Jan 10

Explore the Existing Floor Plan

Happy Friday, everyone! This week has just been full of treats here on the blog. First, the People’s Choice vote launches, and now … the existing floor plan is here! For me, it’s hard to really understand the layout of a home through images. Now, you can really comprehend what the home looks like and make your predictions on what’s to come in the renovation. Project manager Dylan Eastman shares his commentary and unnoticed details throughout the floor plan “tour” to help you all navigate.

Dylan Eastman Chris GrundyProject manager Dylan Eastman and tool expert Chris Grundy on site at Blog Cabin 2014.

Dylan Eastman Chris GrundyDylan and Grundy scoping out the home’s floor plan.

Check out the original floor plan >>

What do you think is changing? Share your renovation dreams with everyone.

• Posted at 1:32 pm on January 1, 2014

1. I love this so much, every time I watch I just want to go build my own home from the ground up. Can't get enough! I've been in Europe for the past 8 years and I haven't been able to to watch a lot of the shows, its good to be home and to be able to watch my DIY & HGTV

Jeanna on January 10, 2014 at 9:37 pm
    • welcome back jeanna

twoTERRIERs on January 10, 2014 at 9:40 pm
    • welcome back Jeanna!

minitoni on January 11, 2014 at 3:07 pm
  2. I'm the same way Kayla, which is way I've been wishing so hard for the floor plans.
    It makes sooo much more sense to me now!

I really like the original, its a nice starting point.
    I really want at least one more bathroom, but without an extension I'm not sure where it would go.
    Regardless how many bathrooms, IT MUST HAVE A SOAKER TUB!!!!

WIDOWS WALK
    love the views upstairs. I had considered moving the master up there but not at the cost of losing the wall to wall windows!! It might depend if a ensuite is possible or not downstairs. If not, why not?.
    It would be good as a"bunk room" for overflow overnight guests, but even murphy beds might block windows.

I think the BEST use would be as a game/party lounge. I'd love to see a pool table possibly one that converts into a ping pong table. I saw one advertised recently that looked very nice.

Think of it…great views, on a nice day or evening possibly all the windows open, comfortable seating, friends, games, food, drink. Great fun.

Or a great rain out location with the windows closed and something to do while talking that doesn't require sitting around or a TV!! Nothing against TVs.

That is my idea of the perfect widows walk. (with possibly a convertible something(s) or other for extra overnighters.

Kari on January 10, 2014 at 11:35 pm
    • YES to a soaker tub!! And the games room/ den upstairs!

Lia_M on January 12, 2014 at 1:05 am
  3. In general:

I'd love a larger kitchen. (preferably not at the expense of the eating nook. It reminds me of my grandmothers house, but I don't expect that will be possible) Speaking of the kitchen a pantry would be great!

I'm interested in what will happen with the wacky walls. I never saw the point to them myself and always hated them, but the way they did them orig. made sense. I see why they did them and they don't bother me. I look forward to seeing the new floor plan and if the new arrangement eliminates the need for them.

I can not describe how much I would love a wraparound porch! That would be AMAZING!
    At the very least there should be an extended overhang/stoop to keep visitors/packages dry while waiting.

Given the length of the property and the possible length of driveway to the house some sort of gate release, doorbell, intercom (/viewscreen?) would be nice. I'm sure you guys could think of something clever!
    Even if its just that the gate was left open!
    It would be comforting to be able to see what is going on there since the trees will probably block the view.
    Might need to know when to call the dogs off ! :)

It'll be great to see what everyone comes up with!

Kari on January 11, 2014 at 12:04 am
    • I'd also like to see the sunroom and/or rear porch expanded if extensions are being made or if rebuilding is necessary anyway due to rot or termites.

Kari on January 11, 2014 at 12:48 am
    • Hi Kari, the porches aren't going to make the move at least the sunroom has too many termites and they will replace it hopefully as you say with a larger, more functional 4 season sun room. And I gave you a thumbs up you were at zero on this comment. Don't know what's going on here but I left a note for the troll.

minitoni on January 11, 2014 at 2:56 pm
  4. Thank you for sharing the plans!! Love pouring over them. A few surprises or misconception on my part…

1. Didn't realize Breakfast Nook (that I love) was separate from kitchen. Maybe the charm of the nook could be incorporated in the new larger kitchen.

