Jan 7

People’s Choice Round One: Voting Starts Today!

Blog Cabin 2014 Construction Vote

Today’s the day you’ve all been waiting for. Starting today, you can begin voting for inside-out features for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin. You’ll have the opportunity to vote on the exterior siding color, window pattern, interior paint palette and the flooring installed throughout. Vote up to 10 times per day on DIYNetwork.com, and pin your favorite picks to Pinterest. I’m dying to know what you pick!

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 1:15 pm on January 1, 2014

1. I was so torn on the exterior colors – they were all beautiful! Windows and Interior colors were an easy choice for me, though the other options weren't terrible. I was disappointed that they went with that tiger stripe bamboo flooring as an option rather than a less busy bamboo, but it is popular these days.

After these sub-zero temps (and my garage door getting stuck in the open position this morning), I'm ready to move to Florida!

TwoCorgis on January 7, 2014 at 9:12 pm
    • I was torn also TwoCorgis! My first vote was for the blue – because, with all the rain down here, if the home doesn't have gutters, the debris that will run off the roof will quickly soil the paint color on the lighter choices … but then I changed my vote to neutral, because I imagined seeing it off the lake as we pass by on the boat … that bright and cheery cream would be beautiful too … Geez! I'm having too many disagreements with myself – in my own head! LOL … I guess it will make it all that more exciting to see the final results! How Fun!

CreativeGraf on January 8, 2014 at 9:11 am
    • Hey it's pretty cold here. Monday night went to 28 degress w/ the chill factor and today is a little better. All in all, this kinda rare for Tampa and the surrounding area. Keep warm my friend.

sand & surf on January 8, 2014 at 10:38 am
    • Having lived in Florida for a short stretch I chose the Cream because the lighter the color the less heat absorption and the cooler the house. The darker the color the more heat retention and the harder it is to cool.

grammagail on January 8, 2014 at 10:48 am
    • Very good point.

I chose the Green color for the same reason. I was concerned about how warn the darker Blue home would get.

MAOW on January 8, 2014 at 11:06 am
    • The heat is a consideration – for the roof as well. Someone else mentioned that the darker color attracts bugs. I hadn't thought about that. I was more concerned about mold or mildew staining the siding. If the siding is resistant, I may need to rethink my vote!

TwoCorgis on January 8, 2014 at 11:49 am
    • I think if the siding is Hardie, then it should be worry free. But I agree on the color, lighter is better. I also chose the light green. The blue was not the "right" shade for me and too dark for FL waterfront living.

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 12:54 am
    • I agree, the blue is too dark for the heat of Florida. I chose the pale green because that seemed to be the lightest color (and I'm not that fond of yellow). Unfortunately, the blue color has edged ahead:p All of the coices are nice though so no real heartburn here. Not fond of the tiger stripe bamboo, it kind of looks like snakes crawling across the floor – I'd think I was suffering from the DTs:$

Windsmurf on January 8, 2014 at 12:37 pm
    • Windsmurf, I think yellow homes are charming but for me, been there,done that. :) And yes, the busy pattern of those bamboo floors is so out of bounds. :S

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:05 am
    • Not so in regards to that particular blue. Depending on the afternoon sun with the oak trees it will help to maintain the temperature and will not require alot of maintenance. That is why i didn't vote for the cream or the green the rain and maintainence will be constant in Florida weather.

pappysfav on January 16, 2014 at 7:25 pm
    • IMO, going for a trendy fad, when it comes to flooring, is just a big expense later on.
      With flooring, go with a classic that will last a life time. Get area rugs.

The tiger bamboo, IMO, is way too busy and will get old FAST.

Eugenia27 on January 8, 2014 at 4:59 pm
  2. Okay, four out of four last place choices, after casting my votes. I am tired of Tiger Bamboo flooring; all the rest are basically good options.

DGustaf on January 7, 2014 at 9:19 pm
    • Uh Oh Don, maybe you will do better in the next round ;)

It's nice to see you on the blog. I know it's miserably cold where you live, so try and stay warm.

Mel on January 7, 2014 at 10:07 pm
    • Hi Mel,

I like what I like; not gonna change my votes to satisfy the masses. Here's hoping the next round of voting offers something I like that the masses will agree with me on.

DGustaf on January 8, 2014 at 8:11 am
    • Hey Don, good to se you on the blog and that you're surviving this icy blast. Old Man Winter's in fine form this year to be sure. Our kids get to go back to school tomorrow after two ice days. Are the kids in your neck of the woods back or are they like those from 'Lake Woebegon', all above average and thermally insulated? Stay safe & keep a stick on the ice. :)

PS. I agree, bamboo's run it's course. There are so many beautiful American hardwoods that make excellent flooring and are just as eco-friendly, if not more so. ;)

Clive on January 7, 2014 at 11:01 pm
    • Hi Clive,

MN's Gov closed all schools on Mon. but left it up to each district on Tues. Metro schools will open today and most outstate will open, but 1-2 hours late today.

Monday, it was a bit nippy (-23 at 7 am) it took most of two hours to get the truck started for my daily pick-ups for the ReStore.

DGustaf on January 8, 2014 at 8:07 am
    • I'm "all grown up" but still get excited for "snow days" and "winter weather delays" for school. I can't wait for those with my child. LoL xD

AndreaMP on January 9, 2014 at 10:08 am
    • Don, do be careful driving your pick up routes and all the load and lift activity..< I am hinting to people this year that this winter it would be good to take low dose aspirin with water every night before bedtime– as a precaution for the old ticker.>.. I have family in Chicago and Indiana and they were hard hit; doing lots of shoveling after being snowed in a few days. B)

LLColeman on January 10, 2014 at 4:58 am
    • I am careful, dressed for the weather and willing to skip items that are too heavy or dangerous to move alone (though I do plan the right equipment for the heavy or unusual items before I drive out to the pick-ups, so I'm not leaving much behind).

DGustaf on January 10, 2014 at 7:59 am
    • Hi DGustaf:)
      We feel your cold here in Central NY:<( Now this week it is in the 40-50's and everything is melting and flooding!
      Take LL's advice and be safe-everyone:>) This severe cold is nothing to fool around with.
      I also agree with the Tiger Bamboo running it's course. As I said earlier I like color-not too dark or too light and of course, durable. I would like to see American made products when they can be.
      Stay warm-we are close to half way through winter?o.0:x

ruffybc on January 12, 2014 at 11:21 am
  3. HGTV's Kitchen Chronicles today has a beautiful retro kitchen (Credit: Photo by: David A. Land, styling by: Jennifer Berno: A Cottage for a Serious Chef — The buttery yellow cabinets, screened pantry door (from vintagedoors.com) and frilly ceramic hardware (Melon handles from anthropologie.com) pile on the charm. The countertop accessories, like an old metal box, add to the vintage vibe. ) that I think would look good in the new cabin. The screen door could replace the ironing board. The soft yellow is airy and cheerful.

patbar on January 7, 2014 at 9:53 pm
    • Thanks for the tip Patbar. What a beautiful retro kitchen design! I really like the color of the cabinets (sunny) and that bit of open shelving for cookbooks and the timeless subway tile backsplash.
      I hope this is the right link to photos of the kitchen you found http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/kitchen-chronicles-i

Mel on January 7, 2014 at 10:31 pm
    • Thanks for that look at a delightful kitchen. You are right, it would go very well with the time period of the cabin.
      It will be interesting to see if they have included any highlights in our kitchen voting.

grammagail on January 8, 2014 at 12:17 am
  4. Wow everything is looking so good. I can't wait to see the winners. I love the Oak Floors and the Prairie Windows. I love Florida and I have lived and lossed a lot in this state. I can't wait to see something beautiful happen here. I have rented my whole life and I would love to win this beautiful home right here in my own back yard. Good luck bloggers. I can't wait to see it come together.

April on January 7, 2014 at 9:56 pm
  5. Great choices. I really liked the bamboo flooring.

joyadams2014 on January 7, 2014 at 10:31 pm
  6. Yeah the voting has begun; I chose the prairie windows, the neutral paint for indoors and the tiger stripe bamboo floors and the oak ( loved both). If they could used a subtler tiger stripe it would be a better option than the darker version. The oak is also great; so whatever is chosen will be awesome. Just wish there was a wraparound porch. Can't wait to see how everything comes together.

NvbH on January 7, 2014 at 11:04 pm
    • with all the windows and sunshine it will be a beautiful home…..I like the neutral paint myself, classic, not as trendy….and may appeal longer….for example a cranberry red one year may be a let's move next year…

twoTERRIERs on January 8, 2014 at 12:43 am
    • AGREED! A wraparound porch would fit perfectly on this property!!! – with water views on one side, and grand ole oaks on the other … Hey – you never know … If it's not already in the plans, a porch isn't something too difficult to ad before the wrap on the show :)

CreativeGraf on January 8, 2014 at 9:08 am
    • The reason they don't seem to have a wraparound porch may be that none of the other lakeside properties have open, wraparound porches. Locals have said they don't do this because of the heat & bugs. The enclosed porch that Dylan has in this design looks much more in keeping with the other homes in the neighborhood and keeps the style of the original house with its sunroom and no big porches.:)

AnniesOwn on January 8, 2014 at 9:37 am
    • Good points. DYI may also be planning to add a pool and mesh enclosure as a substitute for a wrap around porch on the lower level.

I would still love to see a deck around the Widow's Walk. Sitting in a nice chair each morning, sucking down some OJ while watching the lake come to life each day, Perfect.

I guess we will learn more when the house plans are shared. Yesterday Kayla indicated they would be coming soon.

MAOW on January 8, 2014 at 10:32 am
  7. Glad this time of the year is finally here. I love voting on the cabin. I like 2 of the choices that are ahead but I do not like the bamboo flooring or the neutral interior colors. The floor looks like it has dried and peeled while the interior paint has no life to it. At least with the traditional colors there is some life and contrast.

Therese of So Cal on January 7, 2014 at 11:36 pm
    • I agree. There are plenty of neutral colors in the traditional along with some blues and reds.

NancyBee on January 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm
    • colors on a palette that you're not sure of, often look better on the finished product.

cucumberHOH on January 8, 2014 at 4:11 pm
  8. Here !! Here !! Therese of So Cal, I do not like the neutral colors either !! Give me some lively color !!

gremol on January 8, 2014 at 12:19 am
  9. Looking at the pictures again, looks like the front entry will be coming into the dinning room area. If that's so does it mean there will be no dinning room? or will they be removing the breakfast nook and putting it there? I thought the nook would be part of the kitchen making that room larger.
    I can't wait to see the floor plans to see how all this works out… the fun is in helping them fix up this old home by voting for what we would like to see in or on this home…

home_girl on January 8, 2014 at 1:20 am
  10. WOW what a nice unexpected surprise. I love the praire grid windows the best.

Petraathen on January 8, 2014 at 1:33 am
    • I agree on the choices so far I do like the white oak floors better then the tiger stripe

Debbieox on January 19, 2014 at 6:14 pm