Jan 16

A Pre-Weekend Project Teaser

I’m sure you all are still pouring over the existing floor plans and making big plans for the weekend. I know I am! Continue casting your 50 final votes (you can vote 10 times per day!) in round one of our People’s Choice program, and get ready for round two coming up on Tuesday morning.

Until then, I had to share this picture that project manager Dylan Eastman recently sent over. He said he has been experimenting with some projects for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin.

Blog Cabin 2014

What do you think he’s working on here? Let’s talk it up over some morning coffee.

• Posted at 11:46 am on January 1, 2014

1. I don't have the fogest or slightest idea; however, knowing him in past projects will be wonderful!

grswla on January 16, 2014 at 11:50 am
  2. Making some kind of inlay in a glass? There's solder, flux and what looks like a glass tumbler.

Someone nicknamed Dylan McGuyver a while back so it could be an interplanetary warp drive too. ^_^

AnniesOwn on January 16, 2014 at 12:07 pm
    • Dylan MacGyver – love it! :P

Kayla@HGTV on January 16, 2014 at 12:44 pm
  3. Maybe some kind of lamp or chandelier? The possibilities are endless in my mind! Can't wait to see.

falen on January 16, 2014 at 12:22 pm
    • Hmmm, I like that idea.

Kayla@HGTV on January 16, 2014 at 12:44 pm
    • I think Kayla might be giving us a little hint.:)

nanwes on January 16, 2014 at 1:46 pm
    • Unfortunately, Dylan is keeping me guessing, too!

Kayla@HGTV on January 16, 2014 at 3:50 pm
    • I think it's a lamp of some sort. I love the idea of that and I like the look of the green glass.

TwoCorgis on January 16, 2014 at 3:25 pm
    • Does look like a lamp shade or presentation bowl.

MrMoogy on January 31, 2014 at 11:37 am
  4. Making some sort of centerpiece using an old glass jar?!

dsterli9 on January 16, 2014 at 12:23 pm
    • Oooh, that'd be lovely.

Kayla@HGTV on January 16, 2014 at 12:44 pm
  5. I'll climb on to the light fixture idea.

RLDorf on January 16, 2014 at 12:40 pm
  6. Considering Florida's tropical climate, I'll say maybe a ceiling fan. A light fixture might go with it. Then again, since this is a teaser, and master of all trades Dylan Eastman is involved, it could be a bicycle built for two!

DBCoop on January 16, 2014 at 12:59 pm
    • Good answer DB, we all know Dylan likes to surprise us just when we think we've got something figured out. :)

nanwes on January 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm
    • My Grandpa's favorite song! Do we have any bloggers named Daisy?

COOLSMILEY on January 19, 2014 at 4:40 pm
  7. I am thinking of a stained glass treatment or an actual window in the widows area upstairs. Not too much but enough to have a large focal piece!!

kmh on January 16, 2014 at 1:07 pm
    • Maybe a stained glass entryway?? or light at entry??

kmh on January 16, 2014 at 1:08 pm
  8. My guess is that someone is doing glass etching and woodworking. What those specific projects could be, though, I have no clue.

AlainaMacGaren on January 16, 2014 at 1:16 pm
  9. My first thought was a lamp as well. Since that has already been covered I'll go to my second option.

It is going to be an insect trap. One the biggest problems during construction of our first home was that all those opening before windows and doors were installed allowed insects inside. My DW used some hanging glass jars filled with a little sugar water to trap the insects. Given the number of insects in FL I would think insects could pose a problem during construction and would need to be addressed.

MAOW on January 16, 2014 at 1:23 pm
    • Oh, that is a good guess:>) I am going with that too!

ruffybc on January 16, 2014 at 7:11 pm
    • …or maybe a patio torch?

MAOW on January 16, 2014 at 7:58 pm
    • MAOW
      Could be?:>) Patios are a good thing and with a torch, better yet!:)

ruffybc on January 17, 2014 at 8:47 am
    • That was my first thought but have you ever seen one of those jars after it has done it's job? Not pretty. Some how I think Dylan will come up with something nicer to look at.
      BUT, a good bug catcher would be worth having.

Eugenia27 on January 16, 2014 at 7:15 pm
    • Yes, not pretty, but easier to clean up than the mice and snakes who also wanted to call our new construction home. LOLCI.

MAOW on January 16, 2014 at 8:02 pm
    • Yuck, I do not like mice. Don't the snakes take care of the mouse problem?

Eugenia27 on January 16, 2014 at 8:05 pm
    • You would think so but apparently there were too many mice because they also ate our camper.