2. Two other features that I loved, the Sun room and back porch, now seem as worst a little redundant and at best full of potential!! Back porch space could be the way to enlarge the kitchen &/or the Master bdrm. Oooo and what about a Master Bath! Sun room and front porch maybe becomes a wrap around rocking chair veranda… Ahhh I'm sipping an ice tea already, watching the Spanish moss sway in the gentle breeze off the lake…ahhhh.

Gail on January 11, 2014 at 12:48 am
    • Oh well we know the porches aren't making the move but they can be replaced with maybe more functional larger ones or maybe the wrap around you mention. I like the idea of the table from the breakfast nook being incorporated into the kitchen somehow.

minitoni on January 11, 2014 at 2:53 pm
    • A home that small needs as much multi-purpose space as possible for a growing family. I like having both a back porch and the sun room.

AlainaMacGaren on January 16, 2014 at 1:35 pm
    • The sketches look like there is expansion planned at the current back of the house and upstairs.

Ralebird on January 16, 2014 at 2:36 pm
  5. Also loving the widow's walk. I Picture built in benches all around with lots and lots of comfy cushions and storage underneath for rainy day activities( DIY books, puzzles, misc. games). Maybe a telescope for star gazing… And if there is a non-window wall, a mini bar up there would be AWESOME! <3

Gail on January 11, 2014 at 1:19 am
    • How about a floating mini bar, maybe by the staircase. it looks almost as steep and narrow as the one last year, so I'm guessing that will be changed and any extras that would block the windows could be positioned there without harming the walls of windows…..

karenlin91 on January 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm
    • I thought the same

cucumberHOH on January 13, 2014 at 2:16 pm
    • I am actually having some difficulty picturing the upstairs space revised for more useful and enjoyable purposes. To me, it seems the stairs would have to be moved so they aren't in the middle of the space and the space needs to be enlarged accomodate maybe a family room and a guest room with a bath.

Windsmurf on January 13, 2014 at 2:40 pm
    • The siding renderings show the widows walk lengthened by 6-8 ft with one end partially enclosed – no windows. The reconfigured house entrance will come in where the present-day dining room is on the 1st floor. I believe the stairs will have to be moved or changed to accommodate this and the dining room will become an entry hall. The stairs may also not meet current building standards (same as the stairs last year). I suspect that the widows walk will be extended in one direction, forwards from the direction that the stairs come up presently to include the partially enclosed end, and the stairs will move to be close to the other end of the upstairs. That would give a much larger upstairs space for either a master bed & bath or a family room. Just speculating of course. :D Spiral staircase anyone? ;)

Clive on January 13, 2014 at 2:49 pm
  6. What's with the dark blue? No one in Florida paints their house that color. It's stupid to make your house hotter than hades. A dark color like that will add thousands to your cooling costs over the years.

Chrissey on January 11, 2014 at 1:41 am
    • The Light Green and the Dark Blue are tied with 40% each, and the Woodland Cream siding is taking 20% of the vote. What a mess.

Deborah Maness on January 12, 2014 at 1:37 pm
    • The green and blue are still neck in neck. This is crazy.

vicki_in_Utah on January 12, 2014 at 7:40 pm
    • that was my immediate first thought, but with all the new products this year would suspect this might not be so true anymore……many carribbean homes are in bright colors including blues and greens and tones of reds, etc……

thank you for bringing this up…..will rethink….

twoTERRIERs on January 12, 2014 at 3:24 pm
    • Very good point twoTs! You may well be right on in that modern insulation methods may make the dark blue less of a problem for heat gain. The fact that dark and vibrant colors are indeed often found on carribbean houses also makes the blue not seem inappropriate for Florida. That blue is awfully pretty, and I'm sure I could live with it if I were the lucky winner! ;)

SID on January 12, 2014 at 7:05 pm
    • i think all of the colors in that hypnotic sunshine, water and flora will just be exquisite…can't wait…im falling in love again…..already in love with dh, sh….oh my …. too many suitors.

twoTERRIERs on January 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm
    • Sandy, Caribbean being kind of key in your post – if you are beach side on a Caribbean island, you would have the sea breezes to cool you. And only parts of your shack would be painted in a (prettier) blue. Insulation would not be an issue because none of those coastal shacks have insulation. Some don't have window panes. In hotter climates, the homes of substance are made of a pale clay or brick or a cement derivative (covering straw bales). Which means I would have been very pleased to see a much different color offered – like – pale clay. Unless, of course all the houses around BC 2014 are already there and we wouldn't want to copy them.
      I love vibrant colors too, but in central Florida, I think it might be a huge utility bill burden.
      IMHO
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 13, 2014 at 1:00 am
    • That is what I thought. I'm glad someone who know for sure, spoke out.
      It's to late for the cream siding – will have to vote more than just once a day on the light green.

Eugenia27 on January 12, 2014 at 6:46 pm
    • Chrissey, I said in the previous thread a little bit ago: not too many of us in Texas go for dark exterior colors south of Denver. Insulation or not, you don't want a dark color siding your house. We weren't asked about the roof, but metal (ours is metal) will help with the heat. Couple that with the siding and wildfire danger will be minimized. Electricity costs go WAY down.
      Now, get down to Corpus and Padre, you'll see lots of brilliant color on homes. Well, cabins. Okay, shacks. And restaurants. But the blues are brilliant. Not the blue offered here. I really think voters will kick themselves if BC 2014 is blue.
      Thoughts for you voters.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 13, 2014 at 12:44 am
    • It looks like at least part of the roof will be metal – hopefully the light gray that resembles the original galvanized.

Ralebird on January 14, 2014 at 6:26 am
    • I thought dark colors absorb heat; then they say white absorbs heat. Having blue would be different & it would stand out.

cucumberHOH on January 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm
    • Dark colors absorb heat, light colors absorb less heat. The color blue in the choices given would absorb quite a bit of heat as it is quite dark. Your electric bill for cooling a dark colored house would certainly stand out.

Windsmurf on January 13, 2014 at 2:46 pm
    • A dark blue house would certainly be unique in the neighborhood. ;) White, cream and pale green are certainly the predominant colors all around the lake. Maybe that has something to do with heat reflection and repelling wasps and mosquitos. ;)

Clive on January 13, 2014 at 3:04 pm
  7. Figure the the porches will be lost during the move??? Hope that upstairs gets a high velocity mini split because it will get plenty HOT!!! up there in the summer time. Guessing some of those interior walls are coming down and possible flipping and switching of spaces will take place. Interesting to see what you do with the fireplace. AHEM….. guessing that might've come in handy this past week?????? Some people were probably freezing their Oranges off? OOOPS was I not supposed to say that???

Ashtabulannie on January 11, 2014 at 2:36 am
    • I agree but, Don't forget you have windows. When I been there it has had breezes cool nights , plus I'm sure they will use the newer product to keep the home comfortable

Denise_D._ on January 11, 2014 at 8:56 am
    • This is a test Hokiemom, none of my blog posts to this blog today and my posts from last night are here so I'm trying this one to test it. And I wrote a note asking people to be nice and not do thumbs down on people too. I think my posts on this blog are being blocked for some reason.

minitoni on January 11, 2014 at 3:35 pm
  8. I'm trying to figure out why they are moving the house, they didn't say? I want to make a comment though I think they need to figure out where to put the wagon wheel and the two black cats from the front of the house. there's gotta be a story behind em ? anyone know? even if its in the garage but I'm sure they can come up with something creative.

nobaloney on January 11, 2014 at 2:42 am
    • They may have been packed up with the furniture and other items from the house. They may have to leave the old lot clean after the move, depending on the new lot owners or builder.

Denise_D._ on January 11, 2014 at 8:59 am
    • They're moving the house because they got a large piece of lakefront to put it on. The existing location has a road out front with a double yellow line down the middle so it may have transitioned from residential to commercial.

Ralebird on January 14, 2014 at 6:29 am
    • The house, presently, is on a postage stamp-sized lot with roads back & front. It's a historically important house but has been swallowed by encroachment from other houses and light industry. Moving it and renovating it is going to preserve the bones of the house for many years and provide a fantastic vacation home. :)

AnniesOwn on January 14, 2014 at 11:17 am
  9. I didn't realize that we were being "graded"!

nobaloney on January 11, 2014 at 2:44 am
  10. Ok, heres my best floorplan which is a relatively feasible undertaking that should leave the home with "most bang for the buck",very efficient in amount of labor not so time consuming or overly done,giving the home maximum impact upon completion of the remodel.Walls to be removed are the most important step to consider there and as long as the load-bearing can be balanced this will augment and brighten-up the space,utilizing present utility locations.Keep in mind that countertops,bath fixtures,new cabinents,laundry machines,light fixtures,stove,fridege,new trim and drywall is going to make the place "catch-up" after the demo and the quality and cost for these items are well worth the hefty price tags.

OhioGuy74 on January 11, 2014 at 5:58 am