Jan 27

Cabin Cam is Live!

Blog Cabin 2014 Cabin Cam

Can you all really handle any more exciting Blog Cabin news this week?! I’m here to let you know that our Cabin Cam is back. Come back daily after sunrise (Eastern time) to see the latest construction progress on our dear home. It’s going to be a fun ride.

Go to Cabin Cam Now >>

• Posted at 3:49 pm on January 1, 2014

1. I am losing on my WINDOW SEAT vote. boo. Most of my other votes are winning oops except I do not want vaulted ceiling. I do not want to clean them and I would like a crawl space for storage instead.While designing Please, Please put a window at the kitchen sink. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen and love looking out the window while washing dishes and cooking.

Love cabin on January 29, 2014 at 12:40 pm
  2. Looking at that little red building I'm thinking it's one of the well housing covers. There are two wells on the plot, shallow & deep. Not sure which one this is. The electrical hook-up for the plot is just beyond it against the fence line. The power line for the Cabin Cam is clearly visible. ;)

Clive on January 29, 2014 at 1:06 pm
  3. I see the egret is back today just to the right of the 'Coldwell Banker' sign. Must be good hunting down there. ;)

Clive on January 29, 2014 at 1:10 pm
    • Now several egrets and ducks. Great wildlife show. :)

Clive on January 29, 2014 at 1:15 pm
    • I've been enjoying it, too, Clive. Got a couple of pictures and think I saw some green herons.

grammagail on January 29, 2014 at 1:20 pm
    • Wasn't sure about them but quite posible. :)

Clive on January 29, 2014 at 1:34 pm
    • When we were in Port Charlotte there was an egret and a green heron that hung out together. Wherever one went so went the other. We used to joke about them either being a mixed up couple or one knew where all the frogs and fish were and the other took advantage thus saving a great deal of hunting time.

grammagail on January 29, 2014 at 4:08 pm
  4. Hi all….well it's great to see the BC at her new home. :0) I was looking around the lot with the cabin cam today and loved the views of the lake…quite beautiful. I was a little surprised at how narrow the lot looked from the camera view and how close the neighboring home was (right there). I guess when looking at the pics prior I was thinking the lot was larger with barely seeing the neighbors (like BC 2013) and all those great big trees with Spanish moss all around where the cabin is going to be. So where are all those great trees seen in the pictures. Are they further down the lot? The views are beautiful, I guess I just had built a different look in my head, but still a beautiful lot. Another big positive I see is fencing down both sides of the lot already. I have four rescue dogs so I'm thinking "pre-made play area". LOL

Paradise68 on January 29, 2014 at 2:19 pm
    • The camera lens distorts the image perspective a lot. The plot is 5.23 acres. It's 999 ft from the highway line to the riparian line (a little back from the lake edge) and 164 ft wide on the riparian line (the narrowest point).

All the houses are situated on a rise in the land that marks the edge of the flood plain of the lake. The plot is somewhat narrow at that point, as are the neighbors plots, so the houses seem closer. They're still maybe 200 ft appart.

All the big trees seen in the photos & videos of the plot are behind the house from the camera, as is the Quonsett hut with the tractor inside. Hope this helps. :)

Clive on January 29, 2014 at 2:38 pm
    • Thanks for the info Clive. That does help a lot with being able to visualize the area better and 200 ft is just fine on space. I thought I remembered the plot being about 5 acres so it was confusing. Still love the plot and I really don't mind neighbors that close. I do like to "visit over the fence" with my neighbors. Do it here all the time. LOL. Still wish some of those big majestic trees with the romantic moss were closer to the home for accents.

paradise68 on January 31, 2014 at 4:20 pm
  5. Well, we are down 5% on our Window Seats !! I vote & vote, but it keeps going down !! So, I guess the majority will get those Comfy Chairs !! At least there is still a 1% chance in the Social Bonus Room !! The DIY Team will make all of us ooh & aah with the finished B.C. !!

gremol on January 29, 2014 at 2:52 pm
    • Sorry Gremol…I'm voting for the private sanctuary. It looks from the voting that there is already a media room in the future voting so I'd prefer a private sanctuary (just for me) just outside my master bedroom. I'd rather have the quiet time with the great views while a sipped a cup of coffee in the morning or watch the sunset with a glass of wine and a good book. ;0)

paradise68 on January 31, 2014 at 4:27 pm
  6. Weather report from gremol in Sunny Florida —- we have basically 'closed down' due to low temps, sleet, snow, icy roads, and cold that we are not prepared for !! At my house — cloudy skies, sleet, icicles hanging from eaves, ice on ground, 27 degrees (1:00 p.m.), schools closed, bridges closed, driving discouraged due to dangerous road conditions !! In other words, this has been the coldest winter we have seen in 25 years !! Folks around here don't know what to do !! More of same tomorrow !!!

gremol on January 29, 2014 at 3:02 pm
    • Did you see the mess around Atlanta, GA?
      It has been the worst winter in 30 years up here for ice and cold. Hope you warm up soon.

grammagail on January 29, 2014 at 4:15 pm
    • Yes, I saw that Atlanta is 'closed' too !! My Sis-in-law- lives there, have not talked to her yet !!

gremol on January 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm
    • Just keep repeating, "It is only 50 days till Spring, It is only 50 days till Spring".

MAOW on January 29, 2014 at 4:29 pm
    • oh my….was not aware it hit florida…ah you in northwest florida i think…..my…and another storm now predicted for West, Maximus….hope it brings some much needed water to California…..

twoTERRIERs on January 29, 2014 at 4:32 pm
    • Yes, N.W. Fl.; we have had too much 'water' too, it rained every day in July to mid-June !! We had lots of flooding, now the water table is still very high !!

gremol on January 29, 2014 at 6:37 pm
    • Stay warm and wait for Saturday! Sorry about the icy weather. Will be bad for citrus and other crops too. But stay warm Gremol! mini

dollhouse09 on January 30, 2014 at 10:49 am
    • The forecast for Saturday is a normal sunny and 70 degrees !!

gremol on January 29, 2014 at 6:32 pm
    • We didn't get up to 27 degrees to day, but that's warm for us this time of year. Schools never close, even when we get 2 feet of snow. But I bet it is hard for you all.

vicki_in_Utah on January 29, 2014 at 8:10 pm
    • Well, it was 9 degrees this morning in B'ham, and by the way, we had the same mess on the roadways as Atlanta. People were going into the woods to get firewood to burn on the highways just to stay warm. We have wolves in these woods. My husband saw 6 gray wolves on the way home from work last summer. A few days later saw a dead bobcat on the side of the road. We are considered in the county; however, areas that he saw the wild animals was very populated. Stay warm and have a blessed day!

grswla on January 30, 2014 at 10:08 am
    • Don't worry, the thaw is on it's way. This morn. in central WI we're up to the mid 20's. (for today at least). Saw several people going to work wearing shorts, even though there's 2 ft of snow still. I guess being nearly 40 degrees warmer than two days back qualifies for a 'heatwave' alert. ^_^

Hope everyone has been rescued from their cars by now. Joking aside I know how hard this weather is for the South. How can you prepare for a 'once in a lifetime' event like this? o.0

Clive on January 30, 2014 at 10:56 am
    • UPDATE. Only 49 days till Spring. Only 49 days till Spring.

MAOW on January 30, 2014 at 10:29 am
  7. Has anyone noticed the beautiful fence across the neighbor's front yard? That would look lovely continued across blog cabin land and discourage gators and some other wildlife from exploring closer to the house.

grammagail on January 29, 2014 at 4:12 pm
    • Maybe it's to keep their wildlife in. ;) A number of properties along the road have horses.

Clive on January 29, 2014 at 4:32 pm
    • LOL that, too! It did cross my mind that it would be good for kids and errant partyers.

grammagail on January 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm
    • That fence in some places doesn't go low enough in places to keep gators out, when they are real small they also would get though easy.

Denise_D_ on January 30, 2014 at 7:47 am
    • The real small ones don't bother me. It's the 6 footers that give me pause! Used to watch them come up and sun themselves in the neighbor's yard across the street in Port Charlotte. She had waterfront on an inlet off Charlotte Harbor. Once I learned they only run fast in a straight line and you should zig zag to get out of their way I felt better. Right angle turns are not their thing.

grammagail on January 30, 2014 at 9:08 am
  8. If you line up with the Caldwell banker sign and look directly across the lake there is a tower. Does anyone know what it is. There is another off to the right from that one. Are they cell towers, part of LEGOLAND, or another attraction?

grammagail on January 29, 2014 at 6:50 pm
    • I'm not sure what the towers are, but they've been there my whole life. The only thing around them is a cow pasture :)
      Legoland is more to the southwest from the BC.

GatorGirl02 on January 29, 2014 at 10:37 pm
    • I wonder if Grundy will make something for the BC out of LEGO's?

MAOW on January 29, 2014 at 10:53 pm
    • Hehe, cool idea.

grammagail on January 30, 2014 at 9:10 am
    • What do you think Grundy would make from the LEGO's? A lamp? Picture frame? A cookie jar (I love cookies)?

MAOW on January 30, 2014 at 9:21 am
    • My son is 16 and still loves Legos that would be so cool in the house

Danielle on February 1, 2014 at 6:52 pm
    • If he does I'm there. You just can not have enough LEGO's when you have thee grandsons under 10 and their pappy has been into LEGO's all his life. Member of the LEGO club for years.

Jay Michajluk on January 30, 2014 at 11:03 am
    • Jay,

With all that LEGO experience I am sure you can suggest a item or 20 for Grundy to make for the BC.

MAOW on January 30, 2014 at 11:10 am
    • Thanks. If they are in a pasture then they are probably some sort of communication tower. Thanks for the orientation to LEGOLAND as well. It is nice to get an idea of where things are.

grammagail on January 30, 2014 at 9:13 am
  9. There are headlights at the cabin. It is very dark but at least two vehicles with headlights are there.

grammagail on January 29, 2014 at 7:57 pm
    • My mistake!!! They are lights from the neighbors garage and house. The cabin cam was out of focus but finally came into focus and you could see it was across the wall or hedge. Hope I didn't upset anyone!

grammagail on January 29, 2014 at 8:02 pm
    • I haven't seen anyone at the cabin since it arrived.

webwoman on January 29, 2014 at 9:06 pm
    • You missed them building the cribbing and pulling the house moving trailer out from underneath. :)

Clive on January 29, 2014 at 10:27 pm
    • The cold might have kept them away.

Denise_D._ on January 30, 2014 at 7:49 am
  10. I'm so glad the cabin cam is up and running and will check it every morning for updates! The basic cabin has great potential and I'm excited to see what the team does with it to restore it to its former glory and adding porches and restoring the upper level. This will be great. Thanks for letting us know it was up and running Kayla.

minitoni on January 29, 2014 at 8:50 pm