Jan 16

A Pre-Weekend Project Teaser

I’m sure you all are still pouring over the existing floor plans and making big plans for the weekend. I know I am! Continue casting your 50 final votes (you can vote 10 times per day!) in round one of our People’s Choice program, and get ready for round two coming up on Tuesday morning.

Until then, I had to share this picture that project manager Dylan Eastman recently sent over. He said he has been experimenting with some projects for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin.

Blog Cabin 2014

What do you think he’s working on here? Let’s talk it up over some morning coffee.

• Posted at 11:46 am on January 1, 2014

1. You got me—Dylan, are you experimenting with stained glass?

joyfulj9 on January 16, 2014 at 6:12 pm
  2. Hopefully he is restoring the antique lighting fixture or maybe repairing the antiques door knobs.

pappysfav on January 16, 2014 at 6:44 pm
  3. Ball jar lights? I love those!

amiller729 on January 16, 2014 at 8:14 pm
  4. Putting something in resin maybe? That would be really appropriate for this home.

minitoni on January 16, 2014 at 9:01 pm
  5. I hope I'm not stealing any of Dylan's thunder here but all you Blog Cabin Pirates may enjoy this offering.
    ;)

Clive on January 16, 2014 at 9:18 pm
    • Hi Clive, interesting link. I have plenty of antique jars thanks to my Grannies and never thought of doing that with them.
      But I'll stand my guess of oil lamp into electric lamp. Thanks to one Granny, I have plenty of those, too. That looks like a little bottle of lamp oil and an oil lamp base in the pic.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 16, 2014 at 10:30 pm
    • Cilve….I think you hit it on the head! Good find and ideas for projects! I'm hoping for lots of inovative energy efficiency ideas. I really hoping for solar or wind turbine with all the sunshine and breezes in Florida you could easily go off grid in an efficient home. That would be wicked good! :-D

LRN on January 17, 2014 at 12:09 pm
    • Way to go Clive, I think you may have one part right.

540sam on January 17, 2014 at 4:35 pm
    • He says it's actually 2 projects in one.o.0

540sam on January 18, 2014 at 7:53 am
    • Thar be a mightee fine idea Clive…..when me consumed to much Rum….me need to foller a well lit path…..thank ye fer thinkin' of us ole salty pirates on de blog…
      Wouldn't want ter meet a gator in a dark corner of de yard neither, nay, no peg legs fer tis pirate!

Mel on January 20, 2014 at 8:37 pm
  6. I think he's turning an old oil lamp into an electric lamp.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm
    • i think i see the "rope wick" in thar

twoTERRIERs on January 16, 2014 at 10:37 pm
    • I'm still looking for the wick.

Wind Chime Girl on January 17, 2014 at 10:26 pm
    • Then why would he have that bottle of oil?

MyLadyNight on January 17, 2014 at 3:44 am
    • A hint to "oil" lamp maybe?

Wind Chime Girl on January 17, 2014 at 10:27 pm
    • Ah, I don't know!

Wind Chime Girl on January 17, 2014 at 10:31 pm
    • Why would there be a curtain rod with a bag of mount and screws.

Denise_D._ on January 17, 2014 at 8:09 am
    • and what appears to be a CD (Under the oil)?

MAOW on January 17, 2014 at 8:53 am
    • MAOW, looks like some kind of bushing or flange or ? to me, not so much a CD.
      Looking again, that doesn't look like a very big bottle for it to be lamp oil.
      Guess I missed this one!

Wind Chime Girl on January 17, 2014 at 10:38 pm
    • I didn't see that as a curtain rod, you may be right.

Wind Chime Girl on January 17, 2014 at 10:36 pm
    • My 1st thought too, but I don't think it's a curtain rod.
      If you look closely it looks as if it has grooves , like a screw.
      I think it might be a fitting, possibly to hold the wick? Hold something together anyway.

Most of the items seem to be components of a Silver Solder Pro kit.
      (That's what I think the disc says anyway)

MyLadyNight on January 18, 2014 at 12:12 am
    • Isn't that rod where the cord for lighting goes? I am not sure about the oil thing?

ruffybc on January 18, 2014 at 11:40 am
    • That was my thought, Ruffy

Wind Chime Girl on January 18, 2014 at 8:43 pm
    • You gonna enter this one WCG? Or have you been entering Our Dream Home?

COOLSMILEY on January 19, 2014 at 4:29 pm
    • Hey COOLSMILEY!! Finances haven't changed so not planning on entering to win, but love the game. And I already love BC 2014. If I win the lottery . . . well, then. Hmm.
      I am entering at DH every day! What a beauty.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 19, 2014 at 11:36 pm
  7. Glass etching? whatever it is, it's going to turn out and be the cats meow.
    ;) <3

MaryPA on January 16, 2014 at 11:17 pm
  8. The first picture does look like the bottom of a large wide mouth jar. The second picture does contain some items that look electrial and could be used to make a lamp or wall light. In looking closer at the second picture it is the items that are not there that have me rethinking that idea. The warning label talks about "thin film" and that bottle looks like it could contain an adhesive. I had seen someone working with "Goldleaf" a long time ago. That may be part of it. I just wish the items were not in that plastic. He did do a good job of hiding the obvious. I maybe just over thinking his project.

Jay Michajluk on January 16, 2014 at 11:36 pm
    • The only thing there is a roll of artist wire or solder ; looks too wide to be solder. I don't see any other electrical. I see glass cutter, plate, curtain rod, jar, jar of oil for glass cutter or 10oz of something else, green roll of something or rod with, green cloth under plate,and the papers in a bag of ? Also something on the right side of the plate decorative possibly a handle. Also the plastic covering everything.

Denise_D._ on January 18, 2014 at 8:27 am
  9. I have to go with light ing too, wall scone or ceiling would be fun!

Lia_M on January 17, 2014 at 12:00 am
  10. I've been reading but not posting to the blog and I couldn't take it any longer when you do things like this,LOL. I really only have a guess because I don't really know what it takes to make a stained glass project but that's it…a stained glass something. Lamp, window, picture frame mat, accessories, etc. The brass rod with threads is throwing me off, it's short and it really looks to be something in plumbing wear instead of electrical to me but I could be wrong. The ring that comes with the adhesive is also something I can't figure out. Overall I'm just stumped, coffee or not :)

Valerie on January 17, 2014 at 12:28 am
    • I see no ring, no adhesive. A roll of article wire or solder. The rod doesn't have threads it's a expandable curtain rod, which looks like a crystal on the one end cut off by the edge of the picture.

Denise_D._ on January 18, 2014 at 8:41 am
    • I think the rod is part of a lamp kit. I've something very similar in my workshop for repairing table lamps. I agree with the solder wire, that's almost certain, and the red glass cutter. I'm gong to go with some sort of light fitting but whether it's a pendant or table lamp I just can't tell.

DannyF on January 18, 2014 at 10:42 am