Jan 27

Cabin Cam is Live!

Blog Cabin 2014 Cabin Cam

Can you all really handle any more exciting Blog Cabin news this week?! I’m here to let you know that our Cabin Cam is back. Come back daily after sunrise (Eastern time) to see the latest construction progress on our dear home. It’s going to be a fun ride.

Go to Cabin Cam Now >>

• Posted at 3:49 pm on January 1, 2014

1. Holey Cow! I can not even imagine living in those areas so many of you bloggers live in. I couldn't even move with temps so low and I am serious.I live here in Florida about two hours south of the blog cabin and I was complaining when temps went from 70 degrees down to the 50's!. My arthritis , among other things, makes getting around a challenge, but wow! I feel ashamed for complaining especially since you guys are living in ice bergs!! God bless you all and please keep warm.;)<3

Sheri McNamara on January 28, 2014 at 11:14 am
    • Hi Sheri
      Earlier in January during the first Polar Vortex in Maine we were -23 degrees at our house without factoring in the windchill!! That's why with age comes wisdom and we become "snow-birds" or even better permanent residents of your sunny Florida! ;-)

LRN on January 28, 2014 at 1:45 pm
    • Wow, can't say that I blame anyone for coming down here, LRN. It can get so hot down here sometimes and that is miserable also.I guess that heat can signal that it is time to go north. LOL It can be difficult to find a happy medium.:D<3 I believe that is where Winter Haven fits in the picture. It truly is a beautiful area. I can not wait until my home is finished( the Blog Cabin.) Well I can wish for that and I certainly voting for it.;)<3 I gotta keep a sense of humor. Happy day to you LRN and please keep warm(on a serious note)

Sheri McNamara on January 28, 2014 at 2:23 pm
    • You have a great day too! ;-)

LRN on January 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm
  2. Thank you for Cabin-Cam. I see that it is 60 degrees. If I could, that is enough reason to leave today and help with the build. The warm weather would be payment enough seeing that today it is 9 degrees with a high to be around 14.

Jay Michajluk on January 28, 2014 at 11:14 am
  3. Live activity on the cabin cam! Workers on site! At least two.

grammagail on January 28, 2014 at 11:36 am
    • They are "measuring the marigolds" this morning. They heard you Ralebird!

grammagail on January 28, 2014 at 11:47 am
  4. Wow! We've really cut the budget on this one… A trailer home really

Marie on January 28, 2014 at 11:42 am
    • Granted, it doesn't look like much now but wait till the "DYI WIZARDS" are done.

According to Zillow, the lot was 370k. Add to that the cost of the move and the cost of bringing the house up to the local requirements the winner will need to find a "Treasure Chest" to pay taxes.

MAOW on January 28, 2014 at 11:58 am
    • Was there anything about the Dundee property. Wonder what the history has been. When I Googled it the picture was dated 2011 and I could see someone working in the back yard. Did not find any info on Zillow about the sale of the property. I did watch program on DIY some time ago about the girl that does renovations of old home that were let go. I think she got the home for a $1.00. She had to agree to make a whole list of repairs to the home to keep it from being destroyed. She did not move it but it had to be raised so the old foundation could be removed and a new basement blocked up. So I hope DIY got this one for a very good price.

Jay Michajluk on January 29, 2014 at 4:14 pm
    • About $80,000. I wonder what they will do with the vacant lot now there's just a dilapidated single garage on it? Lot size was very small, less than 1/4 acre.

DannyF on January 29, 2014 at 4:31 pm
    • So little faith! I can't wait to see how they transform this shell, I know they will do a great job!

Slps60 on January 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm
    • Marie, have patience and I promise you will be favorably impressed. The little house they have just moved onto this beautiful Lake Hamilton lot will be totally transformed by the architect, builders, contractors, and designers, all of whom have incredible talent. For an idea of the work they did on previous houses, click on "Past Homes" at the top of the page. Also keep watching here for the next few months. I think you will love what you see, and have lots of fun watching the whole process!

SID on January 28, 2014 at 4:21 pm
    • The blueprint gives a larger dimension. The tour of the original home had some large rooms. The home does look tiny sitting there on the lot..

cucumberHOH on January 29, 2014 at 11:14 am
    • Marie
      Be patient-I agree it does look like a trailer now-but they will transform this into a beautiful home. It will be magical! Take my word:>)

ruffybc on January 29, 2014 at 11:19 am
  5. I hope the Blog Cabin neighbors are aware of the extraordinary transformation in store for this weather-worn 1920's home or they might be very concerned about this smaller, in need of serious repair old bungalow being dropped onto the landscape.

You'd think by now that everyone in Polk County, and particularly in Winter Haven, is fast becoming a DIY Blog Cabin fan if they weren't already.

DBCoop on January 28, 2014 at 11:52 am
    • Yeah Coop it could be a bit scary for the neighbors seeing the battered and banged up home at this stage.

We will just have to do our jobs as bloggers and make them believe in the magic of a DIY transformation.
      Recipe for a wonderful tropical Bungalow renovation:
      A bit of intelligent construction
      A dash of great design
      Stir together the best home improvement products money can buy
      Fold together with the desires of bloggers
      Simmer with talented carpenters, electricians, plumbers, painters and landscapers
      Cook for several months…..and serve to one lucky winner <3
      No one should fear that DIY and the talented crews that will work on this home aren't going to "cook" up a wonderful home!!

Mel on January 28, 2014 at 12:15 pm
    • Sounds like a healthy recipe to me, Mel, guaranteed to please the most demanding appetites. Now, just whip up two delicious servings of dessert — five attractively landscaped acres and a lovely lake view — and serve to rave reviews. Heaven can wait, this sounds like paradise!

And on the topic of all the hard work and careful thought that goes into each Blog Cabin, I'm reminded of my own interpretation of the DIY (Do It Yourself) acronym. For me, it's more often than not DYI … Do Yourself In!

DBCoop on January 28, 2014 at 5:01 pm
    • Thanks, DB, for dessert@! Tasty for the suspicious neighbors of our BC.

Wind Chime Girl on January 28, 2014 at 10:37 pm
    • Mel, what a great and sure recipe! Thank you. And I hope the surrounding neighbors get a whiff of your post! Thank you.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 28, 2014 at 10:36 pm
    • Thanks WCG, of course us bloggers are an important "ingredient" in the BC recipe <3

Mel on January 29, 2014 at 9:35 am
    • I have no doubt this caterpillar will turn into a butterfly soon.

Jay Michajluk on January 29, 2014 at 4:23 pm
    • I think the permitting process would have included public hearings with preliminary floor plans and other pertinent details like sewer and water systems all drawn to local codes. DIY is no stranger to such things I am sure. I bet they even talked to the neighbors ahead of time to see if they had any issues and let them know about the whole project including the cabin cam. They could go in and see the 2013 project to see what was coming.

grammagail on January 28, 2014 at 1:59 pm
    • There doesn't seem to be that many people in the area that even know about the show, much less the fact that the house is our area (I live across the lake from the BC property). I can't speak for any of the neighbors, but I'm not sure if they have reaaly talked to anyone locally. I know for a fact that the City Manager in Dundee didn't know that the house was being moved Sunday.

GatorGirl02 on January 28, 2014 at 11:52 pm
    • That would be disconcerting to wake up in the morning and think that the Blog Cabin had gone missing. Thankfully, it was soon found resting comfortably right where it was supposed be, at it's lakeside location in Winter Haven!

DBCoop on January 29, 2014 at 11:28 am
    • Too funny Coop, I hope Terri appreciates your jokes<3

Mel on January 29, 2014 at 12:17 pm
    • I picture the neighbors as Gladys and Abner Kravitz from Bewitched. I can just hear it now. "Abner! Abner! Come see! I told you there was something strange going on across the street. Now that house is gone. GONE, I tell you!" Abner replies, "Sure, Gladys. Whatever you say." A few months later, the Kravtizes go across town to visit a friend who has a lake house. Gladys glances out the window and does one of her famous double-takes. "Abner! Abner! Come quick! It's that house! It disappeared from our neighborhood, and now here it is, neat as you please. I'm telling you, there is something fishy about that house. Abner! Are you listening to me?" Abner replies, "Yes dear."