MAOW on January 16, 2014 at 9:05 pm
    • LOLoops, sorry.

Eugenia27 on January 16, 2014 at 9:21 pm
    • Instead of trapping them try putting shinny pennies in the jars (more commonly bags) and hang them near the openings preferably in light w/ some breeze (to create a bit of movement.
      I've heard that a local outdoor restaurant does this and they say no one sees any flies there.

The idea is that the light being refracted by the slightly moving shinny pennies warns off flying insects. Some say it makes the airspace seem too crowded to them and they move on. I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure why it works (& I haven't tried it myself yet), but many people say that it works.

Certainly better that a bunch of flies alive of dead (yuck!) !!! :)

Kari on January 17, 2014 at 12:35 am
    • I have never heard of that. Do you think it would work on June Bugs and mosquitoes?

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2014 at 4:47 pm
    • I had never heard of this either until Kari posted the above E-Mail.

The below is from a web site called GardensAlive.Com

Question. Do pennies in a zip lock bag of water actually keep flies and mosquitoes away? Is this a proven natural method of repelling pests?
      —-Skip in Edmond, OK

Answer. Some of you may remember this question being asked in a recent phone call on the show—and my response that I had never heard of such a thing, and could not imagine how such a trick would actually work. Well, many of you expressed interest, and then our unparalleled unpaid fact finding fanatic Charles Younger sent me a link to an article about this very topic on Snopes dot com—the famous myth busting (or, in some cases, myth confirming) website.

Snopes ruled it neither true nor false; instead letting it fall into their weasely ‘undetermined’ category. They note that the rumor to which Skip refers—about using some type of hanging plastic bag containing water to repel flies—is very prevalent down South, but in most variations the bags contain only water. A lesser percentage of the time, the bag user is instructed to add either a specific number of pennies (generally four), a single penny, or bits of shredded tinfoil to the water in the bags. Presumably the distortion of the water, the flashes of light from the shiny things and the possibility of seeing their own reflection in a distorted manner frightens or confuses the flies.

The Snopes article—posted on the site in August of last year and credited to Barbara Mikkelson—goes on to mention that a researcher in North Carolina actually tested the premise scientifically in a building where chicken eggs were sorted and readied for market. That researcher, Mike Stringham, an entomologist at North Carolina State University, was able to fill me in on the details.

Mike explained that during his many years on the job, the topic of hanging water filled bags to repel flies in barnyard and packing situations would come up every once in a while, with many people swearing by its effectiveness. Oddly, he explains, in one version of the ‘secret origin’ of this story, the idea begins with a fisherman who noticed a lack of biting flies attacking him on his boat after he stacked some water-filled plastic bags containing live fish on top of his cooler.

“It wasn’t long before stacked bags filled with fish and water repelling biting flies in a boat became hanging bags of water alone repelling flies in general,” explains Mike.

MAOW on January 17, 2014 at 5:37 pm
    • Maybe that fisherman was just in a spot where the biting flies had gone on vacation (or were eating another fisherman that was better tasting) I will have to try it for myself this summer.

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2014 at 5:56 pm
    • I do not know if the penny thing really works or not, but I'd also need to know the parameters of this experiment.
      There are plenty of poorly designed experiments out there. I'm also not saying this is one.
      Just, that more information is needed in order KNOW how much credence to give the experiments results.
      I figure this might sound weaselly, but I'm too familiar with the scientific method not to hear echos of all the science professors I've had… even the "soft" science (psychology :) lol) ones.

You seem to have added many variables to create a series of experiments. Might be a fun summer project to test them out! :) Good luck experimenters!

MyLadyNight on January 18, 2014 at 12:47 am
    • It might work on anything that flys.
      Worth a shot!

Kari

(Ended up w/ 2 IDs -oops

MyLadyNight on January 18, 2014 at 12:17 am
    • I can't wait to see Grundy running around the BC hanging bags full of shiny pennies to keep the bugs away.

MAOW on January 17, 2014 at 5:44 pm
    • That would be fun!

MyLadyNight on January 18, 2014 at 12:47 am
  10. my guess it would be light/fan of some sort maybe outside on our porch. how beautiful! And like you said with Dylan and Grundy and rest cant imanagine what it would turn out like. Loved first vote , cant wait till second. Kayla wonderful job.

bogartandbacall on January 16, 2014 at 2:00 pm
    • You will love the options in the second round of voting, bogartandbacall.

Kayla@HGTV on January 16, 2014 at 3:51 pm
    • My favorite stars of all time.

Deborah Maness on January 16, 2014 at 5:24 pm