Jan 7

People’s Choice Round One: Voting Starts Today!

Blog Cabin 2014 Construction Vote

Today’s the day you’ve all been waiting for. Starting today, you can begin voting for inside-out features for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin. You’ll have the opportunity to vote on the exterior siding color, window pattern, interior paint palette and the flooring installed throughout. Vote up to 10 times per day on DIYNetwork.com, and pin your favorite picks to Pinterest. I’m dying to know what you pick!

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 1:15 pm on January 1, 2014

1. I wonder why they don't try to refinish (or save) the wood floors in the homes, if they are in good shape? I would love to see them do that, then the home would have the wood floors of that time period. I know flooring is part of the building of these homes (sponsors), but they could put the new floors in the up stairs room where there was carpet or in rooms with other kinds of flooring. Then it would still be new floors in the home to cover that sponsor.
    Those wood floors looked nice in the living room I thought. Just my thoughts…

home_girl on January 8, 2014 at 10:57 pm
    • Hi home_girls so glad to see you on the blog.

vicki_in_Utah on January 8, 2014 at 11:32 pm
    • Oh burr home_girl, glad you made it through the cold. we had a cold blast in Nov -13deg at 9am, when I took the grand kids to school. School has never been canceled here for snow or cold. And we have had some very cold and snowy days. Did your water pipes freeze? I know that is always a issue around here.

So glad the BC is in a warmer place this year, and not up your way again LOL.

vicki_in_Utah on January 9, 2014 at 9:49 am
    • You know the "Rehab Addict" would have tried. Then again, sponsors make these networks and the sweepstakes stuff possible.

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 1:26 am
    • That's true… but still would be nice to see the old wood floors shine again… :-)

home_girl on January 9, 2014 at 3:29 am
    • yes and they would if given the chance. :)

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:35 am
    • Last year the floors looked good in the photos and everyone wanted them restored. However, when Dylan inspected them they were for the most part rotted or too far gone to save. The same was true for the 2011 BC. I'm wondering whether the same is the case here. Termites etc. and some previous sanding and refinishing may have reduced them to a state where it was impossible to refinish them again so a complete change was called for. I'm certain if they could be saved Dylan would have done so as it makes great DIY TV. The show is all about DIY house refurbishing so a 'how to' on refinishing floors would fit right in. That they haven't done this tells me that the floors were, unfortunately, not salvageable as floors. However, they may be able to use some boards elsewhere. :)

Clive on January 9, 2014 at 10:49 am
    • I agree saving the floors would be fantastic if they can….but they won't know what the real condition of the wood is until they get tearing into it. Well said Clive and home_girl.

LRN on January 9, 2014 at 3:29 pm
    • I agree with you. DIY is saving old homes why not save the old floors. It would be nice to see how the sponsors could make the transition between the new and old flooring. That would make all of us DIYers very happy, because I know that would be something I would do and want to know how to do.

Eugenia27 on January 9, 2014 at 6:04 pm
    • Eugenia I know I would too and sure there are many more that would too. Would be great to see how to marry old wood to new… would make for a great episode…

home_girl on January 10, 2014 at 12:10 am
    • When Sara Richardson did her Summer Cottage a few years back it contained wooden boards for walls and even on the ceiling in some rooms. It was a great look and common in cabins in this region (Great Lakes).

It would be nice if the BC could repurpose the wood floors in similar ways.

MAOW on January 9, 2014 at 8:16 pm
    • she is my all-time favorite designer on HGTV.

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 9:00 pm
    • I agree 100% AndreaMP. I really enjoy her shows…I enjoy her explanations, she's brief and thorough all at the same time.:)

Sheri McNamara on January 9, 2014 at 9:58 pm
    • My family is a big fan of I what I call her "Rust-Chic" barn and cottage remodels.

MAOW on January 9, 2014 at 11:45 pm
    • they might be able to use them somewhere else in the house like a headboard or making a table etc.

Erin on January 10, 2014 at 6:26 pm
    • Amen to saving the current floors!

Gail on January 12, 2014 at 4:20 pm
    • I believe Dylan's comments about termite damage and extensive the hurricane & water damage tell us why they will not refinish the nearly 90 yr old flooring. I'm still hoping that any parts that are good can be salvaged for other projects. :)

AnniesOwn on January 12, 2014 at 6:13 pm
  2. Whooo hoooo!! I love that the voting has begun and we have such great choices! For me I absolutely love the bamboo flooring! I thinkit will make the interior look more rustic and will be easy to take care of. Who wants to be cleaning when you could be out on a jet ski or on a boat roaring around the lake like Grundy did in his video!

I simply cannot wait so see the floor plans! I love the look of the outside of the house and what are they doing with the widow's walk?? A luxurious master suite or an awesome Mega Den?? Please DIY, floor plans, floor plans!! When do we get to see???? lol Ok, that is all……:p

jchristie24 on January 8, 2014 at 11:00 pm
    • I agree jchristie24, please floor plans early. It really helps with the voting. If we have a clear idea of where rooms, walls, doors and windows are going.

vicki_in_Utah on January 8, 2014 at 11:30 pm
    • Yes vickie_in_Utah! The sooner the better that we see the plans so we can really put our thoughts and our votes to the best look of the finished product!! :)

jchristie24 on January 9, 2014 at 7:40 pm
    • Both flooring choices make me think of flooring in a hot tropical area.
      The light reflecting soft shade of the oak, and the exotic look of the Bamboo.
      I like both choices!

I'm still voting for the light green siding, believing that shade of green would be a beautiful backdrop to the many shades of usually darker green tropical foliage, and blooming flowers.
      I like all three exterior siding colors though too.
      I wonder what would happen if there was a tie between the green & the blue exteriors …..they are running so close together!

Mel on January 9, 2014 at 6:20 am
    • Hi Mel!..I just voted and the soft green is on top! That is my fav choice but if the blue were to win, I would love that one too! I simply love the prairie window choice. It seems that those types of windows would let in more light and the viewing out at the lake or surrounding acreage much more clear and open. I am going to love everything that happens to the BC and I hope and pray that this will become my dream home come July!! <3

jchristie24 on January 9, 2014 at 7:32 pm
    • Howdy Jchristie I'm just in from work and voted myself.
      I did a big ole Yipppeee when I saw the soft green back in the lead….I don't remember ever seeing such an exciting back and forth battle over the lead position in a P/C vote before…
      These are major design choices…..windows and the exterior finish colors go such a long way in giving a home its curb appeal. I do like the blue, and the cream, I just like the soft green a bit more. I can already see the home nestled among beautiful plantings with the Live Oak trees dripping Spanish Moss in the background. It is going to be so beautiful. Best of Luck in the sweeps<3

Mel on January 9, 2014 at 8:29 pm
    • If only the oak floors could pull in the lead. lol
      I was happy about the green exterior too. :)

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 9:01 pm
  3. Haven't participated in this before, & was a little disappointed, not only in one of the choices, but in two of the displays — didn't feel they were pictured well enough for us to make an informed choice. Would have liked to have seen the actual color possibilities of the interior paint palettes — paint chips or something, rather than a room without specifics on colors (the groupings of colors, and/or the range of tones that might be included). The drawings of the exterior colors seemed very faint, & I didn't get the feeling that I was seeing the true colors. Window selection was all right. Neither flooring choice appealed to me. There should always be a choice of : "None of the above."

I also don't understand the point of voting 10 times in one day. How is it different if I vote once or 10 times when everyone else is doing the same thing?

just_lil_ole_me on January 9, 2014 at 12:02 am
    • You can click they hyperlink for more info on each of the choices. That may help your decision process.

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 1:22 am
    • I tried that, Andrea, but the links for the exterior house color only lead to what looks like some ads. Maybe my program isn't working correctly.

The palette links do work, so that was very helpful. (Hadn't tried those links before since the exterior paint one didn't work.) Haha – NOW the problem is, there are so MANY colors in each palette — some I would like to see used, some not. I don't think that the creators of this poll are really going to get good answers after all. Thinking they should put together sample rooms & invite comments on each.

Thanks for the reply!

just_lil_ole_me on January 9, 2014 at 2:32 pm
    • Hi
      I agree with the multiple votes-I do not get it. If you vote? why would you change your vote from one to the next? So if everyone gets one vote-we would get the same results?? Am I missing something?
      Who has time to vote 10X? It is more of a race than a choice?
      Only my humble opinion?o.0:S:x^_^

ruffybc on January 12, 2014 at 11:30 am
    • No, ruffybc, several of us have already pointed out that 10 votes is kind of, how do I word this kindly – ridiculous? I'm thinking that the more impassioned voters with time on their hands will wear out their 10 votes/day and the rest of us that can vote once or twice will suffer(!)
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 12, 2014 at 10:58 pm
    • It's so DIY can inflate participant numbers to impress people with their advertising. If the millions of votes each year in the HGTV sweepstakes each constituted a different person that would mean about 1/5 of the entire US population would have entered one or the other of the sweepstakes. Amusing but not realistic. ;)

AnniesOwn on January 13, 2014 at 1:33 am
    • Hi Wind Chime
      Well now that I have read Clive's and other comments on the bamboo floors I guess I will have to change my vote and maybe find time and do it 10X:<( yikes! We have so many good people on this blog that really know what they are talking about:>) I guess bamboo floors are not so good for many of the reasons mentioned in the comments. That is another reason people voting should read the comments and not just vote. You can learn a lot on this blog about home improvements and construction. That is one of the reason I so enjoy this blog, along with the people that comment on a regular basis. I have no problem picking up a paint brush to change the colors-again I wish they had more and better choices-not the end of the world:>)<3

ruffybc on January 13, 2014 at 8:58 am
  4. I love all the choices but think for the exterior, the pale green is a better shade than the darker blue. Normally I LOVE blue but that shade wasn't right. We'll see if the green will pull ahead. And the bamboo flooring, yikes, way too busy and is it stronger than oak? I'm so glad the "traditional twist" colors are not in the lead. lol :D

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 12:26 am
    • Andrea there is a real battle over the exterior siding color.
      I'm voting for the soft green too. I think that color would nestle the home so well among its natural setting, and look perfect with Florida's tropical foliage. I've always loved the look of a home that blended in well with it's natural surroundings.
      If the shade of blue was more like the shade of water, or the sky I would have a heck of a time picking between the blue or the green!

Mel on January 9, 2014 at 6:45 am
    • Agreed, Mel. I have seen a few "blue" homes in beach front communities that are stellar. There's a community in Norfolk VA called "East Beach" and they have all sorts of home colors there but my favorite in that lot is a true blue (almost dark blue) with white trim- just gorgeous. However, that's Virginia, this blog cabin is in Florida on a lake and the "blue" choice just wasn't the greatest, in my humble opinion. I hope green can take the lead and win. :)

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:39 am
  5. On the flooring, Does anyone know if the flooring choice is engineered flooring or SOLID wood flooring? Solid wood floors will last a lifetime, not the engineered wood flooring. I had engineered wood floors in my previous home and it was a train wreck, never again. My builder (and many today) offered a hardwood flooring option (which I chose) but the wood was engineered. Hard lesson learned. Problems w/engineered wood floors are, they're not strong. I had divots on mine from high heels on shoes (normally I did not wear shoes in my house but even a few times or having guests over, made divots in the flooring.). And any water on those engineered floors will warp the wood and ruin the finish. I had a leak under the sink in my powder room right after home inspection, so by the time I moved in, the whole floor in that room and then some had to be replaced. A few years later I had a back flow incident, and the whole ground floor had to be replaced. With solid wood, all it would have needed was a good cleaning – or worse case, needed to be refinished. You can't refinish engineered wood flooring. SO… I hope whatever flooring wins over on the blog cabin, it's solid wood and not engineered.

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 12:49 am
  6. The "more info" link on the oak flooring says the oak is solid (vice engineered), so solid is good. :D

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 1:19 am
    • there was not a lot of detail on the bamboo flooring however.. :|

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:40 am
    • Lumber Liquidators says that the tiger stripe bamboo floor can't be re-stained lightener or darkener. It has to remain that color. They also say that is must be refinished by a professional because of it's construction (a mix of natural and carbonized bamboo that has different hardhesses and fiber orientations) and that it shouldn't be used in bathrooms, kitchens or laundry rooms as it can't withstand prolonged exposure to water or humidity. It's about the same hardness as the white oak (as others have said).

DannyF on January 9, 2014 at 1:04 pm
    • Thanks DannyF. It's early but it looks like the bamboo flooring is going to win. I just don't understand the popularity- even if just by looking at the two choices. Oh well. I'm sure the home will be gorgeous as all the previous ones. :)

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 9:04 pm
  7. So, I'm curious, why not the cream color? It is SO HOT there, I feel like the darker homes get a lot of heat gain, that's why most people there go for the lighter color. BC2012 was green, so I don't really want to see another green BC. I love the prairie windows. Other than sponsorship, is there a reason why the original floors can't be restored? I think the oak looks very light, and the bamboo looks ultra busy, when the focus should be on the views, not on the busy floor. I like the neutral palette for the same reasons. Just my 2 cents! :) Hope everyone had a great holiday, and has managed to stay warm!

MGYinSC on January 9, 2014 at 6:37 am
    • MGYinSC, I was leaning toward the cream color at first too but it's more yellow than cream, no? Since I have a yellow home, I wanted something different. LoL. And I'm not sure if it's still true, but I always heard yellow homes sell quickly because the color is so inviting. I just thought the pale green was soothing, fresh, and would blend well in the surroundings. On the flooring, yes, agreed, if it's a rebuild, why not try and refinish the flooring? We don't see what the builder sees, up close and personal though. And hopefully the original floors will be re-purposed or at the very least salvaged. LOVE those prairie windows too!! Stay warm!

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:46 am
    • That is the artists rendering with digital color. I do not believe the actual color is that lemony.

grammagail on January 9, 2014 at 3:20 pm
    • I completely agree. That's why I've voted for the cream/yellow exterior. It's cheery & light-reflecting. The blue is pretty & would be all right as a second choice, but seems more New England-y to me than something from Florida. The green is just dreary.

just_lil_ole_me on January 9, 2014 at 2:40 pm
    • Dreary is what I thought of the blue tone offered too. I normally love blues but green is good too. I voted for the green because I have a yellow house and wanted something different. Silly, I know. :)

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 9:07 pm
  8. I have to say, this is fun. I didn't think it would be so hard to choose. I like all of the options. Really hard to narrow it down to one when you have so many great choices.

CheleRS3 on January 9, 2014 at 7:07 am
  9. Good morning from Winter Haven! Hope everyone is starting to thaw out a bit – we had our own version of the Polar Vortex down here with two days of sub-40 temps. The wind was our worst issue, driving the chilly temps even lower. My hubby has an outdoor job (garden center @ Lowes) and he was not too thrilled. Being an Ohio transplant, it was not too bad to me – much better than what the rest of you dealt with.

I loved all of the choices for the first round of voting and tried to take the new lot into consideration when voting. I see that I am in the minority on the tiger bamboo, but it was so pretty I could not resist. I thought that the neutral palette was just a little too neutral so went with the Traditional colors which will work great with the blue exterior I selected. (I know, blue?? It was my gut decision. I would change the color on my 1952 house from white to blue if I had the means.)

Cannot wait to see what happens next – hope to see some of the DIYers when they finally arrive.

Paula Klug on January 9, 2014 at 7:10 am
    • Paula, so good to see another Winter Haven local here. Please stay with us and keep us updated on the local everything.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on January 12, 2014 at 11:03 pm
  10. It's so nice to day dream about sunny FL with all this frigid cold up in MI…thank you DIY for keeping my mind occupied :)

Behappy0230 on January 9, 2014 at 9:42 am