Dec 13

Examining the Built-In Ironing Board

A few weeks ago, a group of Blog Cabin folks were chatting about some of the home’s details when the recessed ironing board in the kitchen sparked an interesting conversation. It’s a beautiful wooden board or folding table that lifts right into the wall next to the stove. A few of us couldn’t imagine having our laundry area and cooking space in such close quarters, while others have fond memories of their grandparents folding laundry on the kitchen countertops. Since many recessed ironing boards were built into American homes in the 1920s, it only makes sense that our Blog Cabin 2014 has one, too.

Blog Cabin 2014 Ironing Board

Blog Cabin 2014 Kitchen

What’s your take on this built-in beauty? Do you have one now, or have you had one in the past? Do you admire its space-saving ability but would rather stash it elsewhere? Let’s talk about it.

• Posted at 4:08 pm on December 12, 2013

1. Did everyone receive the HGTV newsletter today? It shows the completed Dream home, with 30 gorgeous photos, the last ones with snow covering everything. There is even the new GMC sitting in the driveway.
    What a magnificent structure, and very well built. Looks like a mountainous ski lodge….very beautiful.

Enjoy the photos.

Builder on December 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm
    • It is absolutely a work of art!

Debs on December 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm
    • I do not get the letter but, I have been checking on on it. It is very beautiful.

There have been many smart choices made there. I particularly like most of the colors used, still a few too many beige walls though.
      There are also some odd space issues. Some areas seem a touch, only a touch, crowded while others seem to waste space with abandon.

Despite my comments a wonderful house… just a little concerned/nervous about all the glass after there comment about needing stone around the part of the building that the garbage is stored. (By the way it looks as if one needs to either take the garbage outside to reach that part of the garage or more the car out first! That particular car fills the garage end to end with about a foot to spare.)

Kari on December 15, 2013 at 6:11 am
    • Very nice, maybe because I am from California originally , the comment about using steel beams for earthquake protection made me a little nervous. But loved the house anyway.

vicki_in_Utah on December 15, 2013 at 11:08 am
    • Builder as much as I am a lover of traditional Log Cabins, I must say the 2014 Dream Home is eye popping pleasing.
      The architecture never strays from modern Industrial rustic, and Linda did a marvelous job of bringing that design aesthetic into the interior, with one creative industrial-rustic touch after another.
      What is most amazing is someone is going to win that perfect home. Best of luck all of us dreamers <3

Mel on December 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm
    • winter paradise on a golf course

cucumberHoH on December 18, 2013 at 4:09 pm
    • Yes, it's beautiful…sigh

Macusina on December 22, 2013 at 1:12 am
  2. I'm about to startle all my new friends here.
    I LOVE to iron. But not in the kitchen. This little old ironing board needs to be relocated/used somewhere else in the house. I like Vicki in Utah's idea of a spice cabinet.
    But back to my 'love to iron' statement. Ironing is the first chore my Mom allowed me to try. I got to iron pillowcases & hankies. I burned one of my hands pretty badly once and she slathered butter on it. Then I went to our little hallway where the "Swamp box" was blowing to cool my hand more. That was my first experience with real pain.
    I still like to iron. I even have old 7-Up bottles and the little sprinkler heads for them. I use spray starch now, not the kind Mom used. Yech.
    I iron pillowcases, the headers of sheets (we love that), hubby's work shirts and my jeans & tops. I quit worrying about hubby's work jeans years ago. They go to the cleaners for laundry & starch.
    Years ago, #2 son need an ironing lesson for his Marine Corps ROTC outfit, I was able to show him everything about how to iron a shirt, slacks & jacket.
    Thanks, Mom!
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on December 13, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    • WCG, friend, you are a rare one. I only know one other gal who loves to iron!<3<3<3 and I think you both have entirely too much energy! LOL! Seriously though, in the days when most mothers did not work outside the home I think they all ironed everything, even those sheets and pillow cases. I know my dear mother did, it was so important to her that everything in the house looked perfect. Ironing was no doubt relaxing compared to some of their other homemaking chores! I can't claim to enjoy ironing, but I don't mind adding that occasional spray starch touch up to a collar or a crisp seam to slacks or jeans. Make it easy enough and I'm "on board" . Sorry for that awful pun.:$:'(

SID on December 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm
    • Sandy, good pun! No, I don't have that much extra energy and I have to take breaks because standing strains my back. I'm thinking of pulling a bar chair around to sit on!
      It's one of 'life's little pleasures' to lay your head down on a lightly starched pillow case. Sweet!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on December 14, 2013 at 8:53 pm
    • THANK YOU WIND CHIME GIRL FOR THE MEMORIES. BACK IN MY DAY EVERYTHING WAS COTTON AND IT HAD TO BE IRONED. ONE TIME MY MOM WOULDN'T LET ME GO TO A BASKETBALL GAME AT SCHOOL UNTIL I IRONED EVERY THING IN MY CLOSET. SO I IRONED HALF OF EACH GARMET AND PUT THAT SIDE TO THE OUTSIDE. MY MOM WAS AMAZED AT FAST I WAS. IRONING CAN BE THERAPUTIC!!!

CHRISTINE on December 14, 2013 at 9:32 pm
    • Christine, that is too funny!

Wind Chime Girl on December 15, 2013 at 7:21 pm
    • I agree with you Wind Chime and I still iron too… I like seeing Ken in freshly pressed shirts and jeans… but not in the kitchen….I want to watch my HGTV and DIY shows while ironing….:)

Macusina on December 22, 2013 at 1:16 am
    • Hi Mari. I know what you mean. I drag my ironing board out and put it btwn the kitchen and living area so I can watch TV.
      We were just talking about you yesterday evening.
      Hope all is well and you have a great family get-together for your holidays.
      Merry Christmas.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on December 22, 2013 at 7:56 pm
    • I iron and love my clothes looking neat and pressed, but do not have my iron in the kitchen. I remember my grandmother ironing sheets and even underclothes. Growing up, my father never left the house unless his shirts were pressed and that was my job, so I still do it. The board should be moved into the laundry room. I believe in this old house, it would be perfect there. To remove it entirely would be a shame. It needs to keep it's charm about it.

Donna on January 2, 2014 at 8:00 pm
  3. WindChimeGirl, glad to read your post. I iron. Tonight, I even told DH abou "this" tucked away ironing board. I have an ironing board set up in an unused bedroom. I find myself hauling my ironing board back to the kitchen dining area to be with family. SO, this ironing board to me is something I am trying to figure out how to have in our home. So….again….Keep the ironing board. If the homeowner doesn't like it for how to get in our home. Ironing can't be out of fashion if starch can still be purchased in stores. I'd rather have our clothes wrinkle free than wrinkled. I have also seen the men who have brought in their shirts to be washed and ironed. So, ironing must still be something people MUST have done. Being a person who sews, we have ironing, maybe they can use it as an extended counter surface. ???? I'll use it for its purpose.

Trish on December 14, 2013 at 1:55 am
    • Trish, in case you missed it I mentioned in an earlier post that ironing board and cabinets can be purchased online from Home Depot and Lowe's. They are designed to fit between the studs in a wall, so you would have to make sure there is no wiring or plumbing in that area and then cut through the drywall to install the unit. It can be done by anyone handy with tools. There may also be units that can be installed without building them in, but they are all very easy to just open the door and flip down. I'm getting older now and can't handle dragging out a heavy old ironing board and setting it up every week, so my hubby custom built one to fit into a bare space in the wall of our laundry room-I love it!

SID on December 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    • SID, I've seen the ironing board and cabinets that you've mentioned. I had originally wanted one of those….until I saw one of John Gidding's home improvement segments. I was inspired by one of his designs to come up with the following: I want the door frame to be widened. This way, the ironing board can fit within the space. I want an electrical outlet set within the space for the iron. I am making sure the ironing board is AWAY from the stove top & sink. I want the frame of the door to continue to look like framing and not a door.

Trish on December 14, 2013 at 11:10 pm
    • Boy I guess the built in ironing board idea isn't so old fashioned after all I found a bunch on amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bui

vicki_in_Utah on December 15, 2013 at 6:21 pm
    • Trish, so I'm not alone! I don't iron hubby's britches, but I do iron his work shirts. We found that starching keeps a lot of the dirt from sinking in and staining.
      I drag my ironing board from the back room and set it up in the area btwn our kitchen and living area and get to it.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on December 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm
  4. I LOVE the old feel of the hide away wood ironing board. I personally hate to iron, but still have to do it on occassion. Blah! I agree with some of the other bloggers here. Relocate the recessed ironing board into the laundry room somehow and make the recessed cabinet into a spice rack since the stove is right there, That is if the stove stays in the same place in the redesign. :0)

Paradise68 on December 14, 2013 at 2:47 am
  5. I don't mind ironing. My husband even irons his clothes when needed. He likes his creases! Please keep the built in ironing board, but put it in the laundry area.

Jo Anne Davis on December 14, 2013 at 7:43 am
  6. I am from the "older generation" and remember my mom ironing in the kitchen.I think it would nostalgic for it to be included into the blog cabin!

bob1787 on December 14, 2013 at 8:52 am
    • I'm only 33 and would LOVE the ironing board! Although my affinity for crosswords, news radio and an occasional pipe with a scotch HAS earned me the "old man" title from my wife. Age is relative. :D

BFP7280 on December 29, 2013 at 8:05 pm
  7. We have one in our laundry area and I think it would be a nice idea to have one in the Blog Cabin. some place other then the Kitchen. We also use it when folding cloths, towels etc.

Jim on the lake on December 14, 2013 at 10:11 am
  8. What a gorgeous piece of wood! In the kitchen it makes no sense but in the laundry room as a feature makes great sense. If you don't iron you could use it as extra folding space that disappears when done.

grammagail on December 14, 2013 at 10:40 am
  9. I don't mind the drop down in the kitchen, but I am sure that instead of ironing on it, I would use it as a cutting board. LOL

Debs on December 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm
  10. I think that ironing board is awesome, but with all the fancy washer/dryer combos that do all that fancy stuff, I doubt they are used often. I ironed for many years and never really minded it. So maybe it can be re -purposed in some way. Or better yet, if there is a laundry room in the plans for this great home place in a wall for use as is. I believe a little ironing touch ups can still be in order. Have a beautiful day everyone. It is a bright sunny Florida day around 68 to 70 degrees and I am taking my grand daughter yard saling.:D

Sheri McNamara on December 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm