Dec 24

On Site in Winter Haven: An Early Christmas Present

As you know from last Thursday’s post, project manager Dylan Eastman traveled to Florida last week to check in on our dear home. After crawling through the attic and measuring each space, he came across something that’s going to make site preparations much easier.

Blog Cabin 2014 House Keys

Dylan says:

When we first scouted locations, we knew this special lakeside lot had an existing metal garage on site. However, we weren’t able to get into it at the time. Later, when we were handed over the keys to the new house and lot, I got a little excited. There was one key in particular that cued my interest.

Blog Cabin 2014 Garage

This Quonset-style hut reminded me of the buildings made popular after World War II by the George Fuller Company. These buildings needed to be economical to produce, shipped anywhere and easy to put up. A rake or shovel would have easily made my day. What I didn’t expect is what I found when the garage door slid up.

Blog Cabin 2014 Garage

Blog Cabin 2014 Garage

Blog Cabin 2014 Garage

Yes, that key belonged to something that will come into much use on this beautiful multi-acre lot — our own tractor.

I can already see Grundy‘s big grin as he zooms around our new site.

• Posted at 2:48 pm on December 12, 2013

1. WOW what luck. That will make Grundy happy for sure, and all us bloggers too. Thanks for sharing Kayla.

vicki_in_Utah on December 24, 2013 at 3:08 pm
    • LOL Vicki, yep that is one Cool Tool for Grundy and the winner to enjoy!
      It is so easy to picture Grundy A-Vaaarrrooooming, & A-Zooooming and A-Hollering YEEEAAHHHHH with a big nice smile of his face as he's riding all over the BC property on that Kubato tractor! When can we get a video of that??
      This is a wonderful surprise, thanks for sharing Kayla & Dylan :p

Mel on December 24, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    • I saw the name on the key and asked my hub before clicking on the special pic. My husband knew what the key was for. That IS quite a surprise!

Trish on December 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm
    • What fun it would be to do some bushhogging on that ! B)B) in the sun with a jar of ice tea ! B)<3

Susan on December 26, 2013 at 11:29 pm
    • Hi there I am Guen in Utah!

Gueneviere13 on December 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    • Hi Guen, Welcome

P.S. I have always loved the name Gueneviere.

Eugenia27 on December 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    • Hi Guen where in Utah? I live in southern Utah.

vicki_in_Utah on December 28, 2013 at 11:26 pm
  2. Love it! Now, just like the HGTV Sweepstakes, the DIY Blog Cabin comes with a vehicle as part of the prize package! On this 5.23 acre lot, the Kubota tractor will come in just as handy as the Dream Home's Yukon Denali in Tahoe winters.

A great find and fun early Christmas present. Thanks, Dylan Eastman and thanks to Kayla for sharing the discovery with all of us. Plus it looks like there's plenty of room in the storage shed for a few more goodies.

DBCoop on December 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm
    • LOL Coop!!

Some may see a garage, I see a nice potting and garden shed. Plenty of space for tools too and working on DIY projects…though this home is sure not to need any of those for a long time, since Dylan and crews are sure to leave it in perfect shape for the winner.

Mel on December 24, 2013 at 4:33 pm
    • For sure, Mel, with the acreage and year-round growing season, that storage shed will be a gardener's delight! Why it might even motivate me to replay my teen years living on a farm surrounded by orchards and working a sizable home garden.

Then again, I had a lot more energy to spare in those days….

DBCoop on December 24, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    • Or maybe even a guest cottage…. http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp

DBCoop on December 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm
    • What a great idea! I love the inside of this one…..but, we also need somewhere to house our new wheels so keep the hut and use for the guest house and build a huge garage, 3 car with extra storage for water toys and gardening toys too! So much possibility with 5.23 acres! :p

jchristie24 on December 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm
    • Out where our cabin is, a lot of people have made these metal sheds into cabins. Because they are fire proof…sorta, more so then a log cabin. But I think it is great for our BC, a great place for boats and other water toys.

vicki_in_Utah on December 24, 2013 at 11:02 pm
    • Just as the GMC is the perfect vehicle for the Lake Tahoe area, this Kubota is perfect for our BC.
      I can't tell you how happy I was when I first saw that tractor. I am already picturing different attachments for the tractor.

Eugenia27 on December 26, 2013 at 3:48 pm
  3. Love the storage and the little tractor. Thank you for sharing the surprise Kayla and Dylan. Wishing you and every blogger a wonderful Christmas filled with peace, joy and love. <3<3<3

SID on December 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm
    • Merry Christmas SID! <3

jchristie24 on December 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm
    • Merry Christmas, SID !

LLColeman on December 26, 2013 at 3:17 am
  4. Woweee! What luck! Me–r-r-r-rry Christmas!^_^

amberPA on December 24, 2013 at 7:49 pm
  5. I did see this hut from the ariel views I was looking at! How cool to have a tractor to mow the lawn with! I could tell that the grass has been mowed almost all the way out to the water too. For anyone who wins ( me ) this can house all the water toys, gardening tools and even a little "rest station" for when I am walking around the property and need to sit down and rest. Put a nice picnic table there, a small fridge and some snacks too! LOL! Oh my mind is wandering and dreaming of all the possibilities for all this land that my Blog Cabin will be located on!

I just can't stop thinking and picturing Grundy on the little tracktor, going 90 mph around the trees and down to the water and back! LOL! I know he is going to have a wonderful time playing with it! Kayla and Dylan, can we please have a video of him doing that???

Thanks Dylan for more sneek peek pics of the things you are finding there and not just flowers and bugs! Thanks Kayla for an early Christmas present with the new thread!

To Kayla, Dylan and all the bloggers here, please have a very Merry Christmas! <3 <3 <3 <3

jchristie24 on December 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm
    • OK…jchristie24, you're one step ahead of me. Often I look up the aerial images, and haven't so far. The other evening, I viewed some and got teary eyed thinking of what my dad did for a living years ago. Made me connect with his memory. This was Dad's favorite seaon, so that connection really got me. He's not been with us for years….but loving memories of him still strong.

Trish on December 26, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    • Hi Trish! It is amazing what triggers our memories into action. Just as you looking at ariel views of the BC, it is other different things for others. I hope you will be able to enjoy the views and I know you will keep up with all the pics that Dylan, Kayla and DIY provide for us as this awesome project draws near it's starting phases.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

<3 <3 Jill :)

jchristie24 on December 29, 2013 at 12:27 am
    • Dear Trish, I Hear ya!! I lost my Beloved Daddy back in 2001. He was, by all accounts of friends of mine, the most wonderful man they'd ever met. Something I always knew and still love him dearly. Grieving was so hard but now I'm at peace with it and can remember the good times and all those loving memories!!

Rebecca on January 11, 2014 at 7:33 am
    • It would have never occurred to me to house water toys in the Quonset Hut. Great idea!

Joellen on January 6, 2014 at 2:34 pm
    • What aerial views are you referring to? I don't know where to find them. I would love to see them. Can you tell me where to look, please?

Thanks!

Bucck on January 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm
    • Hi Bucck! The aerial views are not posted anywhere here on DIY or the blog. I was looking at Lake Hamilton using Google Earth. Such a cool tool to use for looking at land from the sky!! B)

jchristie24 on January 25, 2014 at 1:23 pm
    • That's what I just did and it took me a while, but I finally found it! Thanks!

Bucck on January 25, 2014 at 2:06 pm
    • You are very welcome! Have you been voting on the master suite items yet? I can't wait to see the actual floor plans for our lakeside lil cabin! lol

jchristie24 on January 25, 2014 at 2:16 pm
    • Yes I have, every day! When do we get to register to win though?

Bucck on January 26, 2014 at 6:01 pm
  6. Nice find Dylan. Not sure if my boat will fit in there though! ^_^

EdinOregon on December 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm
    • How big is your boat, Ed? I found this photo of "Girls on Ed's boat" but I have a feeling it's not yours. ^-^

DBCoop on December 24, 2013 at 9:26 pm
    • You are right Coop. That is not my boat. However I have been on that type of boat about 60 years ago! ^_^ Have a Merry Christmas Coop!!!

EdinOregon on December 25, 2013 at 7:28 pm
    • That boat appears to be a 50's era 23' Owens.

540sam on December 27, 2013 at 5:38 am
  7. Wow! What an awesome find. What a great Christmas present for Grundy!!! I think Santa had his hand in this one. What an amazing world we live in. So excited to continue watching and seeing the transformation of this project. Really hoping to see Nicole Curtis on this season. That would be so awesome. She does such marvelous work with old houses. I can only imagine what she could do with one room. Merry Christmas to all of you and HGTV and DIY. I love watching all of you and love that you show us how to do your trades. So many don't appreciate this type of work anymore and you guys are bringing it back to a new generation. Totally Awesome!!!

CheleRS3 on December 24, 2013 at 9:01 pm
    • will someone please tell me when this cabin will be finished to be given away? I just got in on this and I'm sorry but I looked thru the house and it has some amazing looking little places to discover.. and make a true home. One thought that crossed my mind.. this house was once NEW. How in the world did they do so much to it.. thank you.. so much.

stillme115 on December 28, 2013 at 4:08 pm
    • They just gave away the last one a few months ago. Very soon we will start voting on the different items we want in the home. If I remember right they start with the out side. Things like siding and the front door.

Eugenia27 on December 28, 2013 at 7:07 pm
  8. Definitely think the name on the key gives a big hint. Still a great gift for Grundy. He deserves this!!!

CheleRS3 on December 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm
  9. fantastic…..

twoTERRIERs on December 24, 2013 at 11:08 pm
  10. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/ Blessed Kwaanza, etc. to all the lovely bloggers on the BC threads !
    Just catching up, reading posts that remind me why I enjoy this blog so much…may everyone have a 2014 better than the year before ! <3 <3 <3
    So glad we have Dylan working on this project and looking forward to seeing the house move, if DIY takes photos of the journey.

LLColeman on December 25, 2013 at 6:27 am
    • So nice to see a Holiday wish from you LL <3
      I hope you enjoy a blessed and joyous 2014 too!

Mel on December 28, 2013 at 11:16 am
    • Mel, the same to you–all the best things in 2014 will hopefully come your way.
      I don't know that the new site will yield pirate treasure, but there were always mutinies– and deserters who fled the ships and went inland…so you never know…..we just hope no hurricanes or other exciting events will befall the area as the move and renovations proceed. B) B) B)

LLColeman on December 29, 2013 at 1:39 am