Jan 7

People’s Choice Round One: Voting Starts Today!

Blog Cabin 2014 Construction Vote

Today’s the day you’ve all been waiting for. Starting today, you can begin voting for inside-out features for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin. You’ll have the opportunity to vote on the exterior siding color, window pattern, interior paint palette and the flooring installed throughout. Vote up to 10 times per day on DIYNetwork.com, and pin your favorite picks to Pinterest. I’m dying to know what you pick!

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 1:15 pm on January 1, 2014

1. Love the choices and I seem to be in with the popular choices too. Bamboo flooring looks awesome. Love the character of the windows too. With the views in the upper part of the house you want stylish windows. Can't wait to get inside for voting.

Robin Marshall on January 8, 2014 at 8:02 am
    • I like the choices too :) … I did vote for the Bamboo, but in the back of my mind I can't help but remind myself that I know how "soft" that flooring is … if you have dogs – be prepared! It will be scratched up before you know it … If you can run with the "it adds character" theory – you are golden … otherwise, might be time to switch the voting up … i might … but DARN … it is so BEAUTIFUL!!!

CreativeGraf on January 8, 2014 at 9:06 am
    • Bamboo is not soft.
      At least not if it is the right stuff. There are many varieties and not everyone is reputable.
      If it is the good stuff, grown 5-6 years (peak density) it is harder than most hardwood and thus more durable. Some people sell the immature bamboo which is soft. I would hope the team would know to get the good stuff.

Bamboo averages 25 percent harder than red oak and 12 percent harder than North American maple.

Kari on January 8, 2014 at 4:22 pm
    • You're correct, bamboo, if manufactured properly from older plants, is quite hard. Although it can be a lot softer if not made to the highest standards.

On the janka hardness scale bamboo ranges from 1180 (carbonized horizontal) to around 1380 (natural) which is almost identical to white oak (1360). Red oak (1290) and beech (1300) are close to the hardest bamboo too. Maple (1450) and hickory (1820) are considerably harder and all these N. American woods are, arguably, just as eco-friendly/green as bamboo.

If you like the bamboo then vote for it. If you're looking for a new floor to your home and have concerns about other factors such as ease of re-finishing, 'greenness' and US jobs you may wish to consider other woods. It's just an opinion and nothing's right or wrong. Of one thing I'm certain, all new floors look fabulous. I've never seen one that didn't. :) :D^_^

Clive on January 8, 2014 at 4:46 pm
    • Yes, new floors look fabulous but longevity is not for all. Oak has proven to stand the test of time. I live in a 40 year old house my hubby grew up in and we had the floors refinished for the 1st time when we married and I moved in. There was a section of the floor at the bottom of our stairs to the basement that were black from water damage (wet towels being thrown downstairs for laundering over the years ???) – the black stain came right out after sanding and when the new stain was applied, they looked fabulous! I can't speak for bamboo, other than I don't care for that zany pattern in the picture. We shall see..:)

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:22 am
  2. Does anyone on the blog have bamboo flooring in there home? If so do you like them? I know it is "The Green" thing" . but I do not care for them. I don't like the wavy look or how easy they scratch. And for this house I think the Oak with fit with the time frame better. IMO.. Love that we are getting to vote.

vicki_in_Utah on January 8, 2014 at 9:35 am
    • Yes Vicki I have woven bamboo flooring. Wavy flooring makes me think of hand-scraped flooring? Some folks like hand-scraped because it hides scratches, dents, and the normal wear & tear imperfections any flooring will show in time.
      The Bamboo flooring up for vote is smooth, not hand-scraped. Maybe the stripes make the floor look wavy to you?
      My experience with Bamboo has been really positive. I've found it more resistant to dents and scrapes than my oak flooring. My Oak flooring is the highest grade LL offers, Bellawood.
      Maybe there are some other bloggers that have bamboo flooring? Or like me, have both oak and bamboo in their homes and know how both floors live and wear in the real world?

Mel on January 8, 2014 at 10:00 am
    • Thanks Mel, when we bought our house a few years ago it was a new build and had bamboo, I didn't like them and had them replaced. They were the hardest flooring to take care of, of any flooring I have ever had. But maybe it was just me. I know we are not restoring the BC just remodling, but I think the oak would be a better fit with the time the house was built. I am pretty sure there was not bamboo back then. JMO.

vicki_in_Utah on January 8, 2014 at 10:10 am
    • Vicki I clean both my oak and bamboo floors in the same manner, with Hardwood Floor Cleaner by Bellawood. I bought 2 cases last time LL put it on sell. It does a marvelous job<3
      I do think the bamboo flooring is more modern looking than the oak.
      I love both flooring types, that's probably why I put both in my home.

Mel on January 8, 2014 at 10:35 am
    • We have Morning Star stranded bamboo in our house, but a medium brown, more consistent style than that "nominated" for the BC. We love it, though ours was just installed in November/December. So far, it seems easy to keep clean.

RLDorf on January 8, 2014 at 11:19 am
  3. Kayla I have a question regarding what country the flooring originally comes from. I know it is my personal preference but I sincerely would hope that DIY and Scrips would look to USA Flooring Companies and not use wood that is grown and processed outside the USA. I realize Lumber Liquidators is a soponsor of the show but they must sell US manufactured products along with products from China and other countries. Thank you for your consideration.

LRN on January 8, 2014 at 9:46 am
    • Virtually all bamboo comes from China. If it's LL bamboo it comes from China. White oak can be sourced locally.

DannyF on January 8, 2014 at 10:48 am
    • I checked the Morning Star and LL sites for additional details on the bamboo and did not see any COO (Country Of Origin) listed. I would assume that if the product was Made In America it would be stated as a selling feature. Therefore, my assumption is that the bamboo is from Asia as well.

MAOW on January 8, 2014 at 11:04 am
    • Morning Star ins a Chinese company. :)

Clive on January 8, 2014 at 11:49 am
    • We have Morning Star bamboo in our house, though not the "bold" pattern suggested for the BC. Morning Star stranded bamboo comes from China.

RLDorf on January 8, 2014 at 11:15 am
    • If I knew something (building materials especially) was from China, I'd run the other way. Consider the horrors of Chinese drywall. Who knew at the time it was going up in homes what was lurking in the walls? Perhaps I'm sounding like an alarmist and comparing an apple to an orange in materials here, still I avoid "China" when at all possible. ;)

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:28 am
  4. HGTV, have you moved the house to it's new location yet? Any sneak peeks?

sand & surf on January 8, 2014 at 10:35 am
    • I'll be posting some info on the move very soon. Hang tight :)

Kayla@HGTV on January 8, 2014 at 10:46 am
    • Thanks Kayla for keeping us updated on the move!

grammagail on January 8, 2014 at 9:17 pm
    • I REALLY hope there will be thought put in for wider doorways and some accessibility on the ground floor for people who need to use wheelchairs…. the house may have been moved already, and Grundy's post on Facebook made me think work may have begun already, too. I was surprised to see the voting come up so soon.

LLColeman on January 10, 2014 at 5:02 am
  5. Was wondering if there was a goal to maintain the historical aspects of this old house. Can you provide some perspective/guidance regarding which products would be more in keeping with the historically correct vibe of this house? Like stone front steps would be more correct and of course hold up better in the weather??? than wood or perhaps a plastic composite? Would white trim dull and show mold? Please share some of the environmental issues typical to Florida that we might not be aware of in selecting our choices.

Ashtabulannie on January 8, 2014 at 10:36 am
    • Good morning! I'll get you some information on this. Adding to my to-do list :)

Kayla@HGTV on January 8, 2014 at 10:47 am
    • Thanks Kayla. Really looking forward to learning more about the history of these old homes. Structure, function, and residents. Also interested in learning more about early planned communities in that area. How did those early residents face hurricanes, stinking HOT summers, insects and gators? Hope you have some stellar interns to give you a hand in researching this stuff!!!! Your to do list might be longer than you alone can manage. Should I put in a word to your boss that you might need help? LOLOLO Hokiemom B)

Ashtabulannie on January 8, 2014 at 11:15 am
    • You can always store the 4×8 wood panel in the garage/shed for hurricane season. Your local library or internet or bookstore may help you with your questions.

cucumberHOH on January 8, 2014 at 5:23 pm
    • Oh good! That was a great question and I am also interested to learn more!

TwoCorgis on January 8, 2014 at 11:46 am
  6. Okay,the options I have selected are the most neutral/functional and these win every time.Light green exterior=soft and blends with/compliments landscape.Prairie windows=maximum view/panoramic.Neutral paint=non-distracting/calming.Oak floor/clear finish=Hard/durable/matches traditional style/not so busy looking/will unifiy the space better and will make space look larger/richer more expensive looking/best for American styling in good ol'south.

OhioGuy74 on January 8, 2014 at 10:53 am
    • You have great taste! Let's hope that those choices are the winners!! :D

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:30 am
  7. The choices I've made are subtle and with good reason.Arriving at this property I would expect a celebration of the landscape and views.Yes the home is there and is displayed prominently but gives it a chance for the anticipation to unfold/develop.The soft green will definitely give-off fresh clean hue.Color develops and performs somewhat with light changes for different feel at different times of the day.If you've lived in or near a similar colored home like I have,you would probably agree,especially at dusk when the lighter colors give off some warmth.This is what I tried to explain in my other blog.

OhioGuy74 on January 8, 2014 at 11:07 am
    • Ohio Guy, from my experience I would like a surface that doesn't show the mildew/mold. Or better yet does not allow those buggers to take hold. You will have to power wash the place eventually I am guessing. So a color that reflects heat, doesn't show mold on the shady side and is easy to power wash would be my first choice. Not sure what that is exactly???????

Ashtabulannie on January 8, 2014 at 11:23 am
    • A lot of fiber cement, like these selections, has mold resistant chemicals included in the formula. I would go with lighter colors for heat and insect repelling properties. Dark colors attract some insects as they offer hiding easier places (darker shaded areas) and more warmth. Isn't 'Boothbay' in Maine? How about a Florida-inspired light color. ;)

Clive on January 8, 2014 at 11:36 am
  8. I think we all are in for a real education regarding building products unique to the Florida =tropical environment. Molds, adore a hot tropical humid environment. They are highly efficient organisms and break down dead stuff. (Like wood) Don't know if you all have been reading about some of the wood products used in the re-builds down in New Orleans. Some of the new wood-products utilized are unfortunately breaking down prematurely due to the high humidity in that geographical area. Not to say that the products aren't good but just NOT for that particular location and purpose. But this build provides a unique opportunity to educate your viewers regarding products which hold up best in humid/tropical climates. Roofs and hot water heaters don't seem to last as long in Florida. Can't wait to learn more about hot products relevant to Florida house builds.

Ashtabulannie on January 8, 2014 at 11:09 am
    • Lawn Mover blades don't last as long in Florida either. My co-workers who live in Florida sharpen their blades annually.

It appears that the exterior will be made of a "Fiber Cement". More details are available by clicking the link included on the page where you vote for the exterior color.

MAOW on January 8, 2014 at 11:21 am
    • My husband sharpens his lawn mower blades annually too and we live in VA. But the 2 acres could have something to do with that too.. :)

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:32 am
    • You sound just like a great teacher I know!!! I like your sound!!!

SandyLA on January 8, 2014 at 3:00 pm
    • Sandy you got my number. I'm guilty.Sent from my iPhone

Ashtabulannie on January 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm
    • Hee hee ;-)

SandyLA on January 10, 2014 at 11:22 pm
    • yes i was definitely wandering about the materials and colors for florida due to mold, fading, etc; but i would think some of the new products would hopefully be more durable…..i did see a headline about the homes in New Orleans recently…

twoTERRIERs on January 9, 2014 at 12:45 pm
  9. So excited!!!! Yeah it has started!!! Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on January 8, 2014 at 11:12 am
  10. Wait until the lighting is turned-on for the first time inside and out and you'll see that place come alive with elegance.I would like to see some black lightposts or some things painted black like the original home has.

OhioGuy74 on January 8, 2014 at 11:22 am
    • I really liked the black edging too! Unfortunately it isn't one of the options we can vote for (sigh).

Kari on January 8, 2014 at 3:51 pm