Dec 13

Examining the Built-In Ironing Board

A few weeks ago, a group of Blog Cabin folks were chatting about some of the home’s details when the recessed ironing board in the kitchen sparked an interesting conversation. It’s a beautiful wooden board or folding table that lifts right into the wall next to the stove. A few of us couldn’t imagine having our laundry area and cooking space in such close quarters, while others have fond memories of their grandparents folding laundry on the kitchen countertops. Since many recessed ironing boards were built into American homes in the 1920s, it only makes sense that our Blog Cabin 2014 has one, too.

Blog Cabin 2014 Ironing Board

Blog Cabin 2014 Kitchen

What’s your take on this built-in beauty? Do you have one now, or have you had one in the past? Do you admire its space-saving ability but would rather stash it elsewhere? Let’s talk about it.

• Posted at 4:08 pm on December 12, 2013

1. It looks great, nice size too. I hate to iron I loved the pressers in the navy, that I could do. Maybe you could incorporate a small presser in the laundry room, might need a half door so children wouldn't get near it.

itwillbwell on December 14, 2013 at 12:44 pm
  2. I like the built in ironing board but not in the kitchen,I think that area would be wonderful as a spice cabinet. I grew up with a iron board in the kitchen just like that one and there was also a smaller one in the same area for collars and cuffs.????

Straybird ???? on December 14, 2013 at 3:05 pm
  3. I love the crisp look that only ironing can bring to clothes. Now, I'm not saying that I love to iron, just that I love the end result! I bring my board out from the laundry room and set it up in front of my oven in the kitchen so I have lots of room to move around. My guys have broad shoulders so dress shirts have lots of fabric that needs pressing. I've never found a built-in that allows for enough room to accommodate their shirt size and my movement. I love the character of a built-in, just not the practicality. If I have to iron I want a big old board that won't add wrinkles to the pressing I've just completed!

Downonthefarm on December 14, 2013 at 4:34 pm
  4. We did not have a 'built-in' ironing board when I was a kid, but my Mom ironed everything !! Even jeans !! I iron a few things now, but only as I need them ! An iron & board are a very necessary tool when sewing ! I would love to see a built-in one in the laundry room; maybe take the rustic one from the old Cabin, pad it, and put it in the new B.C. !! Room for a full size ironing board would be needed too, I agree with Downonthefarm about having the right size to accommodate bigger items !!

gremol on December 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm
  5. I think the reason for having the ironing board in the kitchen is that there was a time when women cooked more, so it was convenient to be in the kitchen ironing and watching the soup cook on the stove or something bake in the oven. However, i have to question having the board so close to the stove. I would worry about something spattering on the clean clothes, or catching fire! I wonder if perhaps the stove was originally located elsewhere in the kitchen. It would be most convenient in the laundry room, and that space used for a better purpose in the kichen.

Crafter10 on December 14, 2013 at 5:50 pm
    • According to my mother, my grandmother would haul the ironing board into the kitchen-living room entrance so that she could watch tv with the family. My GM LOVED to iron. GM was ALWAYS stylish! Crinkle cloth came in for a reason….people who didn't want to iron. I have a feeling my toy ironing board as a child came from her and not my mom. lol Maybe THIS is the reason I enjoy it….it first started as "fun" and not a chore. My hub appreciates that I iron his clothes. When he tries to sneak out of the house with something not pressed, I catch him and get it ironed. Now, I have to hide the wrinkled clothes ….just in case. : )

Trish on December 14, 2013 at 10:57 pm
    • I know that house we lived in also had a old wringer type washer that was hooked up to the kitchen sink, so it would make since to have the ironing board in the kitchen too, the cloths line was right by the kitchen door going out side.

vicki_in_Utah on December 15, 2013 at 11:13 am
    • Also, women once starched the clothes, sprinkled them, put them in plastic, refrigerated, and then ironed !! At least, my Mom did !!

gremol on December 16, 2013 at 12:11 am
    • Yes, gremol, I also remember my Mom sprinkling the laundry and putting it in the refrigerator, and we think we work hard today! I even have a small collection of old ceramic sprinklers on a shelf in my laundry room (elephant, little chinese men etc.) only thanks to spray irons those sprinklers are now only for cute.

SID on December 16, 2013 at 6:55 pm
    • Back in the day, irons were not electric. You had to heat them on the stove to get them hot hence, the close proximity to the stove.

ladybyrd on December 16, 2013 at 2:27 pm
    • And many of those non electric irons are used as antique door stops. : )

Trish on December 16, 2013 at 5:08 pm
    • That's right, I forgot about that!

vagrammie3 on December 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm
  6. I love the drop down, but agree with the others who say it should be relocated to the laundry. We've owned lakeside before and, trust me, this house could use a BIG laundry/mud room! – an old drop down ironing board would be perfect for this old gem of a home!

CreativeGraf on December 14, 2013 at 6:30 pm
  7. My real interest in this home is the move!!!! I can not wait to see that video. How is the preparation coming along. How far is it going to move. How do you prepare for all that?

Ashtabulannie on December 14, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    • I TOTALLY agree with you,Ashtabulannie. I'm trying to keep my mind focused on the cats, and now the ironing board, but i'm going crazy anxiously waiting for the move details of floor plan. I did answer earlier about that great ironing board and I do hope the keep it. We'll see. Have a great evening.:)

Sheri McNamara on December 14, 2013 at 9:55 pm
    • I know your patience is wearing thin but it will be worth it! I can't wait until the home is lifted and moved and I can share all those details with you! Coming soon!

Kayla@HGTV on December 16, 2013 at 10:53 am
    • Excellent. Can't wait also. :)

Clive on December 16, 2013 at 11:18 am
    • LOLOLO Morning Kayla, Hmmmmm figured that the ironing board discussion was partly a diversionary tactic. I'm sure youve figured out that I am sometimes a bit of a trouble maker too. :-) ) Sorry, I Do not mean to be cruel or insulting but rather a little mischievous. Regards to Mary. I do hope she has moved on to a promotion or a long vacation back to New Hope? And forgive me for not giving YOU a warm welcome and top O'the Morning. Thrilled to have you here with us. How does it feel to sometimes play referee between sometimes unruly children? Leave that duty t Watson.

Ashtabulannie on December 16, 2013 at 11:53 am
    • Happy Monday, Ashtabulannie! I enjoy sipping my coffee and reading everyone's comments each morning. I'm happy to be here with you all. You all are a fun group of people, I can already tell. Watson hasn't had to lay down the law yet, so that's a good sign for BC14. :)

Kayla@HGTV on December 16, 2013 at 11:59 am
    • Had to go back to the kitchen to refill my cup. I know it's after 11 and still drinking coffee. But this is one of the wonderful "Perks " of retirement. Could you share some of what it's like to have your job with the rest of the bloggers here? For example: Do you actually get to travel to each of the builds? Do you take /record the photos posted on the blog sites? Is your education in Journalism? Web development? I know off topic, but there might be some youngsters here who would love to do what you do and are trying to figure out the pathway? Don't want to get you in trouble with your boss. So I understand if you are reluctant to discuss this. I know you have to stay on task. In any case have a great week and look forward to seeing the MOVE!! Hokiemom Hugs.

Ashtabulannie on December 16, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    • A word of warning Kayla, I have killed a keyboard drinking a soda and reading comments on this blog, a few bloggers (I wont mention names) sometimes say the funniest things with out warning, just as you take a sip, and it gets all over the monitor and keyboard. Just thought I should let you know. I no longer drink water or anything while reading this blog LOL.

vicki_in_Utah on December 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    • I'll keep that in mind. [Moving my coffee away from the keyboard as we speak.]

Kayla@HGTV on December 18, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    • Vicki-that is one beautiful wee baby! Sooooo cute!!! Hmmmm ??? Won't mention Names??? Who??

Ashtabulannie on December 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    • Ash the DIY Network has had a couple of series that showcase homes being moved, Massive Moves and Haulin' House….these reality house moving shows hold my attention better than "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, or the "Real Housewives of Atlanta", (which I have never seen iron)
      You can watch these shows on the DIY website….I know it ain't the 2014 BC move, but it may give you an idea of the prep work & sheer determination and skill it takes to move a house.
      I picked this one to post, 'cause there's a moment or two of house moving drama. What intrigued me about this project was the 3 friends each paying 33 cents for a total of $1 dollar to buy the home. They had the expense of a new lot, moving cost and the renovation into 3 seperate apartments, not a bad deal split three ways…and they saved an old Victorian

Mel on December 16, 2013 at 12:34 pm
    • OMG!! Thanks Mel. That was awesome (and no commercials!). Those guys working underneath all that are either crazy or very brave??? A real testimony to a home well built. And the incredible planning, organization, teamwork, engineering and perhaps some LUCK! The cost to move it was actually pretty reasonable if you stop to crunch the numbers.

Ashtabulannie on December 18, 2013 at 1:53 pm
  8. We had a built in ironing board in a house I lived in as a child, I loved it since ironing was a weekly event in our house. I still iron my clothes and would love a built in board.

emily on December 14, 2013 at 7:14 pm
  9. DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THAT A MURPHY BED WOULD SUIT THIS HOUSE. LIKE MAYBE IN A GUEST ROOM OR OFFICE. STRICTLY THE OLD FASHION LOOKING MURPHY BED. JUST THINKING AHEAD……..
    C

Christine on December 14, 2013 at 9:41 pm
    • Yes. This house screams MURPHY BED (and SWIMMING POOL, HOT TUB, OUTDOOR KITCHEN, and "WIDOWS WALK" DECK).

MAWO on December 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    • Sounds good to me.

Wind Chime Girl on December 15, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    • Mawo, it sure does. Doesn't it!!!!!!

Deborah Maness on December 17, 2013 at 5:50 pm
    • Heck yes, the old fashioned Murphy Bed would be wonderful in the house.

Deborah Maness on December 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    • A rollaway, would work just fine.

cucumberHoH on December 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm
  10. I love it, it's so antique. I think it is in a very practical place, actually! I can imagine making some morning tea or coffee, getting some breakfast fixed up while ironing my clothes for the day. :)

JenniferAnn on December 15, 2013 at 12:16 am