Nov 26

Where’s It Headed? Check Out the Winter Haven Lot

Blog Cabin 2014 Location

For just one minute, let’s pretend there isn’t a winter storm advisory headed my way and instead I’m sitting in an Adirondack chair on the future lawn of Blog Cabin 2014 staring at this view. Is anyone with me?

I know you all are dying to know when our lovely bungalow will be moved, and all I can say is … soon! I promise to keep you updated as I learn details. In the meantime, here’s a peek of the Winter Haven, Fla. lot overlooking Lake Hamilton where the home is headed. The clues all make sense now, don’t they?

View the Photos: Blog Cabin 2014 – Before the Move >>

• Posted at 5:16 pm on November 11, 2013

1. Can't wait to see what this space will bring!

NJ Waterproofing on November 27, 2013 at 2:04 pm
  2. I do have a question on this BC2014. This house looks like it has a basement due to the outside exterior doors in one of the pictures. Will they be giving it a basement in its new location??
    Welcome all you northerns to Sunny Florida and yes Brrr…It looks like temperature here in Florida area will fall to below 40 degree tonight!! Now the Good News: temps are heading back to a high of 65 for Thanksgiving and to the 70's for the weekend! HAPPY THANKSGIVING BC2014 and to all fellow bloggers everywhere.

Holidaygal on November 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm
    • If you check out the previous blog thread titled "Tour the original home" there are some great photos of the full basement. :) Have a great Thanksgiving.

AnniesOwn on November 27, 2013 at 6:25 pm
    • My apologies. Just went to check them and they're gone. Can anyone find the pictures of the basement with the 'Hercules' boiler? o.0

AnniesOwn on November 27, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    • Being from Central Florida myself, we would call a basement an "Indoor Pool". ;)
      Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

JudgeFla on November 29, 2013 at 7:11 am
    • That is funny and sad. I guess we gravitate to what we are used to.
      I wonder if a pool person could actually put a pool under a house. Hummmm?

Eugenia27 on November 29, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    • Think 'West Wing' and there you go!

Wind Chime Girl on November 30, 2013 at 3:20 am
  3. Happy Thanksgiving bloggies. Hope to see everyone next week after we've all slept off the turkey coma. :p:)

Clive on November 27, 2013 at 6:27 pm
  4. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    That EF2 tornado seems to have hit Morehead City a bit but other than roof damage nothing really serious. I, too, was curious about how blog cabin 2013 weathered the storm. Truly hope new owners did not have to face repairs so soon.
    Hope all have a safe and happy day tomorrow.

grammagail on November 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm
    • What news source did you get that from? 72 out of 110 condos in my complex in Atlantic Beach were condemned. My Mom's 2 were completely destroyed. Only because it was pre Thanksgiving was the complex nearly empty and no deaths occurred. There is a heavy metal cabinet on my Mom's bed, open to the sky.

Lulubelle13 on November 30, 2013 at 12:22 am
    • Hi Lulubelle,
      I am so sorry to hear about your mom's place. I was referring only to the mainland around Morehead City since the cabin is located on the mainland. I did not mean to imply Atlantic Beach did not get hit hard.

grammagail on November 30, 2013 at 1:33 am
    • Morehead is right across the ICW from Atlantic Beach, so we think of them as being a unit. BC 2013 is 40 miles away on a different sound. The spout hit the condos and then skipped across the sound to Morehead inflicting relatively minor damage. The hospital was in its path. Would have been awful if it had hit hard there. Amazing to me that the condos stood through so many hurricanes but a little twister takes it down. Still here cleaning up, everything is out in the open as the roof and front wall are gone.

Lulubelle13 on November 30, 2013 at 1:50 am
    • That was a bad weather system. Illinois had 24 tornados. Unheard of, especially in late November. Two were EF4's with 200 mph winds. I expect the next Arctic blast manipulating the Jet Stream will cause similar problems later this week. Good idea to go over emergency kits again. I hope all states have beefed up their building codes.

ChicagoBirder on November 30, 2013 at 11:27 pm
    • oh my gosh….so sorry you had to endure this disaster.lulubelle….happy no one hurt..

twoTERRIERs on November 30, 2013 at 11:59 pm
    • Fortunately we had no problem in Chicago and people prepared well.  These storms went across the country. Here storms hit south suburbs, mid state and down state.  Washington IL was hit the hardest wigh an EF4.  Seven people died and 2,400 homes damaged or destroyed.  Some disaster relief medical supplies and clothing waiting for transport to the Phillipines were instead immediately transported to Washington, IL.

Chicago has been planning for more extreme weather since the 1995 heat wave killed 500.  With climate change, we've been planning for more rain, more intense rainfall when it rains, more intense wind when there are temperature changes and prolonged drought when it is dry.  I think this is one of the best places in the country to be for weather.  We've planted thousands and thousands of trees and the most extensive roof gardens in the country to help cool the city in summer.  Many of us plant native and drought resistant plants, shrubs and trees and use rainbarrels to conserve water.  Sewers have been redone to handle more storm volume.  We've been asked to paint flat roofs white or put in roof and vertical gardens.  We've generally taken out grass lawns and don't use pesticides in order to protect water supplies.  We've also continued to encourage bicycling and mass transit to reduce auto use.

Here's a link to NOAA re tornados, which shows historic information as well as what is described as tornado alley and what is described as dixie alley.  http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/severeweather… />Like anything else, awareness and preperation are key.  It was great that Blog Cabin 2013 was done to meet new hurricane and flood standards.  And HGTV Dream Home built with earthquake, snow load and more in mind.

ChicagoBirder on December 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm
    • Hi ChicagoBirder–that is really fascinating information about all the changes that have been made for climate extremes there. I have a cousin living there, and also cousin's mother and sisters living in Indiana nearby. They all escaped storm damage with this last storm system.( I live in CA and it is disheartening that there is so little done in this state to address local dangers such as earthquakes and wildfires.) Today's paper just had an article about how little is done in the city of Oakland since the '91 firestorm….there is no enforcement of fire safe ordinance in the hills, cutbacks to fire crews and very little fire inspections done. ( Someone I knew lost her life in that firestorm). Hill residents voted against paying an extra $78.00 a year for fire protection.

LLColeman on December 2, 2013 at 3:25 am
  5. Here is the link to the tour of the Blog Cabin. http://www.diynetwork.com/blog-cabin/blog-cabin-2

Eugenia27 on November 27, 2013 at 8:41 pm
  6. Happy Thanksgiving all….thanks for hours of smiles…..as a matter of fact where is smiley?….

One thing I love about this area for the new BC are the cloud formations……a place to capture clouds….

twoTERRIERs on November 28, 2013 at 1:11 am
  7. What a great blog, i am searching in Google from couple of days.Two Simple Ways to Get Traffic to Your Blog” but did not find any great way,but my search came to an end after visiting your blog.
    Floor sanding

amflooring45 on November 28, 2013 at 2:06 am
  8. Wow, I knew it was Florida, so beautiful and serene. I just picture myself moving back to Florida in my own home with my husband sitting in a swing on the back porch over looking the water reminiscing about the good old days telling my husband of the times when I used to live in Florida way back when. I only wonder if lake Hamilton has gators or not? Sorry guys living in the keys I had my share of those Florida gators and not mind if they stay down south!

Getnutzangel2 on November 28, 2013 at 10:39 am
    • I was wondering if there were gators there, too. Hoping not.

joyfulj9 on November 29, 2013 at 7:06 am
    • If there is a lake, there are gators. Just did a search on Lake Hamilton and there is a lot of comments about the presence of them. Some say not to worry, but it pays to "respect" them at least.

JudgeFla on November 29, 2013 at 7:32 am
    • Thanks for the info. I used to live in Florida but there was no gators in the Keys or even Jacksonville so I loved it until I moved around then ended up here in Hawaii!! Yes respecting them is the best possible way for not getting bit or even eaten, lol..

Getnutzangel2 on December 3, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    • There are definitely gators in the lakes. Most of them are really small, under 4 or 5 feet. They won't bother you unless you bother them first. What you have to watch for is the safety of your pets. Don't allow them to stray too close to the water.

MGYinSC on December 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    • 4 or 5 feet doesn't sound to small to me. yikes

vicki_in_Utah on December 4, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    • True dat. You mention gators Ill go the other way no matter if there babies cause even a baby can do much damage to you. I will be minding my own business for sure..

Getnutzangel2 on December 21, 2013 at 9:30 am
  9. A safe and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Downonthefarm on November 28, 2013 at 12:04 pm
  10. That is a fantastic lot!

Galamie on November 28, 2013 at 2:20 pm