Dec 4

Wild Card Wednesday: Black Cats Crossing Paths

Oh how I’ve missed my Blog Cabin friends! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend. While we patiently — or impatiently — wait for the big move to Lake Hamilton, I thought we could start dissecting the current home. You know, dive into the fun details that made this charming bungalow “the one.” We’ll call this series “Wild Card Wednesday” because you never know what you’re going to get.

Blog Cabin 2014

For today’s inaugural post, we’re starting on the outside of the home. What did you notice when you first saw Blog Cabin 2014? Its charming brick facade? Worn concrete planters lining the stairs? The black trim, perhaps? What about that pair of black cats just above the brick? As a cat lover I noticed them right away.

Blog Cabin 2014 House Details

We’ve all heard the common superstition that a black cat crossing your path means bad luck. What’s your take on these decorative felines? Why do you think they’ve been placed on the home?

• Posted at 5:02 pm on December 12, 2013

1. They are absolutely charming….gotta keep them for good luck….they will look…purrfect!!^_^

Colleen on December 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm
  2. I noticed the figures on the building, but did not realize that they were cat figures, in fact I thought they were dinosaurs, and I did wonder what the story was behind them. With them having 2 different eye colors, I would guess they must have be reminders of pets that lived there at one time. The first thing I noticed about the house was the second story with all of the windows. It looked like a later addition to me and again I wondered what prompted that particular add-on.

Windsmurf on December 5, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    • My thinking they looked like dinosaurs may seem far-fetched, but picture the old Sinclair Dinosaur logo for what I was thinking.

Windsmurf on December 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm
  3. Kayla, Wild Wednesday – what a brilliant idea! Thank you for giving us a special surprise to look forward to each mid week!
    The first thing I noticed was the Craftsman style architecture, so love that!
    Now for those cute cats; enjoyed reading the great suggestions from everyone. Would I dare dream they might predict the BC should become home to my own two rescue cuties Max and Molly? Can't blame a lady for wishing!;)
    O.K. this is after all Wild Card Wednesday, so here's my really, really wild guess. The previous owners of the house had something to do with the production or performance of the classic play "CATS". ^_^B)

SID on December 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm
    • Or my rescues Stevie Ray (my black panther) and Belinda (my tuxie diva)!

cat2727 on December 11, 2013 at 4:30 pm
  4. I know the house from driving by it at its original location in Dundee. I loved it then, loved the style, coupola or widow's walk and yes I even saw and loved the cats! Can't wait to see more!! ;-)

LRN on December 5, 2013 at 6:26 pm
    • So LRN were there real cats at the house?

vicki_in_Utah on December 5, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    • I taught and Coached at the Elementary(Dundee)… school for some 25 yrs.; and might have seen it in my travels for all those years…But better yet, it sure would be Sweet to move into it, as I am 10 minutes away! Wow O Wow…little ole' Lake Hamilton…is on diy and Polk county is on the map…

jacobsjake7 on December 8, 2013 at 12:26 am
  5. I know !! The previous owner's Grandchild made them and put them up as décor and Grandma was not about to take them down !! I can attest to this by all the 'art' on my fridge !!

gremol on December 5, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    • Me too gremol. I have more art on my fridge now then I did when I had kids.

vicki_in_Utah on December 5, 2013 at 7:05 pm
  6. I think they're keepers but mayhaps they should be moved so they're not so overlooked, near the door mayhaps?

Galamie on December 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  7. In many scenarios black cats are considered good luck. I think this house has certainly had good luck! Hand picked to be moved to a lovely location, freshened up inside and out.. and all the while its aged beauty is appreciated by all of us. And it will receive a brand new adoring owner. The original owners must have liked cats, too.. :) I bet cats would love living in a home with so many windows!!

JenniferAnn on December 5, 2013 at 6:59 pm
  8. I love animals of all types, especially dogs and cats. It does not matter what they look like. Maybe the owner shares my love of pets. There is nothing wrong with a black cat.

Summer on December 5, 2013 at 8:11 pm
  9. Hi Kayla, the first thing I noticed was the widow's walk. I do have a cat named Sable (black and looks just like the ones on the house). I also love the pots that line the steps. I live in Florida so the windows all around allow for good ventilation and loads of light. Very cool!

djslay on December 5, 2013 at 8:49 pm
    • What part of Fla. do you live in ?? I live in Panama City !!

gremol on December 6, 2013 at 12:23 pm
    • Hi, I actually live in Winter Haven. Can't wait for January to come to witness this project. It's going to be awesome!!

djslay on December 8, 2013 at 10:00 am
  10. maybe they buried their cats there.

Lori on December 5, 2013 at 10:11 pm