TwoCorgis on January 29, 2014 at 6:26 pm
    • lol TwoCorgis, i can hear it now. .

vicki_in_Utah on January 29, 2014 at 8:00 pm
    • I am sure the neighbors were and are aware of the initial plans for a re-conditioned home to to brought in and built. But to wake up one morning and see the tattered building from across the county must of been a surprise to some degree, if anything a realization that neighbors are coming 6 months down the road or so. As BC has always done was take a used gem and bring it to noteworthy standards and have a public show piece bring a little limelight to your neighborhood, well its just gonna happen! As with ANY build, new or fixer upper, there is traffic, construction crews, trucks delivering all sorts, and the mess to look at. I saw from last years BC the field/work-site was clean and tidy almost all the time given so many contractors. I am sure the same care will be given to this years and to make any close onlookers happy.

kmh on January 30, 2014 at 1:11 pm
  6. Although some colder temps are forecast even for a normally temperate Florida, this little poem speaks to the bitter cold that so many folks are enduring right now in much of the country. (I originally posted this on the Dream Home blog with an added stanza for the Lake Tahoe beauty, but here, just a nod to the chill is enough.)

A Loving Nod To Winter's Pristine Beauty

It's winter now in many states and the gentle breezes blow
    But truth be told, it really howls and the temp's twenty-five below
    Oh how I love the crisp cool air when the snow's up to my waist
    I take a breath of frosty air and my nose gets ice-encased
    Yes the weather here's delightful, so I plan to stick around
    I'd never leave, because you see, I'm frozen to the ground.

DBCoop on January 28, 2014 at 12:06 pm
    • I know what you mean. When going out to get the paper the other morning I stepped into some slush next to the side door of our house. When I got to the paper box I opened it and paused to read the headlines. Much to my surprise when I turn to go back to the warmth of the house my shoes were almost frozen to the blacktop.

Jay Michajluk on January 28, 2014 at 8:31 pm
    • Excellent!

Wind Chime Girl on January 28, 2014 at 10:38 pm
    • ^_^

Clive on January 28, 2014 at 10:41 pm
    • Love it Coop! :-)

jchristie24 on January 29, 2014 at 12:46 am
    • This is great, could not have said it any better, but listen…Yesterday when I went out to get the morning paper, opened the pedestrian door of our garage (South side of the house) I stepped into some ice slush then walked down driveway to get paper from the box. Stood there to read the headlines and what I had on my feet did freeze to the road. I full heartedly agree with the pome

Jay Michajluk on January 29, 2014 at 4:35 pm
  7. Look at this home site! It is so exciting to see what will be the end product. Go on Zillow and see the surrounding homes and what they are going for. Nice choice DIY/Blog Cabin. I have been on the Webcam and only see one section of the house, what happened to the other half?

Slps60 on January 28, 2014 at 12:14 pm
    • What is address?

bernie on January 28, 2014 at 4:34 pm
    • DIY has requested that no addresses be posted. The same request went into the local newspaper in Winter Haven. DIY has deleted posts containing the address.

Clive on January 28, 2014 at 4:42 pm
    • Maybe there is no other half until the finished project.

cucumberHOH on January 29, 2014 at 11:16 am
  8. Wow, what a feat to move the Blog Cabin! And, what a beautiful new location! High five!

memanbepa on January 28, 2014 at 12:25 pm
  9. Unless the neighbors have followed previous Blog Cabins, they have to be experiencing a significant pucker factor right now….."Oh no! A double-wide is going in next door". The house to the south looks pretty nice. I think someone posted earlier (back in December?) that there are deed restrictions dictating a minimum square footage significantly larger than the box now sitting on the lot. If that is the case, the neighbors need not worry as the final structure will be big enough (and nice enough) that it won't be hurting their property values.

RLDorf on January 28, 2014 at 1:07 pm
    • I'll guess the finished BC will be between 2500 – 3000 sq ft by the time the enlarged upstairs and significantly expanded lower floor is rebuilt. Depending on how it was measured (with or without enclosed porches) the original house was between 1800 – 2000 sq ft. :)

Clive on January 28, 2014 at 1:25 pm
    • 2500 – 3000 sq. ft. Should keep both the neighbors and the new residents happy.

RLDorf on January 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm
  10. What a beautiful lot, thank you cabin cam…….I can already smell the oranges…..can't wait to see this lovely home as it is transformed into a DIY palace…

twoTERRIERs on January 28, 2014 at 1:44 pm
    • The lawn needs seeding.

cucumberHOH on January 29, 2014 at 11:16 am