Nov 25

Tour the Original Home

Good morning, friends! I’ve enjoyed reading your enthusiastic comments following Thursday’s location reveal of Blog Cabin 2014. Winter Haven, Fla. is truly a gem that we’ll explore in detail in the coming months. For now, let’s focus on the original home in all its glory.

Blog Cabin 2014

You’ve taken the indoor-outdoor photo tour, but I have a little something extra for you. So, grab your coffee, kick back and take a look:

What are your favorite details of the home? Let’s talk!

• Posted at 11:55 am on November 11, 2013

1. After the second video I love this house even more. The hardwood floors are absolutely gorgeous! I agree there needs to be a second bathroom,maybe a half bath. The sunroom is a perfect spot for a mega den and the widows walk is a perfect spot morning coffee. Am anxiously waiting for the big move. Does anyone know when it will happen?

Elsie on November 26, 2013 at 9:44 am
  2. I'm in love with this diamond in the rough. Dreaming of an early morning cup o' tea up in the widow's walk. Fun to see all of those older features. My favorite is the wagon wheel. Maybe a table top or headboard? Pretty heavy for a light fixture isn't it? Old hardware definitely has to be upcycled. Love the little window in the bathroom. Can't wait till it's all decked out with modern amenities.

jazzygirl9 on November 26, 2013 at 10:26 am
  3. I just love the bungalow and the widow's walk. I would love to see the Ice box remade into an ice chest for an outdoor kitchen. I would also love to see the old Hercules furnace turn into a wood burning stove for the living room! would love to see Anitra and her crew create a Mega den out of the Widow's walk! There needs to be room for a basement at the lake so that there could be shelter away from any storm.

Deborah Maness on November 26, 2013 at 10:35 am
  4. That was a great tour through the house!. The basement was a surprise and hopefully can be duplicated at the new location. I like the screened porches/sun rooms/widows walk most of all. Lots of nice features to work with. I am looking forward to seeing the transformation!

vagrammie3 on November 26, 2013 at 11:01 am
  5. French doors=lots of sunlight Widow's walk=awesome studio space Old furnace=objects de art

smokesmom on November 26, 2013 at 11:22 am
    • The architectural features are great. Based on what I have seen your staff of talented designers have created in the past, I look forward to the finished product.

Jim on the lake on November 27, 2013 at 1:02 pm
  6. I love love love the flooring! I also love that the house has so many windows, why be in Florida if you cant enjoy all the sun. That sun room has immense potential too. And that living room?! A little small be definitely has a great deal of charm and appeal to it. Can't wait to see what you guys can do with the place!

Galamie on November 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm
  7. Homes that are moved can still qualify for historic preservation. Would like to see that happen with this Blog Cabin. The exterior including beautiful original windows can be completely restored. Then the french doors, hardwood floors, vintage glass door knobs and many great details lead to a fantastic restoration. Most of all I love the "widow's walk".

Good grief, does anyone but me remember using the old ice boxes and the iceman carrying a big block of ice up two flights of stairs on a piece of leather to protect his shoulder from the cold? LOL. I hope to see an equally practical contemporary use for the vintage ice box.

ChicagoBirder on November 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    • The ice box is one of my favorite features!

Kayla@HGTV on November 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    • I remember, mostly because we lived in a remote place that didn't have electricticty yet..

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    • vicki, you bring up a great point, no electricity.  Perhaps Blog Cabin can use the ice box as a party and power outage cooler, tather than repurposing it for another use..

ChicagoBirder on November 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm
    • Oh Yes, I remember the old iceboxes. The local meat market/butcher shop had an old ice house next door to their business, where they sold ice, before electricity came to the community. It was a little town of only about 100 people. Before my parents passed away, they always mentioned the ice house by the butcher shop. That ice house remained there for many, many years, as I was growing up. Slowly, all those little towns are now becoming just bedroom communities, with very few businesses.

Builder on November 27, 2013 at 10:57 am
    • Thanks for your memories!  I remember the ice houses too.  In Illinois the bigger ones were next to the river.  Sawdust was used to insulate the ice.

ChicagoBirder on November 27, 2013 at 11:19 am
  8. Another birthday surprise! I don't know how I missed this new post yesterday. I must have been working too hard. ;-) I think my favorite features are the widow's walk and the sun porch. "Old Hercules" in the basement was pretty sweet too. I wonder if they'll build on the Mega Den somewhere, rather than using an existing room. I know this house has a basement (which I would normally consider for the MD location), but it may not be possible to have a basement at the new location right on the lake. I think the widow's walk might be too small (perfect for reading and relaxing, though, and the sun room may be too narrow with too many windows. Then again, I'm not a designer. The crashers always have so many great ideas! They'll make it work one way or another!

TwoCorgis on November 26, 2013 at 3:16 pm
    • One of the many reasons I love DIY Network and BC; I can see great ideas put into action. I don't have that creative bone in my body so it is always great to see what those people can see. (after it is finished of course)

Eugenia27 on November 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm
  9. I love love it but can you make it bigger. Like add 2 more bedrooms and 1 bath at least. My family is huge so we need all the space we can get.

Fritzka on November 26, 2013 at 3:58 pm
  10. Getting so excited already. Such a nice place to renovate, warm and cozy. I love it and can't wait for it to begin. Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on November 26, 2013 at 5:51 pm
    • Hi Rebecca, so nice to hear from you. This is going to be a fun one, don't you think?

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • I totally agree Vicki! I just love being by the water. Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on December 2, 2013 at 5:06 pm
    • Hi Rebecca! Isn't the new location wonderful? Maybe we will have the live camera again so we can all meet for coffee by the lake every morning! I hope the weather isn't too bad in your area. Hugs, Sandy<3<3<3

SID on November 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm
    • Hi Sandy!!! Yep I am ready for my ice tea and coffee talks while the guys work! Hopefully they will have the cam. Once you start something it is hard to go back and not do it! haha Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on December 2, 2013 at 5:07 pm
    • Hi Rebecca,

So nice to hear from you. I haven't seen any posts from you lately. Welcome back. :)

Builder on November 27, 2013 at 10:50 am
    • Thanks Builder, it is nice to talk with everyone again. I have missed it so much. Much Love!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on December 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm