Dec 19

On Site in Winter Haven: Discoveries Around the Property

Blog Cabin project manager Dylan Eastman has been down South finalizing project details and getting the home ready for its big move. As you know, Dylan always sends over the best pictures from his visits. I loved looking at details he found around the Lake Hamilton site this week.

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Citrus

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Citrus

Among the Spanish moss are citrus trees overflowing with bundles of fresh oranges just waiting for the juicer. Nothing makes me miss warm weather more …

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Frog

Oh, hi friend! This little guy is just a glimpse of the wildlife found on site.

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Feather

This looks like a blue jay feather to me, yes?

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Wood Pile

Now through March, temperatures can get down to the low 50s at night in Winter Haven. While I’m used to below-freezing nights (and days!) in my neck of the woods, I’d certainly find any excuse to kindle a fire with this supply of wood … even in Florida.

Photos: Blog Cabin 2014 – Before the Move >>

What are you favorite parts of Blog Cabin 2014′s soon-to-be home? The draping Spanish moss? Maybe the lake view is all you need?

• Posted at 10:45 am on December 12, 2013

1. I love seeing all of the pictures. It just looks so homey already. I LOVE the orange trees. They look so yummy!!!

CheleRS3 on December 19, 2013 at 8:18 pm
  2. These are some great photos. I don't know where they got the orange pictures – they look so good!
    I recently heard about the diseased orange trees in the Florida orange juice belt. I hope these trees are far enough away to escape that. Also, oranges used for juice – they are ugly & smallish. None I've ever seen looked as good as those in the above pictures.

My friends that lived on the Caloosahatchee had oak trees with Spanish Moss, orange trees, frogs and ever-so-cute geckos. The orange trees (like peach trees) are short-lived, but easily replaced. The cute frogs lived in every crevice of their house. The geckos lived outside & inside of their house. My friend didn't like it but I never had a problem when I visited. I don't mind lizards.

I've always heard that Spanish Moss kills trees. The moss is a parasitic growth, like mistletoe. But I saw many very old live oaks covered in moss all over Florida. Didn't I read somewhere that the trees emit some chemical that protects them? If so, it's a beautiful symbiotic relationship.

Kayla, thanks for the new thread, we were starving.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on December 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm
  3. Right now thebest sounding thing to me is the low temp in the 50's. That sounds down right comfortable. Almost shorts and T shirt weather. And to think you get a lake view and a blog cabin on top of that… WOW

Petraathen on December 20, 2013 at 1:30 am
    • Hi Petraathen, you would not believe how many non-Floridians say that about our temps. It Can get into the low forties, but thank goodness that's not too often. A major concern for citrus farmers and a lot of vege farmers is freezing temps. Crops can be a total loss if not kept at specific temps. The more central a person lives, the colder it can be. Our farmers are very knowledgable and do fantastic work. I adore all kinds of citrus fruits.Kudos to the farmers, they produce as many smiles as fruits.<3<3:D Yum!!!

Sheri McNamara on December 20, 2013 at 11:14 pm
    • Oh yeah,I almost forgot. For the first year or two it doesn't seem very cold. Then your body gets used to temps and then you get chilly and get a sweater then surprise, surprise, you buy a coat "just in case."<3

Sheri McNamara on December 20, 2013 at 11:20 pm
    • Thanks for the information. Very interesting stuff to know for the future BLOG cabin winner.

Petraathen on December 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm
  4. I agree 100% about the lows only being in the 50's. I have 2 metal rods down my back, one down each side of my spine. Not to mention all the screws and cages. The 50's would be great. I love 80 to 90 degree weather. Would be wonderful for me and my body. I have toured the house so many times that I have dreams about it. I do have a question though if someone could help answer it. How do they decide who gets to help work on it? I love Nicole Curtis (Rehab Attic). I love what she does with old homes from the early years. I think it would be so cool and possibly even a challenge if she could do something with one of the rooms of the house with all of the old pieces that the house already has. I think it would be truly amazing. I am thinking maybe the upstairs with all the windows. I don't know just a thought. Wonder what other people would think of that.

CheleRS3 on December 20, 2013 at 2:46 am
    • I am not sure that Nicole could stand the warmth down here in FL. She is from MN and it might be too much of a shock to her system. lol It would be great to see her do some of her signature restoration on the Craftsman Style Cabin.

YankeeNuke on December 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm
    • What a great idea, Nicole Curtis could work her magic on a room or two.

NYKathy on January 1, 2014 at 2:05 pm
  5. Glad to be a part of a new home-this is a beauty:) Can't wait to see what magic the crew does:) Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year!

Anonymous on December 20, 2013 at 8:16 am
  6. Very pleased to see the citrus trees! (only oranges? Love to see some lemons & limes…
    Great views , promising signs of wildlife to watch from my future ;) SCREENED in porch and from the high ground of the cocktail lounge (widows walk).
    Please let there be a pool as another has mentioned floating in the pool w/ view,dink and outdoor kitchen near at hand for the barbecue… tough call.
    So many ideal scenarios! :)
    P.S. That frog has more to worry about then just the bluejay, my cat likes to chase frogs too.

Kari on December 20, 2013 at 9:15 am
  7. The views promise to be picturesque.
    The land fruitful (sorry).
    But upon reflection we don't know enough to really pick what will be our favorite, yet.
    Beyond the rooms that will let in the views…
    On the plus side I think the potential is there for the entire place to be my one favorite thing.
    Particularly if you can made the place as energy neutral as possible! Please?

Kari on December 20, 2013 at 9:45 am
  8. Old wood piles need to be moved with care. Lovely place for snakes & spiders to make a home. Same with storing wood for the fireplace or fire pit after the reno.

DannyF on December 20, 2013 at 11:45 am
    • You are so right Danny, also Brown Recluse and black Widow Spiders. Eck!

Straybird on December 21, 2013 at 6:45 pm
    • Thank you.I did not know about the woodpile precautions.I updated my blog here and I hope everyone would post helpful comments such as yours.

Ohioguy74 on January 2, 2014 at 4:20 pm
  9. Looking forward to how this project evolves. I am always impressed by the creative ideas and designs the team comes up with.

Jim on the lake on December 20, 2013 at 11:50 am
  10. A day of foul weather (ice storm, sleet, snow, rain & more snow then more ice). There's up to 10 inches more snow forecast for tomorrow evening thru Sunday. Definitely time to get a roaring fire going, pour a good beverage, check the Christmas preparations and ready myself for the inevitable "can we go sledding, snowboarding or ice fishing" requests. :)

Monday we expect highs around 6F. Probably time to dream of those balmy 50's in Winter Haven, fresh oranges from the trees and when the house will be moved. :D Stay safe everyone, this storm is a doozy. :(

Clive on December 20, 2013 at 3:35 pm