Jan 10

Explore the Existing Floor Plan

Happy Friday, everyone! This week has just been full of treats here on the blog. First, the People’s Choice vote launches, and now … the existing floor plan is here! For me, it’s hard to really understand the layout of a home through images. Now, you can really comprehend what the home looks like and make your predictions on what’s to come in the renovation. Project manager Dylan Eastman shares his commentary and unnoticed details throughout the floor plan “tour” to help you all navigate.

Dylan Eastman Chris GrundyProject manager Dylan Eastman and tool expert Chris Grundy on site at Blog Cabin 2014.

Dylan Eastman Chris GrundyDylan and Grundy scoping out the home’s floor plan.

Check out the original floor plan >>

What do you think is changing? Share your renovation dreams with everyone.

• Posted at 1:32 pm on January 1, 2014

1. Love this little bungalow! Excited to see how the votes go & what surprises the team has in store for us!
    I adore the bead board, glass door knobs, ironing board(although I'd appreciate it better in a laundry room as opposed to the kitchen).
    I'm hoping to see them expand this treasure into a 3-2.5, at least. Three bedrooms, a master with en suite, guest bedroom with en suite and a third that could double as an office… powder room for dinner guests would complete the package. As long as I'm dreaming!
    The widows walk is a perfect retreat or for the master (drool!)…I'm also looking for a mud room, full wrap around porch, gourmet/cook's kitchen with a pantry, laundry/craft/sewing room, media & great rooms. A girl's gotta have a place to watch her DIY & HGTV shows!
    Just saying ;-)
    Suggestions for an outdoor shower are a must have…lol!
    I've got my fingers crossed they repurpose some of the building materials for an outdoor garden space…this bungalow just screams,"grow your own tomatoes & can them, in here!"
    Totally agree with the blogger who posted on the exterior color! I like the light green…understated and fits with the other homes :-)
    Happy voting all & GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE (especially me…tee hee!)

TJwillwin on January 15, 2014 at 1:45 pm
  2. I am always so impressed with the creativity and talent that goes into your blog cabins. Since voting I have noticed that the winning siding is leaning toward the blue or the green with identical floor plans. I have been voting for the yellow primarily because I prefer that floor plan. I am sure it will spectacular either way.

Laurel Helgeson on January 15, 2014 at 3:51 pm
    • The vote is for the siding color only, it will not change the floor plan. Also, the drawings are of the same house, just from different sides, and may not be exactly the same as the finished plans in any case.

Mimitheminer on January 15, 2014 at 4:34 pm
  3. Are you going to change the basement entrance, by enlarging that section to encompass it indoors. With it being in Florida, who wants to go outside in the rain to enter the basement or are you just putting a raised foundation with no basement?
    The old home has good bones to work with.

Nancy on January 15, 2014 at 3:52 pm
  4. A couple questions: This has probably been covered already (if so, I can't find the post), but is Lake Hamilton a good swimming lake, or is it primarily best for fishing?

Also, are the canals that connect the adjacent "chain" lakes navigable by small boats? Looking at the aerial/satellite photos, the canals appear to be very narrow, shallow, and possibly controlled by small dams. It appears that the three "Hamilton" lakes are connected by navigable canals, but maybe not the other connected lakes.

RLDorf on January 15, 2014 at 4:43 pm
    • One word – gators! ;)

AnniesOwn on January 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm
    • So much for sitting at the end of the dock with my feet dangling in the water!

RLDorf on January 15, 2014 at 4:58 pm
    • Sorry thought I was reply to your question….my reply is below your comment.

LRN on January 15, 2014 at 5:31 pm
    • According to the Winter Haven lakes map, I should be able to take my 16' Tracker fishing boat all the way from Lake Hamilton to Lake Winterset at the SE end of the south chain. I'd better bring plenty of extra gas, though….looks like a long adventure. There is only one canal that is questionable early in the trip where a "future lock" is identified.

RLDorf on January 16, 2014 at 12:07 pm
  5. the City of Winter Haven does have a map of area lakes and the amenities at the lakes. I've copied the web address for a PDF map and pasted it here. The canals can be small or not accessible if the water levels are low. Hope this helps answer your question! ;-) http://www.mywinterhaven.com/documents/comm_srvs_

LRN on January 15, 2014 at 5:28 pm
    • Thanks…exactly the info I wanted.

RLDorf on January 15, 2014 at 5:34 pm
  6. I can't wait to start entering!!!! Looks like another stunner!!!!!:)

nanwes on January 15, 2014 at 5:32 pm
    • Is there a cam that you're viewing? Or, are you actually near this property?

Trish on January 15, 2014 at 7:12 pm
  7. Love it all,
    here is to luck and fate! whoever wins must invite me for the weekend,lol!!

marilyn stanphill on January 15, 2014 at 7:24 pm
  8. dang everybody! the paint colors are in a dead heat of 40% to 41%. I HAVE to vote 10 times! I'm trying to get my all time favorite color! I have to say though I did pick the windows that are loosing. If you look to the house they show in the picture the windows look so pretty! Oh, well, prarrie it is I guess, ttyl

nobaloney on January 16, 2014 at 12:08 am
  9. I think the front porch will be opened up and extend the length of the front porch. The sunroom will bring in more light with ceiling to floor windows. The living room and dining room will be opened up to create a more open floor plan, while the breakfast nook room will be eliminated but the concept will be blended into a larger eat in kitchen: complete with large bay windows surrounding a large eat in table.I believe the bathroom will be opened up and made larger with a brilliant claw-foot tub that opens to a bay window behind it (with a privacy curtain for the window). The two bedroom home will be converted to aI three or four bedroom with the master bedroom being the upstairs bedroom that keeps the vast window scheme and adds a luxurious master bath that is also filled with natural light. The fireplace in the living room will be made grander and one will be added to the master bedroom.

dsterli9 on January 16, 2014 at 12:40 pm
  10. The second bedroom (room #7) has too many doors. I'd close off all but one. I would also move the closet to another wall, so it could be made bigger………….and then give that extra space to the bathroom.

Does what I am assuming is the master bedroom (room #3) closet really need two doors?

AlainaMacGaren on January 16, 2014 at 1:33 pm
    • If the walls those doors are in are removed to make a great room, the doors will be unnecessary.

Ralebird on January 16, 2014 at 2:35 pm
    • where would the bedrooms be then?

AlainaMacGaren on January 17, 2014 at 11:37 pm
    • One would be upstairs, another one or two maybe in the area which is now the back porch. Both these areas appear to be expanded in the renderings shown for siding color selection.

Ralebird on January 18, 2014 at 12:01 am