Dec 24

On Site in Winter Haven: An Early Christmas Present

As you know from last Thursday’s post, project manager Dylan Eastman traveled to Florida last week to check in on our dear home. After crawling through the attic and measuring each space, he came across something that’s going to make site preparations much easier.

Blog Cabin 2014 House Keys

Dylan says:

When we first scouted locations, we knew this special lakeside lot had an existing metal garage on site. However, we weren’t able to get into it at the time. Later, when we were handed over the keys to the new house and lot, I got a little excited. There was one key in particular that cued my interest.

Blog Cabin 2014 Garage

This Quonset-style hut reminded me of the buildings made popular after World War II by the George Fuller Company. These buildings needed to be economical to produce, shipped anywhere and easy to put up. A rake or shovel would have easily made my day. What I didn’t expect is what I found when the garage door slid up.

Blog Cabin 2014 Garage

Blog Cabin 2014 Garage

Blog Cabin 2014 Garage

Yes, that key belonged to something that will come into much use on this beautiful multi-acre lot — our own tractor.

I can already see Grundy‘s big grin as he zooms around our new site.

• Posted at 2:48 pm on December 12, 2013

1. Love the shed that is a plus.. it would make me a great hobby shop or hubby one,also be great to store plants for winter & tools,, yard stuff, boat, fishing stuff …..love this place it a dream…. it needs a pool & walk around porch or at least front & back ones…….the tractor is Great Plus….Just add nice car &………..ME

firstdealjudy on February 8, 2014 at 4:25 pm
    • Absolutely agree. An exercise pool or a hot tub! You have to have tractor to keep up with those wonderful five acres. Always need space to keep outdoor odds and ends. I think this place is in a perfect location, not a well known Florida town, on a beautiful lake with lots of land to keep it private, and a go-gorgeous house! Good luck to both of us, Judy.

debstur128 on February 9, 2014 at 3:19 pm
    • The shed is a great place for all of the yard equipment & the tractor. I wonder where the garage will be? hopefully close to the house!

idols68 on February 13, 2014 at 5:28 pm
    • I agree that there will finally be enough room for storing all my tools and will make a perfect shop for my locksmith business.

58reaches on April 1, 2014 at 7:39 pm
  2. Wow! That will be nice to mow the 5 acres!!! What a wonderful surprise! I am sure it will come in handy
    with the mowing!! Excited!! Would love to win this property!!! I could have all the warmth and sunshine I
    could absorb!!! Can't wait to see the finished project!!! WM

Wanda Mullins on March 4, 2014 at 5:24 pm
    • I have already sold my walk behind for a riding mower.

58reaches on April 1, 2014 at 7:36 pm
  3. WOW What a location an all that room. I can see my self there relaxing YES SIR. Does the hyt the tractor came with is it on the same lot? Looks like lots of grass tp mow. excuse spelling meant to say hut.Have not seen one of those in years.

carole matthews on March 20, 2014 at 1:41 pm
  4. Went looking for info on site and found it. Was so excited to see the areal shots and was sure I found the right place by the hut. I have been wanting a place in Florida for a few years but would have settled for the last year blog cabin in NC. Now I know why I didn't win that one. Something better was down the road this year. I am dreaming of the family get togethers we would have at Lake Hamilton. This one is for me. Sorry everyone.Lol

Joyce Henning on March 21, 2014 at 11:54 am
    • First after me Joyce.

58reaches on April 1, 2014 at 7:34 pm
  5. As a Winter Haven resident I can see many uses for the tractor. With acres of land there can be a very nice Victory Garden. Looking forward to being the first winner from nearby the new home.

57reaches on March 28, 2014 at 11:05 am
  6. Grundy might have a tussle to be the one that rides that out of the Quonset hut first.

58reaches on April 1, 2014 at 7:42 pm
  7. Wow…didn't see that coming! Thanks for your speedy reply….

HGTVBeliever on July 25, 2014 at 11:55 am