Jan 21

People’s Choice Round Two: Vote for Master Suite Features

Blog Cabin 2014 People's Choice Vote

We’ve arrived at round two of our People’s Choice vote for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin. Help us select features for the upstairs master suite, from the closet design plan and headboard to the bathroom style and light fixtures. You have nine decisions to make this round. Share your picks with fellow fans (and me!) in the comments below.

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 10:27 am on January 1, 2014

1. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it would be easier to make choices about how the upper room should be used if I knew what the revised floor plan will be like. How I'd prefer to use "optional" space depends on how the other spaces are defined. I hope the new floor plan is released before this round of voting progresses very far.

RLDorf on January 21, 2014 at 4:32 pm
    • That is a really good point! We don't know where the stairs are going to be and how they are going to connect to the rest of the home. Any help?

stlmom1 on January 21, 2014 at 8:49 pm
    • That's what I asked for a few threads ago. We need to see the floor plan before the voting starts. But i guess we didn't get them.

vicki_in_Utah on January 21, 2014 at 10:09 pm
    • I am sure final revisions were completed many, many months ago. I too need to view plans to vote with certainty the "flavor" and traffic patterns. However, as I expressed in another blog comment, why are we always splitting up the entertainment and noise throughout the house or at the very least, trying to have parties upstairs in a rec room, tv room, or family room. What happened to the calm upstairs for privacy or an area downstairs that also has privacy. The current dream home has the family entertainment room OVER TOP of the master bedroom AND in another wing of the house. What sense is that? Is there something that this east coaster transplant to the desert is missing?

kmh on January 22, 2014 at 7:49 pm
  2. So may selections and I'm confused. Are we not voting on the Master Bedroom? Why would you want a bar in the bedroom – unless you had a major drinking problem.

We are voting on the Master, aren't we?

Eugenia27 on January 21, 2014 at 4:44 pm
    • The bar choices are for the upstairs room.

RLDorf on January 21, 2014 at 4:48 pm
    • It is confusing, but I think the bonus room is upstairs with the master. In which case, I'm voting for the quiet retreat. I'd rather not have a game room right next to the master, with all the noise and people using the master bathroom.

Addy243 on January 21, 2014 at 5:36 pm
    • yes, yes please…

twoTERRIERs on January 21, 2014 at 5:40 pm
    • Defiantly the quite retreat. That area would be perfect to watch a sunrise or sunset and just enjoy nature.

Eugenia27 on January 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm
  3. According to the post above it states: "Help us select features for the upstairs master suite"

If the master suite is upstairs then the bar and the entertainment area are going to be IN the master suite.

Personally, I don't want a bunch of people hanging out and partying in my bedroom.
    That area will be my sanctuary.

Eugenia27 on January 21, 2014 at 4:51 pm
    • Without a revised floor plan, we have little idea how big the upstairs room will be – could their be enough space to accommodate the Master BR and a "Private Sanctuary/Social Bonus Room"? Based on the renderings used for the siding choices, that might be difficult. Based on the exterior/siding drawings and the current vote for a possible vaulted ceiling in the Master BR, I'm betting that the Master BR is on the first floor at the end opposite the chimney end.

RLDorf on January 21, 2014 at 5:03 pm
    • Then why would it say: “Upstairs Master Suite” if it is going to be downstairs?Sent from my iPhone

Eugenia27 on January 21, 2014 at 5:23 pm
    • That's pretty much what I was thinking<G>.

nanwes on January 21, 2014 at 5:41 pm
    • I read the description of what we are voting for in the same way you did. I am assuming that the space "up top" will be an owner's retreat, and I'm voting my preferences as such; no game room, that should be down in the common spaces on the main floor. I am assuming that there can be a beverage service on the main level, so that the beverage area above is just for the use in the "sanctuary", and need not be large.

DGustaf on January 26, 2014 at 2:06 pm
    • It only needs to be large enough for my morning coffee. OK add an extra cup for the hubby.

Eugenia27 on January 26, 2014 at 7:49 pm
  4. Wow! I am so happy to see that the widow's walk is going to be the master suite! How lovely to have the views and comforts of a nice master all in one! I definitely think the vaulted ceilings are the best way to go since I simply would love them in any home. And for the shower, I have always dreamed of having a spa like environment with beautiful tiles and a seat to sit on. Would also love a soaker tub too! Since I do not drink coffee, tea or any alcoholic beverages, it would be nice just to have a place for any kind of beverage, not necessarily for a specific beverage. This room is going to be spectacular no matter what vote wins! I know the Crashers will do an awesome job making an oasis fit for a queen (me)! Thanks Kayla, Dylan and DIY for letting us have a hand in deciding so many of the design elements in the BC 2014! :p

jchristie24 on January 21, 2014 at 5:02 pm
    • I don't think it (Widow's Walk) is going to be the Master Suite. Look at the choices associated with "Upstairs Room Usage". Unless the master BR is really small, I can't see how it could be combined with the choices provided for the Upstairs Room Usage.

RLDorf on January 21, 2014 at 5:06 pm
    • RL, I was assuming the diagram from the siding choices was the new design for the BC. It looks like the widow' s walk was actually made bigger. I guess I am confused as to where the master would be and what DIY is calling the "upstairs"! The tab we are voting on says master suite! :S

jchristie24 on January 21, 2014 at 5:14 pm
    • I agree with the basis for your assumptions, however the drawings make that upstairs area look very narrow. The title for this week's vote and the choices involved certainly imply that both the Master BR Suite and the Upstairs Room Use choices are up there. I also realize that the drawing may be misleading w/o any dimensions to associate with it. Maybe I should be giving them the benefit of my doubt and assume that both rooms are going up there. Sure wish I had a floor plan to go by. Even with the expanded upper room shown in the drawings, I have trouble imagining a decent sized Master BR/Spa type Master Bath, and a bonus room fitting up there. I'd be delighted if there is room for that.

RLDorf on January 21, 2014 at 5:25 pm
    • I think it may look narrow because it has been lengthened so much, Moving the house may have required taking off the old structure completely so creating a new one that is both longer and wider would allow for a master suite to include a bedroom, bathroom and sitting or bonus area. It would also allow for the open ceiling in the other choice.

Ralebird on January 22, 2014 at 4:05 am
    • I agree. It's either going to be a quiet sanctuary for reading, crafting etc. or a rumpus room for kids to play. The Master suite will be on the 1st Floor.

Clive on January 21, 2014 at 5:21 pm
    • Hmmmm, I don't think so…

"Help us select features for the upstairs master suite…"

Ralebird on January 22, 2014 at 4:09 am
    • I hope you are right RL. That area also looks like it will be flooded with light, with all of the windows they have up there. That could be disruptive to sleep. Could you imagine a shift worker up there trying to sleep in the daytime? I do like some windows in a master bedroom space, but not an over abundance.
      I needs my beauty rest—LOL

Mel on January 21, 2014 at 6:32 pm
    • Have you ever had vaulted ceilings? They may look nice, but I think the space could be put to better use. Besides when the cob webs and dust build up you might find yourself feeling differently. You will need an extended ladder to reach it to clean. Spiders love trusses, great places to lay their eggs. Just saying…something to consider.

Lisa S. on January 22, 2014 at 11:39 am
    • Hi Lisa S. Yes, I do have vaulted ceilings in my current home and I live in Florida. In the three years I have lived in this particular home, ( been in FL for over 25 years ) I have not had any cob webs or spiders! I think if you are experiencing these things that perhaps you may need a new pest control. We have a very good family run pest control and I only see them once a year to do the yearly checkup! :)

jchristie24 on January 23, 2014 at 12:15 am
    • I agree wish hope voting get the picture

Love cabin on January 26, 2014 at 5:32 pm
    • I have to agree with you. I like the traditional bathroom. I have always wanted a clawfoot tub. The pebble shower just seems like it would be perfect too because of the house being by a lake and just the feel of it. Everything is pretty though. It is hard making the choices, but that means that the designers are picking good quality items for us to choose from. I am loving this!!!!

CheleRS3 on February 1, 2014 at 4:11 pm
  5. Kayla….I'm seeing some confusion about what is intended for the Upper Room and the Master Suite. Please let us see the revised floor plan so we can vote more effectively. You are asking us to make choices about things that push our imaginations in different directions. That impacts the logic applied to making choices.

Is the Master BR suite going to be upstairs along with the "Private Sanctuary / Social Bonus Room"? The title for this week's voting would make that appear so.

RLDorf on January 21, 2014 at 5:08 pm
    • I think the bonus room picture is kind of deceptive; no matter how much the upstairs has been expanded, I doubt there would be enough room for a standard pool table along with a master suite.

Ralebird on January 22, 2014 at 4:13 am
  6. Kayla, I think we all need clarification as to what will be considered the upstairs master bedroom and why would the master have a bar area and a social room? I am so confused and want to make the right choices on my voting! Is anyone else as confused as I am????? o.0

jchristie24 on January 21, 2014 at 5:23 pm
    • Yes JChristie I am confused, dizzy, and directionally challenged by the vote this round. Though all of the choices are Great
      Some think the master is on the first floor when Kayla is telling us it's upstairs.
      Floor plans or letting us know which space is for what would really help! o.0o.0o.0

Mel on January 21, 2014 at 6:47 pm
    • I agree Mel! Also, how could the master have vaulted ceilings if it wasn't on the second floor? I am all kinds of confused not knowing what the room consists of and where it is located! lol. I really hope that Kayla will shed some light on all this come tomorrow!

jchristie24 on January 21, 2014 at 7:31 pm
    • yes, yes…. i think the master will be on the second floor…maybe they will expand this area…..

twoTERRIERs on January 22, 2014 at 2:41 pm
    • From the siding renderings it's clear the upstairs has been elongated considerably, probably widened slightly also. This may give enough room for the MBR suite and bonus sanctuary. Something I still don't accept :)

The MBR closet looks like it will be a very shallow, reach-in style, along one wall. That gives more space. The stairs can come up to divide the master bed & bath from the bonus room. The MBR can be walled off with a door leaving an area for lounging, coffee/bar area open on the other end.

None of these spaces will be large but it may work if the bonus area is like a small sitting area with smaller games (no pool) and maybe a sofa bed to double as an extra bedroom if needed as bonus rooms down south usually do. This gives a small MBR, small ensuite spa and the bonus area. There's just not enough space for more. Which is why I still thiink the MBR will be the first floor.

A point to ponder is does DIY really care what is chosen? By being vague they get a collection of vote winners then they can reveal the floor plan that they believe works best with the choices and not have voters box DIY into a corner on certain design aspects. Just a thought. ;)

Clive on January 22, 2014 at 3:05 pm
    • I read it as the coffee/tea service was in the game room (or private sanctuary). But the voting was for the Master suite. Oh no, now I'm confused!!!! o.0 :o

AndreaMP on January 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm
    • Being that the Vaulted Ceiling is one of the options, I understand this to mean that the MB is upstairs. The Social Room/Private Retreat seems to me to be what the MB would mean to each of us. I consider the Private Retreat just that–private from the remaining home and guests for the owners of the MB. If it were a Social Room then guests would have the option to enjoy themselves even when the owners wanted to retreat to their MB. The coffee bar/wine bar could either be in the private retreat/social room or the bedroom. Either works for the private retreat or social room. I think a coffee/tea area is best for the MB so that the owners can enjoy waking up to the smell of coffee without having to go downstairs prior to being ready to face guests and it's just more convenient in a two-story home. Lending my perspective, as I could be way off on all of that and totally wrong! Happy Blogging everyone!!

EiraKynthia on January 22, 2014 at 2:13 pm
    • Both ends of the first floor are also 'A' frame so either could be vaulted. They will replace the entire roof for sure. :)

Clive on January 22, 2014 at 2:24 pm
    • The bar and social room isn't in the master bdrm. It's in another room upstairs or an open area off the staircase (like a loft).

webwoman on January 22, 2014 at 7:26 pm
  7. Why are people voting for a 'social room' upstairs? There's a photo of a pool table, but it doesn't look like the upstairs space is big enough for a pool table.

Give the upstairs space to the adults. Let the kids have their video games in the downstairs living room. Adults need their own retreat upstairs.

AlainaMacGaren on January 21, 2014 at 5:26 pm
    • I agree. The drawings make that upstairs area look very narrow. I can't imagine a pool table up there…but the photos are only intended to be representative of the rooms usage. Imagine the space needed for a pool table and clearance around it to take shots without breaking windows! I selfishly vote based on how I would use the house. I'm retired and would prefer the "Private Sanctuary" up there. The grandkids are not going to be there most of the time. When they are, they can plan in the media room, porch, or outside. I'll just have to figure out a way to keep them away from the gators.

RLDorf on January 21, 2014 at 5:32 pm
    • The picture of the game room was just a rendering. Maybe it will have a ginormous TV in it and not the pool table? Personally I'm OK with either private sanctuary or game room or the whole home for that matter..lol

AndreaMP on January 21, 2014 at 8:46 pm
  8. For my 2c worth this is what we're voting on: –

Clearly, the upstairs will not be a bedroom. It will either be a quiet sanctuary for reading, crafting, listening to music etc. and possibly socializing or a Megaden-like room with pool table, large TV, games and, maybe for both styles, a murphy or sofa bed. We can choose whether it has a bar set up for alcohol or not and whether the seating will be all freestanding chairs or window seats.

The Master suite will be on the 1st floor and we have choices for the ceiling, bathroom style, headboard and closet style only.

FYI my estimate of the size of the upstairs room – based on the size of the current house that's easy to calculate from the aerial images, and assuming all the windows shown in the cream siding rendering are standard width – will be about 30' x 15'. Plenty big enough for pool tables and other things including a sofabed / murphy bed. :)

Clive on January 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm
    • Clive…as always, I appreciate your dose of practicality and reality. 30' x 15' would be a great space up there. I also agree with your belief that the Master BR will be on the first floor.

RLDorf on January 21, 2014 at 5:37 pm
    • Thanks Clive. I think you nailed it.

DannyF on January 21, 2014 at 6:01 pm
    • That seems to be the way it is. Thanks for simplifying it for me.

Sally on January 21, 2014 at 6:20 pm
    • yes you nailed it clive….i want a private retreat above

twoTERRIERs on January 21, 2014 at 6:32 pm
    • Clive I hope you are right….the only thing is Kayla says in her blog above:

Help us select features for the "UPstairs Master suite".
      If you are right I hope she will correct her wording to First floor master suite.

Mel on January 21, 2014 at 6:39 pm
    • While I think the upstairs will be widened as well as lengthened, 450 feet will make a serviceable master suite with a sitting area/game room. It may be even larger than that because I believe the entire rear of the (current) house will be extended enough to put two bedrooms at the opposite end from the living room. I'd prefer the master in that new area because I don't want to climb stairs forever but it says "upstairs master suite" at the top of the page.

Ralebird on January 22, 2014 at 4:27 am
    • Clive
      thanks again for your expertise:>)
      I do hope they come up with the revised floor plans soon-seems to be a lot of confusion. I agree with you that the MB is on the first floor and the game/social room upstairs? I voted for the coffee bar as you can still use it like you wish-nobody said you could only drink coffee? you can have the best of both worlds. I do hope they keep the "widow walks" design and have great windows for viewing the lake but as I stated earlier maybe some skylights for star gazing-that possibly open up for additional venting? And maybe in keeping with a WW put in a balcony/walkway/deck area for outside gazing and viewing???:>):>)<3
      We need plans, please we are getting crazy curious:>)!LOL!

ruffybc on January 22, 2014 at 11:28 am
  9. Hum, we are voting for the master suite, maybe it will have an upstairs retreat or game room…or maybe both the bedroom and retreat will be upstairs for a logical master suite……that might be a bit small….they are so clever I can see them do just about anything….

twoTERRIERs on January 21, 2014 at 5:52 pm
    • Although the vote category is for Master Suite that isn't quite the whole story. ^_^

The first three items to vote for say upstairs room use (not rooms), upstairs room beverage area (mini kitchen) & upstairs seating.

The other six are titled Master Suite (something). They have lumped two rooms into the 'Master Suite' vote. Probably to get things moving faster with the project. ;)

Clive on January 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm
    • It's really time they showed us the new plan to get more practical choices. Does it really make sense for people to be voting on things that differ in the amount of space required without giving us an idea of the space available?

Ralebird on January 22, 2014 at 4:30 am
    • Well, in 2009 they included a huge bath tub in the vote. Several bloggers knew the tub and we had room sizes in those days. It was clear the tub wouldn't fit into the room. However the vote proceeded and the over sized tub won. Bloggers nicknamed it the 'Koi Pond'. In order to accommodate the tub the builders had to redesign the bathroom, eliminate the linen closet, shower and part of the master bedroom to make it fit. It really spoiled the entire master suite. 'Mistakes' can and sometimes do happen.

Sally on January 22, 2014 at 10:41 am
    • I hope the confused read your post!

cucumberHOH on January 22, 2014 at 4:46 pm
  10. I love the idea of the private room. I'm not into socializing and would love a place I could make into a library. Right now all my books are in boxes and totes. I could also turn that room into a quilting/sewing room. Neither of the bars are of interest to me. I don't drink coffee, tea or alcohol. Give me Dr. Pepper!!! ;) I go more for the traditional, classical looks. Modern fixtures have never caught my attention. Really like the vaulted ceiling.

Therese of So Cal on January 21, 2014 at 6:09 pm
    • Dr. Pepper, lemonade, pomegranate juice and almond milk can all go into a bar fridge, but you'd have a hard time making them work with the coffee machine.

Ralebird on January 22, 2014 at 4:32 am