Dec 4

Wild Card Wednesday: Black Cats Crossing Paths

Oh how I’ve missed my Blog Cabin friends! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend. While we patiently — or impatiently — wait for the big move to Lake Hamilton, I thought we could start dissecting the current home. You know, dive into the fun details that made this charming bungalow “the one.” We’ll call this series “Wild Card Wednesday” because you never know what you’re going to get.

Blog Cabin 2014

For today’s inaugural post, we’re starting on the outside of the home. What did you notice when you first saw Blog Cabin 2014? Its charming brick facade? Worn concrete planters lining the stairs? The black trim, perhaps? What about that pair of black cats just above the brick? As a cat lover I noticed them right away.

Blog Cabin 2014 House Details

We’ve all heard the common superstition that a black cat crossing your path means bad luck. What’s your take on these decorative felines? Why do you think they’ve been placed on the home?

• Posted at 5:02 pm on December 12, 2013

1. Do you think someone forgot to take down the Halloween decorations? :-) They appear to have some meaning since the one has blue eyes and the other yellow or green. I'm guessing those kitties used to live there and were well-loved by their family.

TwoCorgis on December 4, 2013 at 10:57 pm
    • Oh, and I forgot to mention that I didn't notice that they were cats until Kayla pointed it out. I hate to admit this, but I only took a quick glance through the pics on a tiny screen when I was traveling and if you asked me I would have said that the house had a mustache. :$

TwoCorgis on December 4, 2013 at 10:59 pm
    • Lol! Forgive me for laughing out loud! I love reading everyone's ideas about the kitty cats! <3

jchristie24 on December 5, 2013 at 12:55 am
    • LOL Two, yes when I squint at those cats I see a mustache too <3

Mel on December 5, 2013 at 12:11 pm
    • Phew! Thank goodness it's not just me! During my Christmas shopping, I seem to be seeing mustaches everywhere! On mugs, t-shirts, straws, sunglasses… Mustaches seem to be "in" this season, so when I saw the house, my mind just naturally assumed "mustache" and that was that. LOL!

TwoCorgis on December 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    • All the moustaches are for 'Movember' – raising awareness about male cancers such as prostate cancer. It's like the pink ribbon for breast cancer. ^_^

AnniesOwn on December 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm
  2. Hello Kayla, Thank you for all the updates and interesting information about the BC. It's been fascinating to see and to imagine what might develop from this adorable bungalow. The first thing that caught my attention was the entrance stairway with the cement planters. I think the entrance will be grand when refinished and can imagine, like so many here, cabinet doors and the ironing board.

Now onto the two black cats….being a animal lover myself I recognize another cat lover out there and I think it was a tribute to their love of cats. With their different colored eyes and the "C" and "L" maybe they represent the owners themselves. Just a guess. :0)

paradise68 on December 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm
    • I agree this bungalow has so much potential. I can see the DIY experts focusing on projects that showcase strong craftsmanship, with rich woodwork finished in earthy tones. Decorative wood moldings bring clean strong lines into living spaces, and I'll be looking for that around the ceilings, floors, windows and doorways.The home in the end will be warm and cozy, hopefully retaining its arts & crafts style. I can imagine some great built-ins for storage too.
      It might be over the top to ask or hope for an alcove area to be built around the master bed, but I can see that in this style of home! and an alcove repeated in the master bath area over the vanity…yep Matt Muenster could do that <3

Mel on December 5, 2013 at 3:24 pm
  3. Okay…some how I cut that up a bit. I meant to say that it will be grand when refinished (the entrance way) and can imagine, like so many here, colorful flowers blooming in the planters and leading the way up this impressive entranceway. Inside items I loved was the furnace and hope it will either make it into the living room or as an outside pizza oven, as one very interesting commentor suggested (good one). Also, I liked the heating grates, ice box, widow's walk, breakfast nook and latches on the kitchen cabinet doors. all of these have such great potential for unique little touches to the BC.

paradise68 on December 5, 2013 at 2:28 pm
  4. I am a big black cat lover, so i noticed them right away! Maybe due to them facing each other, getting in each others path, they are cancelling out any bad luck! (actually, due to the eyes, I think they are reflectors so no one runs into that house!)

Tammyva on December 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm
  5. Love the wide stairs leading to the porch and the large planters.

andie on December 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm
  6. The two black cats offer a big contrast on the white wall above the brick on the BC. My guess is that they were displayed there to scare away little critters and keep them from crawling into what appears to be open brick work.

Downonthefarm on December 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm
    • I have to agree with you that the cats are there to scare off critters. Screening those air vents will keep critters out and let air in . That's a good thing here in Florida. That's also a good reason, as far as I am concerned to keep those cute cats.<3:D

Sheri McNamara on December 5, 2013 at 8:19 pm
  7. Besides the black trimming that really gives that great house a little extra something, I love the great wood doors with 15 glass panes. I noticed two in that one picture. Not only the front door, but the front porch entrance has one also. Of course the screen doors were and still are a great blessing when you get the heat and humidity we get more often than not. They help keep those nasty mosquitoes that try their best to get ya.I believe there are more doors in the back that are 15 pane as well. I really think those doors are special and hope they consider using them. The casement windows need some work, but they stand out as coming from that era. I am so excited to see the plans for this wonderful old home on that beautiful property. I know it will be diy/scripps best yet.xDxD

Sheri McNamara on December 5, 2013 at 3:52 pm
  8. Okay 3 wild guesses on the cats here:

1) Bird distractor
    2) Shouldn't even mention this….but how about a "cat house"…..a place where they used to breed cats.
    3) Someone with the first or last name cat…

twoTERRIERs on December 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    • Or a possible 4th wild guess, twoTERRIERS, home to Mr. & Mrs. Claws?

DBCoop on December 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    • :) :):) pink claus….Soon I have to post a picture of my little terrier benji, who is featured in a picture in the dream home – upper level family room on page 7 of 17:) spittin image…

twoTERRIERs on December 5, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    • I see two speech bubbles from "Mr. & Mrs. Claws". One is saying "What's the weather forecast for today?" and the other replies "Some rain dear". Happy holidays

Clive on December 5, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    • Good one, Clive.

Unfortunately, that reminds me of another conversation between Mr. and Mrs. Claws.

Mrs. Claws says, "Olive? Who's Olive?" Mr. Claws replies, "You know, in that Christmas song, Olive the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names."

(I think this Blog Cabin thread has gone to the dogs….)

DBCoop on December 5, 2013 at 6:31 pm
    • LOL xDB)
      You have one awesome sense of humor DBCoop! Ya keep me laughin':D

Sheri McNamara on December 5, 2013 at 9:04 pm
    • Dogs rule, cats drool! Keep them coming, DBCoop!

TwoCorgis on December 6, 2013 at 2:18 pm
    • :)

twoterriers on December 6, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    • Uh, TwoCorgis, as much as I've always said that in rebuttal to my 'serious' cat owning friends, I have actually found it to be otherwise. Much to my chagrin.
      Miss B just has a bit of spittle after she hisses at one of us – no drool.
      On the other hand, I have a drool towel for our big ape, Pete. Life is what it is. Drool & all.
      Ha! y'all are great!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on December 6, 2013 at 11:28 pm
  9. The first thing that I noticed on the outside was that the two wooden columns supporting the front porch at the top of the steps are neither the same color nor quite the same design. Curious? ;) :)

Stay warm all you northern & Western bloggers. We're dipping from the mid 40's yesterday to the mid-teens tomorrow. Not unexpected in WI but not necessarily welcomed by all. :)

Our freeze last week gave about 3 inches of ices on our lake. Not thick enough for ice fishing really. That didn't stop some intrepid (over excited) anglers venturing out and we've already seen two involuntary baths in icy water. Happily no lasting damage except, maybe, to some ego's. :S

Clive on December 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm
    • It was -13 this morning at 9am. This is more like January not December. Burr, Wish I was in Winter Haven.

vicki_in_Utah on December 5, 2013 at 4:21 pm
    • Clive I thought of you recently when I was watching an episode of House Hunters, the hunt was in Green Bay WI, and yes they focused on the cold, snowy weather because the wife had relocated from sunny Florida.
      My husband has visited WI a couple of times, and always comes back saying how super nice everyone is, and telling me how great the cheese curds are!

I know you frequently visit the NC mountains on vacation, so you might be familiar with the wooly worm festival held every year in Banner Elk. Well so far the wooly worms have been right on target for this years NC winter weather prediction…they are usually much more accurate than Punxsutawney Phil. I believe the "old timers" that observed nature like the wooly worms stripes and the size and amount of acorns that fell were on to something when it came to winter weather predictions.
      Well try and stay warm, I know you won't be out there on the ice angling until it's safe.

Mel on December 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm
  10. Noticed the cats and thought someone just liked cats. The cats location show a seance of humor and fondness for them. I like the touch.

Jim on the lake on December 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm