Dec 19

On Site in Winter Haven: Discoveries Around the Property

Blog Cabin project manager Dylan Eastman has been down South finalizing project details and getting the home ready for its big move. As you know, Dylan always sends over the best pictures from his visits. I loved looking at details he found around the Lake Hamilton site this week.

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Citrus

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Citrus

Among the Spanish moss are citrus trees overflowing with bundles of fresh oranges just waiting for the juicer. Nothing makes me miss warm weather more …

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Frog

Oh, hi friend! This little guy is just a glimpse of the wildlife found on site.

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Feather

This looks like a blue jay feather to me, yes?

Blog Cabin 2014 Winter Haven Site - Wood Pile

Now through March, temperatures can get down to the low 50s at night in Winter Haven. While I’m used to below-freezing nights (and days!) in my neck of the woods, I’d certainly find any excuse to kindle a fire with this supply of wood … even in Florida.

Photos: Blog Cabin 2014 – Before the Move >>

What are you favorite parts of Blog Cabin 2014′s soon-to-be home? The draping Spanish moss? Maybe the lake view is all you need?

• Posted at 10:45 am on December 12, 2013

1. Just have to make sure your neighbors are not running anything on that racetrack alongside the fence at all hours day and night. Better yet, maybe a go-kart ride ourselves! House will be nice to see juxtaposition with neighbors. Standing in cupola having trees on one side of view and water views on the opposite will be perfect. I think I will plant an acre of trees in the front open part of the lot since a long fence line needs some more definition.

kmh on December 19, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    • What do you think that track is for? Go-carts/ horses ? I'm very curious. Anyone have any ideas?

Straybird on December 22, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    • Dono, nice track. Wish I had one as a kid. But prob for go karts or mini model racing.

Kmh on December 24, 2013 at 4:26 am
    • I knew I had seen that race track somewhere. They did a story on it in BANGshift.com a few months ago. Wow, what great neighbors to have. Make sure that there is a view of the track from the widows walk… Ogh, the lake looks nice too.

ps. I believe the track is built for full size cars etc.

Joe on January 15, 2014 at 11:34 am
  2. Kayla, I know Scripps Network is all about educating their viewers and social responsibility, so what does your staff tell your about info regarding the local environmental issues/problems? As if your editor position doesn’t keep you busy… How kool is this ??? If I would like to improve my property ie habitat restoration, improve water quality, reduce pollution run-off encourage wildlife viability… there might be help via the Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program. They have micro grants and grants to help business and homeowners restore/improve their property. Also check out The Cattle Ranch turned nature preserve/ nature center. Circle B Bar Reserve Lakeland Central Florida. I am not affiliated with any of this, just want to help the environment. Hokimom

Ashtabulannie on December 19, 2013 at 3:19 pm
    • Circle B Bar is a wonderful example of making a small footprint on the property thanks Ashtabulannie!

LRN on December 19, 2013 at 6:24 pm
    • I wonder when Kayla took the job, she knew she would be doing environmental studies.
      Let me know what she says.

Eugenia27 on December 19, 2013 at 7:01 pm
    • Great info, Hokiemom ! i vote that we should re-visit that when the home is closer to completion. <3 B)

LLColeman on December 25, 2013 at 5:40 am
  3. Gosh, just makes me think of a fresh glass of OJ like some others' mentioned here!

Exciting to see the pictures :)

Laurie

Laurie_March on December 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm
    • Thank you Dylan and Kayla, you guys eased me back to the real world and that wonderful 2014 BC. The pictures are wonderful and new to look at. Once again it will look wonderful to look at the whole picture, cabin, lake, trees and anything else they find along their treasure hunt. You have "gentled" my A.D.D. lol and blessings from my heart.<3:DxD

Sheri McNamara on December 19, 2013 at 9:07 pm
    • oj sunshine great, but right now thinking christmas trees and gingerbread cookies…

twoTERRIERs on December 20, 2013 at 12:58 am
    • I'm thinking of oj because I think I'm coming down with a cold. I'm going to heat up some chicken soup and have some grape juice (since the oj is all gone). I hate driving the 12 hours to my mom's house when I don't feel good!

TwoCorgis on December 20, 2013 at 7:53 pm
    • Ms. MARCH you make me think about Spring and how everything in the natural world becomes wonderfully entertaining, the birds singing, the first flowers blooming, the sun shining, squirrels scampering around on the ground and chasing each other up and around the tree trunks…March puts on such a wonderful show for us, and so did you! You did such a Great Job on your Christmas special….you are a natural in front of the camera, and a wonderfully talented designer.
      I hope to see you more on the DIY/HGTV Networks sharing your great ideas and talent !

Mel on December 21, 2013 at 10:51 am
  4. Thank you Dylan for the pictures of the orange trees,Spanish moss, frogs and nature. I really miss Florida as I once lived there and I am sorry I ever had to leave.and thank you Kayla for posting pictures. I am anxious for the house to be moved onto the property and forward progress. How about the cam? Thank you for all you do and I would like to wish all a very Merry Christmas and. Prosperous New Year. I still miss the NC Blog Cabin

Straybird on December 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm
  5. Are there any Grapefruit trees on the property? When I lived in BocaRaton, Fl I had a pink grapefruit tree that was the best fruit I have ever had bar none.

Straybird on December 19, 2013 at 4:59 pm
    • Straybird, have you ever had a ruby red grapefruit from the Tx valley?

Wind Chime Girl on December 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm
    • Hi WCG no I have not had the Texas ruby red but they sound good . I will look for them. Would they grow in Florida also? I also like the Meyer Lemons and you should be able to grow them in Florida

Straybird on December 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm
    • Straybird,
      Oh, they are sooo good. I was brought up sprinkling a little salt on a grapefruit half, hubby raised with sugar on his. Either – soooo good.
      I don't see why they wouldn't grow in Fla.

Wind Chime Girl on December 20, 2013 at 9:28 pm
    • Straybird, I absolutely love the Ruby Red Grapefruit. They are amazing. They're so sweet naturally that it's tough going back to the regular grapefruit and they are sweet too. Besides the orange, lemons are great. That's Bradenton, Florida where I am at and one house I lived in had lemons that were the size of grapefruit and they were amazingly sweet. You could bite right into it(after peeling, of course.) I'm so glad we got info, maybe soon we will get floor plans.<3<3

Sheri McNamara on December 19, 2013 at 9:45 pm
    • Hi Sherry I am so anxious to see that house on the lot and watch the development. That is a lot of grass to cut and will probably require yard service to maintain so many exciting ideas. Great place for solar powered AC and heat.

Straybird on December 20, 2013 at 8:44 pm
    • There was a big shed and ride-on mower that was included with the lot when it was sold. Maybe DIY will keep it?

DannyF on December 20, 2013 at 9:42 pm
    • I used to love ruby red grapefruit. I take statins for high cholesterol now and those lovely fruit would kill me if I ate them today. I'll stay with the oranges and lemons – and memories of ruby grapefruit. :)

DannyF on December 20, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    • DannyF, I know what you mean. Hubby can't eat grapefruit any longer due to his meds.
      I don't know how I'd get over not getting my seasonal ruby reds!

Wind Chime Girl on December 20, 2013 at 9:30 pm
    • And no more "Salty Dogs" either. How awful!

Wind Chime Girl on December 20, 2013 at 9:31 pm
  6. Wow how fabulous to have fresh fruit at your finger tips. Beautiful pics.

flashy on December 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm
  7. Kayla, Hope you can keep as many of the oak and citrus trees. Yes there are blue jays in Florida and the Florida Scrub Jays which are native and protected but don't think this would be the habitat area for a Scrub Jay. Can't wait for more!! :D

LRN on December 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm
  8. Trees, lots of trees. I love trees. Orange trees are the best. When we lived in So. Cal we had a lemon tree and a orange tree. It seemed the more you picked the more that grew. I also like the lake view. That was on my wish list for 2014. Thanks DIY.. So glad Dylan is on the job again.

vicki_in_Utah on December 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm
    • My uncle had lemon trees. Lemons are so good for a person, I hope there are lemon trees also.
      How long does it take for a citrus tree to produce fruit. I will be planting a lemon and grapefruit tree if there isn't already one there.

Eugenia27 on December 20, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    • I have a neighbor growing unsprayed (!) sweet Meyer lemons, and I am able to pick several of them. I peel the rind carefully and eat it for the limonene content…much more vit. C in the skin than in the juice !
      Very grateful that our frost let up here in the S,F. bay area so the trees did not freeze.
      Vicki, I am excited that they have Dylan on the job too–he is as skillful as he is thoughtful of preserving the best of the integrity and even blogs and takes photos for us as well ! <3 He probably does not get home to Mathews very often, though. <3

LLColeman on December 25, 2013 at 5:49 am
  9. Although this home is not for me, I must say that the orange trees are a definite bonus. Fresh oranges……Yum!!!! Now if HGTV could just build a home in a location that has an apple tree on it's property, I'd be one happy camper.

Summer on December 19, 2013 at 6:31 pm
  10. Central and Eastern Washington. That would be a great place for a BC

Eugenia27 on December 19, 2013 at 7:02 pm
    • Oh, Eugenia, I love how you think!

Downonthefarm on December 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm
    • Summer wanted a location where there would be apple trees. I can't think of a better location for Delicious apples.

Eugenia27 on December 20, 2013 at 4:09 pm
    • You know I'd be happy too, Eugenia !

LLColeman on December 25, 2013 at 5:51 am
    • I'm thinking in Seattle but on the Puget Sound…like West Seattle would be perfect!

AlkiBeach on January 1, 2014 at 12:20 am
    • Alki Beach would make me happy. DIY usually chooses more rural areas so they can afford to buy the home and then fix it up.I think HGTV could build one of their 3 homes on the Puget Sound.

Eugenia27 on January 1, 2014 at 12:27 am