Jan 10

Explore the Existing Floor Plan

Happy Friday, everyone! This week has just been full of treats here on the blog. First, the People’s Choice vote launches, and now … the existing floor plan is here! For me, it’s hard to really understand the layout of a home through images. Now, you can really comprehend what the home looks like and make your predictions on what’s to come in the renovation. Project manager Dylan Eastman shares his commentary and unnoticed details throughout the floor plan “tour” to help you all navigate.

Dylan Eastman Chris GrundyProject manager Dylan Eastman and tool expert Chris Grundy on site at Blog Cabin 2014.

Dylan Eastman Chris GrundyDylan and Grundy scoping out the home’s floor plan.

Check out the original floor plan >>

What do you think is changing? Share your renovation dreams with everyone.

• Posted at 1:32 pm on January 1, 2014

1. Thanks, Kayla. What a great Friday treat — Blog Cabin's original floor plans.

DBCoop on January 10, 2014 at 1:34 pm
    • Boy I'd love to draw up plans for changing this house, bet your have fun!

Anita Smith on January 18, 2014 at 4:55 am
    • there is space need to make 3 bed and guest only need 2 baths dining doesnt need to as big you cant cut around corners and the house so much more functional some ares are to big like we really need a kids bathroom you know they are going to mess them all up,lol to keeps its charm,i like the breakfast area and porch.

RONALE on January 19, 2014 at 3:04 pm
  2. Happy Friday Kayla and thanks so much for the floor plans! I have not seen them yet but wanted to wish you and all the bloggers a happy, warm and safe weekend!! <3

jchristie24 on January 10, 2014 at 1:50 pm
    • Thank you! Have a great weekend, too!

Kayla@HGTV on January 10, 2014 at 6:09 pm
  3. Great home full of character — and naturally time and weather worn.

I wonder if the the weather-damaged sunroom (originally a front porch) will survive the ride over to its new lakeside location or if it will be taken down prior to moving the home?

So much potential in this home, both for restoration and renovation. The upstairs widow's walk "observation deck" will be perfect for Lake Hamilton views and family living.

DBCoop on January 10, 2014 at 1:51 pm
    • If it is damaged past salvation, I'd not bother trying to transport it and just replace it with all new material. From what I can see it doesn't look to be in very good shape.

Eugenia27 on January 10, 2014 at 5:51 pm
    • I beleave someone mention they would like a bigger wrap around. If they that it off for moving reasons, it would give a design change to make it a better size. This may happen to the back porch too.

Denise_D._ on January 11, 2014 at 8:35 am
    • DB
      I agree I hope they keep and improve the "Widow's Walk" I love that and perfect for lake viewing:)

ruffybc on January 12, 2014 at 11:42 am
    • just checking to see if this posts to the blog DBCoop will check out new posting I'm still redlined up on my name so I don't expect it to post LOL

minitoni on January 27, 2014 at 8:44 pm
  4. I wonder if the existing room dimensions will be provided. That would certainly help in determining what is changing in the layout.

MAOW on January 10, 2014 at 1:52 pm
  5. I cannot wait to see the new floor plans and the end product !! The Widows Walk would make a Great Bunk Room, Media Room, or Guest Room !!!

gremol on January 10, 2014 at 2:01 pm
    • Well, it is certainly going to be expanded and there will be a bathroom up there, too. Whether it becomes a master suite or a family room/bunkroom we'll have to see, but it will definitely be about twice its original size – just look at the rendering for the siding color selection.

Ralebird on January 14, 2014 at 6:10 am
  6. I am so excited, I can't stand it……This original floor plan is great, looks like it might be possible to easily make this into an open floor plan….

twoTERRIERs on January 10, 2014 at 2:03 pm
    • The 'open floor plan' is a worn-out concept. Let's go back to having actual rooms in our homes.

