Jan 16

A Pre-Weekend Project Teaser

I’m sure you all are still pouring over the existing floor plans and making big plans for the weekend. I know I am! Continue casting your 50 final votes (you can vote 10 times per day!) in round one of our People’s Choice program, and get ready for round two coming up on Tuesday morning.

Until then, I had to share this picture that project manager Dylan Eastman recently sent over. He said he has been experimenting with some projects for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin.

Blog Cabin 2014

What do you think he’s working on here? Let’s talk it up over some morning coffee.

• Posted at 11:46 am on January 1, 2014

1. It kind of looks like the parts for the glass door knobs. Is he cleaning them up to reuse?

Evelyn on January 17, 2014 at 1:57 pm
  2. After reading others post, I am going to agree with the mason jar idea. Maybe oil or insect replicant for a screened in porch or a mason jar light to hang from a tree.

Love cabin on January 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm
  3. Looks like a depression glass cake plate being repurposed as a light or lamp

ChicagoBirder on January 17, 2014 at 3:30 pm
  4. Stained glass window?

southmeadowfarm on January 17, 2014 at 4:39 pm
    • Love stained glass!

I didn't see any copper strips though.
      I've one made one stained glass window. I'm sure they taught me the easiest method & the one he'd probably show us. We used a copper foil between the glass and then melted a lead solder over it so I could be wrong. Not sure what the oil would be for in this scenario.

Not trying to give you a hard time. I really do love your idea. (gave you a +) :)

MyLadyNight on January 18, 2014 at 1:13 am
    • Thinking about it that disc shape might be more 3-D then a DVD. It could be a roll of copper. It's hard to tell without scale!

I hope it is. He could easily "jig solder" together glass into a lamp?candle!

MyLadyNight on January 18, 2014 at 1:24 am
  5. how about a sun catcher? maybe? Dylan and crew you are something else but what ever it will be made by you guys and will be special

bogartandbacall on January 17, 2014 at 4:40 pm
  6. I agree about the light fixture. However Dylan probably has something completely different planned.

Kathleen on January 17, 2014 at 4:54 pm
    • Agreed!

MyLadyNight on January 18, 2014 at 12:48 am
  7. Maybe Dylan's working on an orange juice bottling plant in the shed that's on the property?

DBCoop on January 17, 2014 at 5:54 pm
  8. Wow! Dylan "you did good!" This picture is driving me nuts!! I have been "pouring over" the pictures in the group 1 through 79, looking at pics 24-25 and the underside of the light area looks a bit like Dylans masterpiece, HOWEVER, looking at page 45 with that gorgeous lighting fixture that has the same "scalloping affect" around the lighting part. I know I sound babbly and that is cause I am! There is something very special about the lighting fixture on pic #45. There I said it, lol.I'm not as crazy as I sound,but that lighting fixture is calling my name. No not literally just stuck in the back of my mind.:S That scalloping is beautiful. Come to think of it, I remember when I was little, my mom had some glass/crystal cups, bowls etc. I'm guessing that I have no idea what's up with that picture. Thanks Dylan I have plenty to think about.

Sheri McNamara on January 17, 2014 at 6:39 pm
    • I think Sheri could be on to something. Almost all of the inside doors have glass doorknobs. To remove all the paint and dirt from them would be a project for sure. Each knob also has a metal part attached to the glass that receives the shaft that goes through the lock to the knob on the other side of the door. This area would surly have to be refinished. Now lets look at that light fixture in photo # 45. This is a period fixture and would most definietly not be part of a junk pile. A lot of posts suggest some sort of light or lamp creation. I stated yesturday that when looking at the second picture. It was not what was there but what was not there. Could be because it is already part of the fixture. Well thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Jay Michajluk on January 17, 2014 at 11:27 pm
  9. grammagail on January 17, 2014 at 7:24 pm

New link…..first one messed up!

grammagail on January 17, 2014 at 7:26 pm
    • Thanks grammagail, I hadn't seen that.

vicki_in_Utah on January 17, 2014 at 9:46 pm
    • That was dated this week. Does that mean the house is still on East Main Street and hasn't been moved yet?

Ralebird on January 18, 2014 at 12:14 am
    • That was my take from it. Looks like they are preparing the locals to see a house going down the road. LOL

grammagail on January 18, 2014 at 1:43 pm
    • Several locals have said they will give us a heads-up when it moves. :)

AnniesOwn on January 18, 2014 at 9:37 pm
    • Hi, to confirm, yes, the house has not been moved to the lakefront lot yet. However, did a drive-by yesterday and the crew is there prepping it for the move. Yeah, I'll post an update when it happens. So exciting!!

Diane on January 21, 2014 at 10:31 pm
    • Is the widow's walk still on or has it been removed?

Ralebird on January 22, 2014 at 5:23 am
    • Sept 8th sounds so far away . . .

Wind Chime Girl on January 18, 2014 at 8:58 pm
    • We still have voting to do, cabin cam to watch, see the house put on the lot through video or time lapse, see the new floorplans, watch all the crashes, watch Chris Grundy on the Kubota, have coffee mornings and picnic afternoons and maybe a 'gator sighting. Lots left to do!

grammagail on January 19, 2014 at 4:15 pm
    • Grammagail, I know, you are right, and the time will fly. I'm so looking forward to all the voting, cabin cam, everything like you point out. I look forward to the big 'reveal' with such anticipation.
      And hoping a blogger will win!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 19, 2014 at 11:54 pm
  10. hey! We're popular on tv. sure doesn't hurt, may have more than 10 million votes this vote how bout that. means putting in those postcards and diy votes. will be fun Thanks for the news announcement. Good news travels fast–extra fast.

bogartandbacall on January 17, 2014 at 8:24 pm