Well, technically we’ve moved! Yay! Today, our beautiful 1924 bungalow left Dundee, Fla. at 7 a.m. and pulled onto its lakefront Winter Haven lot around 6 p.m. We have lots of pictures, videos and details to share in the days to come. But in the meantime, we want you to understand some of the surface-level challenges that went into moving our 2014 DIY Network Blog Cabin.
Although the big trek across Polk County was originally scheduled for a weekend in December 2013, minor hiccups and delays kept pushing our date out even further. You should have heard the Blog Cabin team on the conference call when we had our confirmed move date locked in. Cheers and sighs of relief all around.
Project manager Dylan Eastman shares some of the planning and challenges that went into moving Blog Cabin 2014:
We checked three different routes to the new Winter Haven lakeside lot and even considered using a barge. Ultimately, the route with the least obstacles and inconveniences to the public was chosen. However, the last mile of the (almost) eight mile trip will be the worst, no matter which direction we come from.
Since most of this area has overhead power lines, keeping the house completely intact would require moving six power poles and lifting about 40 lines. The cable and telephone companies would have to be part of the move if moving lines were involved. This was all possible, but extremely costly and an inconvenience to the public who would temporarily lose service during the drive. So, we chose to move the home in pieces.
The house’s main conflict was the width and height. In width, the jogs at the sunroom and dining room, as well as the overhangs, were the limiting factors. Because the sunroom had been a porch filled with windows and paneling, we would already need to reframe those walls to make it truly part of the conditioned space. Since the roof and overhangs were not up to code, those would have to be rebuilt or augmented during the construction phase.
On the second floor, similar issues with the roof structure existed, as well as considerable water and termite damage. In the new design, we had planned on opening up the first floor and extending the second floor, so retrofitting joists and adding beams was already planned. Perhaps the second floor is the most iconic part about this house, and we lamented over the decision of removal. But, ultimately, it made for a more responsive and efficient move.
We are saving items as we can, moving them to the new location and rebuilding the house in its original character. The core of this home remains unchanged. To the casual observer, the temporary removal and rebuilding of these items would not be evident.
Check back tomorrow for more updates and details about the move. Talk to you then.