Nov 21

Explore the Blog Cabin 2014 Location

It’s finally time to announce the location of Blog Cabin 2014. You all have been so incredibly patient, but I won’t leave you waiting any longer. Watch our exclusive announcement video, then browse through “before the renovation” photos to get a tour of the home at this very moment.

Enjoy! I can’t wait to hear what you all think!

Editor’s Note: I’m so glad you all love the location of Blog Cabin 2014 and are enthusiastic about discovering more about the home. But, we must remove any comments that mention addresses out of pure respect and privacy of neighbors. Please keep this in mind as you continue to comment now and on future posts. Thank you, and keep the wonderful comments flowing in.

• Posted at 10:15 am on November 11, 2013

1. Thanks Kayla, it was worth the wait…so happy Chris Grundy will be with us again.

vicki_in_Utah on November 21, 2013 at 11:09 am
    • Glad you love it, vicki_in_Utah!

Kayla@HGTV on November 21, 2013 at 11:13 am
    • Kayla do you have the link to video?

Kris on November 21, 2013 at 4:07 pm
  2. I like it! Lots of light and it has character. I could work with this!

vagrammie3 on November 21, 2013 at 11:11 am
  3. I am finding a different group of lakes in Winter Haven. They are Lake Rochelle, Lake Alfred, Lake Henry and Lake Hamilton. The ones earlier are listed in "Winter Park. It gets confusing since they look pretty close together. Guess I'll keep looking since my computer isn't going to cooperate.:S At any rate there are many, many things to do around there. This is gonna be great Kayla?

Sheri McNamara on November 21, 2013 at 11:20 am
    • You're absolutely correct….I searched for Winter Park, not Winter Haven. I found 20+ lakes surrounding Winter Haven that are part of the "Chain of Lakes". This could be a challenge!

RLD on November 21, 2013 at 11:50 am
    • amen!:)

Sheri McNamara on November 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm
    • Try Lake Howard, Lake Shipp, Lake Hartridge, Lake Cannon all in WH and on chain.

Kathi Latimer on November 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    • I work in Winter Haven and it is an incredible city that is growing and developing in all the right ways. Polk County itself has 554 Lakes and boasts not only LEGOLAND Florida but also Bok Tower Gardens, Fantasy of Flight and many other great attractions. Not to mention all of the wonderful small businesses, unique restaurants and arts & culture.

Kateworth8283 on November 21, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    • Sheri, the lakes you mentioned are not on "the Chain". With 5 acres of vacant land, the site you are looking for is probably not close to the city. Look more to the lakes on the chain on the outskirts. Maybe SE near Legoland.

ASV on November 22, 2013 at 10:22 am
    • Thank you ASV,everytime I start looking at maps,I see more lakes! I know that Kayla/DIYNetwork/Scripps and anyone I may not have mentioned, will lead us to that wonderful land and fabulous home when they are ready. Now this is the tough part, we just have to be calm and imaginative until they are ready. That whole area, Winter Haven, and surrounding areas are beautiful so looking at the area through pictures works for me.Besides, I am already visualizing the house inside and out for ideas. That's what I really enjoy. Anyway, thanks for straightening me out. I can use the help. lol:)

Sheri McNamara on November 22, 2013 at 5:11 pm
    • I've watched the announcement video several times and I believe there is a little misleading there. It says Winter Haven is home of the Chain of Lakes, but doesn't really say the 5 acres is on the chain. I think the site is really Lake Hamilton, a large lake just a few miles east of Winter Haven near Hwy 27. Lake Hamilton is not as heavily built on as the lakes on the chain closer to the city. There is one scene with a large building or something in the background. That may be Lake Region Country Club which sits on the SW side of Lake Hamilton or a retirement community that is located on the SE side. With all the natural land on this lake, I truly believe it is not on the chain and really fits Lake Hamilton.

ASV on November 22, 2013 at 11:21 pm
    • The 5 acre plot is definitely on lake Hamilton. We know that from Scripps themselves. Some of us have found the plot but DIY has deleted our posts with the address shown for very good reasons (see the Editors Note above). I'm sorry I, and others, posted the address of the house presently and the plot it will be moved to. I apologize but we weren't to know that this year DIY didn't want to publish the BC location as they have in past years. Rest assured the house is moving to a plot on Lake Hamilton as they say.

AnniesOwn on November 22, 2013 at 11:46 pm
    • You would be correct. I live about 10 minutes from that general area.