AlainaMacGaren on January 17, 2014 at 11:33 pm
    • Hi Alaina,Hum…..I am in Texas, and the home I am in is about 9 years old now……and is the only one in the neighborhood with an open plan……..curious which part of the country you are in……open plans are not common around here….in fact this house is the only one in the neighborhood with an open plan…which works great when I have company….they can be in the main living room, or in the dining area while I am busily preparing food when necessary…and we are still within easy contact….the space is about 1500 square feet……

twoTERRIERs on January 18, 2014 at 12:02 am
  7. I love looking at the floor plans and thinking about what I would do……

vagrammie3 on January 10, 2014 at 2:23 pm
  8. Thank you Kayla and Dylan ! It is wonderful to finally see the original floor plan. It was very difficult for me to pull those great pictures of the "old home" together, even with my imagination. This will definitely give me ideas for the "new" floor plan. This is very helpful and will give me all sorts of directions to go so I can envision my new blog cabin. Yes I said MY new blog cabin.Thank you both once again for giving us the floor plan. Hope you have a wonderful Friday and a beautiful weekend so we can meet once again on Monday with new questions and new ideas. Blessings to all and have a safe and happy weekend.<3xD YEE-HAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheri McNamara on January 10, 2014 at 2:48 pm
  9. I'm diggin' the sunroom, widows walk and wooden floors (love them), but the paneling has GOT to go. :)
    Thank you for the update, I've been anxiously waiting. have a wonderful weekend. God bless.

Bobbi Abbott on January 10, 2014 at 3:40 pm
    • I have a lot of that paneling in my house. I feel ya! Lol

Shara on January 10, 2014 at 5:10 pm
    • I'm a child of the 70's & 80's. Paneling EVERYWHERE! THE HORROR!!!!!!

Bobbi Abbott on January 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm
      Also have you noticed the ceilings? Some of them, at least one, has an "office" ceiling those "drop down" looking tiles. That is ugly and spells problems!

Kari on January 11, 2014 at 12:41 am
    • Just imagine opening them up so they can be higher ceilings. Those drop ceilings were probably installed to hide ducts for heating or a/c when it was installed (if it was installed) or maybe an 80's update LOL

minitoni on January 11, 2014 at 2:57 pm
    • Before I saw the Blog Cabin ceilings I had just told my husband that the ceiling in his parents old farm house had to go because it is EXACTLY the same. I cant stand it. lol

Bobbi Abbott on January 13, 2014 at 1:23 pm
    • Hi Bobbi, I totally agree that those ceiling tiles have got to go! They were the tile of the times in the late 50s and 60s but not now. They are sooo ugly. I remember my mom up in the attic putting in some insulation and she went right through it!! She really messed up her knee. Anyway even replacing that bit of tile stood out so hopefully that will show the awesome Grundy crew to look at new and better products. That was in Florida where I still live, about two hours south of the awesome Blog Cabin. That is going to be the best ever Blog Cabin, in my opinion and I truly want to win this one, like many people I'm sure.Have a great day Bobbi, it was nice "talking" to you.:D

Sheri McNamara on January 13, 2014 at 2:04 pm
    • This is Florida – think they'll spring for a cypress ceiling?

Ralebird on January 14, 2014 at 6:11 am
    • Would love it if they did. That would bring even more character to the house.

Deborah Maness on January 14, 2014 at 1:45 pm
    • Maybe paneling has to go, but I hope it's replaced with more wood – maybe whitewashed. So sick of drywall! The wood is part of the bungalow's rustic charm. I would love to see this beauty keep its stunning vintage Florida charm.

Angel on January 17, 2014 at 10:03 pm
  10. Yep, I could fall in love with this one, for sure, with all it's charm and character, and the lakeside location — oh so fine. Will be exciting to follow the progress of the renovation as the BC 2014 crew lays their magic hands to this project over the months ahead!

KarenNEOH on January 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm
    • I was surprised to see on the floor plans that the breakfast nook was separate from the kitchen. Perhaps it can be incorporated into the new larger kitchen…

Gail on January 11, 2014 at 12:32 am