Nov 19

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue Three

So, some of you have gotten so close it’s scary. So close that your map pin would be right on top of Blog Cabin 2014. But I like to stay one step ahead, so that’s all I’m saying. Now, for clue number three:

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue Three

Other than, perhaps, making you salivate or wish you were spending the afternoon outdoors, what could this third hint mean? Try digging below the surface. Maybe the fruit’s hue is significant? Or maybe you need to dig into the history books to crack this one? Or maybe we’re heading to the El Dorado State this time around? Only time will tell…

Keep sharing your guesses, and check back Thursday for the location reveal of Blog Cabin 2014!

Missed the first two hints? Play the guessing game with us!

• Posted at 2:39 pm on November 11, 2013

1. An Orange! Am I reading more into this than the obvious??

Debbie on November 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm
    • So far…sticking to my guns….El Dorado, Florida…Lake Harris….the pics are awesome!:)

Debbie on November 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm
    • Looks like an orange to me, Debbie. :)

Lessie on November 19, 2013 at 9:24 pm
  2. Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Orange.
    Orange who?
    Orange you glad there's a new clue? :-)

Downonthefarm on November 19, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    • :)

twoterriers on November 19, 2013 at 6:09 pm
    • Cute, Down.

Lessie on November 19, 2013 at 9:25 pm
  3. Well the obvious choice would be Fl since it is the orange state, but I still want to go with my original gut choice of Savannah GA due to the second clue. Tybee Island (island off of Savannah) has an Orange Crush event when the abnormally colored pink sand changes colors. Perhaps that is what this clue is about? Who knows, but I can't wait to find out :)

SJo13 on November 19, 2013 at 3:20 pm
    • I think you are on to something with the sand changing color – as in "digging below the surface" and the "hue" of the orange. I don't anything about Tybee Island, but Savannah certainly is in the history books.

Vagrammie3 on November 19, 2013 at 3:32 pm
    • Thanks. Also, Tybee Island is small, almost 3,000 people. It still has all the history and charm of Savannah, but is smaller in population like the other DIY home locations

SJo13 on November 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm
    • SJo13, love your facts. Hope you're right.

Lessie on November 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm
    • That would be awesome! Love Tybee!

Lulubelle13 on November 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm
    • See, thats what I've been thinking, Tybee island, 30 min. from me in Savannah. The orange really stumped me until I read your blog about the sand, didn't know that little fact! Thanks for the info SJo13!!! If the BC is on Tybee I can keep an eye on things!! Yeah!!

debofsav on November 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    • thought provoking for sure……i lived in savannah as a young child………….lovely place, strong in arts and culture…..and they used to have a wonderful "buffet" at the pirates restaurant which was beyond belief….southern fried pecan chicken…..it was wonderful and of excellent quality…….savannah is definitely a place everyone should visit…..one of if not the first planned city in the US….consists of beautiful architecture and azaleas, spanish moss galore…..tybee is close by…

twoterriers on November 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    • I remember Sweet Potato Biscuits at The Pirates House in Savannah…Yum and gas lit streets. Sigh
      Yes a great place!…good memories ! Not the least bit familiar with Tybee Island
      Clever clues if it is Tybee

Straybird on November 19, 2013 at 8:12 pm
  4. The El Dorado state is California but there's no live oak in Caliifornia. o.0

AnniesOwn on November 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    • Just found an article at http://www.bubblews.com/news/242094-some-californ… about live oaks with spanish moss in Templeton Gap wine country in North San Luis Obipso County, California. That's kind of crazy.

ladybyrd on November 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm
    • That would be so cool if it was in North San Luis Obipso Calif. But the taxes there are extremely high.
      But i am thinking more south, Florida would be to easy, so maybe Georgia.

vicki_in_Utah on November 19, 2013 at 4:34 pm
    • Yes, I agree. It's just that Florida gets picked a lot for the Scripps houses. Where ever it ends up it will be fun to watch the build.

ladybyrd on November 19, 2013 at 5:10 pm
    • Apparently, there are old gold mines in the same area, orange groves and a big reservoir for speedboats.;) Also the image on Chris Grundy's Oct 15th FB page could be somewhere in the lower Californian Mts. ^_^

Wher oh where can it be. :D

Clive on November 19, 2013 at 7:10 pm
    • This is just an FYI for AnniesOwn, California is full of live Oak Trees. It is the Spanish Moss hanging in such abundance that may be a little rare. How ever over my life time of 64yrs. and going for many rides I seem to remember seeing some. It has been a long time so I will do a little more research on that end. The last clue did make me think the property could be in California but SJo13 made some good points regarding GA. Have fun, Rose

Rose on November 20, 2013 at 6:55 pm
  5. Thank you, thank you Kayla. Not real sure yet but you have given me some awesome clues to work on.xD Now I can quit whining and get "crackin'"

Sheri McNamara on November 19, 2013 at 3:33 pm
  6. I'm going to go with the area around Lake Hicpochee in Fla. I didn't see enough current in the first picture for the location to be along the Caloosahatchee River, but it could be. Oranges, bananas, moss covered live oaks, gotta be Florida. But I would love to hear I'm wrong and that the next BC will be around the Charleston. Very nostalgic area.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    • Sounds good WCG, everyone seems to be forgetting Grundy's scene in the ski boat which was obviously on a large lake.

540sam on November 19, 2013 at 4:02 pm
    • There is an El Dorado Florida located on Lake Harris…..hmmmm

Debbie on November 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm
    • I had wondered if the boat picture was on an inland waterway. The plant life looks like saltwater Marsh to me. Though I may have to leave team SC now.

Lulubelle13 on November 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm
    • The Caloosahatchee River is used as an inland waterway to Okeechobee and from there a canal to the Atlantic coast. The river gets really wide in some places but there is usually a nice current. Real estate prices tanked there so badly a few years ago, that DIY could pick up a fixer-upper for a song.
      I don't know what the land is around Lake Hicpochee, but I picked that area instead of the bigger Okeechobee. I'm going to Google or Bing to take a looksee.
      But since I have absolutely NO idea, will have to wait a couple more days to find out.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on November 19, 2013 at 4:34 pm
    • I think you are right about the " Caloosahatchee River " , also think of Florida with the clue" word Crack" as in the Florida Cracker, the first settlers.

sarajane555 on November 21, 2013 at 5:38 am
  7. Leaving team SC now. Going with Louisiana now. Because I like LA better than Texas or Florida:)

Lulubelle13 on November 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    • Lived in NOLA and fell in love with the culture there….

Lulubelle13 on November 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm
  8. This may end up being a weird year for me. The Dream Home is in Lake Tahoe. My 2nd Great Grandparents (on my grandfather's side) dragged the family through there – either to or from San Francisco during the gold rush. Yellow fever chased them all back to Upstate NY around 1850 or so. The Smart Home is in Nashville. That is where my 3rd great grandparents (on my grandmother's side) lived in the late 1870s-1880s. Their daughter, my 2nd great grandmother, met and married my 2nd great grandfather there. By the 1890s, they had moved to Winter Haven, FL and had an orange grove right by the lake. Then, there was a great frost which destroyed the grove (the water from the lake didn't help matters). If BC 2014 is in Florida, I will have family ties to each location! I'm a bit obsessed with my genealogy research, so ties like this always get me excited. The rest of you are probably thinking I'm nuts with these silly connections.;)

TwoCorgis on November 19, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    • Maybe you can help me get back over the water with mine. To the 1600s on one side, well established at the first census on the other.

Lulubelle13 on November 19, 2013 at 4:33 pm
    • Looking at a map of the location of the 2013 Blog cabin, take a pin & stick it there then look at the distance of two hours away for the hanging Spanish moss & citrus trees. You might be close. On another note, when working on your family’s genealogy, be nice to the person next to you in the Library they may turn out to be related to you. The other thing to note, my Grandfather, who died in 1928, said to my Grandmother, if she keeps looking for our family we are going to be related to the monkey. So around 1913 a picture of a monkey appeared on Grandmothers genealogy chart & is still there today, so be careful what you wish for.

Lettucefields on November 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    • LOL!

Lessie on November 19, 2013 at 9:40 pm
    • Loved reading your history, Two. Thanks for sharing.

Lessie on November 19, 2013 at 9:39 pm
  9. Orange County, Florida (Orlando :) )

Tricia on November 19, 2013 at 4:17 pm
  10. HMMMM??? El Dorado,the gold coast ? In Florida on Lake Harris??? Amongst the Orange Groves? Pirates? ARRRRGH!

Ashtabulannie on November 19, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    • Yes…. The pics look very much the same

Debbie on November 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm
    • Hi Debbie, That's what I thought also! But you never know with these clues where exactly they will take you. There is a wonderful holiday resort nearby and great fishing.

Ashtabulannie on November 20, 2013 at 10:40 am