Nov 25

Tour the Original Home

Good morning, friends! I’ve enjoyed reading your enthusiastic comments following Thursday’s location reveal of Blog Cabin 2014. Winter Haven, Fla. is truly a gem that we’ll explore in detail in the coming months. For now, let’s focus on the original home in all its glory.

Blog Cabin 2014

You’ve taken the indoor-outdoor photo tour, but I have a little something extra for you. So, grab your coffee, kick back and take a look:

What are your favorite details of the home? Let’s talk!

• Posted at 11:55 am on November 11, 2013

1. Thanks for the tour, Kayla. I can relate to this classic home and its great original features. We have a lot in common — especially after some of the renovations are done!

That's a grand old furnace in the basement. Sure hope it finds another purpose either in the new Blog Cabin or refurbished for a local home. Cool vintage ice box too. I'm wondering what imaginative use it will be put to at the home's lakeside location.

I'm ready for this Winter Haven, Florida journey, compliments of DIY.

DBCoop on November 25, 2013 at 4:32 pm
  2. I'm loving this home already, we are in for one enjoyable ride.

Eugenia27 on November 25, 2013 at 5:41 pm
  3. Enjoy reading previous posts. Trouble with my computer. Hope I can get it to function soon, sure want to see these videos. I still have my Aunt's old Wood Ironing Board. Use it when I need to iron. And, my Great Aunt's Ice Box. Also, a small thick Marble top table with thick carved legs that cross and connect in the middle that was my great Grandmother's. Enjoy these as a reminder of family. Wonder if the furnace is the big old coal burning type? Have to see these videos soon.
    Will try to get help at home asap to fix it. my best to all, Nan ;) <3 ;) <3

Nan on November 25, 2013 at 6:00 pm
  4. My favorite details of the home? I think it has to be its charm. French doors, fireplace window placement, it just seems charming. I think it will be even more so when DIY and all work their magic! I think this one is going to be a heart breaker!

Downonthefarm on November 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm
    • I love those French doors, I hope they can be kept.

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2013 at 9:21 am
    • I'm a sucker for French doors. My grandparents had rental lake cabins when I was really young. They were rustic log cabins with running water through a hand pump in great old farm sinks. French doors opened out to lovely decks that overlooked the lake. French doors just stir up all kind of good feelings for me; of family and fun and coziness!

Downonthefarm on November 26, 2013 at 4:44 pm
  5. I just love the bungalow and the widow's walk. I would love to see the Ice box remade into an ice chest for an outdoor kitchen. I would also love to see the old Hercules furnace turn into a wood burning stove for the living room! would love to see Anitra and her crew create a Mega den out of the Widow's walk! There needs to be room for a basement at the lake so that there could be shelter away from any storm.

Deborah Maness on November 25, 2013 at 7:30 pm
    • Because of the high water table in FL, especially lakeside, I imagine a basement would not be possible. A more appropriate solution for a storm shelter would be a "safe room" with reinforced concrete walls.

Jean on January 9, 2014 at 5:01 pm
  6. Hope they are going to keep the basement, and I would also like 3 bedrooms. Either way I don't care, if I win its something I didn't have before. I know the DIY team will do a fantastic job as they have done in the past. Cannot wait to see all the pictures that hopefully will be starting soon!!!! It will be very interesting to see what they use and keep. I agree Deborah would love to see another mega den. Again, I can hardly wait!!!!!

atthebeach2play on November 25, 2013 at 9:41 pm
    • I agree, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths!

vagrammie3 on November 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm
  7. I see only one bathroom, can we add another. Maybe add a mud room / fish cleaning station in the garage. :)

pappysfav on November 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm
    • As the garage is not attached to the house, I don't think they will take it with the house when it is moved. I hope they do add a garage. There needs to be a place to keep all those water toys.

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2013 at 9:19 am
  8. My first impression when I saw the exterior was that it might have been a Sears kit, thanks for the link, Utah Vicki.
    I am drawn to the breakfast nook off the kitchen. Many years ago at my great aunt's house in Ft. Worth us cousins had lunch at her breakfast nook and we all loved it. The big breakfast table in the middle of the kitchen and the nook were all decorated in what would now be called the retro 40's & 50s look. Very cool.
    Maybe the old ironing board can be used as a shelf mantle on the fireplace?
    The sun room & porch are great, can be used as sleeping porches, too?
    The widow's walk offers so many possibilities.
    I see some space issues and DIY may be adding on to the cottage.
    Roof lines are fantastic.
    Agree that the old furnace has a future life as well as the old icebox.
    The design team has just got to be going happy crazy with this one. I hope they can Arts & Crafts this baby up and make it a mini FLW showplace.
    I'm giddy with anticipation.
    WCG
    PS, hubby said I need to explain FLW – Frank Lloyd Wright. Sorry about that.

Wind Chime Girl on November 25, 2013 at 11:18 pm
    • WCG I have seen a lot of these houses in Los Angeles, and the ironing board was removed, and the space was made into a spice cupboard. Very easy to do, just add shelves. as it is not very deep. I agree the design team will have fun with this one.

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2013 at 9:15 am
    • What a good idea to keep spices and herbs out of light. I have mine in an old CD/DVD 3' high spin rack and I have to make sure they aren't in any direct light. It's like a really tall, skinny Lazy Susan, only now used for spices & seasonings. It works great.
      I'm on pins waiting to see what the design team has for this home.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 26, 2013 at 10:18 pm
    • Yes, I agree that there are space issues, as 2 bedrooms limits the use for a lot of people who have children and guests. Yet the design of the house seems so complete as is. It's going to be really interesting to see how this is redone.

vagrammie3 on November 27, 2013 at 12:17 am
  9. Thanks Kayla. How thoughtful for you to give us a tour of the original house before it get cut up for the move. I think it will be difficult to keep the basement. When our 1916 house was moved (three miles) we lost the basement. We live in California and it was replaced with an up to date EARTHQUAKE foundation.

Petraathen on November 26, 2013 at 1:12 am
  10. For those people out there who are wondering what might be done while remodeling, refurbishing this house, just go to the DIY site, and look at all the many styles of houses, listed as "Best Curb Appeal" homes. This will show all the possibilities what might happen to this Blog Cabin 2014. If you notice on all those before and after photos, look to see, in almost every one of them, how the taller, unmanaged trees and shrubbery have been removed, and replaced with more modern, manageable landscaping. So, if you have any project you have outside your home this coming year, you will get lots of great ideas from all those photos.

What might happen to BC 2014, is anyone's guess, so lets just be "Patient", and wait for the remodel. I am sure, the end result will be magnificent, when you surround an old home, with the most up-to-date features, and very clever and crafty workers, who take price in their work. In today's hurry, hurry society, pride seems to be left at the wayside in a lot of building.

Builder on November 26, 2013 at 8:17 am
    • Hi Builder, haven't seen you for awhile, I love the big old tall trees, but don't like raking the leaves in the fall. So I can see why they have been removed and replaced with more manageable landscaping. .

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2013 at 9:26 am
    • Ahh, Vicki, I can't believe you might subscribe to 'big old tall tree' removal. From what I could tell in the videos, the lot has live oaks. And the patch isn't very big. Live Oaks lose their teensy leaves here in the spring and immediately sprout new ones. That is – the ones that haven't succumbed to the dreaded OAK WILT. We only have a few live oaks left on our place and we are scrambling to protect them.
      In fall, we rake/blow our other oak tree leaves into the gardens for mulch and wait for spring.
      I didn't see one tree on that little lot that needed to be removed. And there is no big Live Oak that ever needs to be removed – oh, please, never.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 26, 2013 at 10:50 pm
    • Builder, what you see as impatient, i see as enthusiasm. This is a blog, we have have been asked to comment. I am reading a lot of positive posts here.

Crafter10 on November 26, 2013 at 9:45 am
    • That is the fun part of BC is to blog about what we think, and ???, at least thats what I like about it.

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2013 at 9:55 am
    • Crafter10,
      Yes, 'Builder' is always calling us down. But I pay him no mind.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 26, 2013 at 10:54 pm
    • Hey, I was not calling anyone "down", I was just stating things that can possibly be done to this home. I am always looking at it from the construct aspect. Not all ideas that some folks have are always possible, or feasible, and not being allowed because of area building codes.

Builder on November 27, 2013 at 10:45 am
    • Builder, there you go taking what I said wrong. I'll tell you what you are always telling us bloggers, "Relax & take a breath".
      No offense meant.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 28, 2013 at 7:40 pm
    • Builder please leave the large Oak Tree, the ambiance they give is like stepping back in time. Place a swing and a few outside chairs underneath with a cool glass of sweet tea on a hot afternoon …. makes for some interesting memories.

pappysfav on November 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    • I don't see DIY removing a lot of the existing trees from the property. Much, as in the past DIY is usually very diligent about clearing only what is necessary for construction and I really don't see a lot of so called trash shrub or trees so far.

540sam on November 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    • sam-

I agree with you 100%. Finding a good location for the home on the new site will be the first thing that will be done, saving all the existing trees and shrubs, if they fit into the overall theme.

Looking at that last video, I am sure the stairway going downstairs, if there will be a basement, will definitely be moved to one side of that room. I worked on a newer house one time that had an exact same layout for the stairway going downstairs, and it sure did spoil a lot of great space. Why not have it along one side of a wall, with 2 tiers, similar to the BC 2013? That really opens things up, and makes things very attractive. Who knows, perhaps, if we are lucky, they will just build an elevated walkout, raising the home even more, to make up for the existing basement space. Afterall, this is a pretty low house to begin with.

I know, I am thinking outside the box right now, but I can see endless possibilities, codes allowing, of course.

Hope everyone enjoys Thanksgiving.

Builder on November 26, 2013 at 3:30 pm
    • Right you are, but I can't see them going below grade at that location, if anything they will be above grade with any living space. As you said, endless possibilities.

540sam on November 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm
    • That close to a lake, I don't think they will put the house on a basement. I know the water table might be higher there, then where the house is now.

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    • Vicki, I agree. The water tables in Fla. are very high.
      If they could manage a basement, that would be great. But I've seen horror stories about basement dampness and flooding.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 26, 2013 at 10:33 pm
    • Vicki-
      I was referring to another level, not a basement. Sorry for the confusion. To replace the space lost for the old basement, just raise the house another 8-10', making extra room for all the new services, electric panel, plumbing, heating, etc., and extra living space. I guess I have worked in construction so long that I can see all those possibilities. All this would surely be possible, since the movers will already have the house elevated on cribbing, so a new foundation can be built. Yes, on this site, a basement will not work.

Was it the Dream Home that was really elevated?

Builder on November 27, 2013 at 10:36 am
    • pappysfav,
      Sweetie, the person on this blog who calls himself 'Builder' doesn't have anything to do with BC 2014. So don't worry about what he says, they are only his opinions. We all have opinions here, so don't let anything we say get you 'going' about anything permanent regarding BC 2014. Only the DIY network has the final answer.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 26, 2013 at 11:04 pm
    • Are those oak trees, or cypress trees? Oak trees typically do not grow in wet soils, with higher water tables. It will be very interesting to see how the septic system will be built, whether it can be a regular drain field, or a mound system.

Builder on November 27, 2013 at 10:49 am
    • The plot is described as having mature oak and pine trees, no cypress.

DannyF on November 29, 2013 at 6:39 pm
    • Danny,
      Thanks for the note. I guess I missed that in the plot description. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. :)

Builder on November 29, 2013 at 7:47 pm
    • Florida is lousy with Live Oaks. And most have the hanging moss. There are other oaks as well.
      In our area of Texas, the Live Oaks have naturalized to drought conditions. We aren't even supposed to water them. Nature has a nice way of adapting.
      Regarding the septic system, maybe that problem will be solved if the development has a waste management system – good. Otherwise, hmm?
      WCG