Jan 10

Explore the Existing Floor Plan

Happy Friday, everyone! This week has just been full of treats here on the blog. First, the People’s Choice vote launches, and now … the existing floor plan is here! For me, it’s hard to really understand the layout of a home through images. Now, you can really comprehend what the home looks like and make your predictions on what’s to come in the renovation. Project manager Dylan Eastman shares his commentary and unnoticed details throughout the floor plan “tour” to help you all navigate.

Dylan Eastman Chris GrundyProject manager Dylan Eastman and tool expert Chris Grundy on site at Blog Cabin 2014.

Dylan Eastman Chris GrundyDylan and Grundy scoping out the home’s floor plan.

Check out the original floor plan >>

What do you think is changing? Share your renovation dreams with everyone.

• Posted at 1:32 pm on January 1, 2014

1. I see no other way for the floorplan except this; (In no specific order) Remove nook and wall behind stove to connect kitchen and dining room,add counter with bar stools for plating-up food and a convenient eating location that mingles with and keeps this area sociable.The window above kitchen sink should be enlarged and elongated.Remove as much of the ice-box wall as possible to make room for fridge and stove.Move the nook to the Widow Walk wich will become 'Captains Quarters" (a more suitable idea) with a nice wheellhouse feel w/sofa,fireplace,desk/tv/PS4/Plasma screen etc.Room #9sunporch next to liv.rm will become bedroom w/ wide doors to open cabana style to living room( if desired.)

OhioGuy74 on January 11, 2014 at 6:20 am
  2. The wall that comprises the front-to-back hallway in room #3 must be removed.Rooms 7 & 5 should be made one space as well as # 2 &4.BRB.

OhioGuy74 on January 11, 2014 at 6:25 am
  3. Move and enlarge the bathroom with Rm.#7 to become a master bath.The wall next to the stairs and the corner pass-through door way will make a nice spot for a tub or shower.(The pass through is'nt needed).Sink along the wall as well.The back porch will become laundry room with either end having a small room for a sink and toilet,which is also a mudroom/shoe den,convenient to outside.

OhioGuy74 on January 11, 2014 at 6:49 am
  4. When entering through the front door,you should be able to see and walk strait through the living room,through the new hallway next to master bath,through rm #7 and 3,cutting through to laundry rm,avoiding the kitchen walk through.Yes,I know this leaves only two bedrooms but very versatile and the living room can double as your master bedroom #3 and just use the #9sunporch or new captains quarters as a living room.This is an awesome idea because the choices for the furniture combinations will become vast and exquisite.(much like a celebrity home.)For instance,how about a giant canopy bed next to the front door with it's own private screened-in porch?Nice and cool to sleep near huh? Relocate the front door/steps to where the nook is with a small vestibule and you can keep the master suite and its porch.Still it will be changeable and remain modular.All the other spaces can balance nicely this way,with or without the mb suite.because you have so much flexibility. This will flood the place with light,but most importantly,the reduction of walls will reduce amount of labor and the effort is shifted to the finish work.

OhioGuy74 on January 11, 2014 at 7:13 am
  5. One more thing,This floorplan I am suggesting was not copied,is my own original idea and I hereby claim forfeiture of any legal right to its design,nor do I expect compensation for this exspressed idea.People please do not do work like this without a licensened qualified contractor present.I assume no liability or responsibilitiy for any outcome if someone chooses to use this idea.I have visited a 125 yr.-old farmhouse and what made the place so cozy and beautiful was it was sort of hodge-podge and imperfect.That is okay to do with this build ,it'sdeemed nessesary to save some of the character,that most of the bloggers wish to do.

OhioGuy74 on January 11, 2014 at 7:32 am
  6. Also,remove the staircase,to build a new hearth/fireplace visible on all four sides,on the end closest to the kitchen,with a shelf/bench at knee level to sit at/nestle,on two sides,kit.and dining rm.Close some of the floor in the widow walk and put a spiral staircase right next to the hearth,bring the new chimney up through the widow walk and remove the old chimney/fireplace.

OhioGuy74 on January 11, 2014 at 7:47 am
    • So how do you put furniture up or replace furniture with a spiral stair. If it were just for small chair sitting maybe. I like spiral stairs but not usefull better come up with a better location is all.

Denise_D._ on January 11, 2014 at 9:15 am
    • Widow walk should have wide open doors on at least one side to open whole wall for view and should have outdoor,upstairs deck built to carry furniture up there.Plus it would make for a great look-out spot,for wildlife observation/telescope obsevatory.l watching.

OhioGuy74 on January 11, 2014 at 11:20 am
    • (type-o)= I enjoy watching things like that,sunset,sunrise etc.from up there.Don't forget skylights too.

OhioGuy74 on January 11, 2014 at 11:22 am
    • Ohio, that's how we moved our upstairs furniture in. I had to have my emergency exit from the upstairs bedroom area for peace of mind so we built a little deck with a wide staircase to the ground. All the furniture came up outside. After that, all the boxes came up the same way. It made everything so much easier and I have my little deck for stargazing. Perfect.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 13, 2014 at 2:33 am
    • I agree with the widow walk idea-making it more of an observation area-inside and out:) We have asked for this feature on many of the past BC homes. That would be such a wonderful feature and great for the value and usability of this home. I for one am sooo excited about this feature:>)

ruffybc on January 14, 2014 at 10:30 am
    • No spiral staircase, PLEASE:* I have one now to a "sitting" room on the second floor of my house and it is awful. It was a nightmare getting the roll of carpeting up there and getting any real furniture was impossible. Just say NO to that feature

Windsmurf on January 13, 2014 at 2:58 pm
  7. This is the 1998 HGTV Dream Home just use those set of plans

Lois on January 11, 2014 at 8:03 am
  8. I like breakfast nooks, mostly with 2 sides, and to open the kit. I think the 1 side will be gone. It is a tight space nook. I know a few who would have to sit on the end. I am sure all the none original stuff like drop ceiling, planing from later update will go they need to see if the wiring is up to code not tube and nob anywhere. I hope they put in the same heating and cooling, plus heated bathroom floors.^_^;)

Denise_D._ on January 11, 2014 at 8:46 am
    • I mean as in 2013 cabin heating cooling.

Denise_D._ on January 11, 2014 at 8:50 am
  9. This form of presenting the floor plan with an image of each room and Dylan's comments included helps us see things much closer. Thank you! I wondered what the brick columns were on the sun porch and the idea they were the original porch column bases makes sense.
    Hope the bead board in the widow's walk is retained. It gives that space character.

grammagail on January 11, 2014 at 9:56 am
  10. Since there is only 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, I wonder if they are going to make a full up stairs with the 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and the downstairs with just the kitchen dinning room and great room?

vicki_in_Utah on January 11, 2014 at 10:27 am
    • I think the last blog cabin had only two bedrooms and a pull down bunk in the Media Room/Den. I think the one before was similar. But I may be thinking a couple of homes back. So this is a good question. What will the final floor plan be like? I'm sure they will post it for us after they move the home sometime, or maybe before, Kayla?

minitoni on January 11, 2014 at 2:30 pm