Dylan mentioned that this was the first of the BC's where they could keep the chimney. The bricks were in good shape so they dismantled the chimney above the roof line and will rebuild it using the original bricks. :) My guess is that they will replace the old hearth and firebox with something more practical and efficient. Either a gas or (my preference) a wood pellet insert would be great.

Clive on January 30, 2014 at 10:32 pm
    • Best to wait when they put out a final floor plan, with all our inputs they hopefully may add one or more of our suggestions.

Denise_D._ on January 30, 2014 at 5:56 pm
  2. Those pictures are great. Loved the one of the worker pushing on the electrical pole.

I hope that a photo gallery is placed in one of the social rooms of the house showing each and every photo. What a great conservation piece they would be.

MAOW on January 30, 2014 at 4:26 pm
    • Looks like "someone" scuffed up that pole pretty good.

Jay Michajluk on January 30, 2014 at 9:38 pm
    • I think it would be great TV if they sent Grundy and the team to "Fix" the pole that was "Scuffed" during the move.

MAOW on January 30, 2014 at 9:55 pm
  3. Absolutely amazing. So much to see, to review, and to comment on!

DBCoop on January 30, 2014 at 4:38 pm
    • Happy Thursday, DBCoop! :D

Kayla@HGTV on January 30, 2014 at 4:44 pm
  4. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Brought tears to my eyes remembering how much I love and miss the area in Polk County. Dylan and company thanks for absolutely making my day! ;-)

LRN on January 30, 2014 at 4:40 pm
  5. It will be interesting to see what they do next, now that the home has moved.

dreamn_again on January 30, 2014 at 5:20 pm
  6. It's hard to imagine the degree of preparation that goes into moving a home across the street or even more challenging to a new location miles away. Good thing it's not my responsibility and that serious and highly experienced professionals are on the team. All I'd need is one senior moment, a forgotten detail, and that could spell disaster!

The newspaper fragment from 1939 with the storyline titled "Unsung Heroes" made me think of Dylan Eastman and the entire moving crew. They all deserve a long round of applause and well-deserved appreciation for getting "our" Blog Cabin successfully settled onto her new lakeside location.

As for the two missing black cats, I suppose they'd made many good friends in the neighborhood over the years and couldn't bring themselves to go along for the ride. If only they knew what they're going to be missing!

Then there's that pair of life jackets hanging by the basement door. Hopefully they won't have to be used anytime during the Blog Cabin's new lakeside lifetime, unless it's while water skiing on Lake Hamilton. (Come to think of it, do they allow water skiing on Lake Hamilton, or is the risk of an unfriendly gater too much of a deterrent?)

DBCoop on January 30, 2014 at 5:26 pm
    • Coop, the Cabin Cam shows the lake has a good slope to it. that should make it excellent for skiing. ;)

Clive on January 30, 2014 at 7:53 pm
    • Okay, driver, thumbs up — I'm ready for a spin around the lake. Crank her up, pedal to the metal, hit the throttle — and let's get this Blog Cabin show off the road and onto a solid new foundation.

DBCoop on January 30, 2014 at 9:13 pm
    • can I post? LOL I guess not really.

minitoni on January 31, 2014 at 12:05 am
    • LOL

AnniesOwn on January 31, 2014 at 10:54 am
    • Dylan is the best! :) Moving a house is such hard work. So happy to see her safely arrive!

Laurie

Laurie_March on January 31, 2014 at 12:53 pm
  7. While I still have a few minutes to add another quick thought to this latest and greatest blog thread from Kayla, (I have to get ready for my annual "Spa Resort Tour" in Desert Hot Springs this afternoon) this Blog Cabin move could be the inspiration for a whole new DIY TV series, along the lines of HGTV's highly popular "Love It or List It." In this case, the series would be called "Move It or Lose It!"

DBCoop on January 30, 2014 at 5:40 pm
    • or in keeping with DYI's favorite word, "CRASH IT, OR KEEP IT" (Rebuild or Remodel).

MAOW on January 30, 2014 at 5:50 pm
    • I like "Move It or Lose It" sounds like a 1st sargent I once had. He did not let a little rain stop him.

Jay Michajluk on January 30, 2014 at 9:44 pm
  8. Thank you Kayla and Dylan! Whew! What a gigantic job that was! So cool to watch all the move like I were there and peeking around every corner and turn! Scareeey about those power lines! I'm glad all is well and everyone is okay, with the exception of the one telephone pole! Yiiikkkes an ooooops!^_^

amberPA on January 30, 2014 at 5:54 pm
  9. Oh yeah…..thank you to all the officials, movers, power line guys, and well…..everyone involved in the move. Must have been an amazing thing behold and probably hear as well. WELL DONE!

amberPA on January 30, 2014 at 5:58 pm
    • Ooooop! Skipped a word (to behold). Not sure what is wrong with my typing!;)

amberPA on January 30, 2014 at 6:02 pm
  10. Wonderful moving story! Thank you so much for sharing the trip with us. The pictures are awesome and the view from the top of the lot spectacular. For some reason it looks like it already belongs.

grammagail on January 30, 2014 at 6:49 pm