Dec 9

Coastal-Inspired Holiday Decorating Ideas

Happy Monday, everyone! Can you believe we’re already knee-deep in the holiday season? [And I haven't even started shopping for gifts yet. Eek!] This time next year, one of you will be sitting nice and cozy in Blog Cabin 2014 in Winter Haven, Fla. As an East Tennessee native, my winters are often filled with a mix of snow and rain, so I can’t imagine a Florida Christmas with temperatures in the 70s. How perfect is that?

It got me thinking, though — Blog Cabin isn’t seaside, but its Florida surroundings certainly call for coastal holiday decor come next Christmas. I thought I’d share some of my favorite coastal-inspired decorating ideas that tie in perfectly with The Sunshine State.

Decorate the Mantel With Rustic Elements + Neutral Hues

Driftwood = Yes!

Coastal Holiday Decorating Ideas

Get Inspired: 10 Coastal-Inspired Holiday Decorating Ideas >>

Tie in Unexpected Pieces, Like This Fisherman’s Sweater

Coastal Holiday Decorating Ideas

Get Inspired: Coastal- and Cottage-Style Christmas Decorations >>

How would you decorate a Florida lakeside home for the holidays? I’d love to hear your decorating ideas.

• Posted at 2:50 pm on December 12, 2013

1. Sometimes it can be tough to get in the spirit of the holiday when it is 80 degrees outside. one thing to do is crank up the a/c for a few days. Yea, some times that's what it takes. Happy Holidays to all!<3:D

Sheri McNamara on December 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm
  2. Hello Kayla and everyone else on the board. I am going to watch Blog Cabin today as the excitement goes underway today,IM SO EXCITED! I just flipped through all of the photos for the Winter Haven,FL home.OMG!!
    I have got some extraordinary ideas that might make this project the most awesome Blog Cabin yet.First, I'd like to say to you Kayla,the "Coastal" theme photos and holiday decorations that you posted were beautiful.I will get into the details of my PIRATE/COASTAL theme for the home,as the show proceeds.Basically,after touring the home,with the 79 photos available,I've come to the conclusion that the entire interior can have a mixture of themes;Coastal,(pretty and feminine just like the photos on the comment board).Colonnial Spanish and most importantly,the entire interior( once the space is opened-up)looks almost exactly like a pirate ship inside or could quite easily be made to feel as though you are in a Spanish Galion.Even the windows resemble Galion windows.Im gonna go watch the show with my Fiance right now.Thank You and have a Merry Christmas!-John aka OhioGuy74

John aka OhioGuy74 on December 13, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    • Where in Ohio? OK Ohio guy!!!! You are my kinda man! ARRRRR! Pirate ship now your talkin!!!! You bring a fresh new dimension to the potential decor for this build!!! Keep it coming! Luv luv your ideas!!!

Ashtabulannie on December 13, 2013 at 2:17 pm
  3. During my formative years I was in S.Florida and S California. I never saw snow until I was almost 12 or 13. Cold for me was 50 degrees F. So a Holiday without snow was the norm. Cold!!!! OMG! It was so cold that first winter in Maryland that when you inhaled your nostrils stuck together. We were totally unprepared for winter weather. Missing my flamingo drawn sleigh…… ahem….. surfboard.

Ashtabulannie on December 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm
  4. One more thing,…..I think that the old wagon wheel that is near the porch could be used inside as a steering wheel if you add handles,just like on a large vessell It would be perferct.Thanks Again-!

OhioGuy74 on December 13, 2013 at 2:12 pm
    • great idea

Eugenia27 on December 13, 2013 at 2:50 pm
  5. I really like the looks of the birch logs in the fireplace. Our daughter just moved into a charming old apt with a huge non functioning fireplace. This look would be perfect. We only have one little old birch tree so I guess I won't be able to help her!

Downonthefarm on December 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm
  6. I have always wanted to redecorate my place and try a coastal-inspired theme. Maybe this holiday season is the perfect time to do so. What I love most is the driftwood painted with coastal design. The intricate chandelier is lovely as well. Thanks for the design inspiration! :)

web link on December 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm
  7. What do they sell in Fla stores? Santa will have shorts on. The tree(bluspruce or colored tree) will have Micky&Minnie&Pluto theme & Oranges&Grapefruits with Tinkerbell /Jimminy Cricket Startopper. Throw a santa hat/reindeer antlers on my pink flamingos.

cucumberHoH on December 18, 2013 at 5:46 pm
  8. Coastal I think, beach,seashells, seahorses, crabs, clams,rocks, sand, palm trees, blue teal aquamarine white colors .

cucumberHoH on December 18, 2013 at 5:56 pm
  9. Another way you can bring the coastal vibe to your home is to embellish your decor with the scents of the coast. Check out UptownSimple.com for an Ocean Breeze Jar Candle that is will bring the tropical isle to your home.

Carl Franke on December 26, 2013 at 4:27 pm
  10. I am from New Hampshire and usually we have a white christmas. When I lived in Florida(St.Petersburg) It sure was different christmas shopping in flipflops and shorts! We usually had a few different decorations like santa in a bathing suit.

Cherie on December 29, 2013 at 8:06 pm