Jan 7

People’s Choice Round One: Voting Starts Today!

Blog Cabin 2014 Construction Vote

Today’s the day you’ve all been waiting for. Starting today, you can begin voting for inside-out features for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin. You’ll have the opportunity to vote on the exterior siding color, window pattern, interior paint palette and the flooring installed throughout. Vote up to 10 times per day on DIYNetwork.com, and pin your favorite picks to Pinterest. I’m dying to know what you pick!

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 1:15 pm on January 1, 2014

1. Can we vote at hgtv.com also?

mjaynestra on January 8, 2014 at 11:27 am
  2. Love the hobnail milk glass light fixture! I collect hobnail, I hope they leave it in the home.

Behappy0230 on January 8, 2014 at 11:37 am
    • I never cared for them myself.
      Tell you what… if they do, & I win it (lol) I'll let you have it! :)

Kari on January 8, 2014 at 3:48 pm
  3. I really wish ya'll would get Nicole Curtis from Rehab Addict involved in the Blog Cabin project. She is wonderful with the woodwork and keeps the home's charm in her projects. Continue to keep bath crashers and kitchen crashers in thoses areas though for the clean, modern, updated looks.

kconatser on January 8, 2014 at 11:45 am
    • Hi kconatser- This is only a wild guess but I see Nicole up north where she comes from , Michigan, Minnesota etc, cold country. She really seems to have her heart in revitalization, improving many of those old neighborhoods she grew up in and around. It looks like the people in those areas really cheer her on. She does amazing, heart-felt work in these homes. She takes it all very personal. Again that's a guess but all of the various crashers love improving blog cabins and the challenges that the BC's entail. I see them as different worlds. I don't know? What do you bloggers think?<3:D

Sheri McNamara on January 9, 2014 at 9:44 pm
  4. Love the blue for the house makes it feel warm and cozy,but i just cant help it i know i wont win i live in Tampa.Our family lives in a apartment,love the location stay close to my daughters DRs.4 year cancer survivor with disabilities she always wanted a house she is 14 she seen the house and land and said oh mommy its breathtaking,she loved the house the it was.But if at 9 you go through that,you see beauty others cant see.My hero my son he is amazing big brother.This is a escape we need a sense of peace,not in Tampa good luck on that,lol.Everyone have a great day!!!!!!!

RONALE on January 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm
  5. Thanks. I put my first votes in today.

dreamn_again on January 8, 2014 at 2:24 pm
  6. Before voting on these and future options I really would like to learn/know more about these Florida 1920's bungalows. Hey bloggies can we find some more links to see what traditional colors, were promoted back then? I suspect vinyl linoleum was a big product back then??? (Asbestos impregnated of course?) What did they use for siding? Did they use lots of brite colors for inside walls? Orange, Teal? Is this build intended to be a homage to 1920's Florida History? Learning experience? Or rather an appeal to the widest audience and sponsor products=neutral beige, ? Help us understand what the decor was like back in the 20's. After all you spent so much time and effort on the built in ironing board I just assumed that this was going to be a testament to this time period? Confused, but hope to learn more.

Ashtabulannie on January 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm
    • Having lived and worked in the area there are amazing examples of historic homes and yes even our little BC bungalow style. The Cities of Bartow (City of Oaks and Azaleas) and Lake Wales (check out Bok Gardens) are two local small cities with beautiful examples of structures that are restored along with those in disrepair. Lots of white, wooden clapboards houses (I was amazed but remember the wood was old growth), Dade Heart Pine floors absolutely beautiful (harder than iron – but old growth is extinct), even some with wood shake roofs! Northern Transplants of the period wanted to bring similar homes to their new "Winter Havens" (sorry couldn't resist!). I believe our little BC has roots to the Orange Industry in the area, Polk County is the heart of citrus in Florida. I would love to see them incorporate Citrus related Advertising Art (framed reproductions) of the period into the finished interior. They honestly were artists back then and what a feeling I believe it would bring to the bungalow.

LRN on January 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm
    • Maybe the "American Pickers" guys can find some local signage from the 1920's and restore it for the BC. How awesome to have that on the wall of the sunroom.:D

AnniesOwn on January 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm
    • Wow, great idea. Some orange juice commercial or something refering to the everglades, lakes, Florida vacations, sun and fun etc. would be fantastic. I'm sure the Blog Cabin designers could incorporate it into the decor. :D

DannyF on January 8, 2014 at 5:54 pm
    • Orange Crate Art! The big labels that were glued to the ends of the old wooden orange crates with great pictures of the fruit and the area. Also a great song by Brian Wilson about growing up in the 1950's.

Ralebird on January 15, 2014 at 6:22 am
    • I agree AnniesOwn, I love the American Pickers,they can find anything.

vicki_in_Utah on January 8, 2014 at 6:02 pm
    • OMG your comments and suggestions are spot on. Thanks for sharing. This is what I'm talking about. Pine floors seem to represent a more authentic replacement than bamboo?? Non??? Oak a close second? These are the things I would like to know prior to voting. Thanks LRN! Love your poster art idea. Brilliant.Sent from my iPho

Ashtabulannie on January 8, 2014 at 4:22 pm
    • When did they make the Flipper tv show?

cucumberHOH on January 8, 2014 at 5:37 pm
    • Flipper-My favorite tv show as a kid mid to late 1960's as I recall. Inspired me along with Cousteau to study and become a marine biologist. Love your moniker. Cucumber HOH does that refer to hydroxide groups?? chemistry joke??? Sent from my iPhone

Ashtabulannie on January 8, 2014 at 5:48 pm
    • glad to see you up and running…

twoTERRIERs on January 8, 2014 at 5:52 pm
    • Thanks 2terriers. Been busy as you know. Too dang cold to go outside. I've cleaned all the closets and most of the basement. Got all my records in order for tax filing. Now it's time to be a trouble maker on these blogs. Gosh I hope it wasn't something I said that made Mary leave???? Lolol. I'm sure she moved on to bigger and better. I try to behave but it is not my nature.Sent from my iPhone

Ashtabulannie on January 8, 2014 at 6:03 pm
    • I am a third generation Floridian – great grandparents moved to Fl after the Civil War from Georgia. Logging and then citrus were the main industries before tourism. This bungalow takes me back to the 50's and my childhood memories. I grew up in central Florida and my dad was in the citrus business. While I doubt this will be a true "restoration", I think they should try to stay true to the character . No bamboo or neutrals please. I remember white and pastel houses with interiors more traditional. Linolieum floors. Concrete planters outside and carports. Nice memories.

southmeadowfarm on January 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm
  7. I will always pick Oak before anything else, however if looking for a green product I would choose
    bamboo. That was before I started looking to buy. I decided on bamboo or cork but couldn't find
    anything I liked, so I had to pick something else. I was wondering which flooring is good for pet
    nails. I keep them short, but while I am in the changing mode I could use that help!!!

SandyLA on January 8, 2014 at 3:07 pm
    • If you want an place to start researching the pro's & cons of bamboo flooring here's a site that may help. http://bambooflooringreviews.org/?p=56

I believe that as with so many things there are many versions and many manufacturers. If you know the questions to ask them it may help. Remember, bamboo isn't wood. It's a hollow-stemmed grass that requires a lot of processing to produce boards. That processing is very energy consuming and environmentally polluting. It requires large areas of monoculture that are almost devoid of other animal and plant life. Native forests are destroyed to produce bamboo so the eco-friendly part of bamboo is, mostly, hogwash. Bamboo can make great flooring but to say it's 'better' or 'greener' than alternatives is probably incorrect. However, if you like it and you don't believe it costs jobs in the US then go with what you like.

Clive on January 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm
    • Sorry, I should add that this site is a counter argument to bamboo floors and should be read in context i.e. together with the positive comments from the manufacturers. Check the guarantees that come with any flooring. Do they specify the finish in the warranty. Does it include color change due to sunlight etc. Many 25, 35 even 50 yr warranties are only on the installation and don't cover the finish, shrinking, swelling or fading color. That's not just for bamboo but for all flooring. o.0

Clive on January 8, 2014 at 3:35 pm
    • Thank you Clive, I like what you said because it all makes sense. You have helped me more than you know!!!

SandyLA on January 10, 2014 at 11:21 pm
    • I have bamboo now and prefer oak. Bamboo shows scratches and certainly not dog friendly with their nails. Oak can be refinished.

SusiTx on January 17, 2014 at 8:40 pm
    • TY

SandyLA on January 18, 2014 at 3:10 pm
  8. so far I don't realy think that there is anything that doesn't look good.

Steele71 on January 8, 2014 at 3:26 pm
  9. There are some great choices!
    They are all of comparable aesthetic appeal so anyway the vote goes the results will be great!

That said, I have my favorites too.
    Love the prairie windows! Hope they win. They feel a little more open and not quite as common as the other.

There was a comment made that they should only be in brown houses because that was where they were commonly seen. Ridiculous! Even if that is true (I do not know either way, nor do I care) to let that kind of convention to be a limiting factor!
    (I respect that everyone IS entitled to their own opinion. I'm just not sure that sighting convention is a way of actually forming one of your own or letting others form theirs.) *Sorry, didn't mean to rant.

Speaking of paint colors… I wish they showed actual samples of the siding color combinations. It IS nice to see the renderings, but…

The flooring has had many comments.
    Personally while I like local products (no guarantee the oak would be "local"). I do not like pale floors and the oak pictured looks VERY pale. I prefer dark or at least medium colored wood.
    That said I do like this stripy bamboo, dramatic and interesting!
    I do agree that the sustainability of the wood is probably more than cancelled out by the carbon footprint of the shipping etc.

As for the interior paint… it really depends on the colors chosen within the palette and how they are applied. Most of the colors are really very similar.
    I liked many of the color combinations of the "neutral" one especially the cover picture, but it seems as if the "traditional" one had the possibility for more contrast. I do not care for the cover picture for it but, the other pictures in the details section are better (favorite one is the one with the black paint, doubt they would do that here though).

Those were all the choices I recall off hand.
    I know we all have our favorites!
    (Come on prairie windows! Come on Bamboo floors! lol)
    I'm on the edge of my seat to see what wins, to see what choices are next, to see ANYTHING from the site!
    I was to see prep pictures!
    I want to see floor plans! (even just the existing plan,I do not want to rush the new if it isn't ready!)
    I want to see the house move! (That will be exciting but, the rest will help us wait)

ps we want decks & screened in porches (or at least the existing porch/sunroom with the wall to wall to wall to wall windows that can open (with screens :) ) I can't imagine living somewhere like that and not want the option of feeling like you are outdoors, but being in a bug free zone.(I don't understand why designers do not seem to think they are a plus?

That's enough of a ramble for now! :D

Kari on January 8, 2014 at 3:46 pm
    • check out coming attractions

cucumberHOH on January 8, 2014 at 5:38 pm
  10. From the sketches, not the design I thought of. Bungalow to Ranch. They depict green in the blog photo & green has always seemed to be a favorite among the voters. Maybe they have to choose from the neighboring areas for color choices/ or no twinkies. I thought of bold/colorful for a lake front property. Maybe they'll have an orange shaped mailbox. Dark or light wood tones or mix & match . Both color palates have some nice hues. Decisions. decisions, decisions.

cucumberHOH on January 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm