Jan 16

A Pre-Weekend Project Teaser

I’m sure you all are still pouring over the existing floor plans and making big plans for the weekend. I know I am! Continue casting your 50 final votes (you can vote 10 times per day!) in round one of our People’s Choice program, and get ready for round two coming up on Tuesday morning.

Until then, I had to share this picture that project manager Dylan Eastman recently sent over. He said he has been experimenting with some projects for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin.

Blog Cabin 2014

What do you think he’s working on here? Let’s talk it up over some morning coffee.

• Posted at 11:46 am on January 1, 2014

1. I'm not sure what Dylans' making but it might be a stained glass window for the widows walk. Other than that no clue whatsoever; but it should be amazing.

NvbH on January 17, 2014 at 12:57 am
    • That. Roll of wire doesn't look like wire for stain glass, too thick, looks like for craft.

Denise_D._ on January 17, 2014 at 9:24 am
    • It's solder wire I'm sure. It could be used to make leaded glass inserts. :)

Clive on January 17, 2014 at 10:29 am
    • I've seen mason jars turned into different types of lamps. I personally do stain glass and to me the items in the plastic bag look like: solder, copper foil (to wrap edges of cut glass and allow for pieces to be soldered together), the bottle might be a solvent used to "aged" solder lines on the finished item, almost think I see a red handled glass cutter. Hmm…..

LRN on January 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm
    • Oh the oil could be for the glass cutter next to the roll of wire. To cut the jar top or bottom off. I still think it's a hanging pendent using the curtain rod to hide the wire. The plate on top.

Denise_D._ on January 17, 2014 at 9:30 am
  2. Given Dylan's talent for repurposing it could end up any number of things… he could even change his mind & we would never know lol! :)

At first glance I thought he was treating/enameling some chain or bent wire in the bottom of a bowl. Possibly for a decorative cloisonne or etched glass treatment or to pretty up a chain something would be suspended from.
    Not being able to tell the length of the brass rod I thought maybe a curtain rod… something interesting in a window (before I saw the, what looks like, grooves in the metal.

Finally I saw that the bottle of liquid does indeed have the word oil clearly printed on it (if you look close enough).
    I wish I could make out the whole title on the disc *** Pro ! (sigh)

All this, mainly the oil, brings me to think it will be some kind of oil lamp. (still many variations possible)
    Before I found this page was updated I found Dylan's kumquat recipe post and now wonder if there might be a canning jar involved? Of course this is the obvious conclusion so… who knows?
    I will be interesting to see what all the items really are and what they become!

If the kumquats came from the property will the winner get some too?
    Will that be one of the bonus prizes? :)

Kari on January 17, 2014 at 1:16 am
    • The squiggles in the glass definitely look to be shapes within the glass, but is that a bit of wire around the edge?

I keep wanting to interpert the distorted writing on the disc to say Silver as in possibly Silver Solder Pro.
      The disc must have come as part of a soldering kit now shown unpacked.
      This would make sense with the soldering wire and what can be made out of the tools.

Kari on January 17, 2014 at 2:20 am
  3. Notice the words "no good" next to the bottle of liquid? Maybe that means the liquid won't be used?

webwoman on January 17, 2014 at 6:15 am
    • It just a continue from the picture words above and continue up the right side with Dlyan

Denise_D._ on January 17, 2014 at 8:58 am
    • It may be a 'clue'. "I'm UP to" "no good". 'Up' inferring to hanging from ceiling, 'no good' possibly meaning one of the items not going to be used, to throw us off.

webwoman on January 17, 2014 at 1:01 pm
  4. A canning jar light is the first thing that comes to mind but is that Dylan's intention?
    The coffee is an excellent idea, Kayla! Nothing like starting the day with coffee and a puzzle! Thank you.

grammagail on January 17, 2014 at 8:30 am
    • I think you're right, grammagail. I noticed the bottom of the glass jar. Unsure what the metal thing is; but, I do think it has been attached to it. Looking forward to this final project reveal.

Trish on January 17, 2014 at 2:05 pm
  5. If you go to bing and but in Dylan Eastman, hit on his image site, it shows him under the house taking notes. Don't know if before the move or after. Plus the rent picture above.

Denise_D._ on January 17, 2014 at 9:08 am
    • Ty o rest of the picture.

Denise_D._ on January 17, 2014 at 9:21 am
  6. Wow, this is interesting! I've been enjoying every new thing we are able to see. The only thing I can think of is that there's a cd which could mean him being taught how to make something. The top picture almost looks like paint or some kind of jar and he's using some of those tools to design something special. He's so handy dandy whatever it is I'm positive well all love it. Can't wait to see what it it..AAAAAAWWWWWW!

Getnutzangel on January 17, 2014 at 9:45 am
  7. How about some kind of wind chime for the outdoor space?

vicki_in_Utah on January 17, 2014 at 9:53 am
    • Might be nice, right up until the wind really kicks up and those glass jars shatter.

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2014 at 4:43 pm
    • I really like the idea of a wind chime out there!
      That's a good one.
      Even if that isn't this project maybe someone will string one up! :D

MyLadyNight on January 18, 2014 at 12:53 am
    • Vicki, surely he would have called me if it were to be a wind chime!
      Ha!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 18, 2014 at 8:46 pm
  8. I love this! What a great idea! Given the clues, I think everyone is on the right track with a chandelier or lighting project or a window project in the "widows walk" area. The wind chime is also an excellent idea, I just hope it doesn't get too windy! I have loved all of the BC in the past, but this one really has SPECIAL written all over it!

stlmom1 on January 17, 2014 at 10:24 am
  9. If all those items are going to be used to create something….I see solder, what appears to be lamp parts, what I think is a glass cutting tool…some flux…what others are calling a "disk" I think is the metal tape that is used around cut glass for a stained glass application…

my guess is a lamp with some type of cut glass or stained glass in it.

We are all probably way off base. I hope we find out soon if any of the guesses were right!

Rebecca on January 17, 2014 at 11:13 am
    • I don't think you're "off base". I think this will be a "lamp base"

ChicagoBirder on January 17, 2014 at 3:34 pm
    • I think you're real close but I see a label on what looks more like a bottle than a jar. Rum, coke and a nice glow.

Ralebird on January 18, 2014 at 12:22 am
  10. Hey minitoni where are you? You are really good at this kind of stuff. Is that a urine specimen? What are you going to put in that jar? What is going on here?

Ashtabulannie on January 17, 2014 at 12:31 pm
    • For some reason all of minitoni's posts here on Blog Cabin, vanish.

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm