Nov 26

Where’s It Headed? Check Out the Winter Haven Lot

Blog Cabin 2014 Location

For just one minute, let’s pretend there isn’t a winter storm advisory headed my way and instead I’m sitting in an Adirondack chair on the future lawn of Blog Cabin 2014 staring at this view. Is anyone with me?

I know you all are dying to know when our lovely bungalow will be moved, and all I can say is … soon! I promise to keep you updated as I learn details. In the meantime, here’s a peek of the Winter Haven, Fla. lot overlooking Lake Hamilton where the home is headed. The clues all make sense now, don’t they?

View the Photos: Blog Cabin 2014 – Before the Move >>

• Posted at 5:16 pm on November 11, 2013

1. Wow, I can see it now. A beautiful Blog Cabin and my girl fishing in the front yard.

StormyWV on November 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm
  2. Kayla is that covered dock off to the right part of 2014 BC or does it belong to the neighbor?

Straybird on November 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm
    • It's the neighbors dock. There's no dock, old or new, on the BC plot.

AnniesOwn on November 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm
    • No it belongs to the neighbor next door that also has a race track in his yard just off W Lake Hamilton Road.

Edward on December 7, 2013 at 3:42 pm
  3. i live near-by in lakeland,if you guys need any help from a former union carpenter in new york,just let me know,i would love to pitch in

chris flores on November 26, 2013 at 6:26 pm
    • Chris, do you mean to help us bloggers? Or do you mean to sign-on to the DIY Team? I hope it's to help us bloggers – so chime in any time. You are welcome here.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 30, 2013 at 2:56 am
  4. Kayla, Where exactly are you? Are you in Knoxville? Looks like the winter storm will be worse tomorrow – the biggest travel day! Have a great Thanksgiving. Oh, and the 2014 BC site looks beautiful. I know DIY will give us a beautiful home.

Boo on November 26, 2013 at 6:43 pm
  5. Thats such a beautiful view! It will be really amazing from the widows walk….can't wait for the "big move":D

Debbie on November 26, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    • It is a gorgeous view to enjoy a great cup of coffee from. I hope B C makes a wraparound porch for the bungalow. Can't wait to see the updates.

NvbH on December 1, 2013 at 10:35 pm
  6. I would love to live on any body of water. I am grateful for the pictures. Thanks DIY network for the dreamers! Blessed Thanksgiving and to the men and women serving our great country. Deborah

Deborah Cossaboom on November 26, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    • Alligators– we live in Florida– hot, hot, hot

Michael on December 7, 2013 at 11:22 am
  7. I'm wondering if a pool is a possibility on the lot? (Not by DIY of course, but the winner or subsequent owner of the property.) From the looks of things, several of the neighboring homes do have swimming pools even though the water table must be fairly high lakeside.

Did I spot a few orange trees on the lot? For sure there's at least one.

As for Thanksgiving, here's hoping all of your turkeys (or hams or ?) are golden brown, tender and perfectly cooked — no matter if the weather outside is frightful.

DBCoop on November 26, 2013 at 7:27 pm
  8. Kayla, be very careful. You are spoiling us with your timely updates.
    Thank you darlin', we love it.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 26, 2013 at 11:42 pm
  9. Happy Thanksgiving Kayla. Thank you for posting the lot and lake view.

ChicagoBirder on November 26, 2013 at 11:49 pm
  10. Any idea what the maximum allowable sized boat on Lake Hamilton would be?

Might as well start planning that new boat dock and checking into prices on motor boats — just in case! Although who knows, a kayak might do in the long run.

DBCoop on November 27, 2013 at 12:15 am
    • I think I would go with the kayak.

Eugenia27 on November 27, 2013 at 5:14 pm
    • Maybe one of each, depending on the number of guests? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gc339j8Gins/UDpxpIbQfII

DBCoop on November 27, 2013 at 8:32 pm
    • How big is this lake? The tiny boat sure is cute but the bigger one looks like it would be much more fun and safer too.

Eugenia27 on November 27, 2013 at 8:38 pm
    • Since you asked, Eugenia: Lake Hamilton is decent sized for Florida at 2,163 acres, or 3.38 square miles.

Lake Tahoe, by comparison, is 122,200 acres or 191 square miles.

So if you happen to win the Blog Cabin AND the Dream Home, you might want to consider using the larger of the two boats in Tahoe and keeping the smaller one for Lake Hamilton.

Then again, if you win both homes you could afford to upsize the two boats! Plan accordingly….

DBCoop on November 27, 2013 at 9:00 pm
    • DB; You forgot to mention getting a rowboat and lassoing a passing alligator. lol

YankeeNuke on December 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm
    • Is that what you'd call a tailgator, YankeeNuke?

DBCoop on December 4, 2013 at 4:59 pm
    • I doubt there are any legal boat size restrictions…but there are some practical restrictions. Depth is maybe the most important. The lake is relatively shallow, so sail boats with deep keels are probably out of the question. My guess is that just about any fishing boat and most speed boats would be just fine. I think I recall that the lake's average depth is only 7 feet, maybe 23 feet at its deepest point. Mrs Lake Hamilton (one of our fellow bloggers) lives on the lake. Maybe she can provide better information than my vague recollections.

RLDorf on November 28, 2013 at 2:53 am
    • In that case, with a mean depth of 7', it could be either a mid-sized catamaran or a smaller shallow draft mono-hull powerboat. although I don't think I'll start looking for one quite yet.

DBCoop on November 29, 2013 at 2:11 am
    • I've always been partial to canoes. One or two people with plenty of room in between for tackle and accoutrements. Kayaks aren't comfortable for me and they lack the room I like to have. And a canoe can be managed by one person.
      I'm not into motor boats or jet skis (noisy and smelly).
      Canoes are peaceful and don't require extreme balancing skills.
      Just my HO.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 30, 2013 at 3:02 am
    • The lake averages 9 ft deep so mostly fishing boats and ski boats along with day sailers

Bob on February 24, 2014 at 6:46 pm