Nov 15

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

A special note from Mary: I’d like to thank you for being such a fun and supportive audience. It’s been my pleasure to blog with you over the past five years. It is now time for me to move on to new adventures. Although I must bid you farewell, I leave you in the capable hands of HGTV.com editor Kayla, who will be keeping you updated on the latest Blog Cabin developments. Kayla loves furniture with a history, her cat, D’Artagnan, and crafting with lots of glitter. If you read HGTV’s Design Happens blog, then I’m sure you recognize her — check out her posts here. Now, let’s hear from Kayla for her very first post!

Wow — talk about a warm introduction! Hi, everyone. I’m so happy to join the Blog Cabin community and interact with you all about the soon-to-be stunning home you’re going to get to know inside and out. I’ve always had a view of the Smoky Mountains from my window, so I’ve loved seeing past homes get a taste of mountain life, too. When it comes to location, I’ll always have a soft spot for Blog Cabin 2009‘s Asheville, N.C. surroundings. Design-wise, I find myself going back to the vintage-chic, waterfront home from 2011. I just want to cozy up with a glass of wine in that great room. Before we dive into this year’s home, let’s reminisce and get to know each other. From the first home in Kinzel Springs, Tenn. to this year’s Atlantic, N.C. residence, what’s your favorite Blog Cabin?

Blog Cabin 2014 Location: Clue One

Now, let’s get right down to business. Thinking caps on. Here’s your first clue to uncover the location of Blog Cabin 2014. Take a look at the water, wildlife, foliage … what are they telling you? My lips are sealed, but I’m ready to see those comments!

Check back Monday for clue number two.

• Posted at 3:27 pm on November 11, 2013

1. The bird on the left is difficult to identify from this tiny photo, but I think it's an Eastern Willet, a shorebird found along the eastern Atlantic coast, Florida and the Gulf through Texas. It's also common to salt marshes. http://www.aba.org/birding/v38n3p40.pdf
    The bird on the right is a Double Crested Cormorant, another waterbird found on all the coasts, in swamps and salt marshes..
    First choice is Florida. I can't identify the palm. We have lots of coastline to explore. Guess we should put our water shoes on for this trek.

ChicagoBirder on November 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm
  2. Sounds like Lake Rabun in Georgia

John on November 16, 2013 at 4:09 pm
    • Or Lake near Gadsden, Alabama. Hope not Pontchartrain, Louisiana–alligators–yikes! North Georgia Mountains near Dahlonega would be beautiful, but need to see some elevation…. New Mexico has pristine mountain lakes–can see bottom and trout swimming! Again, need elevation view and wondering about color of soil.

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 4:29 pm
  3. :| OK, here's the thing: that "banana" tree is VERY green, perfect, and the splits in the leaves are really quite short. Looks like a deliberate set PROP, contrasting with tall-grown brown brush and dry grass growing to water's edge…. Not a likely or logical place to plant a banana plant, sort of blocking view of waterfront and the "former dock." Probably mud-loam-base soil, not sand. Old, neglected cabin/house, perhaps bought from and estate is my guess. Dock looks worn by time, wood-rot and elements, not necessarily by storm surge. Need a horizon shot with view of water clarity before concrete guess–thinking Westward ho! B):p

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    • I agree Kitty, that bright green plant looks like it came straight from Hobby Lobby! I'm also very suspicious;) Could Kayla be as devious as our dear Mary was? :o

SID on November 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm
    • You bet! ;) :p That sight could represent just about anywhere, at this time, in the USA! See what surfaces Monday… Have a great weekend everybody!B):D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 7:14 pm
    • When my family goes to the Jersey shore, we are always amused to see palm trees along the edge of the sand and strategically placed around the condos. Apparently, they haul them out around Memorial Day, and then pack them away after Labor Day. We may indeed be reading too much into their placement in the photo. Maybe it's somewhere in the Wildwoods!

TwoCorgis on November 16, 2013 at 11:00 pm
  4. My favorite is the Atlantic NC home…my favorite place to vacation. As to the location of the new site, I'm thinking somewhere in Maine. The markings on the "fence sitter" looks a bit like a loon.

PearlsMom on November 16, 2013 at 4:31 pm
  5. My favorites were: Tennessee, Virginia 2011 was the first one I entered to win, and this last BC 2013 (which I also entered to win)

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 5:05 pm
  6. Thank you Mary, for being our eyes and ears with the BC and HGTV home blogs all these years. Good luck to you in all of your future projects. You will be very much missed!
    Welcome Kayla! And thank you for the new thread and photo, we were getting very restless for a clue to next years BC!
    Kayla, it is hard to choose a favorite BC. I practically swooned over the 2013 cottage in Atlantic NC, and I was also madly in love with the coastal Matthews, VA home, but then I fall in love all over again with the BC almost every year! I think if I had to choose a favorite "child" it would be the 2009 Blog Cabin in Asheville, NC. For one thing I love the Asheville area, but the house itself was spectacular. I loved that big Great Room with the high ceilings and huge windows, and the big deck with it's own stone fireplace! As if that wasn't enough, there was another big Family room downstairs with a second kitchen and even a man cave for hubby!
    Now onto the 2014 location….. Hmmmmmm, do I dare hope from the dock in the photo that it will be another coastal location? :p The cormorant and heron on the dock and marsh grasses could be most anywhere on the East Coast, but the bright green foliage to the left clearly looks like a palm species. That could mean anything from North Carolina to Florida. For some reason I'm thinking South Carolina – maybe just wishful thinking? And the games begin! <3B)o.0

SID on November 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm
    • SID thanks for reminding me of how amazing the 2009 Blog Cabin was, I want to change my answer now<3

I'm thinking SC too. I can just picture a Charleston inspired home with double deep porches, and a screened in sleeping porch, and a low country inspired courtyard for amazing outdoor entertaining!
      The picture certainly takes me there…..clue two on Monday might point me in another direction!

Mel on November 16, 2013 at 6:17 pm
    • :D

SID on November 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm
    • Oooo, Mel and Sid! Charleston are would be great, just about anywhere South Carolina! Especially since there's a need to "redeem" the Asheville beauty–wasn't that the one that DIY was unable to award to the winner, due to some mechanic's liens some subcontractors placed on the property? I wasn't blogging then, but I lurked and I entered. That place was awesomely beautiful!xD<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm
    • Your memory is absolutely correct Kitty! Apparently some issue with the original developer not paying one of the contractors on time made it impossible for DIY to close on the home by the deadline. DIY awarded the winner the $500,000 cash option instead. That was quite a disappointment, not only for the winner but no doubt for everyone from DIY who worked so hard on building the beautiful home. :'(

SID on November 16, 2013 at 10:07 pm
    • It's nice to meet you, SID! I figured you all must be needing a hint to this year's locale. More clues to come!

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:34 pm
  7. semi tropical gulf coast tex ala. la. miss fla.

cliff mcadams on November 16, 2013 at 7:24 pm
  8. Is Southern CA really a possibility? Probably not, but in any event I hope our next Blog Cabin and its location aren't around the Coachella Valley's Salton Sea because the area's way beyond the most extreme DIY intervention: http://prjctns.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/salton

DBCoop on November 16, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    • Yah, I think I would pass on that beauty.

Eugenia27 on November 16, 2013 at 8:39 pm
  9. We'll miss you Miss Mary! Best of luck on your new venture! Welcome Kayla! We're looking forward to the ride! This pic reminds me a lot of the Apalachicola Bay Area in Florida. Beautiful, natural area. IMHO it is definitely coastal or tide water.

moonshadow on November 16, 2013 at 9:10 pm
    • We're going to all miss Mary. And thank you for the welcome, moonshadow!

Kayla@HGTV on November 18, 2013 at 1:35 pm
  10. Gulf, maybe pan handle.

Andrea on November 16, 2013 at 9:37 pm