Sandra M. on January 19, 2014 at 11:00 pm
  4. Ok, so I'm lost.
    Where is the location video?
    Found the before and after pics, but no video in sight.

Addy243 on November 21, 2013 at 11:23 am
    • Hi Addy243 – It's embedded in the post. It should automatically load for you.

Kayla@HGTV on November 21, 2013 at 11:25 am
    • Thanks, Kayla, but that isn't happening. Perhaps it isn't working because I'm on an iPad.
      Do you know if it is QuickTime enabled?
      BTW, welcome Kayla!

Addy243 on November 21, 2013 at 11:28 am
    • Thanks, Addy! I'm trying to figure out what the issue may be.

Kayla@HGTV on November 21, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    • it's the Ipad. i had the same issue, switched to my Mac

vagrammie3 on November 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    • Thanks. I was afraid of that. Drat. I really only have my iPads.It's odd though, since the Blog Cabin had been enabling QuickTime.Oh well, I hope they can remedy it soon.

Addy243 on November 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm
    • The iPad is the issue. The video runs fine on my Mac, but not on my iPad. The problem has to be related to Adobe Flash….iPads (iPhones & iPods too) do not run flash because of the impact Flash has on the battery. Flash is processor intensive and drains the battery fairly quickly.

RLDorf on November 25, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    • The Video was taken on the northeast side of Lake Hamilton. Winter Haven is on the north west side of the lake. The south & west side is the town of Lake Hamilton. the rest is in the county.

Mal Shepherd on November 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm
    • The video of the plot is on the NW side of the lake. :)

AnniesOwn on November 25, 2013 at 5:52 pm
    • I think you need to check your compass. o.0 That plot, which DIY has expressly asked people not to divulge, is on the NW side of the lake. ;)

Did you take DannyF's advice and get a little more well informed about what Blog Cabin is? :)

AnniesOwn on November 25, 2013 at 10:43 pm
    • Yup…definitely NW. The canal to Middle Lake Hamilton is across from the BC site. There is a large mobile home park that I believe you can see in the video….a bunch of white trailers. The trailer park is across the N bay from the BC site, occupying much of what is called Bonars Island, which is only an island during times of high water. The BC parcel actually faces SE. Some misc lake info: From the N end of the bay that the BC is on, to the S most shore is approximately 2.5 miles. The width of the lake at its widest is approximately 2 miles. Looking straight out from the property's shoreline (looking SE) the opposite shore is approx. ½ mile away.

RLDorf on November 25, 2013 at 7:32 pm
  5. I just clicked through the 79 pictures, boy there are lots and lots of windows. The upstairs is all windows. Hope they keep the door knobs.

vicki_in_Utah on November 21, 2013 at 11:23 am
    • I love a house with wall-to-wall windows. There's nothing better than natural light.

Kayla@HGTV on November 21, 2013 at 11:26 am
    • The view will be amazing!

Debbie on November 21, 2013 at 11:34 am
    • Living in cold country, we don't have many windows. That is one thing i miss about calif. you could have lots of windows. But those windows look like there is such a great view. Can't wait to see what they are going to do with the up stairs. Thanks Kayla for your response.

vicki_in_Utah on November 21, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    • I agree, I like the glass door knobs. There are a lot of windows to be replaced to with stand storms.

Bonnie on November 22, 2013 at 9:56 am
    • Those upper rooms with all the windows came in handy in late summer. With no AC families kept cots in the upper room and would all sleep up there on hot sticky nights.

MrMoogy2 on January 4, 2014 at 2:27 pm
  6. I anxiously await each and every house that HGTV and DYI build and remodel hoping that one of the rooms could be that wonderful creative ART STUDIO that I so long for. The "widows walk" in this Blog Cabin would be a perfect room to inspire an artist and to create in. It will be so fun to watch this cabins glory unfold.

smokesmom on November 21, 2013 at 11:27 am
    • I agree – an artist studio would be perfect!

Vagrammie on November 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm
  7. GEEZE!!! And to think I thought that they might be off the hook in not having to "Lift" the house to avoid storm surges…… Where the heck are they MOVING that piece of history? We have yet to find out the final destination of this bad boy. Please tell me they did a complete and through termite inspection this time. You know you have to have your house tented at least once a year in Florida. Especially a stick built version. This is so old Florida.

Ashtabulannie on November 21, 2013 at 11:31 am
    • I'm not sure who told you, you have to have your house tented once a year in Florida, that's not true. I've lived in Florida for 10 years, and as long as you have it inspected regularly, and have your grounds treated, you're fine unless an inspection turns up signs of an issue. Then the grounds around the home are drilled and treated. Only if the home is found to be infested is it tented.

Carol on November 22, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    • Wow. Termites are expensive. This isn't he only home given away in these contests in Fla.. If the home was made of steel/glass/brick/slate etc, there wouldn't be any termites.

LemonChiffon on November 22, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    • Afraid you're mistaken on that, LemonChiffon. Even Brick homes can get termites in areas which have lots of ground moisture and humidity. My house is all-brick and a few years ago, even though we treated for "general indoor bugs," I discovered termite larvae eating their way through my internal sheetrock! Aaaargh! Remember that even brick houses are framed! These little creeps poked several holes in a general area near my kitchen overnight! And i don't think they were dropping by for my creative cuisine either! Of course the problem got treated immediately, but termites don't care whose home they chow down on. Then one also should watch out for carpenter bees….
      B):So.0<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm
    • I don't think I have ever heard of carpenter bees. That sounds very scary.

Eugenia27 on November 24, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    • Carpenter bees aren't aggressive with people, they are slow fliers and they are look , well, big! They bore into wood, make a 45 degree tunneling turn and lay their eggs "indoors" (the tunnel or area they've found). native to warmer areas, their holes into wood or siding are near perfect circles, about 3/4 inch diameter. The only way to keep them out is to catch them in the act. A racket, ping pong paddle or similar flat thing and yourself can get 'em one at a time… If they've invaded already, the grown up larva will return to their former nest and start a new family next year. The holes must be treated individually, then plugged. We fought them for 11 years to little avail in our last home, which was cedar and stone. We used to call out a bee-keeper from their Bee association to do the job. Not difficult, but time consuming, if the property becomes infested. I knew nothing about them at first, so The few holes I caught, I thought were wood knots that came out… duh! live and learn!!! The pests ignored the stone, but loved the solid cedar board siding…. Just a pesky southern weather thing to watch for. :| :S:o<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm
    • Oh goodness Kitty that does not sound fun.

vicki_in_Utah on November 24, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    • Hi Carol, sorry. Guess times have changed. I grew up in Lake Worth, Florida in the 1950's BCA=Before Central Air Conditioning. Well actually before Air Conditioning period. And every year it was the same routine. Pack up the kitchen and leave for a few days. Although many of my relatives do require the tenting procedure about every couple of years. Termites were so bad in my brothers place (1910 ) stick build in Lauderdale that they came up thru the floor and up into the wood end table which one day simply toppled over and was infested with termites. Pretty funny. They should've moved the furniture and cleaned once in a while.

Ashtabulannie on November 22, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    • You said "this time" That one home had some old termite damage in Carolina I thnk.

LemonChiffon on November 22, 2013 at 3:48 pm
    • Sorry Annie, but I'm 55 years old and I'm a "native" floridian (I know, they're aren't many), but it's "NOT" true you have to tent your house every year here! People only have their house tented "if, after being inspected, it is determined that you "do" have termites. If you have a "wood" house you have to have it "inspected" every few years, but not tented! You do want to watch the type of yard mulch that you use, because some of them will attract termites. That's why a lot of home owners in Florida now use "rubber" mulch. You also need to make sure you don't keep old wood in your yard and no flowers/shrubs real close to the house, as these will all attract termites.

Linda on January 4, 2014 at 3:36 am
  8. I love the 'widow's walk' and all the windows. How many bedrooms will it have? Need at least 3, and please add a garage and some storage. I have not been to Winter Haven but it seems to be a nice place to live near or visit. The lake location is a good decision.

vagrammie3 on November 21, 2013 at 11:35 am
    • There is a detached garage, I hope it is in good enough shape to use. There is a picture of it in the 79 pictures. I think close to the end of them.

vicki_in_Utah on November 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    • yes, I see it now. i wonder if it would be worth it to move it.

vagrammie3 on November 21, 2013 at 1:30 pm
    • I have to agree with you, there has to be a huge garage for autos, and boats, keep safe. I don't think they can move that garage for what they will need.

annieTX on December 27, 2013 at 2:10 pm
    • I agree – the widow's walk is my favorite part, so far. What a great place to put my telescope!

TwoCorgis on November 21, 2013 at 2:18 pm
    • I'm thinking art studio with a cocktail area!

vagrammie3 on November 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm
  9. Wow! Just like Christmas. It comes early on the West Coast! I haven't even had my glass of Florida orange juice yet. (Fresh squeezed, not from concentrate, naturally.)

Okay DIY, let's get movin! Folks out here in Blogland are ready, willing and anxious to sit at this Blog Cabin kitchen table!

DBCoop on November 21, 2013 at 11:36 am
    • That must be nice, DBCoop! East Coasters have to wait patiently, while West Coasters can soak up the announcement with breakfast.

Kayla@HGTV on November 21, 2013 at 11:40 am
    • Can't wait! What a dream come true this would be!

bythebaydreamer on February 5, 2014 at 7:39 pm
  10. Of all the places! As I mentioned in an earlier post, my family owned property in Winter Haven back in the 1880s-90s. They were right on one of the lakes (I'll have to go back through the old papers and see which one), which ended up being the worst place to have an orange grove during a frost. All the moisture coated the oranges and the freeze was especially bad that year. Eventually, the family had to give up the property and my 3rd great grandfather got a job with a gas company. Wouldn't it be crazy if the BC property was near my family's old property?

TwoCorgis on November 21, 2013 at 11:51 am
    • That would be amazing, TwoCorgis. Better take a look back into that family history book!

DBCoop on November 21, 2013 at 12:16 pm
    • I just checked through the papers that the Polk County library sent to me. It looks like my family planted their orange groves "along both sides of Spring Lake". This may also be where my 3rd great grandmother is buried, so I am very interested in this particular area.

TwoCorgis on November 21, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    • Wow Two! What an interesting journey this is going to be for you!

Macusina on November 21, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    • I am so excited! I have never visited Florida, but it has been on my list ever since I first saw my grandmother's old pictures from the 1880s and the letter her father's grandparents wrote to her father and aunt when they were children. It described the orange groves, the workers, the lake… and the alligators. o.0

TwoCorgis on November 21, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    • Alligators on a lake? Here I was thinking that the BC would be alligator free.

Eugenia27 on November 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    • I think I have a copy of the letter at home (not sure why I'm not finding a scan of it on Ancestry.com). They definitely mentioned alligators. I think they were small ones, if that helps anything.

TwoCorgis on November 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm
    • Small alligators eat and grow BIG! When I lived in Sanford and then Deland, I remember baby alligators were sold as pets, much like tiny turtles or presently, different species of constrictor snakes–which do grow big, are carnivorous and , unfortunately, countless young anaconda, pythons and other similar genus have been let go among the many marshes and lakes of Florida. These have adapted to the milder temperatures and ample small animals' supply, so they've grown very large and long. Animal control in Florida has had to add this reptile to its search and remove species, due to its naturalizing to the area. They birth plenty extras and the issue IS real, unfortunately. I don't know how bad it is in Central FL, but the Everglades have declared this a major concern. B):So.0:o<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    • hummmm, more reason for me to rethink moving to the south east. I guess I need to convince my family to move to the NW.

Eugenia27 on November 24, 2013 at 3:59 pm
    • this would be amazing corgis…..

twoterriers on November 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • TwoCorgis, this is so exciting! Can hardly wait to hear whether and where your Family may have lived and owned property in Florida!!! :D My family did also ~~more than once! My dad was a missionary and served as pastor in Sanford, FL, where my big sister was born. Then, of course, we lived in the Church Pastor's Manse, which pastors don't own. Years later, we returned and lived in Deland, where Daddy was pastor of 1st Presbyterian there~~just across from Stetson University. I remember Deland much better than Sanford, but both cities are charming, not too far north and east of Blog Cabin 2014. But here's the real clinker to me, where the link may not be in direct significance to Winter Haven, this is NOT FAR, on the East Coast and is connected to my family too! There is very good info there concerning types of trees and plants that grow well there, and mentions insects and birds too~~these would all be common to Blog Cabin! Here's my back story: The Wikepedia information not only mentions my Great-Grandfather, Martin C (MC) Hillery and the land he purchased, but I discovered HOW GGrandpa Martin found out about it, way up in New Britain, CT, which was his/my family's home base! Never knew this till today! I mean In 1909, how would a New Englander get word about "Number Nine Plantation" at the FL Coast~~Ormond Beach, A Large parcel of real estate and just buy it??? The owner and founder, who sold to him, was known to my Great Grandfather back home! Small World! I saw guavas on the list of fruit~~if you do win the BC 2014 Beauty, be sure and plant GUAVA trees. The fruit is delicious and funny, the way it produces. If you've never seen one, Google guava. The fruit look like big round bumps growing directly out of/ up the bark–not branches. :D :D xD:p http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormond-By-The-Sea,_F… <3<3;)

