Jan 7

People’s Choice Round One: Voting Starts Today!

Blog Cabin 2014 Construction Vote

Today’s the day you’ve all been waiting for. Starting today, you can begin voting for inside-out features for this year’s DIY Network Blog Cabin. You’ll have the opportunity to vote on the exterior siding color, window pattern, interior paint palette and the flooring installed throughout. Vote up to 10 times per day on DIYNetwork.com, and pin your favorite picks to Pinterest. I’m dying to know what you pick!

VOTE NOW!

• Posted at 1:15 pm on January 1, 2014

1. In the exterior drawings it also appears that the Widow's Walk was extended and a portion covered (The right side on the front of the house). Closet? Bath? Given that the original home only had 2 bedrooms could DYI be adding a Master Suite with killers views?

MAOW on January 7, 2014 at 4:37 pm
  2. It would be nice if a deck could be added outside the Widow's Walk (Lake side or all around).

MAOW on January 7, 2014 at 6:11 pm
    • small walkout.

cucumberHOH on January 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm
    • Perfect. I'll take anything big enough for the telescope I'll use to check out activity on the lake.

MAOW on January 8, 2014 at 9:10 pm
  3. As currently selected, this home will be light green with prairie style windows. Most prairie style homes are brown/tan so I not sure about prairie style windows with this color of the home.

It would be nice if the color of the home was finalized first, then the windows. By selecting both at once the two may not necessarily go together. .

MAOW on January 7, 2014 at 6:24 pm
  4. Yeah!! So far I have picked what most others like too. Except for the flooring. I like the light colored Oak rather than the striped bamboo, but it is early yet so maybe the Oak will catch up. All of the other colors are soft and soothing, the striped bamboo seems a little jarring.

Windsmurf on January 7, 2014 at 6:35 pm
  5. I am only off from the majority with the flooring. I prefer the oak, but figure whicheverwins out the house will still be beautiful.

JudyInMich on January 7, 2014 at 7:37 pm
    • Right on Judy!

JanInIndiana on January 9, 2014 at 11:46 am
    • I agree with you. Bamboo wasn't around then and it wouldn't sit right in the design of the house.

Jarda on January 9, 2014 at 4:04 pm
  6. When do we start entering to win this awesome Blog Cabin? kelliecolemann@aol.com Thank you and good luck to everyone!!

Kellie on January 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm
    • Hi Kellie! The sweepstakes will begin this summer! Stay updated by checking out our Coming Attractions page: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy-networks-blog-cabin

Kayla@HGTV on January 7, 2014 at 8:17 pm
    • According to an article posted under another thread voting starts on July 28th, 2014.

MAOW on January 7, 2014 at 8:18 pm
  7. i'm in agreement with the bloggers on the floors…oak floors are so much richer. I get the comment on the bright colors but when its hot in florida soft cool colors seem so fresh. when I think neutral nuance I think of sandy beaches, white fluffy clouds, sea shells, ocean spray and sea grass. but wouldn't mind throwing in some bright hibiscus accessories!

jan958 on January 7, 2014 at 8:06 pm
  8. I love that you all are liking the Inside-Out picks for this year's home! :D

Kayla@HGTV on January 7, 2014 at 8:19 pm
    • All of the Inside-Out choices are great !

Kayla can you confirm Yard Core will be working on Blog Cabin this year?
      I can't even imagine how much energy that show would have! Jake Moss and Grundy working together…..talk about FUN.
      Is this the year Clive will finally get his zip line? Could be if Jake & Joel do the yard–LOL

Mel on January 7, 2014 at 8:40 pm
    • Oh please, please, please. Wheeeee! :)

Clive on January 8, 2014 at 11:32 am
    • LOL Clive, yes if Yard Core designer Jake Moss does the yard you might just get your long awaited zip line!! I couldn't find a video of this Yard Core episode where he put one in a backyard, but here's a picture of it from his website.
      I can imagine him & Grundy having a lot of FUN on this at the BC. Plus it could double as a gator evader. You can see the platform and ladder off to the left in the after pic, and part of the zip line http://jakemossdesigns.com/Galleries/beforeafter/

Mel on January 8, 2014 at 6:33 pm
    • Clive, do you think the yard is slanted enough for a zip line? I love them, we have one at our cabin. It is the favorite thing for the grand kids (and the big kids too).

vicki_in_Utah on January 8, 2014 at 11:40 pm
    • Vicki the yard Jake put the zip line in was really level, he slanted the line itself by the way he built it. When the yard was finished he played on it for awhile, and it worked. The show ended with the homeowners children playing on the zip line, and loving it.
      I would love to see Grundy on a zip line!! LOL It is a great way to have family fun.
      I don't know if you looked at the pic I posted which showed a very level yard or not. This pic might be a better shot for you to look at http ://jakemossdesigns.com/Galleries/outdoorliving/pages/8.htm

Mel on January 10, 2014 at 6:30 am
    • Mel on January 10, 2014 at 6:33 am
    • Thanks Mel, that is pretty calm. That would be fun for little kids. Ours starts on one side of a deep wash up a tree house and drops about 20 feet. for about 60 feet to the other side of the wash it is pretty wild. I am with you and Clive, I think this BC needs a Zip line. LOL

vicki_in_Utah on January 10, 2014 at 10:08 am
    • Wasn't there a zip line on BC 2009? Or was there just a tree house?

vicki_in_Utah on January 10, 2014 at 10:04 am
    • There was only a tree house, no zip line, and the tree house was the other side of the main access road to the development. Something that was kept hidden from us until bloggers visited the house by invitation of the developers & DIY. The road cut the property in half. Just another of the weird things that happened that year. o.0

Clive on January 10, 2014 at 10:36 am
    • I think the home which was selected for this property is perfect.Thanks to whomever made that decision.

OhioGuy74 on January 8, 2014 at 11:28 am
    • Hi Kayla,
      If given the chance I would like to help the DIY team restore this home. :) I live in Florida.
      Thanks, Tammie

Tammie904 on January 17, 2014 at 12:23 pm
    • The choices are easy. You have chosen tastefully for either choice. It's funny that I voted for the "snuggly" options for upstairs when I know that winter is almost nonexistent in sunny Florida but the choices seemed so peaceful, serene – just right for a lakeside cabin.

Carolyn Biggers on January 23, 2014 at 2:04 pm
  9. Would love to see what Nicole AKA The Rehab Addict could do with some of the light fixtures, door knobs, etc. in this house! Not to mention restoration to some of the great woodwork and trim.

Classy-Clutter on January 7, 2014 at 8:56 pm
    • SO TRUE!

CreativeGraf on January 8, 2014 at 9:12 am
    • Great thought!

Robin on January 9, 2014 at 3:51 pm
    • I totally agree with you! I love her and love the work that she does.

amandarenee34 on January 10, 2014 at 12:04 pm
    • amen love that she gets inspired with the time frame of the home.
      she does really great work

Dianne on January 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm
    • I was thinking the same as I viewed the pictures. I'd try to save as much of this old beauty as I could. EVEN the floors…however it looks like they are going to rip everything out….*shakes head*….

marze513 on January 14, 2014 at 7:39 am
  10. Thank you so much Kayla. I really appreciate you putting up with my whining and anxiety while I waited for today to start the voting process. I think I used up all my patience while I was raising my kids.<3:D

Sheri McNamara on January 7, 2014 at 9:05 pm