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 24, 2013 at 5:43 pm
    • It sounds like you love doing research as much as I do! I confirmed that my family was in Winter Haven in the 1880s and 1890s. They owned land all around Spring Lake (about 6 or 7 miles west of Lake Hamilton. Between the great frost and the death of my 3rd Great Grandmother, it was a tough time for the family. My 3rd Great Grandfather remarried, had another son, lost his second wife, and finally gave up the land and went to work for the gas company in Jacksonville, FL. Kind of a sad ending. Interestingly enough, my grandfather's siblings (on the other side of the family) all ended up retiring to that same general area. My grandparents actually went to visit them back in the early 1970s, and my grandmother never realized she was walking in the footsteps of her ancestors!

TwoCorgis on November 25, 2013 at 11:02 am
    • That is in ways, a sad story, 2Corgis! Still an amazing family story! All my family ancestry in America is/was based in New England and Virginia. I'm really into Genealogy as a hobby, so yes, research is in my blood. My Great Grandfather I mentioned was from Connecticut and vacationed in Maine in a town neighboring Blog Cabin 2012! i was really into that BC–it's still on the market, according to Bloggie Camac, with whom i still correspond–she lives up the street from that BC. :) I knew lots about Maine, for my roots dig deeply there since the Founding Fathers. I still believe the 2 biggest mistakes (others were of lesser importance) made at that BC were the removal of interior stair access to cellar and removal of 1st floor powder room. Unfortunately, those are key, when you're snowed in for several months at time and need access to home systems and extra pantry supplies–HUGE in Maine. Sad for the BC Winner Thompsons. They just live too far, in KY. Back to family, though; it was kind of interesting about Florida, because nobody really was connected there from my forbears, except for the few years my Dad pastored in the USA, when we were on missionary furlough–otherwise–NADA! Except one thing: my great grandpa happened to be friends with the Founder and owner of the famous Number Nine Plantation at what is now Ormonde Beach, in Volusia County. I knew his family, my grandmother as a young teenager, were very delighted to buy that 176 acre orchard with over 55 types of fruit and 1500 orange, grapefruit, lime, guava and kumquat trees. I don't think that as a businessman, my Great Grandpa knew how to run a world-known orchard, for its delicacies and #9 guava jellies and other goodies made onsite and actually distributed all over, even some foreign countries. I mean Their jellies were sold at the White House and to the Rockefellers' who also had their Summer place a few doors down. My grandmother carved her name initials into a window of the big house that was built with wood parts of the ship that had sunk in front of their land. Now That is RE~PURPOSING!!! Number Nine is so significant Historically , with the big house built atop Timucuan Indian Shell Mounds, so the building had great view of the panorama, within the city of Ormond , as well as the tower built for observation of German U-Boats and Submarines which threatened all up and down the coast. Beach–that I didn't know. No, I think my great gramps probably should have just focused upon his Connecticut home and his New Harbor Maine property's. but having tourist traipsing through the house and manufacture and packaging areas was challenging. #9 stayed with the family only about 3-4 years, then they sold and focused on an antebellum property in Savanna, GA. for family get-aways., but never let go of Maine MidCoast area, returning every year till death one by one. Wouldn't it be fascinating to know what the houses or the pathways and ponds or tide tripping ocean would say about our ancient relatives? There's actually several mentions both in Wikipedia and on Googgle for Number Nine Plantation. I saw many news article, references to #9 Plantation, many of which told in detail, the story of the place which started in the late 1800s. Don't guess people went spas and/or exercised much back then–they had afternoon Teas or Desert gatherings to chat–and stuff themselves with confections made at Number Nine! Just that brief venture my great-grampa thought he's try to make some fortune with, yet sold relatively soon and all we cousins have left is that our NANA got in heap big trouble for scratching her name into the wooden sill (That luscious wood gleaned from the shipwreck in front of their land)~~she grew up to be an artist, so I'm sure she was very neat with her work, but she got quite a few lickings' for her implant. My Cousin Visited the big house which is all that remains now; the present owners were gracious to let her in and she verified–"DORIS CAROLYN HILLERY was here 1909… Nothin' Doin'!" [I belive that's the translation for "Boring" for a teen back at the turn of the century. :) :D ^_^<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 26, 2013 at 12:27 am